PDA

View Full Version : Clothes for keeping warm

hookset
12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I use underarmour or longjohns to keep warm under my breathable waders. I wanted to get some fleece liners for them. Are the fleece liners any good or should I be getting something else?

Frankiesurf
12-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Fleece is very good. Under Armor cold gear will wick away the moisture from your skin. Fleece does the same thing so the fleece may be a bit damp when you get the waders off but your legs will be dry and toasty.

Simp
12-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I use UA for my base layer and then have sweats over those, top and bottom, a hoodie for the top. A couple of pairs of socks and my feet are warm as well. Now if I could find a pair of waterproof, real WATERPROOF gloves.....I'll be out there come January.

lostatsea
12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
you could also pick up some hand warmers in the ****'s sporting goods stores. They are good for 8 hours, don't get them wet or they stop working.

ledhead36
03-09-2011, 07:02 PM
X2 on the hand warmers. I think they call them grabbermycoal or something like that.
Also if you are out wading in the back bays during the spring, wear neoprene waters that don't leak. The not leaking part is kind of important. I tested mine in Feb and had some leaks, had to seal them up with urethane cement.

stormchaser
01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I use UA for my base layer and then have sweats over those, top and bottom, a hoodie for the top. A couple of pairs of socks and my feet are warm as well. Now if I could find a pair of waterproof, real WATERPROOF gloves.....I'll be out there come January.

So it's been pretty cold out there, what gloves are you guys using?

storminsteve
01-07-2012, 08:47 PM

I like the UA too.

vpass
01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Which are the best gloves to use?

finchaser
01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
ice fishing gloves,complete dexterity and water proof made for fishing

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10848121&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_-HUNTINGCLOTHING-_-HUNTINGCLOTHING-_-SKU-8921496&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:10848121

vpass
01-10-2013, 09:06 PM
ice fishing gloves,complete dexterity and water proof made for fishing

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10848121&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_-HUNTINGCLOTHING-_-HUNTINGCLOTHING-_-SKU-8921496&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:10848121

Thanks Fin. I will look at these.

basshunter
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank you for that too finchaser.

buckethead
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
^^^^^ Good advice.
I think the insulation and materials really help above lesser priced gloves.

As for the rest of your body I have always found layers to be good. The space age materials they have nowadays (fleece, armor tek, rayon and other breathable fabrics) helps to keep you dry and wicks the perspiration away

finchaser
12-19-2013, 01:28 PM
thermo top
flannel shirt
hooded sweatshirt and rain top in snow and rain
just a pair of jeans under waders

The ladies are warming up but not quite ready had 2 this morning a 20 and a 22 Inch must have come in from mud hole as gannets were diving on herring just out of casting range

Blazin420
12-19-2013, 03:08 PM
I knew you would grab a few before the weekend Fin nice job!! Hope to go Sun morn just not liking the strong SW wind i saw predicted....

I always wear: UnderArmor(top and bottom)
Tshirt
Long sleeve tshirt
Hoodie
Rain jacket if necessary
Sweat pants and 2 pairs of wool socks...Keeps me warm most days and alot of walking

cowherder
11-15-2014, 03:56 PM
thermo top
flannel shirt

I wonder if I could ask you and any of the other guys who fish a lot in the cold if it matters what layer goes first. Some have said synthetic vs cotton because the synthetics wick the moisture away.
How about fleece vs flannel as the outer layer. Any opinions? Thanks.
It was damn cold last night and I'm just looking for a way to stay out a little longer.

ledhead36
01-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Iwhat layer goes first. Some have said synthetic vs cotton because the synthetics wick the moisture away.

I wear flannel as the last layer, works for me.

for the rest of your body I have always found layers to be good. The space age materials they have nowadays (fleece, armor tek, rayon and other breathable fabrics) helps to keep you dry and wicks the perspiration away

Thats the best advice right there. Just look for fabric that wicks the moisture away from your body if you do get wet or start to sweat. Cotton is bad it retains moisture. Any of the nylons or synthetics should be the first layer if possible. You can put the cotton thermals on over that.

finchaser
01-18-2015, 11:39 AM
flannel or any shirt or sweat shirt always on top of thermal top

I show my age as my thermo top is now some type of space age wicking fabric. I personally wear Cabala's expedition weight top as my first base layer. It's same attire for cod fishing except I wear bottoms under flannel lined jeans

7deadlyplugs
01-18-2015, 12:13 PM
I personally wear Cabala's expedition weight top as my first base layer.

Wanted to ask about how long they hold up, finchaser? I was looking at them in the online catalog and at some others and trying to figure if they will hold up to washings. They look like they might or might not. Thank you sir

finchaser
01-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Tried it loved it bought a back up been after 3 seasons still have the second one in the package

stripercrazy
01-18-2015, 02:11 PM
I knew you would grab a few before the weekend Fin nice job!! Hope to go Sun morn just not liking the strong SW wind i saw predicted....

I always wear: UnderArmor(top and bottom)

++ like on the underarmor.

7deadlyplugs
01-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Tried it loved it bought a back up been after 3 seasons still have the second one in the package

Thanks very much for the response. I will order them and check them out.

surfstix1963
01-22-2015, 09:16 AM
I wonder if I could ask you and any of the other guys who fish a lot in the cold if it matters what layer goes first. Some have said synthetic vs cotton because the synthetics wick the moisture away.
It was damn cold last night and I'm just looking for a way to stay out a little longer.

Base layer should be a material that wicks water away from your body so when you sweat it doesn't linger on your skin that's the main reason you get cold a good blend of merino wool and other materials work well I have Paradox mid weight baselayer top and bottom(Costco) after that I prefer a thin thermal top and a hoodie or dry top, a good wool hat keeps the heat in I never had a chance to road test my Storm R top this fall to stay dry. Merino wool/blend socks and I just wear jeans over the paradox bottoms and my breathable waders.Gloves as far as I'm concerned all suck but better to have something if you really need it,tried Glacier,Aqua Skinz,now I have the Storm R but they will probably not be much better then any of the others could be me I hate gloves period.