PDA

View Full Version : How hard are you willing to work, to learn....

DarkSkies
12-08-2009, 10:24 PM
about surf fishing?

What does "Paying your dues, putting your time in" mean to you? :learn:

How much effort will you put into it? :plastered:

How much is too much? :huh:

How many times are you willing to get blanked to learn some hard but valuable lessons? :(

How far are you willing to walk in one night? :don't know why:

How many times will you move to find the fish if the time and tide is right and they just ain't there?

DarkSkies
12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Dunkin donuts!

How could that be an inspiration for a thread on surf fishin, Dark, you might ask? :kooky: :don't know why:

I'm a student of human behavior. I like to watch people and learn from them, or what they do or don't do. After doing it for awhile, you become accustomed to meeting different categories of people, and it's kinda fun to see if your predictions will turn out right. It's like a chess game.

Here's the theory I challenged myself with today:

I was comin home from fishin, and passed a Dunkin donuts and a Wawa within 500 feet of each other. The Dunkin donuts had a line of cars waiting at the drive in, extending out onto the highway. :wow:

Meanwhile, both the Dunkin donuts and Wawa were kind of empty inside. What did that tell me?

I thought about it for a moment.

Could it be that people prefer Dunkin donuts coffee to Wawa's?
Maybe.
But these people were in a hurry to get to work. If so, why wouldn't the people get out of their cars, run into DD, get their coffee in 2 mins, and run out again and get on the road?

I counted 8 cars in the drivein line as I passed by. Assuming a minimum turnaround time of at least 1 1/2 minutes, no matter how fast the workers were (maybe more), you would be waiting at least 12 minutes in that line. :huh:

Yet you could have ran into and out of DD, and got back in your car in less than 3 minutes?

What is the hypothesis here?

That a lot of people are lazy aZZes who want everything handed to them. :eek: ;) :moon:

They want convenience. They want to be served. They don't want to work too hard for a small task, just like a big fat cow bass won't work too hard for a meal. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

Of course, this is just a hypothesis and only my opinion. Opinions are like aZZholes, everyone has one right? :D

I thought it might be fun to challenge some people, and see how far they would go to catch a big bass, or the bass of their dreams, from the surf.

Let's hear some of your answers and opinions.
I'm curious how hungry some people really are.
Maybe I'll be surprised, maybe not. :rolleyes:

I tell ya one thing, it could be an interesting thread for the cold months. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
12-08-2009, 11:06 PM
"There are quite a few guys who have pulled mid 20's fish and larger out of the NJ surf this fall that live by a code of secrecy. They learned surf fishin a trick or 2 at a time, mostly by trial and error, and put in years, and not months or weeks, to get the skills they have today to pull large when everyone else is catching schoolies. Some actually hate the internet and what it has done to fishing and the learning curve. I have to respect that. :thumbsup:

So if he's not a guy who would share his hard earned technique with the world, I have to respect that too.

I have alliances with a lot of groups who would be very happy if all internet fishing sites blew up simultaneously. A lot of these people trust me, and I do whatever I can to maintain that trust. "

DarkSkies
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
^^ Here in a previous post I was referring to a select group of guys for whom catching fish is the only goal. They ain't out to socialize or talk sports, current events, or politics. They live for fishin and want to squeeze every opportunity out of the season. Sometimes they catch large, sometimes large numbers of smaller fish, and sometimes even they get blanked. :don't know why:

But they don't let it get to them. They are persistent, and they persevere. :thumbsup: They know if fish aren't feeding one day, they'll be slaying em the next. They'll be careful not to miss a day because that will undoubtedly be the day when their friends crushed them.

For some, it's an addiction. It's not one you can get arrested for, unless you crash your car or truck from lack of sleep. :embarassed:

They know when it will be good because they develop a feel for a good or bad bite. They're not surprised when the fish turn on for a mad dog bite, because they recorded past bites like this in their logs.

They study their logs regularly, as much as a student studies for finals at school, looking for trends and patterns. Their conversations with their friends,or closest ones, center around fishing, and what subtle things worked for them the night before, and possibly why they worked.

They are dedicated.
They paid their dues.
They have put in their time, countless nights with only a few hours of sleep to put themselves out at times when the fish are there.
And they catch.
No need to brag on the internet about it. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
"A true bass fisherman it depends on time of year,fall is usually a first light thing where summer is a night thing.

The rest of the year you adapt to their schedule,which is sometimes predicated on weather.

In plain English to be successful you fish on their feeding schedule day or night.. Back in the day we fished at night to keep things a secret, when fluke season ended the day crew packed it in and we had the fall to our selves."

How many years did it take this guy above to learn the subtle differences?
About 50. ;)

Maybe it only took him 5 or 10, and the rest of the years all he learned was how to be Grouchy! :laugh:
But you can see from reading a post like this that the guy who wrote it put in his time to learn, without a doubt. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And some people want to learn it, or think they will learn it, all in a year, or 6 months.

I don't get that. :huh:

DarkSkies
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I didn't fish the surf back at that time, or I did, but only to throw some clams from a pole when I was a kid and went to my Uncle's house. We were happy to catch just one small bass on the clam pole. We really didn't know that there were 40 and 50lb bass that came to visit in the surf at certain times.

Back 20 or 30 years ago, if you wanted to catch a bass, you had to go out and learn how, through trial and error. If you had a friend who fished, it would be easier.

People didn't share info freely. If you went out and fished a few nights a week, guys might START to acknowledge your presence after they saw you a few dozen times out there. :cool:

At that point, you might get a tip or 2 from the sharpies, if they saw you were eager, and willing to put in long hours. It wasn't a requirement that they help you, though. You had to earn their respect. :fishing:

I don't mean to color or glamorize how things were. It is what it is. IMO we have it a lot easier today with all the tips and helpful articles on the internet. Many books have been written about surf fishing, and reading the water (at the top of the list of things to learn). :learn:

Guys who are just starting out surf fishin now are extremely lucky to have all these resources at their disposal. Yet some people still want to be spoon fed. They don't want to work too hard, yet they want the rewards.

Why is that?
Don't people realize how lucky we are to have all this communication and reading material at our disposal?

Maybe not....

jigfreak
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
You're rignt, too many want everything handed to them.The latest generation of kids are so spoiled and self-centered they think their parents should follow them around and hold the toilet paper whenever it's time to wipe!
I learned the hard way, first getting skunked in the day, and catching small bluefish. I realized I would catch bigger fish, and more bass at night. I also learned to recognize what was good about an area by looking at all the structure at extreme low tides. When you do that you see that only 25% of an area will really hold fish as the water moves in and out. If you can do that consistently you will catch fish regularly. That does take some extra time, and unfortunately a lot of folks don't want to put that time in.

CharlieTuna
12-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I think for me it was a gradual learning process.
It is easy to catch small bass. You can always toss out a rod with a clam on it. This will keep you from getting skunked on a lot of trips, and guys may use this as a crutch. I know I did.
Then you see that guys are getting bigger bass by matching the hatch with artificials. When there are big bunker, they will throw a pencil popper which mimics the splashing behavior.
When the bait is peanut bunker or mullert you learn that you can throw a swimmer that has that profile. If you figure it out right, you start getting larger fish.
There is nothing like the thrill of catching a 30lb bass in the middle of the night, on a plug that so closely resembles what they are eating that they inhale it and almost pull the rod out of your hands.
As I said, it took me a while to get to that stage, and I used bait as a security blanket. I still do when it's cold, or there is a certain condition to the water that makes throwing that bait worthwhile
ie. eels in cold water.
I was helped along the way by the old salts or sharpies you mentioned. They saw me trying, and threw out a tidbit of advice at a time. I did struggle for awhile to get bigger fish.
I learned that you need to pay attention to tide stage, read the water, and mark that structure.
I learned that if a guy fishes an area and thinks it's dead, it's possible he could be fishing the wrong time.
All that comes together, but as you said, you need to put in your time to see it for yourself. Good thread, dark.

fishinmission78
12-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I also learned to recognize what was good about an area by looking at all the structure at extreme low tides. When you do that you see that only 25% of an area will really hold fish as the water moves in and out. If you can do that consistently you will catch fish regularly. That does take some extra time, and unfortunately a lot of folks don't want to put that time in.

Right on. It took me about 2 years to learn how to read the water at all stages of the tide. Put your time in for sure, or don't complain when you don't catch.

surfstix1963
12-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Paying your dues is putting your time in thats the bottom line.This is how to learn the game, fish day and night get used to the differences if you are serious especially at night it is a whole different world at night you need to know what your lures are doing by feel,during the day take the time to walk the areas you fish to find structure take a pole w/you you never know practice casting different lures and try and perfect them.Learn to read the beach because it changes all the time you won't walk too many days in a row with the structure not changing you need to adapt to what the beach is doing because thats what the fish need to do to eat.How much effort is related to how serious you want it just like anything else in life the more effort put in the better you should get at it.How much is too much that didn't exist when I started surf fishing probably cost me my first marriage amongst other things I fished every chance I could and heres a tip for you newbies weather you want to hear it or not you can learn more from an old timer in 10 minutes then you can fishing by yourself for a month the key is to listen.Just a quick example there use to be a guy Leo probably in his 80's sat in his chair and watched and waited for the fish to come into reach for him if it didn't happen oh well but one day I knew the fish were there but just out of reach as I was talking to Leo he said go get the fish I said I can't reach them his reply was take those damn treble hooks off the popper and you will reach them to make a long story short he was right on the money the drag from one treble hook was stopping that little bit of distance I needed. Experience is the best teacher.Moving around I will not stay in one spot regardless of tide if the fish are not there I will walk and cast along the beach until I find them fishing structure along the way you can feel the humps under your feet as you walk(points) or they just plain aren't there.Getting skunked thats part of the game get used to it.Sorry so long but if it bores you, your a surfcaster & you already know this.

DarkSkies
12-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Paying your dues is putting your time in thats the bottom line.
This is how to learn the game, fish day and night get used to the differences if you are serious especially at night it is a whole different world at night you need to know what your lures are doing by feel, during the day take the time to walk the areas you fish to find structure take a pole w/you you never know practice casting different lures and try and perfect them.
Learn to read the beach because it changes all the time you won't walk too many days in a row with the structure not changing you need to adapt to what the beach is doing because thats what the fish need to do to eat.
How much effort is related to how serious you want it just like anything else in life the more effort put in the better you should get at it.How much is too much that didn't exist when I started surf fishing probably cost me my first marriage amongst other things I fished every chance I could and heres a tip for you newbies weather you want to hear it or not you can learn more from an old timer in 10 minutes then you can fishing by yourself for a month the key is to listen.
Just a quick example there use to be a guy Leo probably in his 80's sat in his chair and watched and waited for the fish to come into reach for him if it didn't happen oh well but one day I knew the fish were there but just out of reach as I was talking to Leo he said go get the fish I said I can't reach them his reply was take those damn treble hooks off the popper and you will reach them to make a long story short he was right on the money the drag from one treble hook was stopping that little bit of distance I needed.
Experience is the best teacher. Moving around I will not stay in one spot regardless of tide if the fish are not there I will walk and cast along the beach until I find them fishing structure along the way you can feel the humps under your feet as you walk(points) or they just plain aren't there.
Getting skunked thats part of the game get used to it. Sorry so long but if it bores you, your a surfcaster & you already know this.

:clapping::clapping: :thumbsup: I don't think you need to apologize for the length of that post, you related a lifetime of experience in there.

You made a lot of the key points that translate from someone catching fish once in a whille to bringing consistency to your catches.

Even the best have their off days. Sometimes the fish just aren't there in any numbers, or a list of variables combines to make it difficult to present. However, they don't give up, and learn from it. Any subtle difference, no matter how small, can make your next trip into a better one if you are willing to adapt and learn from it.

Thanks for the very well-worded response. :thumbsup:

plugaholic
12-10-2009, 07:39 AM
:thumbsup: Surfstix it seems like you been fishing a long time, thanks for sharing.

voyager35
12-10-2009, 04:35 PM
For me I do not care how much time or attention I have to give to the sport. I am always willing to learn and watch the guys who have been fishing for years. Any little trick is worth the time to learn about it.

In return I never mind helping out the new guys.

One important thing I do is take the time to make a log. I have always found it helpful for the future predictions.

killie
12-10-2009, 09:21 PM
watching tides... nope I got Bob
log books..... Bob
weather .... Bob
winds .... Bob again
water clarity & Temp... once again Bob
how's the bite.... Bob
where's the bite... Bob
what are they biting on... Bob
So how much work do I put in? hold on I gotta call Bob
I'll get back to you :)

DarkSkies
12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
log books..... Bob
weather .... Bob
winds .... Bob again
how's the bite.... Bob
where's the bite... Bob

:laugh: :2flip: :ROFLMAO :clapping::clapping:

I don't really wish for people to have a bad day, but for you, I'm getting on my knees tonight and praying a special prayer that you're fortunate enough to be reincarnated as the guy below. :HappyWave:

finchaser
12-11-2009, 07:26 AM
log books..... Bob
weather .... Bob
winds .... Bob again
how's the bite.... Bob
where's the bite... Bob

No problem anytime my friend:HappyWave:I'll be out lookin if I find them I'll call ya. If not I'll be up to see ya.

surfstix1963
12-11-2009, 07:34 AM
I started fishing with my grandfather when I was 3 on his boat for blowfish then fluke I cannot tell you how many times I got yelled at by him but he was just trying to learn a stubborn kid I realized that when I was older but all of that yelling stuck in my head and he always told me you need patience to catch fish and damn it that is the #1 rule.I learnrd alot from him tying the boat up properly, baiting the hooks a certain way,how to feel the different weight of a fluke on the end of your line compared to the weight of the sinker and to drop back if you missed it.He taught me so much I cannot list it here when I was about 8 my cousin started taking me offshore that was interesting but although I did that later on in life for awhile it just wasn't my cup of tea.When I started surfcasting, however frustrating it got I learned something everytime I went by listening, watching, reading and alot of hard work I made it to where I am able to catch most of the time and if I don't it doesn't bother me anymore theres just something about being out there I really realize this now because I cannot fish right now because of injuries and I'll tell ya it sucks not being out there it is just part of my life that I enjoy and it is a disease for some that has no cure its a good addiction I am not the best surf guy far from it but I enjoy what I do & try to help others if they want it.Again a little long but I have alot of time on my hands and hope to be back in the game some day.

stripercrazy
12-13-2009, 05:06 AM
log books..... Bob
weather .... Bob
winds .... Bob again
how's the bite.... Bob
where's the bite... Bob

What happens when you are at home and run out of toilet paper...gotta call Bob?:kooky:

I started fishing with my grandfather when I was 3 on his boat for blowfish then fluke I cannot tell you how many times I got yelled at by him but he was just trying to learn a stubborn kid I realized that when I was older but all of that yelling stuck in my head and he always told me you need patience to catch fish and damn it that is the #1 rule.I learnrd alot from him tying the boat up properly, baiting the hooks a certain way,how to feel the different weight of a fluke on the end of your line compared to the weight of the sinker and to drop back if you missed it.He taught me so much I cannot list it here when I was about 8 my cousin started taking me offshore that was interesting but although I did that later on in life for awhile it just wasn't my cup of tea.When I started surfcasting, however frustrating it got I learned something everytime I went by listening, watching, reading and alot of hard work I made it to where I am able to catch most of the time and if I don't it doesn't bother me anymore theres just something about being out there I really realize this now because I cannot fish right now because of injuries and I'll tell ya it sucks not being out there it is just part of my life that I enjoy and it is a disease for some that has no cure its a good addiction I am not the best surf guy far from it but I enjoy what I do & try to help others if they want it.Again a little long but I have alot of time on my hands and hope to be back in the game some day.

Good point Nothing in life that's worthwhile is free, we have to work for it, either with physical work of by earning the trust and respect of others. The times spent with your grandfather, you will always have in your memory on a rainy day. Great thread.:thumbsup:

killie
12-13-2009, 05:09 AM
What happens when you are at home and run out of toilet paper...gotta call Bob?:kooky:

nope, I call my wife :rolleyes:

stripercrazy
12-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Is there anything in life you actually strive for?:huh:

Doublerunner
12-14-2009, 07:15 PM
How hard are you willing to work, to learn....

Here are some answers from me. A 49 year old newbie to striper fishing with lots of life experiences
about surf fishing? I started by asking lots of questions. Man I provided a lot of entertainment for a lot of people. But I learned. From what they said and what they didn't say. Learning to read between the lines and extract the little tidbits of wisdom that come with every experience. Also reading. I have read probably every thread on every forum I have joined. I've also read about 6 books thus far. I went with a group of hardcore surfcasters to Montauk this Fall. I think I slept about a total of 14 hours in 5 days. Where I live I have to drive an hour or more each way to get to the spots. I listen. I have been fortunate to have met a great group of guys who have cut years off my learning curve but that only happens if you can listen and then apply those words of wisdom to when you are actually fishing. I scouted spots during daylight by bugging out of work a few hours early. Even working plugs during the day so I would know what they swam like in the dark of the night. I keep a change of clothes and my gear in my truck....just in case. I also met a guy who I consider the most knowledgable fisherman anywhere and I have learned a great deal from him by not only fishing with him but also talking to him as much as possible

What does "Paying your dues, putting your time in" mean to you? :learn: As much as I have listened and read, there is no substitute for experience. We are fortunate to have technology that can help us find spots on the internet such as google earth and maps.live.com
Early on I identified some spots that I did not have access to but ended up being some of my favorite spots thus far. It means doing your research and scouting your spots and then working them. It means going to your local bait and tackle and asking questions. It means fishing in Nor'easters and also when you're sweating your a$$ off. It means fishing for hours on end even when you're not catching ( but you're still learning from that). And by the way, you never stop paying your dues or putting your time in. Yes it may get easier over time but you always have to work at it

How much effort will you put into it? :plastered:Pretty much whatever it takes without sacrificing my family life to the point of no return

How much is too much? :huh:. I think there is a different answer for each person. For me I will go as hard as I can, whenever I can. My favorite words are "Enjoy the Journey". If you stop enjoying what you are doing then it's time to get out

How many times are you willing to get blanked to learn some hard but valuable lessons? :( No one wants to get skunked but the key is to not repeat the same mistakes. Pay attention, learn, and improve. Fishing is great...catching is the icing on the cake

How far are you willing to walk in one night? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/don't%20know%20why.gif. I don't give up easily. I may not be able to walk as fast as some others but I will get there and won't stop 'til I do

How many times will you move to find the fish if the time and tide is right and they just ain't there? I am very stubborn and don't give up easily. I also trust my instincts. If I am sure the time and tide ( amongst other things ) are right then I am more likely to stay where I am and try different presentations such as varying distance on casts, types of retrieves, changing plugs or just changing the weight of a bucktail, etc.

DarkSkies
05-31-2010, 12:21 PM
WTG on the persistence, Monty! :thumbsup:

Surfwalker, talked to one guy last night who had 2 short bass on artificials, he confirmed those first light comments. It seems to me there's a point to that as well. People have been catching fish in the dark on artificials, but after a lot of effort.

Some people know what it is to be persistent. Surfalker and Monty do, they won't give up, if they feel the time and tide is right, until they nail a fish. :thumbsup:

The quote above talks about a conversation I had with a young kid last night. He's in his early 20's, if that. But he's compulsive about fishing. It was late and there weren't many people around where we were fishin.

He was talking about his friends, and the fact that if they come down and don't catch a fish in 5 mins they want to go home. :( He said he has no use or interest in fishin with people like that, and I kind of felt the same way.

If you go out there and fish a blitz, it's great for your ego because you can do well. :viking:

How about when the moon is full and bright?
How about when the fish are popping on shrimp, cinder worms, or small bait?
Willl you still try to catch fish, or will you give up and go home?
Will you change all your presentations, incorporating different teasers and presentations that work different levels of the water column, until you find the one thing that fish will hit?

And...
when you find that one thing, will you be flexible enough to change that presentation as soon as some different bait comes by, or you sense that it's less effective?

Sometimes people are envious of people who catch a lot of fish. This kid and I talked about mutual spots we like to fish when no one else is around. Some of em ain't easy to get to or involve some sort of risk. Yet we know the rewards, and have reaped them.

Even so, the reward doesn't always happen, the time, tide, bait, current, and weather have to be just right. If it doesn't work at that night, instead of getting bummed, you have to suck it up and move to another place. And start working that one just as hard.

The next time you meet a guy who tells you he had a double digit night, ask yourself if you would be willing to put the time in, that he's putting in, in all kinds of weather.

It goes back to the old concept I've mentioned a few times here...

Wanting to fish
VS
Needing to fish. :learn:

williehookem
05-31-2010, 12:32 PM
I always pay attention to my surroundings, look what other people are doing and change up if needed. I an one who needs to fish. My life would not be the same without it. I wonder if I am compulsive?

nitestrikes
07-02-2010, 05:09 PM
How many times will you move to find the fish if the time and tide is right and they just ain't there? I am very stubborn and don't give up easily. I also trust my instincts. If I am sure the time and tide ( amongst other things ) are right then I am more likely to stay where I am and try different presentations such as varying distance on casts, types of retrieves, changing plugs or just changing the weight of a bucktail, etc.

What he said, if you are out there you might as well fish. Instincts also play a key part on when it is time to move.

DarkSkies
11-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Who's marking the new holes and cuts that have come up this year?

Who's keeping a record of these to improve their fishing opportunities? :thumbsup:

(Or, to get yourself away from the crowds when the internet hordes show up) :burn:
More on this later when I have some time to post up.

DarkSkies
06-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Yesterday the bite was real slow in the PM. Only a few lucky guys got fish. We met up with 2 of them who had been plugging despite the lack of bunker.

They both caught some nice fish, maybe 24, and 32#.
One of the guys had some rusty plugs in his bag. I wanted to help him out a bit, so I went to give him some of what had been working for me at night (he was still plugging long after everyone else had left and decided the bite was over)

On the way to where he was, I ran into a younger surf guy I know. He's been catching a lot of fish lately in the blitzes. That's what he does, and devotes all his free time to it, so he's done well.

However, as a surf guy I thought he would be able to appreciate that there are some bass around at night, if you are willing to work for them.... :cool:

I showed him what I was using, told him I was getting bass to 22# at night.

His question..."Well how long does it take you to get each bass?"

Me:
"Sometimes up to 2 or 3 hours for one hit. sometimes less. It's a lot of work, but they're around..."

At that point his eyes glassed over, and he lost interest...

It seems there are not too many hardcore nutcases :kooky: out there like Monty, Surfwalker, me, and a few others. :laugh: Plugging hours at a time? Get real, dude!!! :eek:

Why spend all those pointless hours plugging for a measly 22# fish or 2 if you can get all you want until your arms are tired in a bunker blitz?

Monty
06-05-2011, 02:10 PM
While out there this morning with almost the whole beach to myself, was thinking maybe that with an area known to be "hot" a few miles away, maybe a couple guys that would normally be fishing the area I was in were there (good for me). So I was able to walk and cast a good mile of beach, walking by only three other guys fishing (bait). I got one short on a popper (the way Surfwalker likes to catch'em), had a great time, fished water that looked great, can't wait to get out there again. It was worth the effort if I didn't catch a 24 inch bass and was happy I got that one. I fish every chance I get and am just happy to be fishing. Running around looking for bunker seems stressful to me and a waste of "my" time . I want no part of that type of "fishing".
Took a couple pics of the sun rise this morning......in between casts
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_6_5_Surf2.jpg
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_6_5_Surf1.jpg

speedy
06-05-2011, 08:12 PM
great pics monty time is every thing i am out there as much as i can be and every time out i learn something new about the surf and how plugs
work at diff. time of day and tides so i try to get as much info i can ...

DarkSkies
08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
6. If you have a busy life, and are pressed for time, if you only went out and fished the 2 nights before and after the full and new moons, you would exponentially increase your odds of catching. Whether you do catch or not, that's up to you and the waters you fish in (which I hope you have chosen carefully) ;)

Moon fishing....
I posted this in another thread, worth reading, I think...:)
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5279-Let-s-talk-about-full-moon-surf-fishing

Tide tables....
How many of ya's are obsessive about your tide tables? Surfwalker is one I know of here who's diligent about printing out his different tide tables every month. Even if he doesn't make it to fish the area, he prints out the ones he's interested in.
Every month, I print a few myself.
Just got done printing out 10 of them. I may print more as the month progresses. :scared:

Why do this?

!. Weather pattern changes - When the wind is from the NE, do you know a place that will allow you to fish it in safety? How about from a yak? How about a hard S, or a strong N/NW pattern? You can't always rely on the weatherman. If I start out to fish and area and am blown out by the weather, do I just turn tail and go home?

Hell no. :headbang: I take out my charts. I look where I can still get to that has good tides and offers me a way to fish that weather pattern.
If you want to catch fish, even in the hottest weather of summer, you have to be ready and willing to change your plans.

Or change from the ocean to the back bay, or the back bay to a river.... :learn:

Granted, once you know a whole body of water, you generally know that..."the inlet HT is 2 hours later than the ocean, or the particular bridge, the HT is 3 hours later, etc, etc, so you probably don't actually need to carry all that paper around with ya. But if you're as obsessive as I am, I'll tell ya's that I don't mind. Rather than let the weather or strong winds ruin my trip, it gives me more options. I feel that I have done more of my homework that way.

How about you folks? :HappyWave:

And Monty, as usual, your pics are inspiring...looking at them on a hot muggy day makes me want to get out there and find that refreshing water! :drool:

DarkSkies
11-19-2011, 04:22 PM
I looked at those pics again, Monty, just wanted to thank you for sharing them with us, those sunrises are awesome...

DarkSkies
11-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Who's marking the new holes and cuts that have come up this year?

Who's keeping a record of these to improve their fishing opportunities? :thumbsup:

(Or, to get yourself away from the crowds when the internet hordes show up) :burn:
More on this later when I have some time to post up.

I'm finally doing my log of the major holes and cuts for the areas I fish.
To me this is part of being a surfcaster, I feel like I'm being half-assed when I don't do it.
As mentioned, these change every year.

Recently the OFFC (Old Farts Fishing Club) was fishing in OC and did better than half the guys on that beach. An "internet hero" posted in a report online that he saw some old guys out-fish him.

I mentioned that was because they paid attention to the structure...

His response:
"There is no structure on the beach where I fish"

My response:
"Go back there at extreme low tide, moon tide, and look at what you see, mark all the holes and cuts, and then come back here and tell us there is no structure on that beach...:bucktooth: "

I cannot fathom a kid who has a home beach that he usually fishes, fishes that beach almost every day, and then claims there is no structure there......:huh:

When the fishing is stupid, almost everyone can catch a fish...
When it gets tougher, and you get blanked, what are you doing to learn from your mistakes....:learn:

Mark those holes, guys and gals...:cool:

jigfreak
11-19-2011, 05:27 PM
When the fishing is stupid, almost everyone can catch a fish...
When it gets tougher, and you get blanked, what are you doing to learn from your mistakes....:learn:

I think you give too much credit to the average fisherman dark. Most guys, they go out, cast for an hour, and go home, never realizing why they didn't catch fish. They blame it on bad luck. When they see someone else catching, they crowd and mug the guy so he can't breathe. Maybe that guy was right in the cut, and that's why the fish are there. If they walked the beach as you said at low tide they would learn a lot. I do that every spring, summer, and fall. In the winter when I get bored I walk the beach for an hour at a time just to see which cuts were affected by the winter storms. You can't expect an average guy to do that, though, they would rather get skunked.

DarkSkies
03-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Good points, Jigfreak. I think that the way things are in life, and fishing as well, people learn things when they're ready...for example, I knew drugs and alcohol were bad for me, ruining my life, but was not ready to make a change, even though so many people tried to have conversations with me....

Nothing worked, till I was ready....and some folks are not at the point where they want to put it all out there and give their all to surfcasting...it truly is hard when you first enter the game...and continues to be a challenge for those of us who love to do it....there are always obstacles in your way that you must oercome...but thanks for sharing your opinion...it's appreciated...:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

How hard do you try, before you give up?....
Surfwalker and I were having this conversation the other day...:HappyWave: we talked about the "one last cast" being 10 last casts... and if we're not catching, trying every last thing we can think of, before we're willing to leave for home.

I met a fisherman I was impressed with a few weeks ago...
To begin with, it was a snotty and cold night..hardly anyone out there fishing...as I got there he said he had limited action.....We fished together and each got a few until the tide diminished....but on his way home, he stopped every few feet to cast and cast...and ended up picking up 2 more small bass this way....

Some might not be impressed by this, but to me, it showed me someone who has that determination and winning mindset....not willing to take leave of the fishing psychologically until his footsteps are at the door of his vehicle....in the game till the very end....yup, to me those are admirable qualities...:thumbsup:

I usually am happy to fish by myself because I really like the solitude...

This fisherman I know, you will never see him on the internet or weighing in a fish,,,,yet during the hottest part of the bite in Jan, he nailed a bass that he estimated to be 35#, length and girth calculations...(estimated because he never weighed it in...doesn't need or want the glory...)

And the determination and persistence demonstrated in the way he fishes, means that I don't mind running into someone that dedicated out there at night....he really seems to understand what it takes to get that trophy fish, when they are there....:fishing:

storminsteve
03-04-2012, 06:24 PM
How hard do you try, before you give up?....
Surfwalker and I were having this conversation the other day...:HappyWave: we talked about the "one last cast" being 10 last casts... and if we're not catching, trying every last thing we can think of, before we're willing to leave for home.

:thumbsup:Good thinking creatively, boys. I feel like that too. Even when clamming I have another rod with me to throw plugs. My one last cast is never just one last cast.

jigfreak
03-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Some might not be impressed by this, but to me, it showed me someone who has that determination and winning mindset....not willing to take leave of the fishing psychologically until his footsteps are at the door of his vehicle....in the game till the very end....yup, to me those are admirable qualities...:thumbsup:

In the game to the very end - word.:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
In the game to the very end - word.:thumbsup:

Jigfreak, I know you of all people understand this...out there for hours at a time, fishing the whole tide, and then some, just to be able to fish the slack at both ends....;)

These are the stories of what some friends have been doing the past few weeks...catching a few very nice fish, but putting in a tremendous amount of time to get it done.......

1. The Fresh Bunker guy.....
This is a friend who I fished the rockpiles with on some occasions in the winter....he's a good surfcaster, but all around fisherman in that when bigger fish are in he immediately focuses on fresh bunker....and "tackle shop" fresh is never good enough for him.....

I remember one night 6 weeks ago. He had the day off from work and jumped from here to Brooklyn to try to find fresh bunker. At that time there were some weather patterns which scattered them. He spent the whole day in pursuit of them, stubbornly refusing to stop at a tackle shop.
That's pretty damn stubborn if ya ask me...but he is a friend, and the friends I have come in all sizes and colors, and mental states...:laugh:

He gave up after spending 14 hours looking for bunker and fish...and the winds that night kicked up to 25mph NW. Some would say he failed....

But..... he was back out at it again the night of April 23, 2012... the night that some of us talk about as the best night of NJ Spring fishing in several years....the night that I got over 100 fish....

The interesting thing is, is that night my biggest fish was 17#, on artificials....
(The next day) I found out he was fishing the same general area as I was, and although he didn't catch many fish, he did get 5 heavier bass up to 29#, with the smallest being 21#....all on fresh bunker heads....
:clapping: :thumbsup:

If he didn't have the persistence he does, he never would have been out there to get those fish...
WTG, putting in your time pays off. :thumbsup:

2. The Wise Guy....I call him that because he is so discreet, and well-liked, that he could walk into a crowded Italian restaurant, eliminate a crime boss, and walk out, without anyone being able to identify him...he's nameless, faceless, and manages to generate friends in all walks of life....

He had been out pursuing bass and the bunker schools from the surf, for 12 hours at a time.....
This all came together for him, one day last week when the bass and bunker came ashore for a few hours.....

but...rather than jumping in the rotation with the 100 other guys that were already there.(doesn't anyone work on weekdays anymore? :laugh:)..he and a friend went off to find their own fish....getting into some nice bass up to 28# (C&R, no tackle shop weigh ins) for a good 1 1/2 hours till the action died......

WTG, all of ya's out there, who can put in the time and the effort, and know that when the bigger bass are offshore, some of them will filter in to the surf line as well....:clapping: :fishing:

DarkSkies
07-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Jigfreak, I know you of all people understand this...out there for hours at a time, fishing the whole tide, and then some, just to be able to fish the slack at both ends....;)

Part of what I am observing is that a lot of people grew up when fishing was easy.
The blitzes could be counted on.
The 40 and 50 lb bass were within your grasp if you had a bunker snag and knew how to use it.

Some of the people entering fishing in the last 10 years, are from a different generation than the one I grew up in...
One where your gratification is instant...
300 channel TVs...
Anything you want, can be ordered from the internet....
Along with that, one can read volumes of knowledge posted on various internet sites.......
So the learning curve is easier.....

And maybe, that may cause some to think why should they have to work so hard, to catch a bass

Some thoughts I had recently....
1. I was fishing with a hole in my foot, an open sore that developed from the scrambling and walking I did on my nightly trips. The recent rains helped it to heal, and I feel good as new again. I felt I had to be out there fishing certain weather patterns, moon tides, etc. I wonder how many people today, feel this compulsive need, to be out there.....
Does the water call out to you, like it does to me?

2. Scouting......something I do on every trip is to scout....if I'm fishing low tide, has the structure changed?
What about the hard vs soft structure?
What differences do I notice?
What differences do I notice in the forage this week, in the areas I am fishing?

Monty and I were talking about how we got bass Sat night, for the simple act of using a teaser....and one of a specific length......if we didn't use that sized teaser, I feel none of us would have gotten any fish.........

So how much do you push it, to learn all you can, while you are out there...?:learn:

Monty
07-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Some thoughts I had recently....
1. I was fishing with a hole in my foot, an open sore that developed from the scrambling and walking I did on my nightly trips. The recent rains helped it to heal, and I feel good as new again. I felt I had to be out there fishing certain weather patterns, moon tides, etc. I wonder how many people today, feel this compulsive need, to be out there.....
Does the water call out to you, like it does to me?

2. Scouting......something I do on every trip is to scout....if I'm fishing low tide, has the structure changed?
What about the hard vs soft structure?
What differences do I notice?
What differences do I notice in the forage this week, in the areas I am fishing?

Monty and I were talking about how we got bass Sat night, for the simple act of using a teaser....and one of a specific length......if we didn't use that sized teaser, I feel none of us would have gotten any fish.........

So how much do you push it, to learn all you can, while you are out there...?:learn:

The need to be out there....Well since I can usually only fish 1x per week when I am out there I hate leaving. A few outings when I was catching lots of blues, some Gators, my shoulder was aching so much I would wince every cast. But it was worth it, hated leaving the water those days. So I have that need to not leave :HappyWave: Also hate when the sun starts to rise, fishing in the dark is awesome.

One of the things we do Dark is when we do start to catch we try other offerings, plugs, rubber, etc. to see what works/doesn't. Thinking while this more than likely decreases the fish we catch we hope to learn something from it to help us in the future.

And that teaser length, I tried Magdarters close to the length, nothing, small black Hoggys, nothing, shorter teasers, nothing, Avas, nothing. Those black teasers hits and a few bass. If Mike hadn't caught on the longer teaser, more than likely there would have been no fish caught, maybe no action there.

A certain amount of resiliency goes a long way to being successful in catching a fish (I'm fine with catching one fish)......But its a fine line between being resilient, not giving up on an area and leaving...than saying I put enough time in that spot, time to move on and try another area....Decisions:huh:.

jigfreak
07-25-2012, 08:30 AM
One of the things we do Dark is when we do start to catch we try other offerings, plugs, rubber, etc. to see what works/doesn't. Thinking while this more than likely decreases the fish we catch we hope to learn something from it to help us in the future.

I do that too. When I start catching and its on, I switch plugs or rubber sizes to see if they will hit it. A lot of times they dont. They only want 1 or 2 things. If you don't have what they want that night your screwed. Thats why a lot of us have extra plugs in the truck.

DarkSkies
09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
So I have that need to not leave :HappyWave: Also hate when the sun starts to rise, fishing in the dark is awesome.

I do that too. When I start catching and its on, I switch plugs or rubber sizes to see if they will hit it. A lot of times they dont. They only want 1 or 2 things. If you don't have what they want that night your screwed. Thats why a lot of us have extra plugs in the truck.

Great points, guys. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
09-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I looked at those pics again, Monty, just wanted to thank you for sharing them with us, those sunrises are awesome...

I wanted to touch on that a bit....
Even though I'm not a "sunrise" type of guy (Monty has the monopoly when it comes to sunrise pics...);) :HappyWave:.....

There is a world of beauty out there at night...
Last night the sky was so clear I could see all the constellations...

A week or so ago, there was an awesome meteor shower...
With less people fishing, I have seen some incredible showings of wildlife......

The saddest was watching a mother deer hang out by the side of the road, about 2 months ago...her fawn had been hit by a car...it must have just happened....and she was kind of hanging out, like a vigil or something...I think she knew it was dead but didn't want to leave it.....

I spooked her,,,she ran into the bushes while I got out and brought her dead offspring to the side of the road so more cars wouldn't hit it....and she watched me from a distance as I did this....

I know this is part of life, things happen, we all move on....
But my point here, is that there is a whole world of things you see as night fisherman, that many folks never get to see,,,,

I may get bored by catching schoolies, but am never bored marveling at the beauty of God and his creations, all around us....and this is a theater I get to see each night.
At times I feel I am in the audience, other times on the very stage of all that is happening.....

I know many guys just focus on the fish caught...
I do as well...usually not happy unless I can at least scare up some action or cause some kind of fish to take a swipe at what I'm throwing....

But the point here....
Is that the world out there,,,,,at night.....is more intense, for me, than much of the world in the daytime.,...and I enjoy every second of it....

I'm also amazed at fishermen who are not willing to fight for that...for me, I would fight for eternity to preserve those kinds of experiences I have out there....and the places I am able to fish....and the fish that I love to fish for......

Food for thought......:learn:

DarkSkies
09-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Lack of Participation in Fishing......

A Veteran Fisherman friend sent me this, as we were both commenting on the current lack of participation in fishing many surf and bay areas at night...... I think it shows a lot of wisdom and insight....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

"".....about the lack of fisherman at night during the summer. To me, I've always noticed that, but it's worse now. I really think some of the so called surfsters have been spoiled by the spring/fall run. Anyone can catch Bass in blitz conditions, and that's all they look for. I have always plugged the whole year. Some just don't want to work and not be rewarded. To pull any Bass at night during the summer, to me, out front, is my reward, any size, doesn't matter.

I have spent many a summer night, walking the beaches, wondering why no one else is around. Was I a fool, no, I was doing what I enjoy and learning more and more on those walks. The experimenting, the thought process, and the sometimes hook up was too pleasurable to pass up.

I see the newer faces want instant reward, don't want to work for it or learn. It's just not about throwing some junk out into the water and hoping to catch, it's about putting your head into the head of a Bass. Learning the type water, the bait, the temps of the water, currents and so on. I find this not to be work, but a satisfaction to an end result."

hookset
09-10-2012, 02:39 PM
^^^^ Spot on. Work hard or stay home, is what I say.

plugginpete
10-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Lack of Participation in Fishing......

A Veteran Fisherman friend sent me this, as we were both commenting on the current lack of participation in fishing many surf and bay areas at night...... I think it shows a lot of wisdom and insight....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

I see the newer faces want instant reward, don't want to work for it or learn. It's just not about throwing some junk out into the water and hoping to catch, it's about putting your head into the head of a Bass. Learning the type water, the bait, the temps of the water, currents and so on. I find this not to be work, but a satisfaction to an end result."

There is still hope yet for the younger generation, DS. This was posted on another site. By Capt Barb of the One More Drift....I thought it was a fantastic post. Hope its ok to post it here -

"For the last month or two I have not been able to take my family, friends and clients fishing due to a new job I got. Of course I feel bad about it, but I know in time when things settle down I will be able to fish once again.

With this, my son Tom has been for the first time in his life this past month been fishing on his own. Obviously not on my boat, but from the surf on the north shore. Tom has been spoiled for the past ten years fishing because he never really had to hunt for the fish, I always had him fishing in areas that were my locations that I learned on my own that produced fish. Not only did I always get him on the fish, but I also set up his rigs, bait, told him what tide to fish what spot, ect ect.....

So Tom's last two fishing trips (surf) were without me in a territory he has never fished before. I guided him only with what tide he should fish it, what lures to use and the structure he should look for to be successful.

Two trips in and he has not caught a blessed thing. But what has happened here is, Tom is not upset about not catching fish, he for the first time in his life is actually understanding fishing. I am getting all choked up as I type this. This is what I have been wanting him to learn for years, but I guess he never could because I was always with him putting him on the fish because of my knowledge of fishing for so long.

So it is all starting to come together, he finally gets it. When he got home from his trip today he was not upset about not catching anything, he was excited to learn so many new things on his own. He learned what to look for, see the bait, match the hatch, watch the birds working, learn how to cast upstream in the current, watch the other guys fish and work there plugs effortlessly, ect ect.....

Ahhhh, I feel so happy right now, to know my son finally understands what fishing is all about. It's not about bringing home a fish (not that he ever did that, he is a catch and release only), but he understands that fishing is learning the pattern and getting all the elements to come together at that one time to catch a fish. And if you don't catch any fish, you are still a winner because you tried. You experimented on your own. You learned what you will do your next trip out that will be different to make you get that much closer to landing a fish on your own. "

OMD.

DarkSkies
09-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Pete, it's good to read something like what you saw posted.
Fishermen are slowly declining in numbers as young kids today are more interested in video games and texting. Many in the younger generation don't want to take the time to learn something like fishing. It can be hard doing something when there is no guarantee of succeess.

I still feel that persistence, and learning patterns, is something that can benefit us in all areas of life.
Something I posted the other day:

Back when I knew a lot less...it was relatively easy to catch a handful of bass every night....in every month except for Jan and Feb...

We're all entitled to fish for and target whatever we want....however in the last 10 years, as bass stocks have declined... I have noticed an elitist movement among certain surfcasters that have turned their nose up at catching any fish that wasn't a bass....I had to ask myself "why?".......:don't know why:

If there are less fish, and opportunities are scattered....why would some lose sight of how fun it is to have a bend in the rod?

I remember a few years ago...when I was more generous in giving out info and helping others....I was fishing an area where the fishing was extremely spotty....
Ran into another surfcaster....a clear beginner....still learning how to cast....yet he was outfitted with all the latest gear touted on the internet....about $3 k worth of gear.....you name it...this guy was carrying it......He expressed his frustration that with all the money he spent, he still hadn't caught a bass in over 2 weeks.....

I felt sorry for him...I was leaving to go to another area where there were blues at dusk and into the night hitting regularly...pure bluefish bite......but the fish were in the 10-15# class.....

When I offered to let him follow me in his SUV...he said...
"OH- You're JUST catching bluefish over there????
OK - no thanks I would rather not go." :(

That was a crystallizing moment for me....
Here we had a time in the season when the bass fishing was pretty sporadic....the bigger bass and action wouldn't be happening for weeks to come....
I was offering this newbie a chance to come and catch some really nice, angry, drag screaming blues......and it wasn't good enough for him....
:huh:

I'm not trying to single out anyone here...but realized at that moment that the internet...and internet posturing....had taken some of the fun out of fishing....

I became very selective about who I offered to help in the future.......
It's taken a lot of work for me to learn the prime time in each tide, for each location, that the fish might be feeding...it was a lot of sweat and failing, to get to that point......

If I see someone who seems tuned in, and willing to work, that instantly gives me hope for the new generation of fishermen coming up.....but without that work ethic.....I'm just not willing to help people......like I used to......

I think the sweetest rewards come from that hard work...at least that's been my experience...:thumbsup:
Would love to hear about the experiences of others.....:fishing:

finchaser
09-21-2015, 08:23 PM
You answered a 3 year old post:kooky:

DarkSkies
09-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Something I posted the other day:

........I think the sweetest rewards come from that hard work...at least that's been my experience...:thumbsup:
Would love to hear about the experiences of others.....:fishing:

You answered a 3 year old post:kooky:

I guess I screwed up not highlighting that part of the post, in multi bolded black, like I usually do, in my OCD world...:moon: :kiss: :HappyWave:

I already posted it somewhere else 2 days ago, and decided to share that story here as well.....
If I recall correctly, the original reason for starting this thread was a conversation with you and the other old timers about how people don't want to work that hard anymore to catch fish. :learn:
Or get involved to help their fellow fishermen...the thread below was a direct result of these conversations, O Grouchy One...:)
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5610-WHY-should-I-care-WHY-should-I-get-involved-Why-ME

Hope that clears things up ya grouchy basstid. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Slow Pick -
Was going to add a few things to this when I get a chance.....there have been some occasions when a few of us are out there....slow pick.....but the fish are there.....and the other anglers walk down to the beach....and because there are not a lot of bent rods to be seen....they leave.....
I'll try to come back to this when I get a chance...if anyone has anything to share in the meantime....feel free.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Thought it was time to bump this thread because it seeme the dynamic has changed for a lot of folks out there. In the past, the way I learned was by failing. Catching fish on bait was very easy, had been doing it since I was 12. Making the transition to artificials was the hard part. It took a long time for me to get any measure of success.

That's probably because I didn't understand the "Why?" and focused too much on the "where". In modern times, I can see why anglers are so concerned about "Where?" There are so many places that do not hold fish (though with high concentrations of bait, they should.)

So it seems that fishing has evolved, for a certain segment, to where they try to follow reports of others, and then chase them. With social media, that's pretty easy to do. Real time reporting often leaves many clues to fish being caught in an area. Those who chase, often come up empty handed. HOW is it possible, if they are going to "hot" areas, or running to, at 5pm, to an area where fish were blitzing at 6am, that so many are disappointed?

DarkSkies
10-21-2016, 10:04 AM
There are several possibilities and observations. For the sake of this discussion I'll try to simplify things a bit. If I gloss over or omit something, I apologize in advance. Please feel free to add your opinion, or corrections. And thanks, as always, for your interest in sharing. You are a great group, and all opinions are valued here.

1. Lack of fish - I could go on and on about this, but it's apparent to anyone who has fished for more than a few decades. We are approaching times where striped bass numbers *(overall) are lower than they have been. The saving grace COULD be the 2011 and 2015 year classes. But the robustness of that class as a saving grace will take several years to come to fruition as these fish grow to legal size.

2. Extreme gaps in numbers in certain year classes.

3. Beach replenishment and loss of fishing access from land.

4. (Slight) shift to offshore migrational patterns. Notice the emphasis on "slight" here. I think it's important to note the shift. Also important to note that there has been a certain % of bass that always migrated offshore. This is most notable in areas like Cape May and others where there is not much beach structure to hold migrational baitfish and forage. However, it's also important to note when bass numbers were healthier, the offshore, and the inshore populations, were BOTH robust and thriving. Recent years have seen robustness in the offshore populations, but a notable shrinking in the inshore and Back Bay Area numbers.

5. This shrinking of the biomass (all fully documented here and searchable in other threads) has coincided with the beach replenishment, so that beach replenishment usually takes the blame. I ask all serious fishermen, to consider IF the real possibility is the shrinking biomass overall, as has been documented here and on other sites.

6. A changing in attitudes of many modern fishermen. I've noticed that a lot of modern fishermen begin to rely more and more on the Internet. Fewer talk about finding fish from logs or past patterns. My fishing logs have been invaluable to me. They helped me make the transition from the "Where" to the "Why" in figuring out feeding and migrational patterns.
Many say "Well fish swim, that's why you can't follow reports". Maybe....but if you understand patterns and what they imply, you may be able to find fish for a few nights, or weeks, in the same area.

I mentioned the above biomass observations as a prelude to my point here, because at times they usually spark arguments by those who don't want to do the research, or have a vested interest in claiming the striped bass population is healthier than ever.

The issue I wanted to raise and perhaps continue in discussion, is-
"Has fishing changed for so many of us, that some don't care about the "Why" any more, that the prime concern is the "Where?"

If so, don't we lose something in the process, if we are not interested in learning patterns, IF they develop, and why knowing that pattern can benefit our catching, and overall fishing experiences?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, folks...they are appreciated.....:thumbsup:

fishinmission78
10-22-2016, 01:24 PM
6. A changing in attitudes of many modern fishermen. I've noticed that a lot of modern fishermen begin to rely more and more on the Internet. Fewer talk about finding fish from logs or past patterns. My fishing logs have been invaluable to me. They helped me make the transition from the "Where" to the "Why" in figuring out feeding and migrational patterns.
Many say "Well fish swim, that's why you can't follow reports". Maybe....but if you understand patterns and what they imply, you may be able to find fish for a few nights, or weeks, in the

The issue I wanted to raise and perhaps continue in discussion, is-
"Has fishing changed for so many of us, that some don't care about the "Why" any more, that the prime concern is the "Where?"

If so, don't we lose something in the process, if we are not interested in learning patterns, IF they develop, and why knowing that pattern can benefit our catching, and overall fishing experiences?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, folks...they are appreciated.....:thumbsup:

Ds I think you're fighting a losing battle trying to encourage guys to keep logs.This is something I read the other day. An excuse as to why a guy doesn't have time to write fishing logs. SMH at the cluelessness.

".... i dont have time to write ( log books ) im not retired lol idk if u r but im not and i have been catching em just not the last week and i really havent seen any caught either except monday i happened to walk into a blitz"

dogfish
10-23-2016, 06:16 AM
^^^^ It's the voice of the new generation, and I ain't talking Pepsi. a whole bunch of new fishermen on the scene want all the glory, but don't want to put hours or sweat into the game.

rockhopper
10-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Yeah I would have to agree. FB and internet report chasing has gotten so bad that guys will not get out of their seats unless they hear heavy action. What ashame. it's no longer surf casting for some it's surf chasing.

DarkSkies
11-21-2016, 08:36 AM
I saw a lot of guys leaving the beach yesterday when the bite slowed down during slack tide. The fish were picky, yes. Even the blues. But to have an activity level, during slack, is almost unheard of, unless there is a lot of bait and fish in the area.

A few old timers and I continued to catch fish, a slow pick, unhooking and releasing them quickly when w brought them in so as not to telegraph that we were catching.

Your success as a fisherman, long-term....depends on your ability to recognize certain bait patterns and conditions,. Adapt when necessary, hunt for the best conditions where fish are most likely to be, and exploit those conditions to your favor when you sense a good bite might develop.

This took years for me to learn...through many depressing times when I failed......failure is a good thing, IMO, because it forces you to think critically about what you are doing.....

It amazes me that a lot of modern fishermen, are content to skip this process, by chasing internet reports...or asking for directions to the best bite on social media.
By taking these shortcuts, you can't achieve your full potential as a fisherman, because you won't be able to recognize when you should stay in one area, because a bite is about to develop...
or leave and go to another area, because the bite is truly over....
because conditions have changed...
Just my thoughts....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-03-2017, 12:50 PM
The title of this thread has become even more compelling to me...after seeing the rise in laziness and report chasing on Social Media......For a long time I stopped helping people I met on my trips....realizing it could come back and ruin the fishing and experiences that mean so much to me........

Last year I had a change of heart....and began helping people again......but only in certain situations, when it seemed to me...they had that "spark".....that thirst for knowledge......It was something that I found absent from a majority of social media....folks more concerned with the "where" than the "why"......

It was refreshing to see it resurface again in some of the many interactions I had out there with New anglers who wanted to learn.......enough to give me renewed interest in helping........as I hope to help a select few hard workers this year......time permitting....

In fact, some of the richest experiences I had last year......were helping others....If a gruff, crabby, grouchy old fart......helped some of ya's to catch a fish or two last year...when you were struggling....that might have been me. :)
I'll try to share some of those stories when I get a chance.......

dogfish
03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Respectfully speaking, people don't want to work hard to find fish today. They don't even want to work hard at their jobs, Dark. They spend all day on their cell phones texting.