PDA

View Full Version : What is it more about

strikezone31
12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Is it more about moving water or the tides coming and going? I personally like to fish a few hours before the tide changes. It gives you better access to the bars, cuts, bowls and so forth.

Overheard a conversation between some guys and one said don't worry about the tides just fish any moving water. I fish more according to the tides. Is this guy correct?

Simp
12-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Well, where you have one, you will have the other. It takes a tidal current for water to move. The key, for me, is to look for water that is moving a little differently than the rest. Ex: A rip. Find these areas and you'll likely find fish holding on them.:thumbsup:

CharlieTuna
12-09-2009, 05:00 PM
The key, for me, is to look for water that is moving a little differently than the rest. Ex: A rip. Find these areas and you'll likely find fish holding on them.:thumbsup:

What Simp said. You can also find a "rip" along the beach somewhere if you have a big cut or hole with an outer sandbar. The longer the sandbar and the less cuts in it, the more attractive that rip will be. You can have a situation where you have water that is coming in to the sandbar, and the water will be flowing out at the same time because it is greater in volume than the water that is coming in. This creates an upwelling of current that is great for disorienting bait because they are not strong enough to swim through it. They will get tossed around and the bass will be waiting for them right at the bottom or side of the cut. In this sense, if you know the structure well, you may only have to cast out 10 or 15' to get into fish. The same principle works for breachways and inlet jetties in rocky areas. Find the water that is moving a little faster than the rest.

Simp
12-09-2009, 11:17 PM
And to add a little more to it...Everyone likes to see a really nice, STRONG rip, but you don't always get that, nor do you really need it. It doesn't have to be ripping like Niagra Falls. I've seen rips that were anything but strong, and they held fish like they were stacked like cord-wood down there. I've also seen guys walk right by the weakest of rips only to wish they hadn't when I start bailing bass right beside them. Moral of the story is this: If you see water that looks "different", FISH IT!:thumbsup: