PDA

View Full Version : Fishermen to March on Washington

finchaser
12-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Fishermen To March On Washington, Dc
FISHERMEN TO MARCH ON WASHINGTON, DC

For Immediate Release, December 10, 2009:

Recreational and commercial fishermen, support business owners, families, and community leaders will gather at the steps of our Nation’s Capitol on February 17, 2010 from noon to 3 PM to show congress a united front of the impacts caused by the unintended impacts of the Magnuson Stevens Conservation and Management Act as revised effective January, 2007 (RMSA). The overly restrictive management requirements created by the RMSA based on non scientific arbitrary deadlines are forcing anglers off the water, eliminating commercial fishing, preventing consumers from purchasing locally caught fresh seafood, destroying small family businesses, increasing unemployment, and adversely affecting coastal communities.

We fully support real science based management and the conservation of our marine resources while also being able to sustain recreational and commercial fishing activities, providing locally caught seafood, sustaining small family businesses, and supporting our coastal communities. Please stay tuned as the details are being developed and will be provided. Make your plans to join us for this historic event and work with us in a United effort from coast to coast.

UNITED WE FISH and FISHING MATTERS

CCGF urges all elected officials to work together and to join the efforts by the leaders of other coastal states for the best interests of our coastal communities and the Nation.

This effort is being coordinated by many organizations and individuals including but not limited to CCGF, RFA, FRA, United Boatmen of New York, United Boatmen of New Jersey, MSSA and more to be announced.

CCGF is a 501(c) (6) non profit that represents recreational for-hire vessel owners and operators, supporting businesses, and recreational anglers from the Gulf of Mexico

storminsteve
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Fishermen To March On Washington, Dc
The overly restrictive management requirements created by the RMSA based on non scientific arbitrary deadlines are forcing anglers off the water, eliminating commercial fishing, preventing consumers from purchasing locally caught fresh seafood, destroying small family businesses, increasing unemployment, and adversely affecting coastal communities.

We fully support real science based management and the conservation of our marine resources while also being able to sustain recreational and commercial fishing activities, providing locally caught seafood, sustaining small family businesses, and supporting our coastal communities. Please stay tuned as the details are being developed and will be provided. Make your plans to join us for this historic event and work with us in a United effort from coast to coast.

:clapping::clapping: About time! Any estimate of the projected numbers who might show up?

vpass
12-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I think we should all go. I hate the Idea it on a work week.

clamchucker
12-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I would like to see at least 100,000 of us there. Collectively we contributed $31 billion into the US economy in 2006, 2009 figures could be higher.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/20090112_fishstudy.html
Saltwater Recreational Fishermen Boon for Economy, Says NOAA

January 12, 2009
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/images/fishstudy2_small.jpg
Angela Annino of Connecticut holds up an impressive striped bass, one of New England's most popular sport fish.
High resolution (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/images/fishstudy2.jpg)[/URL] (Credit: NOAA)

Recreational saltwater anglers pumped more than $31 billion into the U.S. economy in 2006, with Florida, Texas, California, Louisiana, and North Carolina receiving the largest share according to a new study issued by NOAA’s Fisheries Service (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/images/cod.jpg).
At the national level, saltwater anglers are estimated to have spent $5.8 billion on trip-based expenses, such as ice, bait, and fuel, and another $25.6 billion on fishing equipment and durable goods like fishing rods, fishing tackle, and boats.
The top five coastal recreational fishing states are: Florida ($16.7 billion), Texas ($3.2 billion), California ($3.0 billion), Louisiana ($2.9 billion), and North Carolina ($2.0 billion).
In addition to quantifying angler expenditures, this study examines how these expenditures circulated through each state’s economy and the national economy using a regional assessment. The $31.4 billion in total U.S. expenditures in 2006 contributed $82.3 billion in total sales, $39.1 billion to gross national product, $24 billion in personal income, and supported nearly 534,000 jobs.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/images/fishstudy1_small.jpg
John Bartlett and his father show off a pair of mahi mahi caught near Oahu, Hawaii.
High resolution (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/images/fishstudy1.jpg) (Credit: NOAA)

The Economic Contribution of Marine Angler Expenditures in the United States 2006 is available [URL="http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st5/index.html"]online (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/images/cod.jpg). A hardcopy of this report may be obtained by contacting Scott Steinback (%20scott.steinback@noaa.gov) via e-mail or by mail at the address below:

DarkSkies
12-12-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm gonna try to make this one. It will be tough for me to make that trip, but I want to make a committment. We have to take a stand and be counted somewhere. :thumbsup:

I'll have 1 or 2 places in my van for anyone who wants to carpool and share gas expenses. Anyone wants to roll with us, contact me.

jigfreak
12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I will make a great effort to get there. A little too far off to know for sure but I put it on the calender.

DarkSkies
12-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Here's an update, date was changed to Feb 24th.

It will be a sacrifice for some of us to take off and travel that far, but it's only 5 hours away from NJ. Many of us will travel 3 or 4 hours to go fishin, so please ask youself if you can make this sacrifice.

This will be the biggest thing to be put together by fishermen in the past few years. Please don't leave it up to "the other guy" They need to see some big numbers down there to get the picture that we will not be stepped on any more. Fishermen have been removed from the decision-making process, replaced by scientists who do not represent our interests. It's time to let Washington and the lawmakers know that this is unacceptable to us.

I'll be there, will you? :thumbsup:

RFA press release:

http://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/63.gif?a=1102890531142Recreational Fishing Alliance Contact: Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732
For Immediate Release December 16, 2009

FISHERMEN TO MARCH ON WASHINGTON

"United We Fish" To Seek Congressional Support On February 24

December 16, 2009 - In a historic show of solidarity, recreational and commercial fishermen will gather together on the steps of the Capitol on February 24, 2010 from noon until 3 p.m. in an organized demonstration against the unintended negative impacts of the Magnuson Stevens Conservation and Management Act (MSA), the federal fisheries law which was revised in January of 2007. Coordinating the march under the flag of United We Fish, rally organizers are hoping to see a large show of force in defense of coastal communities.

"The closures keep coming and it's good to see the collective fishing communities and industries, both recreational and commercial, calling for scientific based Magnuson reform," said Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA). "We are all in this together." Donofrio cited recent closures of amberjack, black sea bass and red snapper fisheries as examples of what he calls a "broken" federal fisheries law.

The groups organized through United We Fish are hoping to prove to legislators just how many American anglers and business owners are truly being impacted by the overly restrictive management requirements created by MSA based on non scientific arbitrary deadlines. According to Bob Zales of the Conservation Cooperative of Gulf Fishermen (CCGF), the time-specific deadlines mandated by MSA coupled with flawed data collection methods are forcing anglers off the water. "We fully support real science based management and the conservation of our marine resources while also being able to sustain recreational and commercial fishing activities, providing locally caught seafood, sustaining small family businesses, and supporting our coastal communities."

This effort is being coordinated by many organizations and individuals including but not limited to the RFA, CCGF, United Boatmen of New York, United Boatmen of New Jersey, New York Sportfishing Federation, Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association and the Fishing Rights Alliance. "Some people have asked 'why, it's winter'," said Donofrio who said he's gotten the required permits and expects a large crowd in DC on February 24th, regardless of weather. "We can't let seasons stop the momentum, and if we wait any longer none of us will be fishing. Many members of Congress will be standing shoulder to shoulder with us," Donofrio said.

Nils Stolpe, a consultant to the commercial fishing industry and columnist for SavingSeafood.org said that over the past three decades since the original Magnuson Act was established, fishermen have been gradually phased out of the fisheries management process, regardless of sector. "The scientists have been put in charge, and as the list of closures and restrictions up above painfully demonstrates, the Act has been turned into a weapon that is now being used against fishermen and fishing communities."

U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) first introduced the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act of 2008 in the 110th Congress to incorporate "limited flexibility" into federal fisheries management. More than 100 fishing groups and industry members from around the country pledged their support for the legislation and the bill's 19 bipartisan coastal cosponsors, but the bill languished during the volatile economic climate in advance of the presidential elections in November of 2008.

Realizing that fisheries closures would continue without congressional intervention, in March of this year, Rep. Pallone and fellow Representatives John Adler (D-NJ), Henry Brown, Jr. (R-SC), Ginny Brown-Waite (R-FL), Barney Frank (D-MA), Walter B. Jones, Jr. (R-NC), Patrick Kennedy (D-RI), Frank LoBiondo (D-NJ), Mike McIntyre (D-NC), Michael Michaud (D-ME), Solomon Ortiz (D-TX) and John Tierney (D-MA), reintroduced the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act of 2009 (HR 1584). Twenty-five total co-sponsors have since pledged support to date including Rob Andrews (D-NJ), Timothy Bishop (D-NY), Allen Boyd (D-FL), Joe Courtney (D-CT), Peter King (R-NY), Rob Wittman (R-VA), Jo Bonner (R-AL), John Mica (R-FL), Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH), Clifford Stearns (R-FL), Donna Christensen (D-VI), Gus Bilirakis (R-FL), and Ander Crenshaw (R-FL).

Following a letter-writing campaign by the RFA-NY and members of the New York Sportfishing Federation, senior Democratic Senator Charles Schumer of New York announced his Senate version of the bill (S.1255). Currently, the Senate bill to correct the flaws in MSA has no co-sponsors, which is something United We Fish organizers are hoping will change in February.

"New York's Senator Schumer is as concerned about his fishing constituents as he is about the fish, just as Congressmen Pallone, Frank, Jones, LoBiondo, Kennedy, Adler and others in the House of Representatives are," said Stolpe. "Hence they have formed the nucleus of a growing movement in Congress that, in spite of the editorial opinion of the New York Times and the expenditure of many millions of dollars by the Pew Charitable Trusts, is aimed at preserving recreational and commercial fishing, the lifestyles of millions of fishermen, and the tens of thousands of businesses and hundreds of fishing communities that they support," Stolpe added.

Organizers from within the recreational fishing sector are hoping to get commitment from all user groups and across varied state and regional boundaries. "This is much bigger than any one state issue or individual grievance," said RFA's Managing Director Jim Hutchinson, Jr. "Whether it's our restrictive fluke fishery in New York, the arbitrary closure of state waters for our anglers in California, or the shutdown of red snapper and amberjack down south, our community has been divided by preservationist tactics for too long. It's time to unite the clans in defense of our coastal heritage and traditions," Hutchinson said.

"We need to let Congress and NOAA know that we are the collective voice of the recreational fishing community and the collective voice does not accept the current broken management system which wreaks such havoc on all of us and our businesses," said Donofrio, adding "The goal on February 24th will be to get all of our congressional friends to attend."

"At this point Senator Schumer and his Congressional colleagues in the House deserve the thanks and the support of every one of us who fishes, whether for fun or profit," said Stolpe.

The United We Fish rally is set for 2/24/10 at noon at the Capitol. For details as they become available, sign up for the RFA's email newsletter on the homepage at www.joinrfa.org. (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102890531142&s=10015&e=001jIQwo-fjS64tojxxWFoZ31RAa1SMhx3ZA7HeljmpLGGZ0DAQG0PpVJpx yMWoisGVbF_qRpmuwYSnO516NfR-Z-J7sQHZbR4jVkUKlU7j7h2S3fSteJj5iw==)

About Recreational Fishing Alliance

The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102890531142&s=10015&e=001jIQwo-fjS64tojxxWFoZ31RAa1SMhx3ZA7HeljmpLGGZ0DAQG0PpVJpx yMWoisGVbF_qRpmuwYSnO516NfR-Z-J7sQHZbR4jVkUKlU7j7h2S3fSteJj5iw==).

DarkSkies
12-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Capt Tony Bogan set up a deal with the Academy Bus Co. They will have buses leaving from NJ, and Pa, for the same low fare of $32/person. That price includes drop off service to and from the rally, and a bottle of water and a buttered roll. :lookhappy:

Not a bad deal if you consider the tolls, gas, traffic, etc in trying to make that trip by yourself. There are other sites putting buses together as well. Someone said they're doing it on BassBarn too. :thumbsup:

So for all those guys out there worried about the cost, this plan eliminates those worries, and gives ya a little food as part of your fare. In all, a pretty good deal:

March on DC Bus Tickets NOW AVAILABLE!!!!
SSFFF, United Boatmen, NJ-RFA and NJ-MTA have joined forces to arrange buses to take fishermen to Washington, DC on February 24th, 2010.

Our first departure point for buses will be Bogan's Deep Sea Fishing Center, located at 800 Ashley, Ave., Brielle, NJ 08730

Buses will depart at 6:15am SHARP on February 24th, 2010.

Free parking is available at Bogan's Deep Sea Fishing Center

Tickets are $32.00 per person

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS ON_LINE - to find out how to purchase tickets through the mail - for directions to the bus pick-up (http://ssfff.net/marchondcticketsdirections.html)

DarkSkies
12-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Sent in by OGB, thanks!

Capt Ron Santee of the Fisherman now has buses available from that location as well. It's getting easier and easier to make a committment to do this, guys and girls. And we do need lots of support, even though it's an unreasonable day to ask people to go.

This will be the first major gathering of fishermen on the Capitol in recent years. IMO it will be historic because it will show politicians and the federal fishing agencies we're willing to stand up and be counted. This isn't the case where you can send a check, or write a letter on this one.

We need bodies!!! :lookhappy:

Thanks to anyone who can make it! I know it's a huge sacrifice. :thumbsup: Tickets can be purchased for both locations at the link in the previous post.

Capt.Ron/Busses from Atlantic Highlands,Feb.24th, reserve now!!
Just got confirmation that busses will be leaving from Atlantic Highlands to Washington on the 24th....Once you have purchased your ticket from any of the supporting sights, feel free to contact me so I can add you to the Atlantic Highlands list.
Remember, this is all of our futures were talking about. We need a huge showing in Washington, not only people from NJ but the whole country.
The earlier you book, the easier it will be for all of us involved with the process and in keeping the transportation on track.

You can contact me through this sight PM or E mail.
Thanks to all, hope to see you on the 24th.
Capt.Ron

DarkSkies
01-07-2010, 11:05 PM
We need bodies!!! :lookhappy:

Thanks to anyone who can make it! I know it's a huge sacrifice. :thumbsup: Tickets can be purchased for both locations at the link in the previous post.

I'm quoting this to ask again, as I will continue to ask, for the support of anyone who can make it. This will be one of the most significant fishermen protests in recent history. It will be key because we are showing with our physical presence how important this is to us.

I know a lot of people won't be able to make it. A lot of members have expressed their regrets, I undertand all that. Work and family comes first. You can't do much protesting if you lose your job.

But for those who can, please help, register for those buses. It can't get any easier than that. Our fishing future is at stake here. It sucks that it's in the middle of the frikkin week! :2flip:

They have to see that we will not take this lying down. We will not bend over and let them screw us over and over and merely say thank you! :rolleyes: for the honor of being screwed.

For those who think striped bass are safe, think again.

I had several intense conversations with some more experienced fishermen today. They all predicted bass fishing will eventually collapse from the pressure placed on it by these closures.

We're not chicken little running around predicting the sky is falling.. people. We are just realists who realize that A=B=C.

This will become our reality if we let it happen. Honestly, I and others are of the opinion that Striped bass fishing will be shut down anyway.

I'm inviting anyone who feels the same to come and fight for what is ours. Please help us let them know we won't be dictated to any more. We have rights, and we won't let any one agency arbitrarily take them away, not as long as the colors below fly to remind us of the freedom we have! :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Yes, you should definitely make up some posters and organize this stuff ahead of time.

You can use whatever words you want on them, it's a free country. Make the letters big and legible. TV cameras will be there. We want to look like professionals from all walks of life, brought together by our passion for fishing. That's who we are, and we need to represent that for the people who will be watching the TV coverage out there.

If you're looking for ideas, here are some sent in by a member:

NOAA

n=now
o=obama
a=attacking
a=anglers

- No Bailout required-
FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED

All I ever wanted to do is Fish....

The Best available Science is putting us out of business!!

Save the Fisherman

We can't keep what we catch anyway...why stop us?

PEW has infiltrated a once honest agency!!

Money talks....Hard working Americans go broke!

How many people do you know work 7 days a week for months on end to be told....you don't matter!!

We've paid our dues for years with size and bag limits...The Reward....Loose everything!!

Conflict of Interest Appointments should NEVER BE ALLOWED!!!!

NOAA= We Screw you... Because we can!

The Smallest guy has the biggest voice....is anyone listening???

N.O.A.A.= Gestapo tactics

Everything in life comes at a cost....Including our children's future.

basshunter
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I would like to see at least 100,000 of us there. Collectively we contributed $31 billion into the US economy in 2006, 2009 figures could be higher.

There are a lot of fisherman who should be attending. Hopefull there will be well over 100,000.

DarkSkies
01-27-2010, 08:47 AM
There are a lot of fisherman who should be attending. Hopefull there will be well over 100,000.

Basshunter, I'm hoping for that, but can't help being pessimistic about the total turnout. '

Some of the biggest fishing sites out there are chartering buses and having trouble filling them. To the credit of some anglers, there are even guys who can't make it who are offering to pay for a seat for someone who will go. :clapping::clapping:

I think anglers will be there in the thousands.

But realistically, that's not enough to make our presence felt. Washington is a big place. A few thousand people, even 10,000, is a small blip on a radar screen of public opinion.

There are millions of people who fish. The last estimate I heard, there were 1.5 million in NJ alone. And we also have PA, NY, DE, MD, VA, NC, FL, MA, RI, ME, CT, all the states who have an interest in this.

So many states, millions upon millions of anglers. :wow:

I hate to say this, but the apathy and complacency still seem to have a place on all the internet sites, including here. :(

You guys are all great, and I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad.

However, we are faced with serious restrictions. On another board yesterday, I saw that people were getting in arguments over this. One member even went as far as to blame the SSFFF for the saltwater license and the new restrictions. :kooky:

There's a lot of different angler groups coming together on this. Many have said to me: "Rich it's all about the charter and boat guys. I fish from shore, why not let them fight that fight. Why me?"

I'll tell you why, listen to some of Finchaser's arguments and others in this thread if you still have doubts:
Why should I get involved?
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5610

I'll use myself as an example. When was the last time I was out fishing for seabass, or on a party or charter boat as a regular customer?
Probably more than 5 years ago?
So why should I take a day off for this crap, why not let everyone else yell and scream for me?

Because in the last years that I've been involved in fishermens' rights and meetings, I've noticed a disturbing trend among us fishermen.

1.Many rant about the problems on the internet.
2. Everyone has a strong, carefully considered, opinion as to what they think should be done, and why.
3. Guys can debate fishermens access, fishermens rights, and fishing rights topics on the internet for hours, days, 10 pages.

When it comes to showing up to protest about something, it's the same few people over and over. :huh:

Many are content to leave it up to "Joe, Bob, Bill,....they can go because I'm too busy"

I understand being too busy.
I understand not being able to go.
I understand your job may be hanging by a thread in this economy.'
If all of the above are true, no one has the right to judge you.

I understand you may think you don't have a dog in this fight, it doesn't apply to you.
If that's the case, please don't judge others who think this is important.

There are guys like Finchaser, Joe Melillo, the SSFFF, RFA, JCAA, and other heroes in the shadows who have fought for us to have the rights we have today, fought the bunker boats, fought for the 200 mile limit, all historically significant fishermens' rights battles. :clapping:

I'm telling you guys and girls out there, this March on Washington will be looked back on as a historically significant march. If the participation is poor, it will be egg on the face of every fisherman who says they care.

I also heard there will be some environmentalist groups organized in a counter-demonstration. How would it look in the political arena if the Antis outnumber the fishermen? :2flip:

Please try to get on board and support this thing in some way. If you can't make it, consider a $$ contribution to a group you feel best represents your interests.

A loss on this one is a loss for all of us.

I don't know how many more ways I can phrase it to try to get people to see that. :don't know why:

In any event, if you don't agree, please stop the hating on the groups who are trying. They might not be doing exactly what you feel they should, but at least they're doing something. :thumbsup:

And I'll be part of that. I would love to be able to convince just a few more people to join us. :lookhappy: :thumbsup:

jigfreak
01-27-2010, 09:03 AM
In any event, if you don't agree, please stop the hating on the groups who are trying. They might not be doing exactly what you feel they should, but at least they're doing something. :thumbsup:

And I'll be part of that. I would love to be able to convince just a few more people to join us. :lookhappy: :thumbsup:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Great post!

clamchucker
01-27-2010, 11:23 AM
He's right folks. This is the most restrictive climate I have seen in all my years of fishing. The people in charge would be very happy if we did not fish. I should be there, health permitting. Please think about coming down.

BassBuddah
01-27-2010, 03:04 PM
I hate to say this, but the apathy and complacency still seem to have a place on all the internet sites, including here. :(

You guys are all great, and I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad.

However, we are faced with serious restrictions. On another board yesterday, I saw that people were getting in arguments over this. One member even went as far as to blame the SSFFF for the saltwater license and the new restrictions. :kooky:

What gets me is on all these internet sites you have these self-proclaimed experts. Whenever a problem is brought up for discussion, you have these yahoos and experts bringing up all sorts of reasons why it can't be solved. Or, they will try to deny the evidence right in front of them because you can't specifically document it. I mean, does anyone out there actually understand that you can't count all fish in the ocean.:huh: You will always have different opinions in such an imperfect system

Instead of working toward some sort of solution, contacting their Congress, or throwing some bucks to a group that might help, these internet gurus are full of negativity. Does anyone remember Cliff Clavin from the old Cheers TV series? He knew it all and I don't remember him being able to solve any of his own problems. On the internet you have the Cliff Clavins of the world prognosticating on the struggles out there.

Guess what, folks - if you are not part of the solution, you ARE PART of the problem. And if you refuse to even acknowledge that there might be a problem and instead prefer to blame it on others, then YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!
My $1.50.

storminsteve
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
On the internet you have the Cliff Clavins of the world prognosticating on the struggles out there.

Great point BB, I might just steal this for my tag line.:D

finchaser
01-27-2010, 05:08 PM
What gets me is on all these internet sites you have these self-proclaimed experts. Whenever a problem is brought up for discussion, you have these yahoos and experts bringing up all sorts of reasons why it can't be solved. Or, they will try to deny the evidence right in front of them because you can't specifically document it. I mean, does anyone out there actually understand that you can't count all fish in the ocean.:huh: You will always have different opinions in such an imperfect system

Instead of working toward some sort of solution, contacting their Congress, or throwing some bucks to a group that might help, these internet gurus are full of negativity. Does anyone remember Cliff Clavin from the old Cheers TV series? He knew it all and I don't remember him being able to solve any of his own problems. On the internet you have the Cliff Clavins of the world prognosticating on the struggles out there.

Guess what, folks - if you are not part of the solution, you ARE PART of the problem. And if you refuse to even acknowledge that there might be a problem and instead prefer to blame it on others, then YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!
My $1.50.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: :clapping:

gjb1969
01-27-2010, 07:22 PM
i wish i could go but bin out of work too long and bills are out of control and i cant put it off any longer:scared:

DarkSkies
01-29-2010, 09:43 AM
G, no shame if ya can't go, it is what it is. The message in my post was there are a lot of guys who could make that trip, but are procrastinating or thinking that someone else will be able to speak for them.

Apathy and complacency.

You definitely don't fit into that category man. You were at the SSFFF meeting with me even though you're not a regular party boat customer, or someone who primarily fishes for fluke. You were there because you care about the rights of all fishermen and were willing to take some time to go down and check it out, see for yourself.

The fishin world needs more like you G, it's all good. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
01-29-2010, 09:58 AM
There are still lots of guys on the fence about this. They're having trouble filling the buses in some areas. As I said, this will be the most significant fishermens' gathering in recent times. It would look bad for us if there was a poor turnout. :embarassed:

Please consider making that trip, guys and girls. It's not just about seabass, or fluke, or fishing on a head boat. If changes are not made, mark my words the Striped Bass will be next. Then, when that grabs the attention of anglers, it may be too late. :don't know why:

Here's why you should consider going, in it's simplest denominator:
1.We as fishermen have rights.
2.They are being trampled on or ignored in the favor of scientific studies that are not currently accurate.
3. Fisheries management committees that do not have the voice of fishermen on their boards are making these decisions for us.
4. Policy modifications to the above are only coming about because of fishermen being actively involved in these political groups representing the fishermen.

Here's an article that was in today's APP:

http://www.app.com/article/20100129/SPORTS06/1290322/The-battle-for-sea-bass
The battle for sea bass

By John Oswald • STAFF WRITER • January 29, 2010

Angler's hopes were buoyed a couple weeks ago when it was announced that the Science and Statistical Committee of the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council recommended an increase in the black sea bass quota for 2010. It was an increase of 1.8 million pounds above the initial recommendation.

For many, it was a surprising bit of news. Most have come to believe that when the government makes a decision, especially when it comes to fishery management, there is no going back. The news about the higher quota was nearly as surprising as the emergency shutdown that hit the black sea bass fishery in October.

However, both decisions didn't come out of the blue. The first was a result of the long-standing use of unreliable MRFSS data, and the second came through the hard work of those dedicated to preserving recreational angling.

Captain Adam Nowalsky of the Karen Ann II, and chairman of the New Jersey chapter of the Recreational Fishing Alliance has been closely involved in recreational fishing management issues and provided an insider's view of the battle behind the scenes in the black sea bass fishery. It's a complicated, convoluted tale and to call it confusing would be a gross understatement.

The problems began in 2008 when conflicting studies provided different pictures of the black sea bass stock. A stock assessment workshop indicated that the sea bass stock was relatively constant throughout the decade, while a government trawl study determined black sea bass were in trouble.

Quotas for the 2009 season were set before the stock assessment study, which said the stock was not overfished, was published. Basing its decision on the trawl study, which carried a number of questions about its accuracy, the SSC halved the black sea bass quota for 2009, when in fact the fishery was in good shape.

In July of 2009, the SSC decided to err on the side of caution for black sea bass and maintain the status quo for 2010. However, the Black Sea Bass Monitoring Committee, considering the stock assessment study, wanted to increase the quota. That plan was rejected.

What did happen, Nowalsky said, was the efforts by a number of groups, including the RFA, both national and the New Jersey Chapter, the United Boatmen, The Marine Trades Association, members of the Save The Summer Flounder Fishery Fund and New Jersey's representatives to the Mid-Atlantic Fisheries Management Council (MAFMC) to get the SSC to revisit the data. There was precedence for this as quotas for Atlantic herring and red crabs had been revisted and revised in other areas.

What was critical for this to happen, Nowalsky said, was a new process instituted at an October MAFMC meeting witch allowed the SSC and the Black Sea Bass Monitoring Committe to interact. The new process enabled the two bodies to confer at a meeting in January, in which the recommendation to increase the quota was made.

Now all that has to happen is for the Regional Administrator for NOAA, Patricia Kurkul, to institute an emergency action to approve the increase. Ironically, it was Kurkul who authored the emergency action that closed the black sea bass fishery in October. That closure was the result of MRFSS data projecting that black sea bass landings would grossly exceed quota.

"The bottom line here, is that when people get educated about the process, inject themselves into the process, that change can be affected," Nowalsky said.

" Everybody wants something to take place right now, but we need some patience, this is completely uncharted territory, he added."

Nowalsky hopes that when the Atlantic States Marine Fishery Commission, which is not constrained by federal regulations, approves the higher quota for state waters. He also hopes that the Regional Administrator follows suit in approving the quota. Once that happens, then discussions will take place regarding size, seasons and bag limits for black sea bass. Those decisions will come this spring.

For now, Nowalsky, and those individuals who are working hard to protect fishermen's rights, have plenty to keep them busy. They are working on promoting the passage of the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act, sponsored in the House by Rep. Frank Pallone (NJ) and in the Senate by Sen. Charles Schumer (NY) and organizing the United We Fish March On Washington, DC on Feb. 24. Drawing the attention of lawmakers to the bill is one of the goals of the March.

"If you own a fishing rod, you belong at the March," said Greg Hueth of the Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund. "This legislation affects us all and will for years to come."

DarkSkies
02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
For now, Nowalsky, and those individuals who are working hard to protect fishermen's rights, have plenty to keep them busy. They are working on promoting the passage of the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act, sponsored in the House by Rep. Frank Pallone (NJ) and in the Senate by Sen. Charles Schumer (NY) and organizing the United We Fish March On Washington, DC on Feb. 24. Drawing the attention of lawmakers to the bill is one of the goals of the March.

"If you own a fishing rod, you belong at the March," said Greg Hueth of the Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund. "This legislation affects us all and will for years to come."

Just another reminder of the March on Washington, guys and girls. There was a generous gift made of 1000 (that's right, 1000)protest signs made by George Wilson of Twill Printing in Berkeley Heights, NJ. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

These signs will be given to Capt Tony Bogan and distributed to anglers going on the buses leaving from Bogan's marina.

Info courtesy of Finchaser:

Thanks to George Wilson of Twill Printing in Berkeley Heights NJ there are 1000 signs being delivered to Capt TB today! 500 each of

"I VOTE I FISH"

and

"FIX MSA NOW"

You can all make your signs to say whatever you want. However the organizers have asked that you not make them antagonistic towards legislators or the NOAA.

In other words,

Eff NOAA, NOAA suxx, down with Lubchenko!!!:2flip::2flip:

would not be appropriate. :laugh:
They want to focus on the fact that we are voicing our opinions in a non-threatening way. This free speech is guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.

The eyes of the world will be on us that day, with dozens of news cameras.

As much as I would like to make a home-made sign with the above highlighted phrases, let's try to remain respectful.

Be aware that some type of PETA freak group will be counter-demonstrating, and may be yelling at fishermen about us killing "sea-kittens". :ROFLMAO

It's important not to engage or argue with these freaks in any way, otherwise you'll just be giving them more publicity.

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I interviewed Dave A, one of the founding members of SSFFF and a guy who constantly involves himself in fisheries management issues.

He's one of the guys going to those meetings, the boring ones that most of us don't want to go to. After all, what's the point, why should we care? :don't know why:

Dave had some interesting opinions on that, check it out...

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 09:10 PM

skinner
02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
The march is not easy to get to for most. Sometimes we have to think about our where our fishing rights will end up if we do not do something about it now. If you can please attend.

rip316
02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
I have two days of seminars Wed. and Thurs. that have been booked for a month and a half now. I would love to hop on a bus with you guys and and tell some fishing stories. Then get to DC and stick my middle finger up at the whitehouse and moon Obama. lol. Hust can't make it. I actually had to remind my boss about these two seminars cuz he was talking about going. SORRY GUYS.

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 11:59 PM
SORRY GUYS.

No need to be sorry man, it is what it is. If ya can't make the rally, I'm asking guys if they would consider sending a few dollars to the RFA. It doesn't have to be a lot, if you can only spare $3 or $5 that's ok too. Every little bit helps. :thumbsup:

From the United we fish site:

Things to Know
Travel around Washington can be done by any mode. Parking is always an issue so if you drive your own vehicle it is suggested that you try to find parking at Union Station or any parking garage near there. The rally is being held just two blocks from Union Station (walk SE down Delaware Avenue from Union Station towards the Capitol and look for the crowd of 3,000 assembled in Area 2 on your right at the corner of Delaware and Constitution Avenue!)
In terms of getting around the DC area, taxis are good but can also be a little expensive. The Metro is always good and not very expensive. Go to: www.wmata.com (http://www.wmata.com/), then click on “maps and stations”, then you will see the metro map. The metro operates by “lines”, yellow, blue, red, green, and orange. You can find the line nearest where you will be staying and then navigate to where you want to go. The best place to get to the rally is “Union Station” on the red line.
To buy tickets for the metro there are vending machines before you get on. You can place any amount from a dollar to $20 in the machine and get a ticket. A $10 ticket is all you need. Once you have a ticket you go to the turnstiles and insert the ticket into the slot. When you get off at your destination you will insert your ticket and it will return it to you with the amount deducted for the distance traveled - $10 will get you around town several times. Keep in mind, the folks who work at the metro are very helpful and will answer any question you have.
Rally attendees should remember, the rally has been coordinated in an effort to reform the Magnuson Stevens Act. At precisely 12 noon, the rally will kick off with presentations by key Senators and Congressmen who are supporting our efforts in the fishing community to add common sense to the federal fisheries law through passage of Senate Bill 1255 and House Bill 1584. As written, the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act would allow the Secretary of Commerce limited flexibility to make important fisheries management decisions in extending the 10-year rebuilding time frame for coastal fisheries currently on a positive rebuilding trend.
Click here to familiarize yourself with HR1584/S1255. (http://theparamount.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/flexibilityinrebuildingamericanfisheriesact.pdf)
Field Marshalls and Crowd Marshalls (look for the orange hats) will be helping coordinate foot traffic between Union Station and Area 2 by the Capitol and will strictly monitoring activities along the rally grounds. If any counter-demonstrators (think PETA, etc.) or hecklers provide a problem, quickly notify one of the Marshalls or find a Uniformed Police Officer. Do not engage any hecklers or counter-protestors!
Also, please avoid confrontational behavior and remain respectful. If a rally participant or heckler becomes dangerous or overly confrontational, please contact a Uniformed Police Officer.
If there is an emergency at any location during the Rally or March, immediately call “911” on your cell phone, or contact a Uniformed Police Officer. An ambulances will be stationed nearby to respond immediately. All incidents should be reported one of the Marshalls (orange hats) or a Uniformed Police Officer. Several trained medical personnel will be roaming the crowd with AEDs for possible heart attack victims. Call an ambulance first, then alert one of these people!

No drinking, no profanity, and avoid all confrontation! A peaceful, respectful rally will help us win in DC on February 24th, and will ensure a most memorable and truly historic event.

rip316
02-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Where do I send the donation Rich? What is the RFA. Don't want to sound stupid but, I haven't heard of it? Thanks for the info.

rip316
02-23-2010, 12:53 AM
RECREATIONAL FISHING ALLIANCE. Man i'm a lazy SOB. Anyway, Will do.

DarkSkies
02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
RECREATIONAL FISHING ALLIANCE. Man i'm a lazy SOB. Anyway, Will do.

Thanks, Rip, every little bit helps. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Part of this was explained in the post above, I'll just post the highlights:

MAGNUSON REFORM NOW -
THE DC RALLY FOR FISHERMEN'S RIGHTS

February 24, 2010, noon.

The fishermen's rally in Washington DC has been set for two months - it's been two decades in the making.

Those fishermen planning to attend should remember that the rally has been coordinated in an effort to reform Magnuson. At precisely 12 noon, the rally will kick off with presentations by key Senators and Congressmen who are supporting our efforts in the fishing community to add common sense to the federal fisheries law through passage of Senate Bill 1255 and House Bill 1584. As written, the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act would allow the Secretary of Commerce limited flexibility to make important fisheries management decisions in extending the 10-year rebuilding timeframe for coastal fisheries currently on a positive rebuilding trend.

Click here to familiarize yourself with HR1584/S1255. (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103086330885&s=10015&e=001DWf4tJ7_mIpTgRt017e3gi8k34G9iQghhEe9pCsnZZYWj _9KxEEiqDdzfNwJK2b3gMk1TXohb30vWYupdJJsjKUXx9CbDzK 4ZVWycTAM81NBB1tVEPiEvGhRiqwZ3UluOpC8ysJuprBPkSYNk pJJ4cif3tFSPalebkYPgsEPHEo0gQ5r19szNJUEkyI-FG9Rz4k88WH7gufS_Cfh-0dmGVHGxs6ECxAWEujLtyl4hYMju1deN8CuZg==)

Field Marshalls and Crowd Marshalls (look for the orange hats) will be helping coordinate foot traffic between Union Station and Area 2 by the Capitol and will strictly monitoring activities along the rally grounds. If any counter-demonstrators (think PETA, etc.) or hecklers provide a problem, quickly notify one of the Marshalls or find a Uniformed Police Officer.

Do not engage any hecklers or counter-protestors!

Also, please avoid confrontational behavior and remain respectful. If a rally participant or heckler becomes dangerous or overly confrontational, please contact a Uniformed Police Officer.

This is the first time in history that members of the recreational sector are united with America's commercial fishermen in a call for fisheries reform - our differences on gear and allocation will continue in the days ahead, but on February 24th, we are united in a call for open access to healthy, sustainable fisheries.

If there is an emergency at any location during the Rally or March, immediately call "911" on your cell phone, or contact a Uniformed Police Officer. An ambulance will be stationed nearby to respond immediately. All incidents should be reported one of the Marshalls (orange hats) or a Uniformed Police Officer. Several trained medical personnel will be roaming the crowd with AEDs for possible heart attack victims. Call an ambulance first, then alert one of these people!

No drinking, no profanity, and avoid all confrontation! A peaceful, respectful rally will help us win in DC on February 24th, and will ensure a most memorable and truly historic event.

Cleared Items to Bring

<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Small umbrellas <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Water, lunch, hand-carried small coolers <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Lawn chairs that you can carry in <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Cameras<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Blankets<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Backpacks
Hand Held Signs, wood supports, no screws

Prohibited Items

<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Tents, canopies <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Nothing to sell <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Firearms or explosive devices
Nothing to stake in the ground
*All backpacks, purses and bags will be inspected

Signs, banners, and placards are permitted as a part of a permitted activity. All supports for these items must not exceed three quarters (¾) of an inch at their largest point, have dull ends, and made entirely of wood. There can be no nails, screws, or bolt-type fastening devices protruding from the wooden supports. These items may not be used to offer any item for sale, to solicit contributions or contain any form of advertising. Any display of signs, banners, placards, and related items is strictly prohibited inside all Capitol Buildings.

Remember, this event is to help reform our federal fisheries law - keep that in mind when making up your signs.

I FISH, I VOTE

REFORM MAGNUSON NOW

Like it says above, this is the first time in angling history for an event like this. I'm hoping for a real good turnout. Even if you can make it at the last minute, every "body" counts! :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Just got back from the rally. G and I went. Had a great time, heard lots of different perspectives.

I felt the turnout could have better, though there were crowd estimates from 3-4,000 people. More on that later.

Keeping on a positive note, people need to realize that this is the first time something on this scale has been done by united groups of fishermen in recent history.

Everyone who was there made an affort to be part of that process. For that effort, whether some might look down on it or not, I think everyone who attended today deserves much praise and thanks for trying to be part of the solution, not the problem. :clapping::clapping::clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I shot some great video interviews. It may take a while to get them up.

If G has time maybe he can tell us a little about what he thought of the day.

I'll try to have all the videos up ASAP. I shot over 80, so it may take some time.

Thanks to all the people, from all walks of life, who banded together today in a show of solidarity to try to fix something that's definitely broken. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Here's one from a Capt Howard:

"There was pretty good attendance at the rally but I thought a lot more people would turn out( when you think about how many people saltwater fish in NJ alone). A lot of talking the talk but not many doing the walk.Hey all the guys I went with including me lost a days pay. Talk is cheap and that's where I will stop on my criticism of those who did not go.
Lots of politicians and guest speakers so I am hopeful that something was accomplished.
Where were you? "

I hope people can look at this in the context of what he said. I think it was less of a case of him judging anyone in particular, but more of a case of this gentleman expressing a feeling that he wished more people could attend. :learn:

Taking offense at the statement would take away from the spirit of what this rally was about, at least to me...to protest the rights that are slowly being taken away from ALL fishermen.

As we were at the rally, another development from the NOAA/NMFS revealed a further restriction in bluefin tuna fishing. This was done without input or comments from fishermen. Too many of these things have happened this year.

3 things I would say to anyone who wasn't able to go today:

1. Just because you may not fish for a species that was on the "topic list" today, please don't assume your fishing is safe. Striped bass can be shut down as easily by NOAA as they did by restricting bluefin, or shutting down seabass, red snapper, and grouper.

2. Not everyone can take off work and attend things like this in the middle of the week, that's understandable.
By the same token, anglers wiser than I have mentioned that guys have no problem driving 5 hours to MA, Montauk, or RI to get in on a hot codfish bite.
Anglers have no trouble calling in "sick" when the 40# bass are around and you have to get out there in a hurry. :don't know why:
Conversely, there should have been at least as many as the above category willing to make the 3 1/2 hour drive to Washington to fight for our dwindling rights. That was one of the recurring themes I heard from many anglers who made it down today.

Again, it's not finger pointing, some people just can't make those sacrifices. However, it's something that we as anglers need to think about. There are millions of anglers that fish our coastal areas. We are one of the most fractionalized groups out there when it comes to organization and supporting fishermens' rights. That's a subject that merits some further discussion and awareness. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

3. As a final suggestion to point #2 above, the things happening around us, fishing restrictions, MPA announcements, beach access, and many other issues are a clear indication that angler awareness needs to be raised.
If you can't get involved because of committments, please consider keeping yourself informed by reading as much as you can.
If you still would like to do or learn more, please consider contributing to the fisherman PAC/ PAG (political action group) that you feel best represents your interests. That's how the political system works, whether you agree or not. These PACS out there are our best shot of getting politicians to actually listen and vote according to our angling needs.

bababooey
02-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks for taking the time to go, Dark.
The APP put out something already.

from www.app.com (http://www.app.com)

Sport, commercial fishermen rally in Washington

By KIRK MOORE (kmoore@app.com) • STAFF WRITER • February 24, 2010
WASHINGTON — An unprecedented joint demonstration by recreational and commercial fishermen drew more than 3,000 people to the Capitol, a show of force that lawmakers said could be a first step to changing federal fisheries law.

"The days of managing fisheries by ideology have got to end," Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., told the cheering crowd in Upper Senate Park. "We need sound scientific findings that put the needs of fish and fishermen on the same playing field."

"There is no group that is more environmental than fishermen," said Rep. Frank Pallone Jr., D-N.J. "They've been on the forefront of trying to stop pollution of the ocean for years."

Pallone and Schumer are prime sponsors of legislation in the House and Senate respectively to allow deadline extensions for rebuilding depleted fish stocks.

Organized by the Recreational Fishing Alliance, United Boatmen of NY/NJ and other groups, the rally called attention to regulations that have ratcheted down catch limits, and tofishermen's contentions that those rules are based on faulty or incomplete data.

"With the regulations they're calling for, it's not worth it to go out," said Eric Parker of Stafford, who runs the charter boat Snow Goose out of Beach Haven. "We have nothing against regulations, we follow them religiously."

But with this year's summer flounder season looking like it will have a two-fish daily limit and short season, it is difficult to stay in business, Parker said.

"If the fishermen don't go out, nobody makes money," said mate Nhan La.

"The fluke (summer flounder) season and the black sea bass shutdown really affected me," said Valerie Zak, owner of Oceanside Bait and Tackle in Long Beach Township.

Federal officials imposed a six-month ban on black sea bass fishing in October, citing estimates that too many fish were being caught, although a new stock assessment had concluded the species is not overfished.

Grinding reductions to the New England fleet is destroying the industry in America's oldest port of Gloucester, Mass., said Gloucester Mayor Carolyn Kirk.

"Our port has already lost 80 percent of its fleet — the home port of fishermen," Kirk said. "These regulations will make our city extinct."

"It's something else," said Richard Isaksen of the Belford Seafood Cooperative in Middletown, N.J., as he surveyed the crowd of recreational and commercial fishermen — so often rivals — rallying together. "I hope something comes of it. If it doesn't pretty soon we'll all be out of business."

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 04:07 AM
Some crowd scenes...

I fish I vote!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Waiting for change

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 04:16 AM
I talked to about 400 people. Some were camera shy, no big deal. :don't know why:I would say it seemed to me there was about a 60/40 split between comms. and recs. Everywhere you turned there were groups of commercial fishermen who traveled from as far away as TX.

An interesting thing I noticed is that more comms than recs were willing to go on record and try to explain how the NOAA/NMFS actions have affected them.

So I did try to keep it balanced, but in the interviews ahead it may seem like more came from comm anglers. I'm only (slightly) :rolleyes: aggressive when trying to get an interview. :laugh: I don't want to force people to make statements. And I understand people being camera shy as well.

However, at a public rally people might be asked questions why they came. There were a good amount of print reporters milling around the crowd doing interviews. So IMO it would be a good strategic move for rec guys to get used to giving short interviews. That's the only way awareness will be raised out there. :thumbsup:

finchaser
02-25-2010, 08:06 AM
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_055230045.html?keyword=topstory

finchaser
02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Statement by Eric Schwaab, NOAA Assistant Administrator for Fisheries, on Today’s “United We Fish” Rally at Capitol Hill

February 24, 2010
I am here today to listen to those who have come to rally Congress. I know the key to any successful fishery management program is active involvement by commercial and recreational fishermen as well as other interested stakeholders.
Marine fish and fisheries have been vital to the prosperity of this nation’s coastal communities for hundreds of years. Today, however, more than 20 percent of the nation’s fish stocks are overfished and need to be rebuilt to larger, healthier populations so that they can produce their full economic potential for fishermen, coastal communities and the nation.
In 2006, Congress reauthorized and strengthened the Magnuson-Stevens Act to meet that important goal. This reauthorization was groundbreaking in many respects, including the requirement that we use science-based annual catch limits to end overfishing on all stocks. Ending overfishing is the first step to allowing a fish stock population to rebuild to a level where the stock can be fished sustainably for the long term.
I recognize and appreciate the sacrifices being made today by the men and women in the commercial and recreational fishing industries to end overfishing and rebuild marine fish stocks as required by Magnuson. These sacrifices have the potential to result in significant long-term economic benefits to fishing communities and the nation as well as benefits to the overall ocean ecosystems. Recognizing the sacrifices being made to transition to more sustainable fishing, NOAA and Congress has made a commitment of $18.6 million to assist in the transition to sectors in the Northeast groundfish industry.
Rebuilding stocks has already led to important successes and significant economic benefits for fishermen, coastal communities and the nation. Some examples are the sea scallop, monkfish, bluefish and Gulf of Mexico king mackerel fisheries. The dockside value revenues in the sea scallop industry have increased from $84.7 million in 1994 when the stock was overfished to $370 million in 2008. The healthy bluefish stocks on the Atlantic coast provide consistent, reliable fishing opportunities for shore and party and charter boat anglers and the related economic benefits of sportfishing to a wide variety of shore businesses.
We estimate that once the nation rebuilds all fisheries, which we are on a track to do and required to do by law, the dockside value of our commercial fisheries would go from $4.1 billion to $6.3 billion annually, a 54 percent increase. Rebuilding recreational fisheries will help improve the economies of our nation’s coastal communities; saltwater angling generated $82 billion in sales and supported more than 500,000 jobs annually in NOAA’s most recent report.
I understand the criticism of the 10-year rebuilding timeframes in Magnuson. However, I believe Magnuson already contains the flexibility we need for rebuilding stocks by allowing certain exceptions based on biology and other issues. Balancing rebuilding for the long-term health of coastal communities with the immediate economic effects remains a challenge for everyone involved in implementing the act’s mandate to end overfishing and rebuild stocks.
Although I’ve only been in my job as head of NOAA’s Fisheries Service for a little more than a week, I am familiar with fishing communities, their proud traditions, and the challenges we face in keeping them vibrant for future generations. I am interested in hearing the concerns of everyone involved, and I look forward to a cooperative and productive relationship.

storminsteve
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for making the trip, guys.:thumbsup:
I was wondering why no TV coverage?

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Steve, it might be because the rally wasn't big enough, or we weren't deemed important enough. :don't know why:I don't know the actual answer. I think at least a few of the higher ups in the Bogan crew or the RFA might have called the press.

They did have quite a few print reporters there doing interviews for local newspapers. There were also some reporters gathering info for upcoming articles on this subject. I ran into Karen Wall from the Fisherman, among others.

I also heard there was some TV reporting on a local FL station with a film clip of the fishermen leaving on the buses. Someone else said a local PA station had some coverage, not at the rally, but of fishermen either coming or leaving on the buses.

It could have been better, sure, but it's a start. There are a lot of naysayers out there. I wonder who will be saying "nay" if the striped bass fishery gets shut down? :rolleyes:

Eric Schwab from NOAA came and gave the press a statement. IMO they are so out of touch with what's really happening... the way I read that statement posted above by Finchaser, it seems to me like the opinions of the fishermen don't really matter. That's why more support and pressure is needed.

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I realize there's not much support for commercial fishermen on internet sites like this. I've been pretty vocal myself in blasting comms for some of the methods and practices. I think it's an illusion to believe that comms and recs will always get along.

That being said, I estimated yesterday the 60/40 split had more comms attending than recs. As you view the interviews I shot here and hear the comments, please restrain yourself from making comments attacking one side or the other. If you want to share your opinion, please do. :thumbsup:

But before you do, please realize that without the commercial fishermen that showed up yesterday to voice their opinions, there would have been about 1000-1500 people TOPS, at the rally. :eek:

If we consider 3-4000 people a relatively light angler representation, think how embarassing that would have been if if was Recs only and the press reported only the 1000-1500 figure. We really would be the laughingstock of the NOAA and NMFS officials.

Again, this isn't about who went and who didn't. There are all kinds of ways to give financial support if you can't give your time.

But please try not to judge the people who did take the financial hit to make it down there yesterday. Every single person who was there yesterday, was needed (except maybe the drunk fisherman who was slobbering all over himself couldn't walk straight) Why is it always my fortune to run into people like that? :rolleyes: :laugh:

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Here ya go, if any corrections or edits need to be made please contact me and I'll gladly make them.

Most of these are 1-2 minute short clips except for the ones where I interviewed key speakers or figures central to the rally.

I tried to get people from all walks of life to chime in here. Some of them really came across as quite compelling in the things they had to say. I learned a lot, nice meeting you all. :HappyWave:

Robin, Montauk

Cliff Parker, Big Easy charters, NC

Robert Welch, FLa

Ron Surrency Jacksonville Fla

buckethead
02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Dark,

Those video's are great. Thanks for taking the time to go there and do the reporting. Do you have more video's? They should be sent to the president.

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Dark,

Those video's are great. Thanks for taking the time to go there and do the reporting. Do you have more video's? They should be sent to the president.

Buckethead, yeah I have a few more. ;)
4 done, about 77 left to post up.

As for sending the videos to the president, I don't think we matter too much to him. The only thing politicians understand is votes and large organized voting blocs. We really need more people to jump on board for this to continue to maintain attention. Glad you liked it, I'm just trying to show a cross-section of stories from the people I met.

baitstealer
02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Looks like Fox news was there. Did anyone see any other news coverage there?

U.S. Fishermen Demand Changes to Federal Fishing Limits

WASHINGTON -- Fishermen and charter boat captains from Maine to Louisiana rallied outside the Capitol Wednesday to demand changes to federal fishing limits they say are putting them out of business.
Participants in the "United We Fish" rally want to loosen federal catch restrictions imposed to protect vulnerable fish stocks.

Bryan Lowery, who fishes for scallops near Ocean City, Md., said the rules are particularly frustrating now because scallops are so plentiful. Yet instead of his usual 100 fishing trips, Lowery said he expects to take just nine this year.

"They've just put us out of business," Lowery said, referring to the National Marine Fisheries Service, which enforces the fisheries law.

Similar complaints came from cod fishermen from off the Massachusetts coast and those who fish for red snapper in the Carolinas. In Gloucester, Mass., "you can walk on the cod," said Mayor Carolyn Kirk, one of the speakers at the lunchtime rally, which drew at least 2,000 people.

"This is all about families. This is all about jobs. This is all about all of us trying to survive," said Bob Zales of Panama City, Fla., a rally organizer.
Jim Hutchinson Jr. of the Recreational Fishing Alliance said the law sets unrealistic recovery goals based on flawed science, then imposes harsh cuts on fishermen when those goals aren't met.

A federal official defended the law, saying it imposes science-based, annual catch limits to protect vulnerable fish.

"Ending overfishing is the first step to allowing a fish stock population to rebuild to a level where the stock can be fished sustainably for the long term," said Eric Schwaab, assistant administrator for fisheries at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
In practice, that means closing or curtailing any fishery where the science dictates that long-term supplies could be depleted, Schwaab said.

Schwaab said he recognizes the short-term economic hardship, but he said sacrifices made now by commercial and recreational fishers should result in significant long-term benefits to fishing communities and ocean ecosystems.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said federal bureaucrats need to recognize the impact of their decisions on working families.
"We need to start caring as much about our fishermen as our fish," said Schumer, who said he has been a fishing enthusiast since his uncle took him fishing for blues and porgies in Sheepshead Bay.

Schumer and Rep. Frank Pallone, D-N.J., have introduced bills to relax a provision in the law setting a strict 10-year goal of replenishing fish stocks.
Environmental groups support catch limits but say the government should allow anglers greater flexibility.

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Capt John Canning Fla, 3 generations of fishermen

stripermania
02-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Address the crisis

Fishing industry leaders petition administration to fix mismanagement

WASHINGTON — Concurrent with the Feb. 24 United We Fish rally, a coalition of fishing industry leaders called on the Obama administration to address "a crisis within the federal fisheries management system."
They elected not to join commercial and recreational anglers on the Capitol steps to protest the closure of fisheries prompted by the reauthorized Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act. But they voiced their support for management relief in a letter to Jane Lubchenco, administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

"There is a great deal of frustration among recreational anglers, much of it attributable to an agency that doesn't have the data, the science, or the will to properly manage us," said Pay Murray of the Coastal Conservation Association (CCA), a member of the coalition. "Recreational anglers have always been willing to do what is right to maintain healthy marine resources, but it is hard to have faith in many of the management measures we are seeing out of NMFS (National Marine Fisheries Service) right now. There is a better path than the one they are on now."

Along with CCA, five other organizations sent the three-page letter to NOAA, parent agency for management of ocean fisheries: American Sportfishing Association (ASA), The Billfish Foundation, The Center for Coastal Conservation, International Game Fish Association, and National Marine Manufacturers Association.
"Following decades of inadequate data collection, stock monitoring, and assessment, we believe that the recent closure of the South Atlantic red snapper fishery and the proposed closure of more than 12,000 square miles to all fishing from 98 feet to 300 feet, is the tipping point of what we view as a fisheries management 'train wreck' that calls for immediate administrative and fiscal action," they said.

"At stake are more than 500,000 jobs that depend on recreational saltwater fishing and $250 million a year in excise tax and fishing license revenue, which provide substantial funding for coastal states' fisheries management programs and an outdoor recreational activity supported by 94 percent of the American public."

While RFA and other rally groups lobby for relief through legislation in the form of a "flexibility bill" that will allow for loosening of mandates, the coalition calls upon NOAA to take correction administrative action. Among its recommendations:

• Take decisive, immediate action to improve recreational fisheries data by redirecting existing funds and personnel to focus on real-time management data.

• Collect socio-economic data on recreational fishing in the communities most likely to be impacted by near term or expected fisheries closures.

• Provide federal level direction to the fishery management councils to use common-sense in their management approaches, while the administration collects the requisite data to make sound management decisions.

• Develop a recreational fishing program and staff within NMFS commensurate with the national economic contribution of recreational saltwater fishing.

• Create a multi-pronged program to promote and implement angler catch-and-release techniques that will reduce release mortality; improve fisheries conservation; and expand and improve ethical fishing practices.

• Develop a program within NMFS to assist in the restoration and enhancement of a fishery and its habitat, using techniques such as artificial reefs, hatchery operations, and other proven programs.
• Expand the required economic impact analysis of fishery management measures to include impacts on all associated industries, such as tackle shops, manufacturers, marinas, restaurants, and other affected businesses, and require fishery management councils to adjust management measures to mitigate for these impacts.
"We support healthy fisheries and good fishery management," concluded Mike Nussman of ASA. "It's good for anglers, our business, and our economy.

"We've developed common-sense administrative and appropriations proposals that address the need for timely, accurate data while preserving efforts to rebuild our marine fisheries. We see these as a starting point for actions that must be implemented to address the short- and long-term problems.
"Unfortunately, what we are seeing now is crisis management rather than fisheries management and this must stop before more jobs are lost and more of the nation's recreational anglers are unnecessarily shut out."

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Herb Sheeds Atlantic beach, NC

Anthony Mykelich, Glassboro, NJ

Dan, MD

Paul, MD

Lee and Autumn, NC

Jimmy Knowles, Fla

Pebbles
02-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Duskydaze also attended the march. I asked him his perspective on the March and below is his reply which I copied this from another one of his posts here.

"Sure, let me start by saying I have been involved in fisheries management issues since 1980. I started with bluefin tuna issues and now attend and participate in as many meetings as I can. And I can honestly say that I never expected a day like yesterday. My guess is that there were between 3000 to 4000 fishermen. The amazing part was that there were commercial fishermen standing with recreational fishermen standing with industry people (both commercial and recreational), all with individual concerns yet all with a common goal; stop the bleeding and fix the Magnuson Stevens Act. It was encouraging to see and hear from about 20 Senators and Congressmen. However, as a voting citizen from New Jersey I felt embarrassed by my own state's political presence. Congressman Pallone wrote the bill and besides him our only other state supporters are Congressman Lobiondo and Congressman Adler.These three are always there for us. Worse yet neither of our Senators support Senator Schumer's bill. Enough negativity, it was a great day and a new beginning. There is much work to be done. Everyone should contact their Senators and Congressmen and make sure they sign on to the 2 bills. Also, call your friends and relatives and ask them to do the same. Let's keep the momentum going strong. We can and will make a difference!"

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

DarkSkies
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM
James Reeves Ft Pierce, Fla

Capt Mike D Dauphin Island Ala

Paul Godabout Charleston, SC
Check out the red snapper and grouper tats this guy has on his legs. :wow:
In the video you will hear Paul say that he has applied for a spot on the SAMFC 6 times, and been rejected. His reason why is because he doesn't think like they do. That's one of the things I've been trying to raise awareness about. The Marine fisheries committees used to have somewhat of a balance, with scientists presenting the data, and real fishermen, both recs and comms, who would give their opinions. The recs and comms on the boards were supposed to be part of a system of checks and balances. What fishermen were seeing out there in the oceans was supposed to be taken into account in case some of the data was off.
Eliminating these fishermen, and replacing them with political appointees (favoritism appointments) takes this "reality" perspective away from that part of the process.

Alan3200 New Port Ritchie, Fla
Also known on youtube as Alan3200

John Freeman NC

George Wagner Chesapeake Bay MD
"Don't tread on me!"

Pebbles
02-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm looking at the videos for the first time. Nice reporting job Rich.

There are all different kinds of reasons why they attended the march. I love to see the passion they express for what they believe in. Whether or not we agree with each other it is good to see that we all can come together for one cause.

DarkSkies
02-26-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm looking at the videos for the first time. Nice reporting job Rich.

There are all different kinds of reasons why they attended the march. I love to see the passion they express for what they believe in. Whether or not we agree with each other it is good to see that we all can come together for one cause.

I'm glad you saw that, Pebbles. There are guys out there who hate commercial fishing so much they won't get at involved at all if comms are involved. As many know, I have blasted some of the practices of comms. I'll continue to blast some of these practices in the future. But this thread isn't the place to talk about that.

There are a bunch of anglers who are intelligent enough to try to get beyond that and realize that we're in big trouble when the NOAA and NMFS can make statements like:
"Well if they can't fish they can always take up golf"

To me, that's so dismissive of an activity many of us are extremely passionate about. I don't understand how they can be so arrogant in deciding what we should and shouldn't be fishing for when many of their decisions in the past have been flawed.

If people knew how much real power rests at the grasp of one person in charge of the NOAA, Dr Lubchenko, they might compare her to Hitler. Those who don't know, don't care. In reality, Dr Lubchenko could shut down any fishery she wants tomorrow, without any input or feedback or involvement from fishermen.

That includes striped bass, and hence the reason for my involvement. I hope these marches and some of the threads we have here can help to raise awareness of the potential.

We have rights as fishermen, and I'm not willing to give those rights away without a fight. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Capt Dewey Hemilright Wanchese, NC

David Shields Wanchese, NC

Capt Paul Forstner Viking Star ships Montauk, LI

Ty Bertrand Ontario fish buyer

DarkSkies
02-26-2010, 05:54 PM
On another board there was a member who was wondering about the effectiveness of this, if we could really make a difference or if it was a waste of time. Here's my response:

[....I remember reading a few of your posts. Behind them it seems to me that you do care, that's why you're speaking your opinion. :thumbsup:

I see your point, and I too feel there wasn't enough people there based on all the rec anglers who fish the coastal waters.

However, maybe you would consider what would happen if people didn't participate? This WAS a step in the right direction to get the politicians' attention, to show them that "we fish, we vote", and that they stand a danger of losing support of a lot of voting fishermen if they won't get involved and help us all.

So, with all due respect, this was the right thing to do. It was the first step in a long process to get fishermen involved, and lined up to be counted. I have to give you folks on the barn credit for handling the issue of comms vs recs well. There are other fishing sites where there was, and is, so much naysaying because commercial fishermen were there too. This negativity may have discouraged some folks from participating, and that's a shame.

This was one small step on a very long road to stand up for fishermens' rights.

For those who can't do stuff like that and still would like to be involved, please consider a small financial contribution to the fishing PAC you feel represents you the best. Whether it is the RFA, SSFFF. or some other group, I think a lot of fishermen realize that although Wednesday was a start, we as fishermen can't do it alone.

We need these PACs to represent our interests and lobby the key politicians to raise awareness and make real progress in terms of getting fishing regulations modified.

A very well known saying is: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I think that's a good thing to keep in mind here.

Thanks to all who did participate.]

DarkSkies
02-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Lawrence Murphy OC, MD

Brian Lowery OC, MD
Brian had some interesting things to say about catch shares

Capt Dave OC, MD

Capt David Tedford OC, MD

bababooey
02-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey great job Dark, and all the people who went.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I found a video on utube, pretty cool.
304duwvKUqg

part2
1ZzuynYhV-E

hookedonbass
02-26-2010, 08:13 PM
I found some too, great job on the reporting Darkskies, let's keep this thing going!!:wow::thumbsup:

Press of Atlantic city
QdXIiZxqqWI

XKhTCX5HIwc

_1gSmljLaHE

DarkSkies
02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
For those of you who were wondering if this would make a difference or not, here's some info from Capt Tony Bogan:

"4 new House sponsors were added from the day before and the day of the Rally in DC.

The list of current cosponsors of HR 1584 can BE FOUND HERE (http://ssfff.net/hr1584.html)

The list of current cosponsors of s.1255 can BE FOUND HERE (http://ssfff.net/s1255.html)

Note: There were several commitments by senators to support s1255, so we will have to wait till after the weekend to see who else signed on."

DarkSkies
02-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Arnold Leo, East Hampton, LI

Sean O'Neill, LI

DarkSkies
02-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Brian Loftes Pt Judith. RI

I don't know much about Brian, except he was angry enough to produce a video about how fisheries management has restricted fishing, and some interesting rebuttals. He came down with a big group of fishermen from Pt Judith. Check it out:

"Nothing gets done unless you act, and you can't rely on other guys to do it for ya!" :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-27-2010, 10:12 AM
The Grim Reaper was one of the Washington Rally favorites. He doesn't seem to like the NMFS or Pat Kurkul too much, I wonder why? ;)

NoMoreFishingService

(I wish I had the foresight to bring WestWind Wally along. West Wind Wally and the grim reaper... http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif I think we could have made video history. :laugh: )
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5418&highlight=west+wind+wally

I present to you the Grim Reaper from Pt Judith, RI

crosseyedbass
02-27-2010, 10:23 AM
I couldn't make it there. Thanks to all who went. Thanks for the reporting and the updates, dark, finchaser, and others. I joined the RFA, here is their release.

February 25, 2010

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/63.gifRecreational Fishing Alliance Contact: Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732
For Immediate Release February 25, 2010

THOUSANDS RALLY IN DC FOR THEIR "RIGHT TO FISH"
Leading House Members Join Fishermen At US Capitol

February 25, 2010 - Over 20 federal lawmakers joined several thousand fishermen from around the country next to the US Capitol yesterday in a three-hour rally supporting national fisheries reform. The first reports from journalists on the scene tabbed attendance at between 3,000 and 5,000 with fishermen standing elbow-to-elbow in Washington DC. The rally was historic in that it was the first time that members of both the recreational and commercial sector found common ground in a cause for reform. "An incredible success," said Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) and one of the key organizers of the historic rally.
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/93.jpgThe rally drew a fairly equal mix of recreational and commercial fishermen from as far as away as Alaska and California in united opposition to the strict federal fishing requirements contained in the Magnuson-Stevens Act (MSA). The nation's primary fishing law helped fishermen when it was enacted in 1976 by eliminating foreign fishing, but during reauthorizations in 1996 and 2006 new language has mandated rebuilding fish populations under arbitrary timetables resulting in the closure of many healthy and rebuilt fisheries.

Carrying signs and banners with the message I Fish, I Vote and Reform Magnuson Now, most participants came by chartered bus from points up and down the down coast which let off at nearby Union Station. The RFA estimates that were about 40 chartered buses, some arriving as early as Tuesday afternoon, and a few were hounded by weather-related traffic problems in New York and New Jersey depositing attendees on the scene nearly an hour into the rally. "We have close to 4,000 fishermen. This was better and bigger than we ever thought," Donofrio said.

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/94.jpgThose who arrived after the noon start missed an impassioned opening speech by Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY), lead sponsor of Senate Bill 1255, the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act. "Shame on the Magnuson-Stevens Act," Schumer said MSA as currently written denies fishermen access to healthy and rebuilding stocks due to arbitrary, 'time-specific' deadlines. "We need flexibility to be able to thrive," Schumer promised the crowd, while charging federal bureaucrats with failure to recognize the impact of their decisions on working families. "We need to start caring about our fishermen as much as our fish.

The bipartisan unity that could be seen in the crowd between commercial and recreational fishermen was well-reflected on stage, as one by one democrats and republicans took to the microphone in support of their coastal constituents. Sen. George LeMieux (R-FL) encouraged fishermen to visit their legislators, telling them "we've got to change this law." LeMieux said the federal fisheries law was "keeping you out of work, it's keeping the tackle shop out of work, it's keeping the hotel out of work, it's keeping the restaurants out of work."

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/95.jpgRep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ), a longtime champion of coastal issues with a proven track record in protecting the ocean environment has been a champion of the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act legislation in the House (HR 1584), and praised the fishermen for coming to DC with their concerns. "There is nothing more important than grass roots," Pallone told demonstrators. "The science is broken and what they are doing is wrong," Pallone said of how catch limits are determined. "We need flexibility ... that's the only way we're going to make some changes around here."

"You can't brush aside basic science," said Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), co-sponsor of the Schumer Bill. "When did flexibility become an ugly word," said Rep. Adam Putnam (R-FL), adding "we're not going to stand for it. We'll be there and we'll get it done." "This is about our right to fish. The bureaucrats have to get their heads out of wherever it is they are," said Rep. Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ) to cheers from the crowd.

On a day when legislators were busy with hearings on the banking industry and the Toyota recall, Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) found time to address his fishing constituents and said he wished the banking regulators treated the financial industry "as harshly" as fishery regulators have treated the fishing industry.

Many legislators spoke about U.S. regulations resulting in more than 80 percent of the fish Americans eat being imported from countries like China and Russia, which Rep. Walter Jones of North Carolina said "If you're gone, the Chinese own the fish market in North America. We can't let that happen."

"We're going to work it hard. That's 10,000 miles of fish beds closed; it will put hundreds of commercial fishermen out of a job. I'm hoping these guys (the anglers) can at least get members of Congress to take a look at another option," said Rep. Henry Brown (R-SC).

"Our fishing communities have taken a hit, which is why it is so heartening that so many have still taken the time and resources to come march on Washington in support of their industry," said Rep. John Tierney (D-MA), sentiments shared by fellow coastal congressmen like Rep. John Adler (D-NJ), Rep. Mike McIntyre (D-NC), Rep. Tim Bishop (D-NY), Rep. Bill Posey (R-FL) and Rep. John Mica (R-FL), all members of Congress who spoke on stage yesterday.

In a passionate speech directed at Gloucester fishermen, state Senator Bruce Tarr (R-MA) said he supported changes he called the salvation of fishermen in New England, flexibility modification which would allow more reasonable rebuilding timelines while still achieving conservation goals and sustained fishing communities." "We don't have a minute to spare we're losing commercial fishing boats, we're losing the ability to fish recreational, this makes all the sense in the world, it's not an unreasonable measure," Tarr said.

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/96.jpgTogether with fellow state Rep. Ann-Margaret Ferrante (D-MA), the Massachusetts delegation stole the show by returning to the park at 2:30 Wednesday with Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) the newest member of the Senate. Brown, Tarr and Ferrante led Massachusetts fishermen off to a meeting in the Senate, while North Carolina Senators Richard Burr (R-NC) and Kay Hagan (D-NC) took their constituents off to gain more support for Flexibility.

HR 1584 picked up three additional co-sponsors this week due in large part to the February 24th rally (29 total co-sponsors), while S 1255 gained another three supporters (for a total of 5). The lobbying effort in DC by RFA staffers in support of these vitally important coastal bills will continue.
If you have photos to share from the fishermen's rally in Washington DC on February 24th, be sure to visit the RFA Facebook page (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103099125171&s=10015&e=001avAFr9QHHuGhoIwa4sCaEvpJ3fLiDf8Ltc1Bd1XnbTlvV cw3bsMneEwym7ucsRWb7D3eCJcoSRDgquRthlO_ywoEslkb4zl pfzLVauPOvTPhIlVPJIqaSU-D8WrAn9cXiQTZFtFfpT97dlt4u_A57LNYFjSSb5u6IWoI9QU4l kk=)and connect with RFA members nationwide.

About Recreational Fishing Alliance

The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103099125171&s=10015&e=001avAFr9QHHuEiKUY0JTjgsC6ED41G2GeXQmre2k6yJ-ioMH5EtLmqyaDgiBBwmI1er7Yf2iYVxF5eydwfQOSNBdkYrY_C 0nWVHDFJhWUwm0HLaG_3BuQIJA==).

DarkSkies
02-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Capt John from Unreel Sportfishing, Cape May, NJ

DarkSkies
02-27-2010, 10:50 AM
The RFA even has reps in Texas. I interviewed Jim Smarr, RFA Texas rep. After our interview, he let me know of some interesting developments in that area. I don't want to take away from the RFA credit on this, so for now I'll just say for the guys in that area, stay tuned to the RFA for some good news to be announced very soon. :clapping: You should be happy to hear it. :thumbsup:

RFA rep Jim Smarr, Texas

Capt Mike Nugent, Texas
He came all the way from Texas to voice his opinion.

dogfish
02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
:clapping::clapping: Dark, great job on bringing these interviews to the public. I felt as though I were there. One suggestion, ya might want to cut down on the coffee, it sounds like you drank a thermos of java that day. :bigeyes: :ROFLMAO

rip316
02-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Yes. Thanks to those who made it to DC and spoke for us all. Thanks to Dark for reporting to us all the information. I hope some good will come out of this March. Don't they realize they are hurting so many people. The lives they are affecting.

nitestrikes
02-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the coverage, and many thanks to all who went there. It must not have been easy to rally next to commercial guys. I give you folks a lot of credit for the maturity and not bashing each others' heads in. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

porgy75
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
The Grim Reaper was one of the Washington Rally favorites. He doesn't seem to like the NMFS or Pat Kurkul too much, I wonder why? ;)

NoMoreFishingService

(I wish I had the foresight to bring WestWind Wally along. West Wind Wally and the grim reaper... http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif I think we could have made video history. :laugh: )
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5418&highlight=west+wind+wally

I present to you the Grim Reaper from Pt Judith, RI

Ha ha I love this guy!:clapping::clapping:

captnemo
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Great work guys. I'll push some of the legislators to support those bills as Bogan suggested. Thanks for making the sacrifices.

stripercrazy
02-28-2010, 08:50 AM
:clapping::clapping::clapping: Thanks for representing us!

surferman
02-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Nick Honachefsky wrote an article on it,

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201002260405/SPORTS11/2260349
South Jersey Outdoors

By Nick Honachefsky • February 26, 2010

Next Page

Previous Page

Hope has been instilled in fishermen across the United States. This past Wednesday, over 3,500 recreational and commercial fishermen stood side by side front of the Capitol building in Washington D.C. All were united in one mission -- to rally for flexibility in the Magnuson-Stevens Act, which would greatly affect fishing regulations by preventing the shutting down of fisheries and drastically reducing economy-killing fishing regulations based on flawed scientific data.

I don't have to tell you how bad regulations are getting -- look at the bag and size limits for our black sea bass, fluke and blackfish seasons -- nearly ridiculous regulations for sure. Most anglers that put in their time on the water will tell you that these fish stocks are not in the sort of trouble that warrants such regs, but an arbitrary plan based on a 10-year goal mandated by the Magnuson-Stevens Act means lawmakers have to set regulations based on scientific data that in the own words of the NOAA agency that sets them is -- "fatally flawed". This rally in D.C. was to appeal to our congressmen to allow for flexibility in the act, which would set goals for more accurate scientific study, extend the 10-year period, and to eliminate knee-jerk impositions of "shut-down" regulations that effectively snuff out fishing economies that depend on fair regulations to sustain their businesses.
And it was a grand rally. Among those 3,500 were anglers from Maine to Florida and even from California and Alaska. Keynote speakers included Rep. Scott Brown (Mass.), Rep. Barney Franks (Mass.), and New Jersey's own Rep. Frank Pallone, who has been the torch bearer and initiator of the bill HR 1584, "Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act".
"The current regulations have done a lot of harm and the way they've been implemented by regulators is overly restrictive and unfair," said Pallone. "Fishermen have the same rights as all Americans to access our country's natural resources. We will work so that our children can continue to enjoy fishing as a pastime and our fishermen may continue to hold these jobs that have served our communities so well."

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I didn't get many of the speakers because I figured people would already be filming that. That's why I concentrated on the individual interviews. I wanted to try to show the perspectives from all sides.

I'm not finished posting those mini-interviews yet. In addition to the ones I did on the previous 2 pages, posts 35-64 here, I still have about a dozen more to post up after I post these from the rally. For today, I'll just concentrate on posting up these, taken in a gonzo video style. They're not perfect or edited, but I tried to keep the clips short so as not to lose the viewer's attention. :d

As with all the vimeo clips I post up, if your computer is older or slower... then turn off the "HD is on" switch by clicking the icon that initially appears on the right side of the video frame when it's loading. That should make it a lot easier to view. For those who do have faster computers, the full screen (switch is on bottom toolbar to the right) is amazing to watch these videos in.

Vimeo tips:
For anyone who has a higher powered PC with decent memory, you can click on the icon NEXT to the "Vimeo" tag at the bottom right hand corner of the video (the 4 arrows icon), and it will play full-screen. There is also a "HD on" icon you can hit which will play the video in full HD. Again, don't try this unless you have a faster computer or the video will bog down and seem choppy.

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 08:26 AM
These were a few speakers who I got a chance to film. I thought some of the things they said were compelling.

Ray Bogan:
He's an attorney, so you would expect he's a good public speaker. He does that for a living. I first met Ray at one of the SSFFF meetings. I was impressed with not only his speaking abilities, but his understated style of getting his point across. He seems quieter than his brother Tony, yet he still gets the message across, with just the right amount of anecdotes to hold the viewer's attention.

He has become a very effective communicator for explaining why the science and data is flawed. :thumbsup:
Ray talks about how and why he got involved in fisheries management issues. And he's humble, too... "I'd say every one of you is the same way...there's nothing any one of you couldn't answer with regard to how the ecosystem works" :thumbsup:

In the clip below, you can see Crazy Alberto as the official show photographer, to the right of the stage (keft side if you were in the audience)
Ray Bogan: "NMFS's economic impact impact statements are a lie, Catch shares are wrong...Don't retaliate against fishermen dissenters on the management council by throwing them off..To NMFS, give us some help, help us reform inequities in legislation" :clapping::clapping:

Ray Bogan credits Sloan Rapaport and others

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Capt Mark Brown introduces Congressman Henry Brown from SC, speaking about Bill 4634.

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Capt Terry Wallace from Montauk, LI and his family were one of the highlights of the day. He brought his wife and children to the rally to show support. His youngest son is to the right of him holding the "Future fisherman???" sign. I think his name is "TJ", he's about 5. I have other interviews of them to be posted later in this thread.

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Sen Scott Brown from MA.
Sen Scott Brown won the recent Senate victory in MA, upsetting many as voters crossed party lines because they were fed up with the same old, same old, "political soup" being fed to them before every election. Sen Brown is on board with fishermens' rights.

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Rhonda Baker from CA:
CA and Alaska fishing, halibut and crab rights, with an emotional plea for help from legislators.

Bonnie Brody fish by the numbers:

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Capt Tony Bogan from NJ.
"Capt TB" on many fishing sites...with his booming voice, there's no mistaking Capt Tony for anyone else. I first met Capt Tony at a SSFFF meeting. He was one of the key figures behind organizing this march. He, along with a dedicated group of other volunteers, helped to keep the interest alive and the message out there to people who didn't know.

I also find him to be a very effective (though loud) ;) :HappyWave: communicator. He spent years in the trenches as a fisherman. Although he doesn't do that now, he's got decades of on the water experience with many species.

I Fish I Vote!!!! Crowd chants

End of rally, Pledge of Allegiance...

rip316
03-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Rich you sure did a lot filming. You should get an award or something. How do you find the time? God bless you man.

finchaser
03-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Excellent Column on the DC Rally (by Nils Stolpe)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD (http://www.fishnet-usa.com/Rally_2010.pdf)

voyager35
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
This is one of the most colorful and in-depth rally report threads I have read on any of the fishing sites. I like the fact that you interviewed both recreational and commercial fishermen. It seems fair and balanced. Fantastic reporting job, DS.:clapping:

rockhopper
03-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Darkskies you da man! Thanks guys for going there, let's not forget to keep this up!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

strikezone31
03-02-2010, 07:49 PM
What was the ratio from commercials to recreationals? It is amazing that both can come together and there be no fights or arrests made.

I wonder if the voices have been heard.

DarkSkies
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Rich you sure did a lot filming. You should get an award or something. How do you find the time? God bless you man.
Rip, I would be embarassed if I had to calculate all the time I spent on this. I knew going in that it would be a historically significant meeting. (It's kind of like we don't want to calculate how much we spent on our fishing gear. :D)

This is one of the most colorful and in-depth rally report threads I have read on any of the fishing sites. I like the fact that you interviewed both recreational and commercial fishermen. It seems fair and balanced. Fantastic reporting job, DS.:clapping:
Thanks, Voyager. Although I have my biases, I tried my best to fairly present both sides.

Darkskies you da man! Thanks guys for going there, let's not forget to keep this up!:clapping::clapping::clapping:
You guys can also keep this up by contacting your reps and joining PAC groups like the RFA, among other groups.

What was the ratio from commercials to recreationals? It is amazing that both can come together and there be no fights or arrests made.
I wonder if the voices have been heard.

The ratio was at least 60/40 of Comms to Recs based on the approx 500 people I talked to and what I saw down there.

DarkSkies
03-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Some more interviews...

Lindsay Fuller, Beach Haven, NJ

Laura Smith, Montauk

jonthepain
03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
amazing job.

glad i don't have your coffee bill

fishinmission78
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
The APP covered it.
DS good job on the coverage.:thumbsup:

March hooks lawmakers' attention

By JOHN OSWALD • STAFF WRITER • February 26, 2010

Previous Page

An estimated 4,000 recreational and commercial fishermen descended on Washington, D.C. on Wednesday to let congress know there are big problems with fishery management, specifically the Magnuson-Stevens Act, and they need to be fixed. By all accounts, the message got across.

"The United We Fish rally showed what can you do when you're unified, what you can do when you get together and say, "I'm going going to D.C and make this work.' " said Jim Hutchinson, managing director of the Recreational Fishing Alliance, one of the lead organizers for the rally.
"It was grass roots, it was all the local shops, local captains, commercial guys and individual anglers. It was just great the way the democratic process unfolded," he said. "It was really something extraordinary."
The equal mix of recreational and commercial fisherman from all across the country were joined by more than 20 federal lawmakers. Regardless of their affiliation, all were there united in opposition to the onerous regulations contained in the Magnuson-Stevens Act.
"There's was not a single person at the rally — from the occasional recreational guy, to the commercial fisherman or the tackle shop owner — who hasn't been adversely affected by the same thing. They all had some kind of gripe with some regulation. Everybody has a common goal, no matter who you spoke to," said Captain Tony Bogan of the United Boatmen, another rally organizer.
"In my mind, the focus of the rally was to bring attention to our legislators that we exist and that we have problems that could be easily be solved. I think we accomplished that and we accomplished that in spades and we did it because of the fact that we were able got everyone together for the first time on that kind of scale," Bogan said.
One immediate result of the rally, Bogan said, was that the number of senate sponsors for S-1225, the Senate version of the Flexibility in American Fisheries Act virtually doubled right there and then. Senators Richard Burr and Kay Hagan of North Carolina voiced support of the bill as a result of the rally, joining Senators Shumer and Gillibrand of New York, sponsor and co-sponsor of the bill, and Sen. George LeMieux of Florida.

http://www.app.com/article/20100226/SPORTS06/2260324/1017/March-hooks-lawmakers-attention

DarkSkies
03-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Some more

Mike from Grumpy's Bait & tackle Seaside Park, NJ
"If everyone looked at this reasonably, there would be enough fish for us all. If you don't want to fight for your fish, don't bother fishing."

DarkSkies
03-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Capt Terrence Wallace and family Montauk, LI

Capt Wallace is one of the guys who Ray Bogan put up on stage. His son, TJ, had the sign "Future fisherman???" and was holding it. TJ is about 5 years old. The crowd went wild when they got up there.

Rich Filochek Raritan Bay Anglers, NJ

jigfreak
03-05-2010, 07:59 PM
on WFN, pretty cool

http://www.wfn.tv/news/video.php?video=402773

DarkSkies
03-06-2010, 08:06 AM
some more (for those just checking in to this thread, there are about 40 short interviews on the previous 5 pages, beginning on page 5)

Capt Bob Klettner, Point Lookout and Freeport, LI
"These regulations are killing us."

Joe Mongelli, PA
"People should be interested because there won't be any more fish on the table for them to eat"

DarkSkies
03-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Capt Mike Scardigno, Mi Jo, Atlantic Highlands, NJ
"People are not coming on the boats anymore and it's gonna destoy us as an industry."

DarkSkies
03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
amazing job.

:laugh: :clapping:
Thanks, Jon. :HappyWave: A long time ago I should have had the foresight to buy stock in the company that makes Chock full o'nuts. I could have retired by now. ;)

DarkSkies
03-07-2010, 01:20 AM
More interviews...

Interview with Capt Al Ristori

DarkSkies
03-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Ralph DeAngelo, Reading, PA

DarkSkies
03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Sent in by Finchaser, thanks!

Perspective of someone who attended the rally:

"I was online waiting to get in to go to the bathroom, going to through a security check point and this nice lady politely asks me What are you fishing guys doing here with the rally/signs/protest. I politely start to explain to her our cause (changing of MSA and the sea bass closure..) Who? What? Were? When? How? and Why? to the best of my knowledge and ability. When I was done the first words out of her mouth were Aren't the fish over fished and there are not many left? -

-BINGO- that is why I was there I politely explained to her that this is the misconception that we are trying to change and we want common sense and why our own government would put hard working people out of work in these very difficult and harsh economic times when stocks are rebuilt and there are plenty of fish. By the way this was a very polite conversation with no yelling and screaming with some random lady on-line waiting to get into the building. When we were done we parted ways saying good-bye and she said good luck.

If we do nothing we have nobody to blame but ourselves. These groups with multi million dollar funds are making sure they get there agenda and what they want across. This is what is killing the fishing Industry, Misconception.

As fisherman we have the stigma of killing everything and don't care which couldn't be the furthest thing from the truth.The Big bad haters are getting there word, and lies out and people are buying it.

These anti-fishing entities making sure they are doing whatever they can to stop us from fishing. Please stand up for your right to fish. I did and I ask, beg, implore to write your politicians and everyone who will listen, whether you went to the rally or not. If we don't we might not be able to fish whether for recreation or for a living and no-matter how many fish are in the ocean rebuilt or not.

Lets make the difference, Please"

- "I FISH I VOTE "

DarkSkies
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
more interviews:

Capt Andrew, Brooklyn6, SB, NY

Sea Horse, Atl Highlands, NJ
Capts Ed Bunting, Al Terese, & Tom Vogel

DarkSkies
03-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Anthony from Pa

DarkSkies
03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Capt Jim Turrell
Legal Limit Charters, LEH, NJ

DarkSkies
03-11-2010, 09:36 AM
some more

Greg Oshefski, Forked River, NJ

DarkSkies
03-11-2010, 09:39 AM
more

Sarah Broadlow, Montauk LI

Sarah is a marine biology student and had some interesting things to say about the myth that the dogfish are endangered.

DarkSkies
03-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Austin Perelli, Brooklyn, NY

DarkSkies
03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Grim reaper, Pt Judith, RI

The grim reaper was a rally favorite. :thumbsup:

dogfish
03-11-2010, 12:16 PM
amazing job.

What he said.
Dark have ya ever considered changing your name from darkskies to dark78rpm? :moon: :laugh:
Ya still did a good job but yer a tad too hyper.:thumbsup:

voyager35
03-12-2010, 03:31 PM
more

Sarah Broadlow, Montauk LI

Sarah is a marine biology student and had some interesting things to say about the myth that the dogfish are endangered.

Dogfish are eating all the juvenile fish. Hello is anyone listening at the NMFS? :huh:

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 10:04 AM
What he said.
Dark have ya ever considered changing your name from darkskies to dark78rpm? :moon: :laugh:
Ya still did a good job but yer a tad too hyper.:thumbsup:

Hey I yam what I yam, bro. ;)
Glad ya liked it.

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Dogfish are eating all the juvenile fish. Hello is anyone listening at the NMFS? :huh:

Voyager, if you talk to the guys who fish offshore every day, you won't find one who will tell you the dogfish are endangered. Now we have people like Sara Broadlow, studying marine biology while also fishing for a living, telling us what many already know.

I don't want to see any species endangered, but taking fishermen off the marine fisheries councils was a bad choice. By doing that the scientists don't get to hear of the real-life experiences of Sara and others that see how dogfish have exploded because they have no natural predators as they get bigger.

Mike Laptew, world famous underwater videographer, also did a video shoot off Block Island where he shows the bottom in inundated with dogfish.

"Let's just hope that fisheries management can control a recent surge in their numbers." - Mike Laptew
mdf9pNvYXQA

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 10:16 AM
This is a series of ending interviews I did with people leaving the rally. This one is of Ray Bogan with his sons.

From going to the SSFFF meetings and seeing Ray speak, I have come to realize he is a very effective communicator for fishermen.

"If you support the idea of having access to Marine resources on a reasonable basis, ... then you should be involved."

DarkSkies
03-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Ending interview Al and Don Marantz, JCAA

stripercrazy
03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
:clapping: Fantastic job Dark. You seem to have an endless supply of interviews. How many did you take?

basshunter
03-17-2010, 08:44 AM
He's into camera's and video's like he's into swans.:d

DarkSkies
03-19-2010, 12:39 PM
:clapping: Fantastic job Dark. You seem to have an endless supply of interviews. How many did you take?
I still have a few more...;)

He's into camera's and video's like he's into swans.:d

Thanks so much for your interest. I guess I'll never get away from that now. :don't know why: FYI I'll be putting up a story of eagles feeding later on today, stay tuned...:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Met up with famous fisherman, photographer, and hardcore surf guy "Crazy Alberto" Knie after the rally, It seems he was one of the official photographers of the rally. He also runs a fishing website called:
www.fishingunited.com (http://www.fishingunited.com)

Alberto is something of an activist for fishermens' rights as well. He showed up at the Brookhaven LI town meetings when fishermen were fighting for their access rights there after the town closed Shoreham beach to fishing in 2008.

Nice meeting ya again, Al. :HappyWave:

plugginpete
03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
"You need to get involved, we need everybody, without you we can't make things happen."

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: for Crazy Al and everyone else who went down there!

DarkSkies
03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Capt Tony's loud booming voice is instantly recognizable once you've heard it. He was one of principal organizers of the rally and is involved in the SSFFF as well.

Some people have a perception that the only reason he's involved is because of the fishing. Yep, his family does fish, but even that gig isn't paying so well lately as some of the Bogan boats are up for sale. Meanwhile, you can catch Capt Tony giving tours of the Manasquan River area on the Riverboat tours, River Belle and the River Queen.

I have always found Tony Bogan to be an effective and candid communicator about what's going on with fishing. He can cite stats and studies like he's studied for them for years, and he has. Nice to meet ya again Capt TB. :HappyWave:

clamchucker
03-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Captain Tony always gets his point across. Very nice portrayal of these guys.

captnemo
03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Capt Tony's loud booming voice is instantly recognizable once you've heard it.

Yep, it's almost like he doesn't need a mike when he runs those riverboat tours. Good interviews, thanks for posting them.

DarkSkies
03-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Glad ya's liked the videos guys and girls. Last ending interview.

This is the family that stole the show. Capt Terry and his family. They talk about some of the fishing they did last year.

DarkSkies
03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Since the Washington rally just ended, I thought some of ya's would like to see what the first 2010 March was like..even though I drank too much coffee that day, I think the videos I shot show energy, committment, passion, and willingness to work together....:clapping:

Can we ever generate that level of interest again?
Who knows....:don't know why:

surferman
03-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Thank you all.

DarkSkies
03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm re-visiting this thread, to give folks a sense of what it was like back in 2010....and to see how divergent groups with different interests could come together for a common cause.....this seems to have lost it's meaning for some of us....who won't align with other fishermen or groups because the interests are not exactly the same, as the specific ones that seem important to us......

Apathy is the disease....and when the time comes to do something and get involved, the effect is Inaction.......less numbers getting involved....or the attitude that prevails among many out there......
"Let Joe/Pete/Harry/Sam/Bob do it..."I'm too busy"

Then....when the result is not beneficial to some, they complain loudly, while some who could have done something.....did nothing but stand by and watch others.......

I hope the folks who take the time to review this thread will see for themselves it is possible for fishermen of all interests to come together for a common cause.....
Thanks for reading....:HappyWave:

jigfreak
03-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Sure must be apathy. I read that there are a couple hundred thousand guys who saltwater fish on the east coast. 5000 showed up? Thats only a few percent.