PDA

View Full Version : Some stuff from my work bench

Jackbass
12-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Some of you have seen my stuff some have not. i figure i would show some stuff i have done recently.

cowherder
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
:drool: Wow sweet work! How much do they weigh?

vpass
12-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Jackbass, awesome plugs.:thumbsup:

I'm going to try some handcarves after the holidays. I will post them in steps. I got some Maple would stock. I just got to come up with a plan.

surfwalker
12-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Very nice Jackbass. The scaling came out great.

dogfish
12-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Very clean looking plugs.:thumbsup:

Jackbass
12-18-2009, 06:54 AM
:drool: Wow sweet work! How much do they weigh?

I don'treally know some where over 2.5oz. I really don't weigh them. I just toss em into the drink. :don't know why:

Pebbles
12-18-2009, 08:22 AM
They look great. Of course my favorite is the pink one.

rockhopper
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
beautiful work dude, how long you been making plugs?

stripermania
12-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Looks like any bass would love to attack them. Nice work.:thumbsup:

Jackbass
12-23-2009, 07:10 AM
beautiful work dude, how long you been making plugs?

I started building last winter. I made 20 plugs last year total. I made thirty of those already and a dozen peanuts. I will be making more of those and more peanuts and then I will start working on new stuff. It is a lot of fun.

DarkSkies
12-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Jackbass, for someone who just started getting into it, you're doing a great job. :thumbsup:

I'm curious as to the learning curve when you started putting in weights and getting them to swim. Can you tell us a little about that? How does that help the whole process?

Also, weight placement is critical. Do it wrong and the plug never swims right. Who were some of your influences, and how did you learn to do that the right way?

Jackbass
12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Jackbass, for someone who just started getting into it, you're doing a great job. :thumbsup:
Thanks I appreciate the compliment.

I'm curious as to the learning curve when you started putting in weights and getting them to swim. Can you tell us a little about that? How does that help the whole process?When I started building there was definitely a learning curve. If you start with one plug and get that body style down and understand how the weight and lip relate to the action of the body it helps you greatly when you start to venture into other plug designs. The first plugs i made were dannys and I had a ton of help through a tutorial on another site. The guy basically took you through the building process step by step amd that made it much easier to build my own stuff.

Also, weight placement is critical. Do it wrong and the plug never swims right. Who were some of your influences, and how did you learn to do that the right way?I don't know if you ever perfect weighting. I have made some duds that is for sure. You just come up with things you like weight them and test. If a lip doesn't grab, the weight may need to be moved further toward the front of the plug. Driving the nose in more. Much of how plugs swim has to do with where it is through drilled The shape of the head and the lip.

Influences

I have been influenced by guys from my club (Gunny, Rickski) and others from another site I frequent (Roccus, Ed, JImii4290) There are a ton of small builders that build for hobby that do as good if not a better job with lures than many of your commercial builders.

porgy75
12-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Jackbass, I am just learning a lot of this stuff, so please excuse if I sound stupid. They are called metallip swimmers, right? Awesome work!:thumbsup::clapping:

Jackbass
12-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Yes they have all different names for them (danny's, pikies, goo goo eyes, surfsters, so on and so forth) I generally calll anything I do a metal lipped swipper. Then call it something based on the body slope head, peanut, danny etc.

7deadlyplugs
12-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Sweet!:thumbsup:

Brasilva
01-09-2010, 09:49 AM
nice work, good luck, one day I am going to be that good

rockhopper
01-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Great looking plugs keep up the good work.