PDA

View Full Version : Pink Plugs

Monty
12-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Has anyone had any success with pink plugs?
Needles, Metal Lips, Poppers, Slug-gos?
Jackbass has a pick up of some great looking plugs he made (includes a pink one).
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=28159#post28159
I have caught Stripers on pink pencil poppers enough for it to be a plug I fish with confidence.

finchaser
12-19-2009, 11:24 PM
used when bass are feeding on squid not too popular in NJ as we have few inshore squid like RI
I do well on pink zooms and sluggo's in the spring on schoolies

DarkSkies
12-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Pink is the link and I ain't afraid to fish it! :D

I had a great spring on the sedges of Jamaica Bay with the pink Ace Baits saltwater spook. One of my best days in the spring.

I have to be honest, I'm not sure if it was the color, or more dependent on the retrieve. I used my kayak to get out to a sedge area. On the way out there I was trolling my best producing plugs over the channels, the Ace baits peanut profile, and then the pink Ace spook. I couldn't get a touch on either of them and was a little disappointed. (Maybe I shoulda trolled a T&W)

When you throw or troll your "confidence plugs" and get blanked, it sets a bad precedent for the day. :(

However, I kept paddling, and met up with another kayaker on the flats who was into fish. I was throwing some chartreuse shads as schools of spearing got hammered by bass and blues, and got a few. Then around slack tide it died completely.

I went to take a leak on the sedges and just for the hell of it started throwing the pink spook from the land . First few casts with an average "spook" retrieve, nothing. Then, I said what the heck and started an erratic, violent action, stop dead, violent action, stop, and retrieve, repeat again. First cast I was into fish, and every one or 2 casts after that either raised or hooked a fish. Ended up with dozens of blues to 10#, and a few bass to 27 1/2" until the action died. I was on a fisherman's high. :dribble:

So after that, the pink spook became my "go to" plug if things were sluggish in the spring or the summer.

I think something happens when you develop confidence in a certain plug. I think that confidence compels you to try harder. As a result of that, you statistically should catch more, hence coming full circle to have more confidence in that over other presentations.

Anyway, that's the way it works for me. :lookhappy:

DarkSkies
12-19-2009, 11:28 PM
used when bass are feeding on squid not too popular in NJ as we have few inshore squid like RI
I do well on pink zooms and sluggo's in the spring on schoolies

What Fin said. :thumbsup: Also, pink zooms as you said are a great spearing profile, and killer for spring weakies.

gjb1969
12-20-2009, 10:20 AM
i had some cheap pink swim shads i got small bass around bridges with them they work thats all i know :don't know why:

albiealert
12-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Slug-gos?

I use a pink worm or mullet imitation sometimes on a light bucktail, early season, on the flats of the rivers I fish. It seems to work for me. Never any big fish on it though.

surfstix1963
12-25-2009, 07:00 AM
I always carry pink poppers when all else is failing I will give it a shot those bass and weaks just get turned on by that color sometimes and they hit it hard no playing around with it I do find a medium sized sinking popper gets the nod more than a larger one and if the squid are around just plain deadly.