PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Custom fishing plug makers: A History

DarkSkies
12-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Some of the best Custom plugbuilders on the East Coast came from Massachusetts. In this thread you'll get to meet and hear about them, from the smallest to the largest.

Let's hear what you've got. Even if the guy built a few plugs and never really wanted to become commercial, it's still part of fishing history and merits talking about.

So don't feel your entry or post is not significant if the person you're posting about isn't nationally known. Post up and let's see it, anything you want to post regarding Mass. plug builders, from 1900 to present day.

DarkSkies
12-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Please if you use info from a copyrighted source, cite the source. I do reserve the right to edit where I feel it's appropriate.

Articles, pics, comments, all are welcome within the above parameters.

To promote harmony here, there will be no critiquing or bashing of a guy's plugs. :argue: If you don't like them, that's fine, but this is not a review thread. It's an attempt to document a history of plug and lure building in Mass. and I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks guys and girls. :HappyWave:

It's gonna be a long winter, I think this could be an informative thread. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
01-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Background:
Stan Gibbs was an old-time plug maker from Buzzard's Bay, Mass. The business he originally started in the 1940's, having changed hands several times after he first sold it in 1972, is still running today.

He was known for several specialties... among them the Canal Special Pencil Poppers, 3 1/8z pencil poppers designed to give him an edge in the Cape Cod Canal, his plug testing grounds. There was also a 5 1/4z popper designed specifically for Canal use.

He's also responsible for such innovations as the "Cast-A-Lure", Mackerel paint finishes, differently designed bottle poppers and bottle darters, the California special pencil popper, at 5+ oz one of the heaviest pencil poppers at the time.

However, the original pencil popper he improved and personally marketed up and down the Stripercoast was arguably one of his most successful plugs.

Originally, he had friends that made and were using a similar plug, and got their approval to design and market it further. Stan Gibbs pencil poppers gradually gained popularity and respect in the fishing world because they casted farther than anything else you could buy at the time. :wow:

From an original start where young Stan, an avid fisherman, made a few plugs at a time for friends, finished with nail polish as a sealer, he grew a little every year. His first big runs of pencil poppers were around 1946, when his production numbered into the hundreds. He branched out as his different plug lines began to gain popularity.

He started visiting other states as the personal ambassador of his company, to market his plugs.

Fishermen, who had only been used to slinging bucktails, tins, and some very light wooden plugs, raved how these "pencil poppers" could get out further and cast better in strong winds. They began to see that the pencil poppers gave them an edge, and the rest is plug building history.

CharlieTuna
01-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I read a lot about Bob Pond making those swimmers in the 1940's. I think he started around 1944 and selling them in 1945. He was known for that and his conservation support.

I think the Fuller Bros from Buzzard's Bay might have been first.

They started to make them around 1940, but may never have reached critical mass in the commercial market.
Anyway, I thought this might be interesting to you folks.

http://www.shorelinebt.com/id18.html

"Fuller Bros." from Shoreline bt.com
Fuller Bros.
Buzzards Bay, Mass.

Manufactured lures in the early 1940's. They produced poppers in two sizes, and several colors, that I am aware of: white, pink and powder blue. The lures came "thru wired" from front to tail hook, but were also designed with cotter pin, belly, "hook hangers".
The company also manufactured swimmer bodies,

CharlieTuna
01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Time Line -
Here is a time line I found -

Fuller Brothers - early 40's

Bob Pond, Atom Lures - 1945

Blue Streak - 1945

Snook Bait Company - "Surfking" 1945

Masterlure - "Rocket" 1947

Charles Heddon - "Swimmer Flaptail" same body style date ???

DarkSkies
02-16-2013, 10:55 PM
The original Striper Swiper from Atom Manufacturing Co in Attleboro, MA

The guy selling these had 2 in pristine condition, $10 each....
I told him the boxes were worth that much and not to sell them for less....and it turns out 1/2 hour later some guy eagerly forked over $20 to buy both without haggling.......:learn:

dogfish
03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
striper swiper was one of the first saltwater plugs I started using. They are bulletproof and will take a lot of abuse. Thanks for posting DS.

dogfish
03-05-2015, 01:53 PM
I don't know if this belongs here or the other thread about the modern manufacturers. Feel free to move it elsewhere if ya want, DS.:HappyWave:

Yankee Lures - Plymouth MASS, 02360
Started by 2 guys Jimmy Rogers and Bob Ostby. Rob left about a year later and Jimmy kept up the production for awhile. They made all plastic lures. Heavy polaris popper 3.5 oz. Some of them were distinguished by clear or slightly colored plastic with colored flecks in them.
Bass Bomb lure as well. Also 2+ oz pencil poppers. There was a rivalry between them and Al Gags. Nothing too serious from what I remember but I think they did not like each other.

Jim was eventually bought out by Pete Johnson who tried to give the company a fresh start. I think the negative feedback about plastic plugs not as good as wood and being heavier eventually did them in. The only shops I remember that carried them don't any more. Mostly available now on e-bay and flea markets.

dogfish
03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
When I first started fishing these didn't know much about them. They were plastic and I thought a PITA to keep on the surface because so heavy. They were best for the canal during hard current as the polaris tended to dig in a bit and swam up to a foot or more beneath the surface. I found they worked best with herring available and when bass were not actively surface feeding. They were irresistible to bluefish. Maybe that's why so many guys stopped using them. good for rips and rough water as well. The pic here is an original pencil I had laying around. 2 1/4 oz. That color was an absolute bluefish magnet. Enjoy.

aage
12-25-2016, 10:07 PM
My all-time favorit is Hicky-Do by Ray Waren from Mass. Mid 40shttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20622&stc=1

hookedonbass
12-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Nice, the tag on there says they are herring plugs. Have you caught a lot of stripers on them when they're around or have you stopped using them because of their collector value?

aage
12-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Nice, the tag on there says they are herring plugs. Have you caught a lot of stripers on them when they're around or have you stopped using them because of their collector value?
His shop was in an old barn located on Great Herring Pond in Cedarville Mass. Where he operated an old peddle lathe to make his lures.
It was a one man operation in the mid 40s.He was well known and they caught a lot of fish.On the box it said "Heavy enough to get out there"

jigfreak
12-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Great piece of history, Aage. Love reading stuff like that, thanks for sharing it.

albiealert
12-30-2016, 08:07 AM
His shop was in an old barn located on Great Herring Pond in Cedarville Mass. Where he operated an old peddle lathe to make his lures.
It was a one man operation in the mid 40s.He was well known and they caught a lot of fish.On the box it said "Heavy enough to get out there"
Thank you sir, so enjoyed reading the details. Love that old time marketing, simple but effective.

CharlieTuna
12-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Nice read and piece of history. thanks for posting.