PDA

View Full Version : Bass Fishing Team for College

bababooey
04-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Morris, Ill.

Morris angling for a bass fishing team
BY MIKE CUNNIFF (javascript:void(0))

Morris, Ill.
Will bass fishing be the next IHSA spring sport?

Apparently so.

Certainly, there is interest at Morris Community High School.

John Courter, an assistant varsity football coach on George Dergo's staff in 2007, has indicated he would be more than willing to help establish such a program.

“We had a sign up sheet put up in the office in February to see how much interest there was,” reported Courter Monday night. “I was expecting about 20 kids and we had 133 sign up in a three-day period. In fact, I even had a student come up to me today and ask if he could sign up.”

In early February, the IHSA Board of Directors approved a recommendation from the Executive Director at its regularly-scheduled meeting to add a bass fishing tournament as an IHSA activity beginning in 2009, provided that adequate sponsorships are secured in advance for the tournament.

That move by the IHSA spurred Courter to action.

“I was given encouragement by George Dergo (who doubles as the MCHS Athletic Director) about going to the administration about starting a bass fishing club here,” Courter said. “We were not certain of the interest but when we had the sign up and found out how many kids were interested, we went back to the administration and got board approval.

“This effort is all volunteer,” Courter added. “Nobody is being paid any money. But I love to fish and this would be a way to go fishing and have fun with kids. We had a meeting and had about 50 kids show up. We are going to have another meeting this week and I expect even more people to be present.” Courter has been fishing most of his life.

“I grew up (in Prophetstown in northwestern Illinois) fishing with my dad but basically, what we did was go out, throw our lines in the water and take a nap,” he reported. “But then when I started coaching (back in Prophetstown), I had somebody introduce me to bass fishing. We would go out to Coon Creek and fish and it became a hobby of mine.”

Courter has been contacted by a local club, the Illinois Valley Bass Masters, which offered its assistance which included taking members out on their boats. He has also been in contact with several high school fishing clubs who have suggested contacting companies for teaching material and for fishing equipment.

“The owners of Bedford Sales have been really helpful,” said Courter. “They gave a list of names of people who might help us.”

Courter says he has five goals for the local club.

“My immediate intentions include having the students learn about fishing, share what they know about fishing and get the students fishing. Our goals are to spread the joy of fishing, to better our skills, to promote conservation, to learn water/boating safety and to have fun.”

Courter says while the thought of having bass fishing as an IHSA sport might have seemed lofty, he offered an explanation as to why the organization is pushing ahead with its plans.

“Colleges have started to give scholarships (for the sport) and I think the IHSA is trying to offer bass fishing on the high school level to take advantage of the scholarship possibility,” Courter explained. “And I hate to throw a damper on the students but I have told them that any costs will be their expense.

“Many students have asked about fishing/camping trips, T-shirts, equipment and other possibilities,” Courter said. “My intentions for the students to pay their own way or go get needed equipment through donations.”

Courter is seeking some help.

“Since I am new to the area (moving here from Tipton, Iowa), I really don't know the good fishing spots,” Courter said. “If anyone out there has a pond where a group of 10 to 15 kids could fish, please contact me (at the MCHS web site or by calling the high school). I am just trying to get the word out.”

The IHSA has tentatively established May 1-2 of 2009 as the dates for the first bass fishing tournament. Lake Shelbyville has been mentioned as a possible location for the tournament. To set the field, sectional tournaments will be April 17, with an April 18 rain date. The number of sectionals will vary based on the number of teams. Sites will vary depending on the location of competitors.

Schools will also be limited to two boats with two anglers fishing at any one time. Boys and girls can compete. Anglers will be accompanied by an adult captain.

Reportedly, about 300 of 756 IHSA member schools have expressed interest.