PDA

View Full Version : line size

barrys
12-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Thinking about going to 10# PP line down from 50# PP on one of my spools, I hate casting 8 & bait I feel using 10# power pro that has the dia of 2# mono there will be less pull from the current and I will be able to get away with 6oz. What do you guys think?

Barry

fishinmission78
12-21-2009, 04:17 PM
You fishing the back sides of inlets near any rocks, or just straight in the ocean?

Monty
12-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I think 10 pound is to light.
I have snapped off plugs (3 oz) on 50 lb braid during a cast.
Is it the resistance of the line in the current that pulls the lead through the sand, or the current pushing the weight and the bait down current?

clamchucker
12-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Barry, Monty made a good point. Power pro is thinner than mono to begin with. I go as low as 30 when throwing clams during the winter, simply because I find the lighter line will slice my fingers if not careful. At my age I try not to get too many cuts because they take time to heal. You also have to think about wind knots if you decide to switch over to jigging metal or bucktails. On a blustery day with 10# braid you are asking for trouble.

Why not try 30 and see how you like it? Monty made another good point about resistance and current. What kind of sinkers are you using? Hatteras style hold better. You can use sputniks, but I feel they are more trouble than they are worth, Hatteras are fine.

finchaser
12-21-2009, 08:30 PM
30#

barrys
12-22-2009, 10:58 AM
fishinmission- Usually straight out.

Monty - I have 50lb mono for a shock leader that goes around the reel about 5 or 6 wraps I don't think I will get many break off when casting. Just thought using thinner line would eliminate one thing thats pulling the line.

clamchucker - Not worried about cuts I'm using a breakaway cannon nad have a long leader for retrieving as far as bucktails go I use a lightweight conventional rod for that. The rod I want to put 10# PP on is strictly bait.

My main concern is over tiring a fish ( if I would catch one :)) before I try to release it
Barry

finchaser
12-22-2009, 12:08 PM
How can you possibly surf fish, bait or plug with 3# drag (1/3 breaking strength of line) and not expect to harm a fish

fishinmission78
12-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Dude I understand your points, but 10 is way too light. We're trying to save you some money and aaggravation here. If you tried it for yourself, you would see that the advice here is spot on, unless you like slicing your fingers. Maybe if you were using it just to throw light plugs, fine, for bait and that sinker size you need a minumum of 30#.

barrys
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies it was just a thought. Doesn't seem like it was a good one.:lookhappy:

Barry

clamchucker
12-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Don't feel bad about asking a question, Barry. That is the way to learn. The thing I noticed here is the answers were in agreement. When different strangers give similar advice, it is a good idea to follow that advice. Hope this helped.

vpass
12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
With anything lighter then 30# test with PP it becomes a headach with windknots. As Finchaser stated not good for the fish, you end up fighting them to long.

DarkSkies
12-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies it was just a thought. Doesn't seem like it was a good one.:lookhappy:

Barry

Don't feel bad about asking a question, Barry. That is the way to learn. The thing I noticed here is the answers were in agreement. When different strangers give similar advice, it is a good idea to follow that advice. Hope this helped.

Barry, I don't think you did that poorly for a new guy here. You asked a reasonable question based on your experience. Some answered it. Like Clamchucker said, it might seem like some of them didn't give you exactly the answer you were looking for. That's the way it works sometimes. The guys answering your questions have had years of experience.

I think if you wanted to get down on yourself for asking, you should realize this...if they didn't want to help ya, they might have ignored your question. Don't sweat it, learning ain't easy all the time, nor should it be. :learn:

You'll pick things up a little at a time, go back the the surf and apply the advice you learned here, and learn well that way. Keep comin. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
09-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Barry, Monty made a good point. Power pro is thinner than mono to begin with. I go as low as 30 when throwing clams during the winter, simply because I find the lighter line will slice my fingers if not careful. At my age I try not to get too many cuts because they take time to heal. You also have to think about wind knots if you decide to switch over to jigging metal or bucktails. On a blustery day with 10# braid you are asking for trouble.

Why not try 30 and see how you like it? Monty made another good point about resistance and current. What kind of sinkers are you using? Hatteras style hold better. You can use sputniks, but I feel they are more trouble than they are worth, Hatteras are fine.

30#

With anything lighter then 30# test with PP it becomes a headach with windknots. As Finchaser stated not good for the fish, you end up fighting them to long.

Thought it might be a good time to revisit this thread, and ask Barry :HappyWave: if he had made any changes in the line he uses, since then.
Or if any of ya's have further advice about
line size.....
line size, and seasonal variations.....etc...thanks.

Monty
09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Thought it might be a good time to revisit this thread, and ask Barry :HappyWave: if he had made any changes in the line he uses, since then.
Or if any of ya's have further advice about
line size.....
line size, and seasonal variations.....etc...thanks.

The line I am now using is 20lb suffix 832. Started using it this year, was using 30 lb. before. This is for plugging only, not from rockpiles, but sometimes around them. I like the thinner line, have not had any issues as long as I cut a couple feet off the end each trip. I completely dislike the 50 lb line as it really cuts down on the distance. I have read that the 20 lb 832 suffix tests out at 40 lbs. But I think after regular use that the break point lowers closer to the rating (completely my opinion).

barrys
09-25-2013, 01:17 PM
I never used 10# due to the answers I received on this thread. I tried 20# on a 10? Saltiga Surf I had and got a lot of breakoffs when using a pulley rig always came back with just my swivel and no apparent knots in my line. The only thing I could figure was I was getting a loop over a guide to stop the line, the rod only had three guides and the tip if I remember right. Now using the 20# on a conventional reel that is just for metal and plugs. Everything else is 30,40,and 50# stuff. Have 30# 832 white on a new spinner and was impressed how well the birds and I were able to see it. It may become my favorite line.
Thanks for the original replies know I wouldn't have been happy with 10# braid.
Barry

clamchucker
09-25-2013, 03:21 PM
You are very welcome Barry. Good luck this fall