PDA

View Full Version : how many of you doctor the lures before using them?

porgy75
12-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I fish them exactly as I get them from the package. Some people don't. I thought this article was interesting. This guy here is using a sharpie pen to modify some things. What do you do?

Become a lure ‘doctor’

By Ken Maurer
For The Daily Item

Some anglers are addicted to doctoring lures. They can’t stand to just take something out of a package and use it.

I remember when I used to think that sort of thing was a little over the top, but I must admit I have joined their ranks to a certain degree.

There is a multitude of ways to doctor a bait. Color is one of the first things that will draw you in to the doctoring clan. You can use a Sharpie pen, which wears off eventually, or you can get one of the commercial dyes available at tackle shops such as Spike-it. White-colored plastic takes dye the best.

A white twister or plastic shad with the tail dipped in chartreuse is an example of doctoring. Sometimes this makes a big difference. Sometimes it only takes a subtle change. Dipping a smoke-colored twister’s tail in chartreuse is more subtle, but often triggers more bites. Red, orange, blue and chartreuse are good doctoring colors.

I keep a couple of Sharpie pens in my tackle box for times when I want to tinker. Chartreuse dip dye is the overall favorite. Anything plastic can be doctored, and it opens up a new horizon for intrepid anglers. You do have to be a little careful with dyed lures. Keep them separated, or the dye could rub off onto something you don’t want dyed.

Another way to doctor plastic is to shorten or lengthen the plastic. To shorten it, just cut or tear a piece off the front of the twister. To lengthen it, simply glue a piece onto the front with super glue or any of the fishing glues made for this purpose.

Gluing two different colors together is another way of getting your own color scheme. On bell-tailed shad, snipping a piece of the body in front of the tail will increase the wobble action of the tail. The Spike-it company came up with a very innovative product for people who like to tinker, a plastic crazy glue that sticks to plastic, but won’t stick to your fingers. Hardbaits can be doctored, too.

There are dipping dyes available for spinnerbait blades. For lures such as Rebels and Rapalas, I use nail polish. With a wife and two daughters, I have a pile of nail polish to choose from. Sometimes a little splash of red or orange does wonders for a lure.

Changing out hooks is another way to doctor a lure. Some lures have good hooks installed at the factory, some have inferior hooks. All of the hook companies make good replacement hooks, from the standard Eagle Claw and Mustad to the premium types such as Owner, VMC, Excaliber, and Gamakatsu. Mustad has a premium series out called triple grip, which is a great hook.

Excalibur markets a twisted treble that has greatly increased my hookup percentage on topwater lures.

Split rings are often overlooked and are an important part of the lure. Walleye often short-strike a plug if they are not in a real aggressive mood. One trick that works well for me is to add an extra split ring to the tail hook. That puts the tail hook just a little farther back, and it is often enough to stick that walleye right on the upper lip.

So, when the normal stuff doesn’t have its stuff, doctor it up a little. It just might put a few more fish on your line.

n Ken Maurer, Herndon, is a licensed fishing guide and a regular contributor to the Outdoors section. Contact at kenrose@tds.net

storminsteve
12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I fish them exactly as I get them from the package. Some people don't. I thought this article was interesting. This guy here is using a sharpie pen to modify some things. What do you do?

I keep a couple of Sharpie pens in my tackle box for times when I want to tinker. Chartreuse dip dye is the overall favorite. Anything plastic can be doctored, and it opens up a new horizon for intrepid anglers. You do have to be a little careful with dyed lures. Keep them separated, or the dye could rub off onto something you don’t want dyed.

Another way to doctor plastic is to shorten or lengthen the plastic. To shorten it, just cut or tear a piece off the front of the twister. To lengthen it, simply glue a piece onto the front with super glue or any of the fishing glues made for this purpose.

I think that some of this stuff could work. On one of the fishing web sites 2 weeks ago, guys said they were fishing white rubber, but only the one that had lines on it got more hits than the plain white. I think the rubber either came like that or they could have used a marker as well.

finchaser
12-24-2009, 08:30 AM
I always replace split rings with HD and hooks with 4X if not already on plug .I always crush all barbs on treble hooks and if you know how to fish you don't lose fish because of it. On poppers rear hooks are changed to single hooks makes releasing the yellow eyed demons easy as most bass hit the front hooks

Frankiesurf
12-25-2009, 08:33 PM
I will change hooks and split rings but will also try to avoid using split rings if at all possible. I would rather cut a hook than put it on a split ring. Definitely add siwash hooks to the backs of plugs. Some get dressed hooks, some don't, depending on the plug movement, size and size of bait in the area. Dressed hooks add to the profile of the lure so keep that in mind when adding them.

I will also bend the eyes of lures up or down depending on where I want them to swim in the water column.

I have cut some rubber off of swim shads to either increase the action or adjust the depth it swims. I have not really gotten it down yet but am working on it.