PDA

View Full Version : when to start.

rip316
12-25-2009, 08:42 PM
What effects actually get the spring bass bite going? Where do you guys usually start. I start backbay somewhere around mothers day. I s there a weather pattern that kicks it off?

DarkSkies
12-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Water temp is one of the most important factors for the back bay. You want to pay attention as the temps trend upwards toward the mid 40's and 50's.

Once it hits close to 50, the copepods, marine worms, and small organisms and crustaceans living in the mud flats start to get more active. The water flowing out from the tidal creeks washes over these mud flats. A sunny day or 2 cuts right through to the mud on the shallow bottoms of the bay flats. This mud heats up and stirs these small creatures to greater activity. This brings the bass in as they listen to their innate drive to search for food. :drool:

Outgoing tide is usually the best bet for fishing back bays this time of year.

Bass metabolism, which is almost at hibernation stage in the high 30's and low 40's, starts to become more active as you approach that magic 45-50 degree temp mark. :wow:

I start to obsessively check the back bay water temps in several areas when it rises above 45 degrees. :learn:

Some links from the front page of this site:
RB
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv?cb_00065=on&cb_00011=on&cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=7&site_no=01407081
BB
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01409125

As soon as it hits close to 50, I'm OTW and spending more time out there because I know it's only a matter of days before it turns on. :dribble:A lot of times that coincides with Mar 1, other times it doesn't. The thing is, you'll notice a significant difference in reported catches as that temp approaches 50.

Also, for a Spring fishiing pattern, a Noreaster can actually turn the bite on like a switch if you can fish in front of it. Hope this helps.

rip316
12-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Cool. I love the salivating smiley face guy. I know the exact feeling.

jigfreak
01-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I always start in the back bay. As a matter of fact, I have greased the reels, repaired the rods, and changed the rusty hooks on my plugs. I bought a few new plugs and terminal tackle. I don't know what to do next. :don't know why: I hope spring comes soon!