PDA

View Full Version : worst conditions you have ever fished in, fresh or salt

plugginpete
12-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I have fished the salt in the beginning of some strong storms and caught fish. I also fished some rivers during rainy season and caught some nice catfish while sliding down muddy river banks. I never intentionally fished during a lightning storm, though, and I wouldn't want to.:scared:
So what are some of the most intense conditions you have ever fished in?

Frankiesurf
12-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I have fished in 45 mph winds with well over 50 mph gusts. Also in 40 mph winds with rain that felt like it was going to pierce my skin.

I have fished in well below freezing temps and have had to knock the ice off my guides between casts.

jigfreak
12-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I fished in the beginning of the season one year, there were small hail stones and a freezing type rain/slush mix. We were on the ocean side, fishing clams, toward sunset. The bass were there, mostly schoolies, although my bud got one around 14. We lasted 2 hours in that weather before we called it a day.

Simp
12-28-2009, 01:23 PM
At the start of the big Nor'Easter we had a couple of months ago. At the Hook with wind and driving rain that felt like birdshot hitting me in the face. Wind steady 30-35 kts with gusts to 50 made for some interesting casts, but the bass, blues and albies were in close and it turned out to be a decent morning, if you could stand up!:thumbsup:

gjb1969
12-28-2009, 01:47 PM
in pp in a nor easter waves crashing flooding wind rain :kooky: but i had fun cast reel and run:fishing:

Monty
12-28-2009, 02:37 PM
I have fished in freezing temps and sleet. Also some big waves and strong winds (almost so strong was hard to stand). As for intense, last year was late fall Island Beach, fished from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. Rainy windy day, picked a few bass and blues from the rough surf untill dark. Incoming tide, wind went dead east, like a wind tunnel. Horizontal rain out of the east. Waves kicked up. Must have pushed sand eels over the bar, had two doubles of bass, one double blue (10 lb+)/ bass. Plus a few single bass. Ava and rubber teaser. Bass were all around 28 inches. Conditions were crazy, if you were yelling at someone 3 feet from you they could barly hear you from the wind/surf noise. About 10 guys over a half mile of beach were into the fish. That was intense for me and that day was the most fun I have had fishing the surf.

finchaser
12-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Montalk cod fishing near blizzard conditions mates had to shovel the deck

surfwalker
12-28-2009, 09:34 PM
There's probably quite a few, but one always stands out in my head.
One year on Dec. 30th-25°/12°WC, cloudy/overcast, but birds working the channel. The wind was howling NNW and I really had no business being at the False Rip on the Hook. Hands frozen before I even started the walk, almost useless. But the water had stayed fairly warm, and the prior days catches were good with small Bass. The line froze as it was reeled out of the water and the roller was loaded with ice. I just couldn't get it through my thick head that it was time to quit. Started at 7am and at 8 picked up a small Bass on a blue/white 4" Rebel. It was the only plug I brought with me for I knew I wouldn't have enough strenght to change plugs with frozen digits. I stayed till 10, and dreaded the walk back.
Sat in the car for a half hour, heater blasting, not even feeling it. Hands didn't start coming back until I was on the Driscoll Bridge. I hate cold weather.

bluesdude71
12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
I also fished some rivers during rainy season and caught some nice catfish while sliding down muddy river banks.

I did that a few years ago. Had a nice carp on about 15lbs. I had light line so I went closer to the bank to grab it. It was raining, and had rained for 3 days prior to that. I wanted to be out fishing so I went. I slid in while reaching for the carp and was soon up to my waist. The water was hella cold, maybe high 30's. After a few tense moments I grabbed onto a small tree on the side and pulled myself out.Needless to say I was done for that day. I was glad to get back to the heated truck. All over a lousy carp!:embarassed:

Pebbles
12-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Dark took me out not too long ago in a Noreaster. 40 mile an hour winds, torrential downpours. I felt like I got run over by a truck by the time I got home.

finchaser
12-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Dark took me out not too long ago in a Noreaster. 40 mile an hour winds, torrential downpours. I felt like I got run over by a truck by the time I got home.

:don't know why:In that kind of weather it must have been a case of misery wanted company ,because he sure couldn't have expected to catch something:D. You are defininatly one hell of a woman:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
12-29-2009, 08:33 PM

:don't know why:In that kind of weather it must have been a case of misery wanted company ,because he sure couldn't have expected to catch something:D. You are defininatly one hell of a woman:thumbsup:
Hey didncha know that if you can get your woman to fish with ya in a noreaster, ya got yourself a keeper? :lookhappy:

Pfft, it wasn't that bad, really. :laugh: At the most the gusts were 40. :don't know why:

The first day on 10/17 I had her down in OC behind LBI. That was a little hairy, the winds sounded like tornado winds. Those winds were 20-25 with gusts up to 35-40. :eek: There were fish back there, bluefish breaking on small bait. We fished it for awhile but the wind and rain became too intense and we bailed.

The saga of that weekend is in this thread.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5184

This is one of the bridges we fished:

The next day on 10/18 the winds had died down to a "reasonable" 20, with gusts to 30mph. I dragged her to the back of the Raritan so we could fish clams, because, believe it or not, guys had been catching fish in that slop.

Well, the day we went it was too intense. We stuck it out for 1 1/2 hours with no hits on the clam rods. The wind was building and made for a rough time out there. Impossible to fish artificials with that wind in your face. Yet through it all she was a trooper, never complained once. :thumbsup:

The cheerful fisherwoman that she is, she still agrees to stay out with me and see if the weather would break.:kooky: Later that day it did, and we were glad we didn't go home. :wow:

I brought her to the river. We found some bluefish breaking on small bait. The current was very strong outgoing, but the noreast winds were pushing the water back a bit. I handed her a 3 oz krocodile and told her to keep casting. 2 mins later she nailed a schoolie bass!

Score for that day:
Pebbles - 1
Dark - 0 :skunk:

I had fun takin her pics and playing coach. The truth is she hooked and landed that fish without my help. :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I assisted on the release. ;) I can't stress enough how proud I am proud I am of her.
Love that girl. :kiss: :heart:

She's a keeper. :fishing:

I'll let her dig up the pic and post it when she gets a chance.

Pebbles
12-29-2009, 10:39 PM

It was actually kind of fun. We spent lots of time laughing and getting wet. He told me it was only 40 mph winds, but I beg to differ. If you ask me it was more like 50.

Anyhow, yes I did catch my first striper of the year that day.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7921&thumb=1&d=1255971979 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7921&d=1255971979)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7920&d=1255971248

DarkSkies
01-10-2010, 08:33 PM
OGB was worried about me takin Pebbles out into the worst weather, so he sent us a modern forecast device. Gotta love the latest technology. Gee thanks OGB. :lookhappy:

basshunter
02-22-2013, 12:19 PM
There's probably quite a few, but one always stands out in my head.
One year on Dec. 30th-25°/12°WC, cloudy/overcast, but birds working the channel. The wind was howling NNW and I really had no business being at the False Rip on the Hook. Hands frozen before I even started the walk, almost useless. But the water had stayed fairly warm, and the prior days catches were good with small Bass. The line froze as it was reeled out of the water and the roller was loaded with ice. I just couldn't get it through my thick head that it was time to quit. Started at 7am and at 8 picked up a small Bass on a blue/white 4" Rebel. It was the only plug I brought with me for I knew I wouldn't have enough strenght to change plugs with frozen digits. I hate cold weather.

I hate cold weather too. At least you got a fish though. When the lines freeze on the guides it's too cold to be out there!

basshunter
02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Montalk cod fishing near blizzard conditions mates had to shovel the deck

Must have been verrrrryyyyy slippery!:scared: Did you catch cod on that trip?