PDA

View Full Version : RFA (who does it represent?)

Monty
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Does the Recreational Fishing Alliance look out for the individual fisherman or does it look out for the Party Boats, Charters and Tackle Manufacturers and Shops? No way it can represent them all fairly IMHO.

DarkSkies
12-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Monty you bring up a good point which should be talked about and addressed. There was some concern over whether they addressed the issues surfcasters or individual fishermen face as completely as other groups.

Some people feel they don't. In the past, I would agree with that. I honestly don't feel there are many political organizations today that completely put surfcaster issues before those of other groups.

On the Bassbarn there was an intelligent discussion about this. Some, because they felt it doesn't completely represent land-based anglers, weren't quite ready to lend their support. :don't know why:

I understand wanting a group that addresses our concerns as a priority.

However the political process is imperfect and can sometimes disappoint. It may seem too many compromises need to be made to get results. So as a result guys turn off to it.

I know you're not that kind of guy, you merely want to learn more about a group before you get on board. That's a reasonable and smart way to go through life. :learn:

As I said, I think we need to align ourselves with groups who will coordinate the efforts of many fishermen to influence politicians. The only thing lawmakers understand is votes, and bodies who are angry enough to vote against them. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

These groups like the RFA aren't perfect. Sometimes I might disagree with the tactics used or the compromises they may have to make.

All I'm saying is we need some type of nationally focused group that can channel fishermen energies, letters, and support into meetings with lawmakers at the highest level.

IMO the RFA and groups like Stripers Forever have the best chance of accomplishing these goals..

So for now I'm on board with supporting them and their agenda. If something changes in the future, I would re-consider my support.

Freedom of discussion and debate is one of the principles our Bill of Rights was founded on.

I would like to hear other opinions here, even if you completely disagree.

I can tell people out there one thing...we fishermen are less organized than the enviro-nuts, and that won't change unless we learn to work together and compromise here and there.

buckethead
12-29-2009, 10:08 AM
As I said, I think we need to align ourselves with groups who will coordinate the efforts of many fishermen to influence politicians. The only thing lawmakers understand is votes, and bodies who are angry enough to vote against them. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

These groups like the RFA aren't perfect. Sometimes I might disagree with the tactics used or the compromises they may have to make.

All I'm saying is we need some type of nationally focused group that can channel fishermen energies, letters, and support into meetings with lawmakers at the highest level.

IMO the RFA and groups like Stripers Forever have the best chance of accomplishing these goals..

So for now I'm on board with supporting them and their agenda. If something changes in the future, I would re-consider my support.

Freedom of discussion and debate is one of the principles our Bill of Rights was founded on.

I would like to hear other opinions here, even if you completely disagree.

I can tell people out there one thing...we fishermen are less organized than the enviro-nuts, and that won't change unless we learn to work together and compromise here and there.

Well-said. The groups who represent us will not fulfill all of our wishes because politics is complicated. I saw that other thread about JCAA. At one time they were considered the saviors of fishermen. Now I remember reading that some group is mad at something they did or didn't do. You can't please everyone in this world. At least these groups are representing us on the political side. I would rather have them represent me than PETA.

dogfish
12-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Fishing and politics dont mix unless you find a politician who actually fishes. That's a good reason to stay away from it, but maybe an even better reason why you should get involved. Just my .02.

finchaser
12-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Does the Recreational Fishing Alliance look out for the individual fisherman or does it look out for the Party Boats, Charters and Tackle Manufacturers and Shops? No way it can represent them all fairly IMHO.

For all recreational fisherman which encompasses people who fish on party boats,charter boats and the beach. Plus most tackle shop owners fish.

I do all three, as many saltwater fisherman do. Surf is dead so we fish boats for cod,pollack,hake and ling.
Always fish boats for fluke,blackfish( fish that are good eating)
We no longer can fish for seabass, which is part of the fight the RFA and SSFFF are undertaking.

The commercial guys pay lobbyists to get there way from government ( large fish quota's) they want ours.
The RFA (Recreational Fishing Alliance) lobbies for us from the donations and memberships, thats where all the money goes.

Remember the money which goes to the economy is what government looks at. The money spent by beach fisherman is like a pimple on an elephants *** compared to boat sector. With out the boat sector we would have no quota's it would all be commercial,which government (DR. Lubchenco) wants.
The more fisheries they shut down the worse it's gonna be.

Just this year 2009 since Ms Lubchenco took over NOAA thanks to Obama (she came from PEW)

Seabass shut down here
Red Snapper,Amberjack in florida shut down
Weakfish here

For 2010
seabass 2 months instead of 12 months
weakfish 1 fish instead of 6
possible new striper regulations
new fluke regulations

These are all fights the RFA is involved in to over turn,hence the seabass lawsuit against government,fighting to keep fluke and Striped bass regulations and quota the same. They fight to keep recreational fish quotas from going to the commercials and other fisheries from being shut down. There are 2 groups Recreational and Commercial period thats how fish are split up.

If we fish for them from land or sea really has no bearing we are recreational fisherman it's our quota we want to save. Remember with out bass and blues beach guy's disappear and no one would care especially beach front home owners who also support government against us with political contributions.

blitzhunter
12-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Well said guys. It's an organization which continues to need our support.