PDA

View Full Version : What was your most enjoyable day/days of the past year at/on the water?

surfwalker
12-31-2009, 10:53 PM
The day that stands out among the whole season. Either off the surf or by boat. Was it being in a blitz, biggest fish, just being there, catching on a plug you carried for years and finally got something on it. No matter what it was, I’d like to hear about it.

Frankiesurf
12-31-2009, 11:34 PM
For me it would have to be my first night out in my brand new wetsuit. Deep on the South side of Montauk. Swam out to a pretty crappy rock to stand on in a dark night with a serious SW wind. I eventually got washed off, a few times, and never had so much fun. Swimming out, dodging waves then floating after I got washed off. It then started pouring buckets and I could care less.

I had one bump all night after walking for longer than I actually fished. It was the most memorable night I had this year.

There were many good times but that one stands out above all.

DarkSkies
01-01-2010, 02:25 PM
What was your most enjoyable day/days of the past year at/on the water? (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5614)

No matter what it was, I’d like to hear about it.

Since you asked in the plural, as in days, I'm gonna have to lay a couple of them down. I'll try to keep each story to under 500 words :rolleyes: and maybe fill them in later.

Here they are according to the 2009 timeline:

1. Early spring fishin with Monty in the back of RB. We didn't really do great that day, but it was the getting pounded from the wind and the waves, and the fellowship, that made it a great day. :thumbsup:

2 Fishin in the back of RB early fall with my fishin buddy George. He was 11 the last time we went there, and starting to make the transition from bait fishin to surfcasting. I'm extremely proud of the kid. :clapping:

3 Fishin at Montauk this year the weekend of the first noreaster. Not much to show for it except small fish. It was a great chance to meet some old time Montauk surfcasters, Willy Young ,Lilco Joe. and others. Meeting a few of my NJ hardcore friends there, & getting knocked around off the rocks a bit.

3. Fishin with Pebbles and getting her her 1st 2009 bass. :kiss:

4. Fishin down in OC, the weekend of Nov 6. One of the most exciting weekends for the fall this year. Also one of the most addictive from a surf fisherman's perspective. I'll play that tape over and over in my head all winter. :drool:

5. Finally meeting and fishing with OGB, that grouchy bassturd. I knew him before, but somehow we never met up and fished. Even though he usually :beatin: everyone around when he's fishin, it was a privelege to see and meet the legend in person. Also to get to see that all the stories about Killie are lies, Killie does know how to catch.

6. Fishin (finally) with the OFFC :HappyWave: They fished the day, I fished the night, we didn't run into each other much this year until the fall. Fishjay from the OFFC gave me a custom Lami he made many years ago to replace the 2 piece I had been beating up on. Incredible generosity on the part of these long time surfcasters. :heart: The meaning behind that gift made me realize how fortunate I was to meet these guys many years ago.

7. Meeting some of the other old-time fishermen, and the times I fished with some other people I hang out with like Amboy, G, Vpass, Shark, and others, and the fun we had bustin each others' balls while we were out there. :wheeeee: Also meeting Surfwalker for the first time :HappyWave: Fishin with Gunny/SC1, Frankiesurf and the www.stripercoastsurfcasters.us (http://www.stripercoastsurfcasters.us) crew. Fishin with/meeting Mick, Paumanok, Chas, Cowherder, Storminsteve, and some of the other members of this site and getting to put the names to the faces. I feel fortunate to have fished with them or met them, even if not mentioned here. Meeting people and making new connections were some of the things that helped me get through this year.

Nothing holds my interest more than a hot bite of bluefish or bass. However, looking back, sometimes I had more fun with the actual experience being out there with good people than the fishing.

cowherder
01-01-2010, 03:26 PM
November 21 I got 18 bass to 28 1/2" with an ava and tube teaser. It was the best fishing day of my life. All the times I was out in 2009 I didn't have anything close to that. Then that one day it was like they were all there in nomoco. Great day, fantastic memories. And it was also fun meeting some of the members out there. I know I became more tuned in with your help.

Monty
01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Fishing that morning with Dark was great. I fish by myself almost always and it was great fishing with someone as crazy as me in those conditions. That was lots of fun and truly enjoyable meeting Dark for the first time. I cannot say enough good things about Dark.

I had a morning late May on consecutive casts I landed 37" and then 41" bass (last one my PB) that was an awesome morning.

First week of December, one morning I caught 15 short bass (most I ever caught in an outing). Another real great morning, first time I caught on Slug-gos, which was a ball.

Late November fished a morning at island beach state park in rough water and picked up eight bass all around 28 inches. I love plugging the rough water and that was loads of fun.

Number one fishing experience of 2009 was out back I landed around 25 blues (25"-35"), lost a bunch too. They would not hit metal, dimolished a Tony Spina Pencil, and biggest were on Rip-Plugger's wood. Not a blitz, but there were lots around. That was off the charts fun.

That all said, I can't wait to be plugging the beach at 2:00 am again. I really enjoy fishing the dark hours before sunrise. While my best action last year was sunrise, the dark hours for me are the most enjoyable on the water.

Also this year Rip-Plugger has helped me out with advice and its always special for me when I catch on his plugs.

And there are lots of guys on this site that make the whole fishing experience more enjoyable.

Great year for me in the salt.

rip316
01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
My best day was me and my daughter fishing manasquan river right before the inlet by the doggie beach. She's reeling it in and tells me to get the net cuz it feels heavy baby. Ends up being a 23 inch fluke. The expression on her face is instilled in my mind forever. Only 11 and loves to fluke fish.

fishinmission78
01-01-2010, 09:42 PM
One night early spring I got around 35 bass on jigs when the spearing came around. They were all runts but it was great action in the back bay area. The best part about of it was there wasn't a soul in sight to mug me.

storminsteve
01-01-2010, 09:44 PM
My best day was me and my daughter fishing manasquan river right before the inlet by the doggie beach. She's reeling it in and tells me to get the net cuz it feels heavy baby. Ends up being a 23 inch fluke. The expression on her face is instilled in my mind forever. Only 11 and loves to fluke fish.

That's a very cool story. Sound like you got her started on the right track.:thumbsup:

rip316
01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Steve, I have four kids, 3 boys and one girl. She loves to fish meanwhile the boys could care less. My youngest boy only likes it when he's outfishing the boat and talking trash.. Wanna know what she put on her xmas list? Waders so she can striper fish wit her Dad. Now that's cool.

DarkSkies
01-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Wanna know what she put on her xmas list? Waders so she can striper fish wit her Dad. Now that's cool.

To me that says you must be the kind of Dad that a child would want to fish with, that's huge. :thumbsup:

nitestrikes
01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I had a night when I had the whole beach to myself. Not another soul in sight. I only got 3 bass that night, biggest 28". The quiet and relaxation was as great as catching the fish. The sky and the stars were clear, it was an amazing night to be out.

Monty
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I had a night when I had the whole beach to myself. Not another soul in sight. I only got 3 bass that night, biggest 28". The quiet and relaxation was as great as catching the fish. The sky and the stars were clear, it was an amazing night to be out.

Those nights are great. :thumbsup:

jigfreak
02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I had a night at the end of the summer that was great. I was throwing bucktails out into deeper water, and letting them bounce in the current. 3rd cast I was into a bluefish over 10 lbs. I was hoping for a bass, but these blues were mean and nasty, from 10-15. I was working the bucktail hard, and catching a big gorilla about once every 5 minutes. They put up an awesome fight. I must have caught and released about 30. Awesome drag pullage.:fishing:

hookedonbass
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I had one night in the fall where things were pretty quiet. All of a sudden the bunker came by with fish chomping down on them. I throw my line out and 1st cast...bang...I got a 30lber.:)
Nothing at all for the rest of the night, but I was glad to get that 30.

gjb1969
02-09-2010, 10:18 PM
every day /night i could go out and wet a line:fishing:

dogfish
09-11-2014, 03:55 AM
Taking my daughter out to fish for snappers in the harbor. Little fish, big smiles with Dad.

storminsteve
09-14-2014, 07:37 AM
^^^^ Good Dad!:clapping:

jigfreak
10-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Taking my daughter out to fish for snappers in the harbor. Little fish, big smiles with Dad.

Better than awesome, outstanding job.:fishing:

voyager35
12-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Sometimes it's the little things that bring the big smiles. Thanks for sharing, enjoyed that.