gjb1969
01-05-2010, 05:45 PM
just want to see how many of u did it !! so lets here from u guys

rip316
01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Me and my wife are registered.

cowherder
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't agree that they will have the money at the federal level in 2011. I would rather them use it at the state level. I registered anyway. Let's see how it works out.

gjb1969
01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
i feel the same way lets see how it goes i still think its bs but it is what it is all i know i will still fish how ever this season comes out

rip316
01-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Me too. They wont stop me from fishing. Its my god given right to fish.

storminsteve
01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
i feel the same way lets see how it goes i still think its bs but it is what it is all i know i will still fish how ever this season comes out

Me too. They wont stop me from fishing. Its my god given right to fish.

If they ever try to shut it down we should stage a "fish in" to protest the law. I like that, god given right to fish. Could be a good campaign slogan for a smart politician who wanted to represent the fishing voters.
And yes, I registered today.

fishinmission78
01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I signed up.

vpass
01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I signed up also. I wonder if we have more rights by law, as in access and such.:don't know why: When they start charging for the licence we should demand fishing piers, and more access.

gjb1969
01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::fishing::clapping:: fishing::fishing: he!! yes get something for the money

Pebbles
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I guess I better put my name in. Thanks for the reminder.

surfwalker
01-07-2010, 06:33 AM
I registered, but am a little nervous about this whole thing.
Is it possible to get a fine if you're checked and don't have a valid registered number?

gjb1969
01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
well some say yes but if u fish on the dark side most people wont see u but just be careful

Frankiesurf
01-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Is it possible to get a fine if you're checked and don't have a valid registered number?

Of course you get fined for not having it, don't be silly. Not sure how much it is though.

Monty
01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I registered.

DarkSkies
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM

I think I read on the site somewhere as long as you registered, they give you some kind of temporary confirmation until you get your valid number. I wouldn't sweat over it too much in the beginning Surfwalker. The big push is to get people to register, hence the no fee for the first year.

The way I understand it is they're trying to make the process as painless as possible. I think there will be a gradual focus on enforcement, but realistically I don't think they'll be looking to ticket people right out of the gate. I could be wrong on this.

They want people to comply because as one of NJdiver's posts pointed out, they know the data they have now is way off.

NMFS proposes guidelines revisions:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5579

It's not in their best interests coming off like Nazis.

Here's a relevant post with the links, again by NJDiver. :HappyWave:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5579

captnemo
01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I registered.

Rickman
01-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I registered.

gjb1969
01-08-2010, 09:27 PM
we will see how they act all u need is some young guy trying to make a name for himself:scared:

voyager35
01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Registered today.

gjb1969
01-23-2010, 08:01 PM
who got the real card in the mail i am still waiting for mine i want to see what it looks like so who got theres:huh:

Monty
01-24-2010, 07:59 PM

who got the real card in the mail i am still waiting for mine i want to see what it looks like so who got theres:huh:

gjb1969
01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
ok thanks monty still on the lookout for mine:don't know why:

vpass
01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
got mine 2 weeks ago.

rip316
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't remember reading that if you do not have your card on you or if you didn't register you would get fined. Can they fine someone?

ledhead36
01-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't think they will be looking to fine anyone for the first year. I think they are merely looking for compliance. I am sure fines will eventually part of the revenues they are looking at. What gets me is we American citizens have to register. If you are illegal I heard they are not making them register.

DarkSkies
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
ok thanks monty still on the lookout for mine:don't know why:

G did you register online? :HappyWave:

That temp card they asked you to print out covers you until you get the official one in the mail.

I don't remember reading that if you do not have your card on you or if you didn't register you would get fined. Can they fine someone?

I think what Ledhead said is accurate, Rip, but if anyone has further info plse feel free to post up. I can't imagine they would fine people during the first year.

I don't know how they're going to deal with undocumented immigrants who don't have cards. IMO if they don't figure out a way to include them, there's gonna be a lot of negative feedback from anglers who took the time to register, and treated the program with respect.

I got off the procrastination pot and signed yesterday. (Thanks for that reminder to all of us, G! :cool:)

Accurate data is better than what we have now guys and girls. If I can preach about the inaccuracy of their past data, the least I could to is to register and do my part to help them get accurate numbers. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
For people who are still on the fence:

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/faq.html#5

3. How is the new program going to be different?

MRIP is not a silver bullet to solve all our management problems. Implementing a new data program will not necessarily mean that individual fishermen will be able to catch more fish than they can under current regulations.

MRIP is about improving the reliability of fishing data and providing better estimates of anglers’ catch and effort.

MRIP is a tool that will enable all parties to use the same yardstick by which to measure important fishery management decisions.

To facilitate the shift away from single-species management toward an ecosystem-based approach, the Marine Recreational Information Program will be more than a one-size-fits-all survey.

Rather, the program will be made up of an interconnected system of surveys, each targeted toward particular segments of the fishing community (for-hire, private anglers, highly migratory species) and regions of the country. To ensure the integrity of the data and maintain scientific rigor, these regional surveys will all adhere to a consistent set of national standards. This allows NOAA, the states, the fishery management councils, and the recreational industry itself to most efficiently capture information from these important segments.

Anglers who participate in sampling efforts may not immediately notice many differences, as some of the changes to recreational fishing data program will be taking place behind the scenes. The process will be similar to rolling out a new car that looks similar to previous models, but under the hood is a completely redesigned engine.

4. Does recreational fishing actually have that large of an impact?

Yes. Recreational fishermen play a significant role as both stewards and users of fisheries. For some species of fish, the recreational catch far outpaces the commercial harvest. In addition, in many communities, recreational fishing is a major economic driver, affecting everything from the hospitality industry to fuel sales to outfitters and small businesses. Accurately capturing the many contributions of recreational fishermen will help to ensure that these interests are properly considered in resource allocation and other policy matters.

5. Has the sportfishing community been involved with the redesign effort?

Yes. Even the most statistically sound data program can only succeed when it has the support of those who collect, use, and are ultimately affected by the data. That’s why many people, both inside and outside NOAA Fisheries, have been involved throughout the design and early implementation process.
NOAA Fisheries has established teams of experts from NOAA, state fisheries agencies, regional fisheries councils and interstate fisheries commissions, partner organizations, the conservation community, and other stakeholders to lead the development of distinct aspects of the Marine Recreational Information Program.
Everyone who has an interest and a stake in the process has been invited and encouraged to participate from the beginning, and the agency will continue to lead a cooperative and transparent redesign process.

6. What will the Marine Recreational Information Program do?

Fundamentally, MRIP will help NOAA achieve its mission of ensuring the sustainability of U.S. fisheries and the long-term health of our oceans. Specifically, the new survey will help managers better understand saltwater sportfishing’s relationship to fisheries by better answering these fundamental questions: Who fishes? What’s being caught? How many fish are caught? Where and when are people fishing?

Data collection has traditionally been conducted through telephone interviews and in-person field sampling. These practices are expected to continue with MRIP, but many survey elements related to both data collection and analysis will be updated and refined to address issues such as data gaps, bias, consistency, accuracy, and timeliness.
Among these improvements is the development of a National Saltwater Angler Registry, providing a much more efficient and effective route for collecting data.

7. What is the National Saltwater Angler Registry?

The National Saltwater Angler Registry will be a “phone book” of recreational fishermen. People who live in states that already gather information on saltwater anglers through things like saltwater fishing licenses will be automatically included in the registry assuming the state they live in enters into an Memorandum of Agreement to collect and share the necessary information with NOAA. Beginning in 2010, people who live in states without such a program will have to sign up with the Registry each year, and perhaps pay a fee.

When completed, the Registry will help reduce bias and improve the efficiency of catch and effort surveys. It also will give saltwater anglers better representation in the policy-making process.

8. Why is the Registry being created?

The Registry will make it much more efficient to find anglers to survey, and it will include a broader representation of anglers. Instead of asking a random sample of coastal U.S. residents if they’ve gone fishing (what is currently done), the registry will allow surveyors to call upon those who have already identified themselves as saltwater fishermen. For example, if you needed a loaf of bread you wouldn’t randomly visit a hardware store or a post office, you’d go directly to a grocery store. Likewise, if you want to know what anglers are catching, it’s much more effective to go directly to the fishermen and ask.

DarkSkies
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/info_anglers.html

Information for Anglers

TOWARD MORE TRUSTED DATA
The Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP, is a new data collection and reporting effort being implemented by NOAA Fisheries and our partners. Simply put, MRIP is about generating better estimates of saltwater anglers’ catch and effort. Better data allows for more informed decision-making, which in turn will help us preserve and enhance our country’s strong tradition of recreational saltwater fishing.
MRIP is not a silver bullet that will solve all fisheries management issues or on its own settle debates over ocean policy. And implementing a new data program will not necessarily mean that individual fisherman can catch more fish than they can under current regulations. That’s not its purpose.
MRIP is about improving the reliability of fishing data, doing a better job of quantifying the impacts of recreational fishermen, and empowering recreational anglers with better information. It is a tool that will enable everyone to use the same yardstick by which to measure important fisheries management decisions.

WORKING IN PARTNERSHIP
MRIP is being developed from the ground up as a cooperative effort. It involves the input of people who gather the data, people who use the data to make management decisions, and the fishermen, charter boat operators, bait and tackle shops, coastal communities and others who are directly impacted by the those decisions.
MRIP is sharpening the tools already used to gather angler catch and effort data while at the same time exploring new and improved ways of gathering more detailed and timely information. Working hand in hand with fishermen, pilot projects are taking place from docksides to deep water in saltwater recreational fisheries across the country.

ANGLERS AS CITIZEN SCIENTISTS
As eyes and ears on the water, recreational anglers serve a vital role as citizen scientists. Without the feedback and participation of anglers in the data collection and the decision-making process, NOAA can’t gather good data, managers can’t make science-based decisions, and no one can be sure whether policies based on that data reflect the needs of all our constituents.

OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
MRIP begins and ends with the realization that numbers do not exist in vacuum. The data we gather and report, and the way in which we go about collecting and sharing that data, have real impacts on people’s lives and livelihoods, and on the oceans we are all jointly committed to preserving for generations to come. So whether you’re a person who makes their living from fishing, or feeds their family from their catch, or simply just likes to get out on the water once a summer, you have a stake in MRIP’s success and we have a responsibility to you.

captnemo
01-25-2010, 12:02 PM
For people who are still on the fence:

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/faq.html#5
3. How is the new program going to be different?

MRIP is about improving the reliability of fishing data and providing better estimates of anglers’ catch and effort.

MRIP is a tool that will enable all parties to use the same yardstick by which to measure important fishery management decisions.

To facilitate the shift away from single-species management toward an ecosystem-based approach, the Marine Recreational Information Program will be more than a one-size-fits-all survey.

Sounds promising. I'll be waiting to see if they can hold to those words.

plugginpete
01-25-2010, 01:19 PM
I registered.

Monty
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
What am I missing here? If you are an illegal immigrant and any law official realizes this, do not they arrest them on the spot and are they not expelled from our country immediately? This to me would be a no brainer.

DarkSkies
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't think they will be looking to fine anyone for the first year. I think they are merely looking for compliance. I am sure fines will eventually part of the revenues they are looking at. What gets me is we American citizens have to register. If you are illegal I heard they are not making them register.

What am I missing here? If you are an illegal immigrant and any law official realizes this, do not they arrest them on the spot and are they not expelled from our country immediately? This to me would be a no brainer.

Guys, I put calls in today to the NOAA and my contacts at NJDFG to see what their official and unofficial ways of handling this would be. IMO if there are 2 sets of standards it's going to create a lot of friction and bad feelings. If people want to assimilate into our society part of that is trying to comply with all laws.

I'll try to keep you guys posted as I learn more. This has the potential to become a highly charged issue.