PDA

View Full Version : Metal lip darter

FinnsnGrinns
05-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Has anybody try a metal lip on a darter, I will be testing one this weekend and wondering if i wasted my time in doing one.

FinnsnGrinns
05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I tested last night and it moves great but deep, To deep for the beach, i could not set the lip enough to run shallow, will be good for the boat or maybe at the end of the long walk

bunkerjoe4
05-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey, Finns, was talking to a friend, and he mentioned the following:

The lip can have a big influence on how the plug swims and how deep it dives. The size of the lip as well as the placement and angle will change the depth.

On a swimmer, if you place the lip higher, then it will dive deeper. If you place it lower, then will swim more to the surface.

The angle of the lip also changes the depth. The closer the lip angle sits to the centerline of the plug, the deeper it dives. If the lip has a larger angle from the centerline, then it swims less deep.

The size of the lip will also influence the depth. Bigger size will cause it to go deeper. You can also adjust the wire loop in the front by bending it. That also changes things.

So for the darter, to make it dive less deep, you should try to change the angle of the lip or to make the lip smaller or place it lower on the plug.

Hope this helps. I have to tell you, not many people would be brave enough to try a metal lip on a darter. I'm sure with some adjustments you can eventually get it to dive shallower, or maybe you can hit one of the bigger inlets around high tide, and do some parallel casting there to test it. Nice work thinking out of the box. :thumbsup:

FinnsnGrinns
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Bunkerjoe, I am aware of the lip and eye adjustment and i will make a smaller lip and give that a try. Thanks

voyager35
05-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Any pictures of that darter, Finnsngrins?

FinnsnGrinns
05-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Sorry no picture, no camera as of yet.

Rip-Plugger
12-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Bunkerjoe, I am aware of the lip and eye adjustment and i will make a smaller lip and give that a try. Thanks

Finns,

thats a great idea,I bet you'll get it irght.
I'd try just a hint of a lip then work up in sizez i am sure you'll hit it right.

cheers

R-P

Great South Bay Bucktails
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Isnt a Pike essentially a Metal Lip Darter?

plugaholic
01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Isnt a Pike essentially a Metal Lip Darter?

I thought a darter has more movement, so when you put the lip on it like a pikie, you are causing it to dig in, no? :don't know why: