PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Hook

Dreaminofishin
01-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Did a little advance scouting and found myself at Sandy Hook. I liked the look of the cove on the bayside. I think I read an article some time ago about this area and the weakfishing back in the cove. I'm just looking for new areas to spend some time in this spring. I was told the traffic is a mess, but I wouldn't be there during the day on weekends. Anything I should know about?

voyager35
01-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I have not been there too much on foot, but we pass by it all the time on the way down the beach from the Hook or elsewhere. There are some nice flats there prior to the CG station. We always stop there for a ff reading. In the summer that is a great alley to drift for fluke. In the spring we have gotten racer blues and weaks when the small bait comes in.

The spearing usually show up first, so you would need a small pink or white fin-s on a 1/4 to 1/2 oz jighead. We like to drift and jig that whole stretch. If blues are around we switch to bucktails. You being on the shoreline may have to use a slightly heavier jig depending on what stage of the moon and tide you are fishing.

The good thing about that area is you don't have the intense current you have towards the rips. It is also a staging area for many fish and predators before and after high tide. You should look for the fyke nets out there in the spring. Hope this helps, good luck.