PDA

View Full Version : How much risk do you take

plugginpete
01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
How much risk do you take when out on the rock or fishing from the surf? Sometimes we let being careful run away from us when chasing the fish. Do you ever stop and think what would happen if? or Is it worth that cow? Is there any special you do to help protect yourself?

Jackbass
01-21-2010, 05:10 PM
depends on the location and if i am with people. If I am going to attempt getting to rocks further out. I always make sure I am wearing a dry top and neoprene waders. The Dry top keeps the waders from filling and the neoprene keeps me from getting holes in the waders. I have been tossed around in the surf a few times. But i would not stand on the edge of a twenty foot drop with an over head swell. with nothing behind me.

Frankiesurf
01-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Sometimes too much. I know that everyone says if you don't feel comfortable then you have gone too far. What if you still feel like you are safe? That has happened more than a few times.

Waves from nowhere, dropoffs or sick current can all surprise you.

To remedy my foolhardiness I went and got me a wetsuit. Fins are next but that is a coherent semi-calculated risk. The wetsuit enables me to go where I never would have and sometimes shouldn't have (even though I did) before. At least I know I will float and not sink like a stone.

There is one trout spot I just scoped out. It requires going through a tunnel about three hundred feet long while wading. I found my way through with about three inches to spare. I marked on each end the water level so I know the next time whether I can make it or not. If I can't it is only a six lane highway I have to run across in waders. The problem is the next tunnel is too deep to cross through and I can't go over and that is where I want to fish:banghead2:. Hello float tube. I have one that needs to be cleaned but the point is I just put myself in danger when I knew I would make it. One slip or hole and I would have been wet but not dead or injured.

finchaser
01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
none anymore

Pebbles
01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I will never go out on the rocks without korkers anymore. I would have fallen in one time if it were not for Rich holding my hand. He grabed my arm and pulled me up. Thank you Love :kiss:.

DarkSkies
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
^^Considering that I was the one responsible for your safety and I almost let you slip away, it was the least I could do. :embarassed:

I am super goog. :beatin:

finchaser
01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
^^Considering that I was the one responsible for your safety and I almost let you slip away, it was the least I could do. :embarassed:

I am super goog. :beatin:

Remember you said it:D

surfstix1963
01-22-2010, 08:33 AM
I've been at it for awhile and it comes down to common sense use your head,no fish is worth getting injured or possibly dead for (although it happens)I have a family that wants to see me come home.I think the jetties or a rocky shoreline are probably the more common place for things to happen,I have had my fair share of close calls and have smartened up quite a bit.Thats my .02 cents.

rip316
01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I agree with surfstix. I f you have to ask yourself the question than it's probably not worth it.

CharlieTuna
07-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I think it's important to have an exit plan no matter where you are. Think of the worst that can happen, plan how you would resolve it, and you will be a lot safer.