PDA

View Full Version : What ISN'T made in China?

DarkSkies
01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I've heard of and seen all the Made in China threads. The latest is that Zeebass is, and has been, made in China. There aren't many (completely) American made products anymore. Even those that are touted as being made in America can qualify for this designation if only 51% of the components are made in America.

Another slick distinction is:
"Made in Mexico/China/Vietnam, etc.... Assembled in America" :rolleyes:

There are several reasons for this. Without becoming angry, we need to be honest and say that the cost structure in China is lower.

China has a billion people. The last I heard unemployment was somewhere around 10%. That makes for an employee pool of 100 million people who are motivated to do thier jobs with no whining. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

Sure I know the Human Rights abuses are terrible over there. I think there's enough of that for another whole thread if anyone cares to post one up.

DarkSkies
01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Here's something a member sent me:

One Light Bulb at a Time

A physics teacher in high school, once told the students that while one grasshopper on
the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, a billion of them would.

With that thought in mind, read the following, obviously written by a good American ..

Good idea .. . . one light bulb at a time . . . .

Check this out .

I can verify this because I was in Lowes the other day for some reason and
just for the heck of it I was looking at the hose attachments .

They were all made in China .

The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the
hose attachments there. They were made in USA .

Start looking ..

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects
someone else - even their job .

So, after reading this email, I think this lady is on the right track . Let's get behind her!

My grandson likes Hershey's candy . I noticed, though, that it is marked
made in Mexico now. I do not buy it any more.

My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico ... now
I have switched to Crest.

You have to read the labels on everything ....

This past weekend I was at Kroger. I needed 60 W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets .

I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was
an off-brand labeled, "Everyday Value . "

I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats -
they were the same except for the price ..

The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the
thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO
and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this -
the USA in a company in Cleveland , Ohio .

So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use
every day that are made right here ..

So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets . .. . yep, you guessed it,
Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada .

The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA !

I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free
I have been using for years and at almost half the price!

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for
everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA -
the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book
so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time!

Stop buying from overseas companies! We should have awakened a decade ago .

Let's get with the program . . . .. help our fellow Americans keep
their jobs and create more jobs here in the U . S . A .

DarkSkies
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Some thoughts...

Advantages:

1. Lower cost structure for the manufacturer.
2. Remain more competitive
3. Impetus to compete in the global marketplace, where everyone is doing this for survival.
4. Addictive profit margins vs US based manufacturing. :drool:

Disadvantages:

1. Historically variable quality control (China and others are getting better at this though)
2. Balance of trade continues to be negatively skewed toward China.
3. More dollars entering China fuels the economy there as the US economy continues to sputter. Yes, people we do pay a price for this convenience and savings that is not clearly visible from the outset. :learn:
4. This net imbalance of goods, and dollars going to other countries, makes the dollar less attractive to foreign investors. Right now I believe the Chinese are the biggest buyers of US short-term debt because the yield numbers are attractive to them. If this dynamic ever becomes reversed -
(IE. investment yields become more attractive for Chinese yen) our economy could collapse, or continue into a downward spiral from which it would take decades to recover.

DarkSkies
01-24-2010, 03:12 PM
When you specifically mention the VS and ZB reels, IMO it gets sticky. There are many fishermen loyal to these brands. Some of that loyalty used to lie in the perception that a US-made reel was of better quality and had better QC standards.

If those 2 companies can continue to demand high QC standards from their Chinese manufacturing partners and follow up with premium customer service, these companies will hopefully be around for a long time. :thumbsup:

Chinese companies have been getting better, though.

Aluminum machined reels at lower price points are now more common. Sealed components are the next hurdle energetically being worked on in China.

What happens as the standards for Chinese made reels such as Omoto, Hubile and others begins to improve so markedly that more and more fishermen start touting the quality of these Chinese reels? :don't know why:

What about the fishermen who feel priced out of the VS and ZB market, yet are looking for a quality alternative?

DarkSkies
01-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I really wanted to get away from the VS and ZB fanaticism that you sometimes see elsewhere. They are well-made reels, no matter which countries manufacture them. They have millions in marketing and budgetary muscle to help them.

ZB's Rob Koelwyn, even though he may not have millions behind him, should not be counted out by any means. The man is a marketing and engineering genius. Anyone who wants to predict his failure should review all that he has achieved in life. :thumbsup:

You guys and girls can talk about the VS and ZB quality if you want here as well, feel free. I didn't want that to be the sole focus of this thread, though.

Instead, I thought we could use this thread to build up our recognition of quality US-made products.

1. Do they exist?

2. Will they exist in the forseeable future?

3. Can the US remain competitive in a dynamically shifting manufacturing environment?

4. Should we just cut to the chase, shutter all our factories right now and put our heads in the sand? :kooky:

5. How important is premium customer service to you as a consumer?

6. Will you maintain loyalty to a company that has quality control problems but great customer service?

I'd love to hear what you guys and girls think. :thumbsup:

Monty
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Instead, I thought we could use this thread to build up our recognition of quality US-made products.
1. Do they exist?
Yes.

2. Will they exist in the foreseeable future?
Yes.

3. Can the US remain competitive in a dynamically shifting manufacturing environment?
Yes, but it will take time turn the tide.

4. Should we just cut to the chase, shutter all our factories right now and put our heads in the sand?
No. but many US citizens need to change their work ethic. many.

5. How important is premium customer service to you as a consumer?
Very important, in the US it is atrocious. Abominable. Corrupt. MAKES ME SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Will you maintain loyalty to a company that has quality control problems but great customer service?
No.

bluesdude71
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Their website says their products, are made in the USA, and assembled in the USA. I believe they are saying that to differentiate themselves from the other countries that just bring in the products and put their names on it.

A little about them. Hope it's ok to post up the link-
http://zaplures.com/
WELCOME TO THE ZAP CUSTOM LURES™ WEBSITE!
Please, take a few minutes to browse through our selection of the World's finest quality,
100% American-Made, freshwater fishing lures and accessory items.
Our product-selection includes lures specially designed for; Bass, Walleye, Crappie, Northern Pike and Muskie too.

Doublerunner
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
1. Do they exist? yes

2. Will they exist in the forseeable future? yes

3. Can the US remain competitive in a dynamically shifting manufacturing environment? yes but there are so many permits and regulations and insurances needed that it makes it tough. Never mind the rising cost of rent and utilities

4. Should we just cut to the chase, shutter all our factories right now and put our heads in the sand? :kooky: no

5. How important is premium customer service to you as a consumer? By premium do you mean getting someone on the other end of the line that speaks perfect english?

6. Will you maintain loyalty to a company that has quality control problems but great customer service? I will give them a chance to fix their problems once...maybe twice. After that fahget about it

Simp
01-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Dark,

I really try to buy American whenever I can. I definitely look at the "Made In" label. Do I understand why everything is being farmed out to China? Absolutely! Can I blame the companies for doing it? Absolutely not! Do I blame the powers-that-be (Washington) for letting it happen? You bet your *** I do! GIving tax breaks to companies for moving off-shore????? Give me a F'n break! They're lucky I'm not running the show or I'd tax them triple!

It's funny, my Grandfather, at 83, was in WW2 on an aircraft carrier, the USS Cowpens, and survived numerous Kamikaze and submarine attacks, but has owned nothing but TOYOTA trucks since about '86! Some things just do not make sense. But he gets a free pass.;)

bababooey
01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
"What ISN'T made in China? "

Big boobs?:naughty:

Simp
01-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Good point.:thumbsup:

finchaser
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Custom rods I build on Lamiglas USA blanks with FUJI components from Japan. IMO blow away way the Chinese factory S**T

cowherder
01-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Here's something,
American Pride can never be made in China!:thumbsup:

SLAYER25
01-26-2010, 07:51 PM
my girl anit made in china

fishinmission78
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
my girl anit made in china
Nice!:drool:

http://www.eastabogatackle.com/aboutpage.html#pgtop

The BogaGrip is designed to promote "catch and release fishing," as it will land, handle, and weigh fish quickly and simultaneously without injury to the fish. The BogaGrip also affords an easy opportunity to inspect and take pictures of the fish. Since it doesn't wipe off the protective slime nor puncture the fish, and allows the fish to be quickly returned to the water, fish that are handled and released using the BogaGrip should be more likely to survive.
The BogaGrip is particularly good for handling fish in cold weather, or hard-to-handle fish such as toothy fish, slimy fish, or fish that are likely to fin or cut a fisherman. It also keeps a fisherman's hand at a safer distance from hooks.
http://www.eastabogatackle.com/bogajaws.jpg
The BogaGrip is generally tube shaped, with one end serving as the grip and scales, and the other end with a pair of jaws. It has a trigger sleeve that slides along the main tube, serving as an opening and closing means as well as a lock. The grip consists of a sleeve tube covered with a non-slip grip. The grip sleeve slides over the main tube and is linked to it through the scale spring. The main tube has a precision scale embossed in it to match each individual scale spring, and the scale is calibrated using certified weights to insure accuracy within one increment. You can send your BogaGrip to IGFA (954-927-2628 Dania Beach, FL) where they can certify it for world-record catches.
http://www.eastabogatackle.com/midsection.jpg
The BogaGrip is made in the USA of USA-made materials. All metal parts of the BogaGrip are made of 300 series stainless steel, with the exception of the precision scale spring, which is 17-7 PH stainless steel. All plastic parts are made from acetal, which is a high-performance engineering thermoplastic that is used in unlubricated bearing applications. Acetal is tough and resilient and is very resistant to UV light. Constructing the BogaGrip of these materials makes it very strong and resistant to conditions encountered while fishing in fresh or saltwater.
http://www.eastabogatackle.com/handlelo.jpg
In use, the fisherman will hold the grip sleeve, and using his index finger or thumb will pull back the trigger sleeve, which causes the jaws to open. The jaws then are placed around the tip of the lower jawbone of the fish, and the trigger sleeve is released. Two light coil springs push the trigger sleeve down, causing the jaws to lock shut. The fish then is lifted, with the fish's weight causing the jaws to be pulled shut even tighter while the trigger sleeve is being continuously pushed down by the two light coil springs to lock the jaws in a progressively tighter position. This self-closing and locking ability allows the angler to maintain a secure grip on the grip sleeve without exerting any locking effort. If the fish thrashes, the main tube is allowed to spin inside the grip tube while the scale spring acts as a shock absorber. The fish's weight is checked by reading the point that the main tube's embossed scale has been pulled down to inside the grip tubing. The fish is released by placing it down in the water, boat or on the bank, etc., and again pulling back on the trigger.

rockhopper
01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Custom rods I build on Lamiglas USA blanks with FUJI components from Japan. IMO blow away way the Chinese factory S**T

How long you been building rods finchaser?

ledhead36
02-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Quality jewelry is not made in China. You never know the % of gold you are getting. Thats why I don't trust the shops on Canal Street in Chinatown