PDA

View Full Version : Sand spikes vs tube spikes

madcaster
01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
I’m getting spring fever and trying to get my stuff ready. I’m sure this isn’t the first post on this , but what are the pros and cons of a sand spike or tube ?
Not sure what to get ?:don't know why:

storminsteve
01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Sand spikes used to be the easiest part of your gear, not so any more. You can get PVC, aluminum, a combo of both, or the ultimate one called supersandspike for $130 (for 1):wow:

PVC, pros and cons
Pro-
You can take it anywhere and it's not such a tragedy if you accidentally lose it.
You can make them yourself using 2"pvc and a circular saw
Great for sandy areas
Lasts forever unless you bash the top with a rock too hard.
Inexpensive.

Con-
Don't work that great in rocky or muddy areas.
Harder to bash into the ground as you get older.
They have to be solidly in the ground if you get a big fish or you might lose everything.

Aluminum, or the combo ones
Pro-
Can fish them in muddy or rocky areas with better results.
Great for back bay sedge banks during the spring
They may have a handle or foot peg on them to make it easier to bush in.
They will stay put if you get a bigger fish. Less likely to lose your gear. (That's why you should stay close to your rod at all times anyway)

Con-
Cost more $$
Some of the cheaper ones have thin spikes. You have to be careful the angles you put them in the ground at or you could bend them.
Heavier to carry if you have a few of them and are walking long distancs.

Super Sandspike-
I can't even describe this one, at $130 I think it should sell itself.:wow:
Not for me.:kooky:

Hope this helps.

Frankiesurf
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Go cheap. You should only be using a spike when you are re-baiting or unhooking a fish. Unless your sandspike has a beer holder, then you can use it all the time but only for your beer.

Save a fish, hold your rod.

If you do need one, RocksandReds on here makes them. Good guy, good spikes.

bababooey
01-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Go cheap. You should only be using a spike when you are re-baiting or unhooking a fish.

What he said. They're not that complicated, as was said you can make your own.
http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/Surf_Fishing/How_to_make_a_PVC_Sand_Spike.htm

The only thing I disagree with in the above article is 3' is too short if you are pushing them deep. I would go with 5'.

DarkSkies
01-26-2010, 07:39 AM
If you do need one, RocksandReds on here makes them. Good guy, good spikes.

Madcaster, RocksandReds makes some great spikes. You won't find a sturdier one for the money. The spike part is twice as thick as the ones you see in the stores. Completely goog tested by me, and they pass with flying colors. :D

Send him an e-mail if ya have any questions. Check em out:
Here's a thread with pics and prices...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3414

"Took some video today of RnR sand spike being used. I like it, it's sturdy easy to carry, and holds it's place." :thumbsup:

Good product, sturdy construction. :clapping:

Pebbles
01-26-2010, 08:58 AM
I like the RnR's spikes. For me they are sturdier yet easier to get into the sand. They are also lighter to carry.

madcaster
01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the advise …going to try to make my own