PDA

View Full Version : NJ to have its own Saltwater fishing license

bababooey
01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Well it's official now.

http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishing/index.ssf/2010/01/marine_fisheries_council_suppo.html

Marine Fisheries Council supports saltwater license

By Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html)

January 26, 2010, 2:10PM

The following is a release from the N.J. Marine Fisheries Council relating to their vote in favor of a saltwater fishing license at their January meeting:

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP - The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council, in a split vote and after a heated debate, voted Thursday night to support a saltwater fishing license.

Council Chairman Gil Ewing, who pitched the license as a way to fund marine fisheries programs, said the annual license fee would likely be in the $15 to $25 range.

Council also supports lowering size limits for striped bass to 24 inches. Click here for that story. (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/article_c8a06b49-2b3c-5ed6-b1e7-859478c0976e.html)

State legislation would be needed to institute the license requirement, targeted for next year. There was no exact estimate of how much money it would generate, but there are an estimated 600,000 anglers, some from other states, who fish here.

Ewing outlined past attempts to get the state Legislature to fund marine programs that were all unsuccessful. Anglers pay $100 million in taxes to New Jersey each year but the state spends only $1.7 million on fisheries programs, far less than other East Coast states.

Ewing said states such as North Carolina have larger fish quotas because they have research that supports them. New Jersey has been shut down in some fisheries, most recently with tautog and later this year possibly with sharks, due to a lack of research or manpower to conform to mandates from the federal government.

"I know a saltwater license is a bitter pill to swallow. I was against it when I first came on council but I've seen what we lose and what we need. I'm tired of losing on fisheries both recreationally and commercially," Ewing said.

The vote on a motion by **** Herb was 7-2. It was opposed by Joe Rizzo and Ed Goldman.

Rizzo and Goldman supported the first part of the motion that called for the council to set up a committee to research a saltwater fishing license and other funding options, with recommendations due at the May meeting.

They opposed the second part of Herb's motion calling for supporting a saltwater license "in concept" and sending letters to state lawmakers, including Gov.-elect Chris Christie, stating the stance and asking that council be involved in the process.

Some fishermen at the meeting also questioned the need for a committee if a decision to support the license is already made.

Herb said there is a time problem. The federal government is forcing anglers to register with a national saltwater registry this year. It is free in 2010 but the federal government may charge a fee in 2011. States with their own license fees in place do not have to pay the federal fee.

"You don't need a saltwater license to comply with the registry," argued Tony Bogan of the group United Boatman.

Bogan also complained that those wanting a license opposed a proposed bill by state Sen. Jeff Van Drew, D-Cape May, Cumberland, Atlantic, to create a free New Jersey registry to comply with the federal mandate. Van Drew argued if the state set up a registry it would not have to pay a federal fee. His bill died in committee in December.

The license proposal also was opposed by the local group Recreational Fishing Alliance, or RFA. Adam Nowitsky of RFA argued New Jersey anglers pay $242 million in taxes, including $100 million to the state, and only get a return of about 2 percent in funding.

"I keep hearing license, license, license; the real problem is in regard to funding," Nowitsky said.

Fred MacFarland, president of the Cape May County Party and Charter Boat Association, said he represented a coalition of 8,000 anglers who support the license.

"The federal registration is only free for this year. We're running out of time. Several fisheries are in jeopardy right now," he said.

Herb said the state lost 40 percent of its tautog catch one year because it did not have the research or even the manpower to get paperwork done in time. The state may face a shark moratorium later this year for failing to adopt new management measures in time. Herb said the value of New Jersey's fish harvest is No. 3 on the East Coast but the state is No. 12 in funding.

The coalition's main concern is money paid doesn't get raided by lawmakers for other programs.

Dave Chanda, who heads the state Division of Fish and Wildlife, said fees paid by freshwater anglers and hunters for more than a century have never been raided by lawmakers. There have been attempts but because this would jeopardize federal funding for the programs they were never successful.

"We get $1.7 million from New Jersey to manage marine fisheries. We need about $20 million to do the job right," Chanda said.
Council member Eleanor Bochenek expressed concern funding from the license could lead to a reduction in existing state funding for some programs.

Bochenek, however, voted for the license along with Herb, Ewing, Patrick Donnelly, Erling Berg, Frances Puskas and Scott Bailey

The committee will report back to council at the May 13 meeting.

DarkSkies
01-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Well it's official now.

By Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html)

January 26, 2010, 2:10PM

The following is a release from the N.J. Marine Fisheries Council relating to their vote in favor of a saltwater fishing license at their January meeting:

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP - The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council, in a split vote and after a heated debate, voted Thursday night to support a saltwater fishing license.

I had read that NJ and Maine were 2 of the last Coastal states to get their act together on this. One of the biggest issues is to keep the $$ in NJ. Lots of people are skeptical that these funds won't get raided.

Look up Wallup-Breaux funding, either here or on Google, to see that if they do raid the $$ they lose Federal funds for many programs.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem likely to me they will raid these funds for other than the intended use.

I think there will always be people unhappy with the way these decisions unfold. They have their stated reasons. I respect that. But the bottom line is the state of NJ was doing nothing, while other states got their ducks in a row. We had to do something here.

cowherder
01-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Good deal!

gjb1969
01-27-2010, 02:14 AM
:2flip::beatin:just more money down the sh@@ hole if u ask me look at all the thing in this state that need to get done we pay so much in taxes and nothing get done and if u look there are other fisheries that are closed down now what did the money get them in florida no red fish no snook and thats just two i rember off the top of my head so lets see if it goes like most thing in nj pay a lot and get the shaft

finchaser
01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
already posted

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5773

finchaser
01-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Surprise
They can do this in 1 meeting to collect money,so they get it before the feds do next year. If NJ has a license, we need not sign up for the registry again.

But to save the bass which was discusssed in December at the same meeting, it will take 2 to 3 years, for new bass regulations to even to be thought about:2flip:

Mike O
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
So now I have to purchase a license and pay 50 dollars to fish at night on the Hook! They can kiss my F***in A**. You all know as well as I do that most of that money will never be used for the purpose of the fishing industry. Why don't they take it from all the money that is made in AC. You can say goodbye to the party boat industry too. I will rebel on this one at all cost! We all should. I'M REALLY PISSED

Mike O

Frankiesurf
02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
The vote on a motion by **** Herb was 7-2. It was opposed by Joe Rizzo and Ed Goldman.

First off, this guys name is D ick Herb? That is terrible. Sorry D ick for your terrible childhood.

Anyway. Is being the rebel really worth it? Look at it this way. In NY the fee is $10. No big deal really. If I happen to get checked and don't have my license the fine is $250. Doesn't really make much sense to be a rebel does it? I know, I know, who is going to catch me I never see DEC. Believe me you will when this license goes into place.

If the license is structured like the NY license, and most states are very similar, then the party boats would pay the state a flat fee for the year and all anglers on board would be covered by that. In NY the fee is $400.

Why do people get outraged at issues they do not know about? All you need to do is ask a question, no hissy fit necessary.

Mike O
02-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Yeah and I bet you are one of people that will be stuffing their pockets on this one.

Mike O

Mike O
02-02-2010, 09:06 AM
First off I apologize to Frank for the previous post, but I have been fishing NJ beaches for almost 30 years. One of the reasons I fish is to get away from all the crap that I hear on the news and in the papers, and particularly the politics. This license thing stinks of it! I have always complied with all the regs. and size limits all these years and released more fish then I have kept with conservation in mind. I was once even given a summons for parking on a street in Oakhurst in the middle of the night, after Labor Day. My car was the only one on the street. Another time in Asbury park I was almost mugged by 3 young punks while fishing the "flume" in the middle of the night. If it was not for the 4 foot gaff I carried back then, I might not be telling you this right now. Where were the cops then? I started fishing exclusively @ Sandy Hook shortly after that incident. I was in fishermens heaven, then came the $50 dollar night fishing pass. I relented for awhile but ultimately gave in for the love of the sport and the peace of mind it gives me just to be out there, forget about catching fish. What is next? A fee for recycling my old fishing line! I have put my time in and I do not think it is right to have to pay to fish in the ocean. It is not stocked like some other bodies of water in the state.
I for one have tried to conserve the species that I fish for without all the politics that surround it. Again I apologize for the previous post and I hope you can understand my frustration.

Mike O

DarkSkies
02-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Mike, your frustration was the thing I got from reading your post. I think I remember a post from you awhile ago that talked about your frustration with the $50 night pass at SH. If I recall correctly, you're one of the guys that remember when it was free. That must have been a bad transition then to paying that $50.

The sad part of living in NJ, NY or one of these coastal states in the north is that we have taxes and fees on everything. After awhile the fees add up to a big financial burden for people who love the outdoors.

There's a March on Washington on Feb 24. That isn't just about the sea bass, or fluke. etc. It's a March designed to tell Washington politicians that fishermen are sick and tired of the way things are. :2flip:

I'm not happy with the license fees either. If we were guaranteed the fees would go into more fishermen projects and enforcement, I would be a lot more agreeable.

Unfortunately, to live in this state, most people accept whatever fees are imposed on them. I don't think fighting the license fees would be effective. That doesn't mean we can't be pro-active in raising awareness about where the money goes.

When they spend money in this state, it's ours.

We worked hard to earn it.

Some government, state and federal, is putting itself into hock because it spends more than actual revenues. A business running itself this way would be declared bankupt.

I invite you to use that justifiable anger on Feb 24th in Washington, Mike. If you can't make it, why not consider supporting one of the many fishermens' groups in the state who will fight for us?

It won't change the fact that we now have to pay for a license, I agree. But between the fishery closures, loss of beach access, and other restrictive issues fishermen face, sometimes it seems we give up our rights too easily.

I think if politicians knew that fishermen would fight as hard on issues as the NRA does, they would involve us more in the process and show the hundreds of thousands of fishermen in this state more respect. :learn:

Unfortunately, very few people will reach the level of outrage you have reached, Mike.

Even fewer will be motivated to do something about it. :don't know why:

Please think of joining us on the 24th, and remember to use your frustration in protest whenever you vote in an election. :thumbsup:

gjb1969
02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
i can hear the toilet flushing now can u:beatin::2flip::beatin::burn: i am broke as he$$ now i have pay money to do the one thing that i have done since i was a child its a dam shame :burn: all this crap that gose on with the state is the reason i quit fishing fresh pay for that with the way they do things hell no but this time i will not quit all this bs just makes me sick u work hard just live and now just look around just to relax u have to pay its not right :burn::burn:next thing u will have pay to breath the air they all suck a$$ i would not pi$$ on them if they were on fire :2flip::burn:

Frankiesurf
02-02-2010, 05:44 PM
I hear your frustration MikeO. I am not happy about it either but paying the few bucks is better than the alternative. I have been buying a freshwater license for 20 years now, it doesn't even phase me anymore because I know where the money is being spent. On making my fishing experience more enjoyable by stocking lakes and rivers, creating new access, keeping areas clean etc. As long as the saltwater license is kept in and used for the Marine Conservation fund then I am fine with it.

Dark is right about being ever vigilante about knowing where the money is going. That will be the only satisfaction you may get out of the fee.

Fighting it is a moot point. This has been fought against since the idea came about in, I think, 1982. The states are instituting their own licenses so the federal government doesn't get the money. If they did you wouldn't be seeing that money anymore. It would be spread so thin that it would just disappear.

So, if you look at it this way, giving it to the state is a much better option.

Just so you know Mike, no offense taken. The only thing lining my pockets is the sand from the hole in the ground I was working in all day.

Mike O
02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
You know Dark, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm not about to waste my time kissing any political ***. When does it stop? My son is 22yrs old and I am lucky i can get him to go fishing with me maybe 2 times during the season. He has never caught a fish in the surf, sure we all have to put in our time. But now he is going to have to pay! To me that sucks! To be honest I'm not even sure if he likes it or not, but he does it anyway just to have some quality time with the old man. I don't think anyone should have to pay for that, do you? Maybe they will have a special free pass. They can call it the "Quality Time Fishing Pass". Do you think that would fly? They are turning a relaxing passtime into a privelige, like your drivers license! And guess what, it's not gonna stop there. So you go ahead and try and change it. I will be rooting for you. The politicians have already made up there greedy little minds. I know I will knuckle under and get the f in license and pay the 50 to fish on the hook in spite of my stubborness, but I'm not going to like it, not one bit. See you on the beach.

Mike O

Mike O
02-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Frankie, this one is for you. I don't fish in fresh water and do not care to. The ocean is not stocked with striped bass. And like I said in an earlier post, I only fish at the Hook @ night and already pay for that privelige. And the last time I checked that was a national park. So why do I have to purchase a state license to fish in a national park that is run by the federal govt? Please explain.

Mike O

Frankiesurf
02-02-2010, 06:41 PM
You must buy the license to fish in a National Park because it is in New Jersey. You are still governed by state laws even in a national park. Getting the license is now the law, well in 2011 anyway. Getting registered with the federal government is the law NOW.

If you want the federal license then by all means go ahead and get it. It will be more expensive than the state license next year and who knows where that money goes. Again, it's the law.

I could personally care less whether anyone gets it or not. Your fine isn't coming out of my pocket.

Since i can't find anything at this very moment on where the funding for the NJ License is going, I found a little excerpt from the NJ DEP website. (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/registrymessage09.htm) Enjoy.

New Jersey angler registry fees to the federal government could be as much as $25 million a year — six times the amount of our annual funding for New Jersey marine fisheries management. Registry fees paid to the federal treasury would not benefit New Jersey anglers or marine resource management in New Jersey.

This comes at a time of increasing requirements to comply with coast-wide fisheries management plans to avoid closures of fisheries in state waters. Today there are 22 coast-wide fisheries management plans for New Jersey species. In 1988, there were none. Yet marine fisheries management funding in our state, when adjusted for inflation, is essentially the same 20 years later.

Competition amongst Atlantic Coast states for shares of coast-wide fisheries resources is increasing at the same time. The winners are often the states with the best scientific data and competing states are spending two to seven times more per angler than New Jersey to collect fisheries data. The consequence of not being able to keep pace was evident in recent tautog harvest restrictions placed on New Jersey anglers because our data was not sufficient to argue against the restrictions. The same could soon be true for winter flounder. Competition for marine resources will continue to increase in the future as will research and monitoring requirements to responsibly manage the state’s marine resources and keep recreational fisheries open to New Jersey anglers.

The National Saltwater Angler Registry poses both a challenge and an opportunity. The challenge is to create a state directory of marine anglers without sending angler fees to the federal government. The opportunity is to ensure that there are stable marine fisheries populations and fishing opportunities for our children and grandchildren to enjoy.

Why are you complaining to me anyway? I am a civil servant in NY. This whole thing could not have been a surprise to you. If you cared tht much then you must have gotten some information from your local senator or legislature before this all went down right? After you've already gotten beaten up is not the time to start the fight.

surfwalker
02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I try to keep an open mind on all the new things that come into play, but it's hard to do. Yes, I get aggrevated when at one time I could get a monthly hang tag night pass for nothing, then it was $25 for the same thing, then it went up to $50. It'll probably keep going up in the future.

Do I have to get it? Yes. Do I like having to get it? No. I've talked to many people in authority about the fee and gotten a lotta different answers, none clear cut, all dancing with the tongue. I will tell you that I haven't seen any change in the service over the years. Enough of the Hook.

State saltwater license- What was once free now has a fee. I hope that the monies do go into research and not pilfered away by some other agency in the government. But my faith in this happening is not strong. Yeah, I'll pay for the license, but it doesn't mean that I have to take it for granted that that's the way it's supposed to be.

Again, I'm trying not to be negative, but a lot of things look great on paper, but they have to be followed through. I'll give them that chance for now.

Mike O
02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Frankie, this is an open forum. Your the one that seemed to have the answers earlier on. I guess your well went dry! And besides why should anyone on this forum have to be an expert politician to know that we are getting ripped off! I don't know anything about you, but by your own hand you are a "Vice President". In the political world that is some sort of rank, is it not? I sense that in some way you are for this license thing. I'm not looking for answers. I am well aware of the fact that the political machine has spoken, I will comply, but I'm not happy about it nor are most fisherman. If you live in New York I guess you already have to pay to fish in the ocean, I don't even know that for sure and frankly I don't care because I don't fish there. Misery does not always love company like the saying goes. We all know that NJ needs money here. This is just another way for the politico's to get in our pockets. And yes they have been talking about this for years, but the state of the economy is always a good time to justify something like this. I don't know about you, but I cannot wait to start fishing so I can forget about all this crap.

Mike O

DarkSkies
02-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't know anything about you, but by your own hand you are a "Vice President". In the political world that is some sort of rank, is it not? I sense that in some way you are for this license thing.... . If you live in New York I guess you already have to pay to fish in the ocean, I don't even know that for sure and frankly I don't care because I don't fish there. Misery does not always love company like the saying goes. We all know that NJ needs money here. This is just another way for the politico's to get in our pockets. And yes they have been talking about this for years, but the state of the economy is always a good time to justify something like this. I don't know about you, but I cannot wait to start fishing so I can forget about all this crap.

Mike O

Mike, Frankie is nothing but a troublemaker! :burn: He starts trouble everywhere he goes, and boy does he know how to irritate people! I think we should shoot him at sunrise! ;)

Seriously, let me tell ya something about Frankie. I first met him at the now historic Brookhaven protests when that LI town closed Shoreham Beach. I had the (misfortune) ;) of sitting at the same table as him and Eisey. :HappyWave:

Since then I've gotten to know Frank a lot better. He's what you might call an activist for fishermens' rights. He's the guy who has gone to the ASFMC meetings and tried to understand what the hell they were talking about. Believe me, if you've ever been to one of those meetings, they're as exciting as watching paint dry.

In addition to that, he's one of the few people I know who takes the time to understand half the legal crap that comes out of NY, NJ, Coastal states, and Washington when it comes to fisheries and fisheries laws.

He tries to make sense of that stuff, and then interpet it so fishermen will understand it.

He's also the Vice President of the NY Chapter of Stripercoastsurfcasters, http://www.stripercoastsurfcasters.us/forum/index.php
They're a fishing club with an eye on conservation. I'm proud to say I'm also one of the founding members of that club.

He does a helluva job in that capacity. IMO he's more committed to learning about the issues we fishermen face than 80% of the guys out there. :clapping:

That's why you see a guy who lives in LI over here on a NJ thread. He really does try. In fact, he called me last night looking for the specific number of that hastily passed resolution that will become the NJ fishing license. He wanted to present that info to you so you might understand things better. The politicians have had that option for years. The only reason they passed it so quickly is so they will get that licensing revenue instead of the Feds. Any anger at that issue should be directed toward our NJ legislature and the failure of fishermen to pay attention to things like that when they're up for discussion.

Let's face it, most guys just want to fish. :fishing: That's fine, but as we lose more of our fishing rights and priveleges, it becomes more important to be aware of what legislators and Federal agencies are doing with respect to our fishing.

The one honest criticism I want to put out there about Frankie is that he's not as diplomatic as I try to be. In the past he's let this penchant for telling others exactly how he feels cause some friction with others in the fishing world. I have seen some maturity over the past year. I think he's learning that if you want to convince someone of something, you need to present it to them in as many ways as it takes for them to see it through their own eyes.

However, he's still a little rough around the edges. His honesty is too intense.Sometimes he offends people as well. Believe me, there are times when I want to smack him upside his head. But I'm still proud to call him a friend. He reminds me of the way I was when I was younger.

He doesn't play phony political games with people. Though I wish he would be more diplomatic, if he came back twice to answer you in this thread, I can assure you he values your opinion, though it might not always seem that way.

I think you guys would get along if you fished together. I hope we all get the chance to do that this year. :thumbsup:

strikezone31
02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
The government has a problem not spending our dollars they way it is scheduled to be used. There are too many programs out there that have been raided to pay for other programs.

Maybe they should be investigated for a ponzi scheme.

As said the only thing to do now is to be vigilant on how the money is spent.

Mike O
02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Dark, your such the peacemaker. And Frank sounds just like me! I'm still rough around the edges. At 57 I still haven't learned to be any different. I don't know how my wife has put up with me for 35yrs, but she is still around.
I would obviously rather be fishing and posting about my weekly catches then writing about this crap. I'll be out of your hair and everyone elses as soon as the bite is on. Talk to you soon, you too Frank.

Mike O

DarkSkies
02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Mike, respectful discussions are always welcome here. You're not in anyone's hair. You were irritated about a valid issue and weighed in. My diplomacy skills are a work in progress. My biggest goal is to challenge fishermen to learn more and keep informed. I get angry about this stuff too, but I'm learning to channel that anger by helping to raise awareness.

As for the spring, I didn't realize your son never caught a fish in the salt. Maybe we can change that. Check your pms. :HappyWave:

Frankiesurf
02-03-2010, 09:04 PM
No Mike, the well hasn't run dry. Negotiating the various governmental websites is not an easy thing to do. NJ.gov seems a bit harder than NY which isn't too easy either.

I am for this registry as long as it works out as planned and can give some real and useful information about the state of our fisheries and actual data on the various bio-masses that we both fish for and that these fish feed on. Notice I said registry. The federal government never stated that each individual state needed to charge for the license. They just stated that each state must comply with the registry regulations.

I do understand that there are administrative costs that are involved with taking this on. That is a given. Most states are very cash strapped these days. Many that are in compliance with the registry considered making it free to the public but due to tight budgetary restrictions none of them went through with it. Giving away this income to the Federal government was never an option.

I think $10-$25 a year per angler may be excessive. As long as the extra money is earmarked to benefit the marine fisheries and studies then that is fine. Making sure it goes to where it is supposed to is the next battle and for that I must say I have a lot to learn.

The license is a fact that won't be reversed. I am not happy about it but, just like going to work every morning, I do what I gotta do.

We will be fishing a few months from now. I will try and keep it together till then.:thumbsup:

bababooey
08-13-2012, 11:55 PM
This is one of the things that concerns me about the implementation of the SW registry in NJ. If the money goes where it should, fine. But what if it doesn't? Like it has been mis-appropriated in Md

8/14/2012
Press Release from Stripers Forever
Over a period of 17 years, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) illegally used more than $3 million in Wallop-Breaux funds to finance a tagging program for the state's commercial striped bass fishery according to Stripers Forever, a conservation organization seeking game fish status for the wild striped bass.
The Wallop-Breaux Act, administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), mandates that funds raised via excise taxes on sporting equipment be used to pay for wildlife and sport fish restoration programs, including the enhancement of recreational fishing opportunities.
An investigation by Ken Hastings, a Maryland-based Stripers Forever board member, found that grant requests and year-end reports submitted to FWS by DNR from 1994 to 2011 did not include any mention of DNR's commercial striper tagging program. The misuse of Wallop-Breaux funds and the cover-up was finally stopped last year by DNR's current management.
"The investigation by Ken Hastings proves that anglers in Maryland unwittingly paid a large portion of the commercial fishermen's regulatory costs for 17 years," says Brad Burns, president of Stripers Forever. "It's also true that the recreational striped bass fishery in Maryland provides more jobs and much greater economic value to the state than the commercial fishery does.
"The striped bass resource has declined dramatically all along the coast over the past six years," Burns adds. "The commercial harvest – both legal and illegal – and overly liberal recreational bag limits both contribute to the problem. We need to make the wild striper a game fish by stopping all commercial harvest. Doing so would allow striped bass to be managed sustainably for anglers from Maine to North Carolina, thus providing the greatest socio-economic value possible to the coastal states from the fishery."