PDA

View Full Version : when do they feed the most?

porgy75
01-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Would you say bass feed more at night or during the day?

clamchucker
01-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Porgy when you are talking about the surf bass are low light feeders, so you would most likely find them on the feed right before dawn or before dusk. As dusk settles in it takes their eyes a while to adjust to the darkness so they may stop for an hour or so. That is why most guys fish for them at night.

When you find them feeding during the day, that is usually because the bait concentration is so overwhelming that it overrides their primary drive to feed in the low light. Usually, you will find them on large schools or bait in the bay or ocean in the day.

There are always exceptions to every rule. What I am trying to impress on you here is if you want to have more success from shore, fish the night tides. If you are in a boat, look for the heavy bait concentrations. You should find a bass or 2 underneath, lazily eating.

gjb1969
01-30-2010, 09:35 PM
well fish will feed more if they are not botherd by anything at night no boats to harass them no one wadeing tossing things at them

finchaser
01-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Depends on the time of year and the bait they are feeding on

surfstix1963
01-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Depends on the time of year and the bait they are feeding on
I agree w/ that Finchaser.During migration they eat as much as they can to pack on the energy to make the trip.This will be day or night feeding they just need food.

Right before the spawn & during it they are not eating much if anything, they have other business to attend to.A short period after the spawn they will not feed either.( I believe this is when they are re-entering saltwater from the fresh they have spawned in & they need to aclimate to the salinity,PH and Temp. change of the water and get their senses together.)

After this period is over the feed bag is on they need to eat because they need to re-up on energy & put some calories back in their bodies this is chow down time during the Spring.This is normally a day/night feeding also.

After all this is done they start to spread out some.There strong desire for feeding has been met.This is usually late Spring early Summer. They start eating smaller meals more often, I believe they are now feeding in structure,by the tides and following a more lazy bass like routine.They are more comfy feeding at night now and to a much lesser extent during the day when they are just picking off food as it passes by.The water is warming and offers good fishing on the incoming when the water is cooler and more oxygenated.

And the feedbag resumes on the fall migration and starts all over again.Just my thoughts on the situation.:huh:

jonthepain
01-31-2010, 11:51 AM
I think they also feed more during the light change cuz the bait don't see as hot then. Makes it easier (conservation of energy) to grab them.