PDA

View Full Version : question of morals

hookedonbass
02-03-2010, 08:00 PM
You’re in a tournament with your son for the first time. Grand prize is $1000 Scholarship. You were smart and brought different kinds of bait. The only thing that seemed to be working was clams. There are two kids on either side of you who have no clams, only bunker. Would you share and teach a lesson on "it's not how you win but how you play the game" or say too bad hoping your kid wins the prize?

gjb1969
02-03-2010, 08:25 PM
i would help the kids thats just me :thumbsup:

storminsteve
02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Your children look to you as an example whether you behave badly or the right way. I would share the clams with the other kids. I hate fishing tournaments and the crazy competition. If I was in one the lessons learned would be more important than winning.

lostatsea
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Help the kids, share the clams. What kids learn when they are young stays with them for life.

surfstix1963
02-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Help the kids 100 % not a negative thought even came to mind.

Monty
02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Easy one, help kids.

rockhopper
02-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Honestly, I'd help the kids but would not let the opportunity for a side comment to the dad.

surfwalker
02-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I would share my bait with those kids. I enjoy catching, naturally, but I also get a kick outta seeing others catch.

clamchucker
01-16-2017, 10:14 AM
I would help the kids to catch fish. There is too much emphasis on number one nowadays. kids can be happy even when they get 2nd or 3rd place. It is the recognition that comes with getting an achievement they should focus on. Winning isn't everything. My two cents

clamchucker
01-16-2017, 10:17 AM
One thing that is related to this that I would like to point out. I have seen some tournaments where the Dad or Uncle hooked the fish at first, and then let the child reel it in, claiming it as the child's fish. I have taken my grandchildren fishing many times and would never dream of doing that. If they want the achievement, they have to go to the rod, pick it up, and reel it in, even if it is difficult for them. you don't always have your parents or grandparents around to do things for you. That's the only way they're going to learn, doing it for themselves.