PDA

View Full Version : Wader stink

fishlipper
05-04-2008, 02:20 PM
:upck:Been out a lot lately, and my waders have seen better days. I patched with urethane,over and over, it's time for new ones, my only spare pair came from the 1960's, little too big for me.Plus, I want to get a new pair right before I go to Montauk. I know I'll need perfect ones for the cold water.

In the meantime, the net result of wearing waders a lot during a 2 week period is that they stink, can stand up on their own.

I know, many will say; "you idiot, just dry them out, turn them inside out, air them out" I do all that , and it ain't workin. Getting ready to go out now, waders haven't dried since yesterday.

Doesn't matter when you're with the guys fishing, but if you ever bring someone with you who doesn't fish a lot, it's bad when you are conscious of your own smell inside them.

Nothing more pungent than smelly waders. I got used to it, but know they must be bad when I go in a WaWa or Quik chek to get coffee, and the people in back of me stay 10 feet away from me until I leave the counter area. :whoo:

So who out there is affected by the smelly waders, and how do you deal with it? http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

wish4fish
05-04-2008, 02:37 PM
i hear ya, bro. i'm a smelly wader dude and proud,lol. http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

albiealert
05-05-2008, 12:00 AM
So if people are staying away from you, maybe you're like the guy who doesn't wash for 3 weeks, maybe you like that stink?

storminsteve
01-31-2010, 02:57 PM
maybe:D

buckethead
01-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Try washing them out with vinegar and water. Does wonders for mine.

surfstix1963
01-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Try boxes of baking soda when not in use or a cup of coffee grinds (unused)they both will absorb odors.If it is dampness from leaks use a damp rid product.Or buy new waders.

gjb1969
01-31-2010, 05:52 PM
i say this we are anglers we fish so what if the yuppies dont like it go back to the burbs :HappyWave:

Frankiesurf
02-01-2010, 06:18 PM
My neoprenes reek. They are at least 12 years old. The only person who I care when they complain about me needing to shower and burn my clothes is my wife. Only because if I don't listen she will keep complaining. otherwise :2flip:

dogfish
02-01-2010, 06:35 PM
otherwise :2flip:

I like the stink of my waders in the morning.:drool:

Frankiesurf
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Then you have issues ,my friend.:kooky:

dogfish
02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Then you have issues ,my friend.:kooky:
What, you never sat in a room, smelt your own fart, and inhaled the aroma?:rolleyes: Tell the truth now -

Monty
02-01-2010, 07:54 PM
My waders were almost grossing me out the last few trips last year. Almost.

Simp
02-03-2010, 08:53 AM
what, you never sat in a room, smelt your own fart, and inhaled the aroma?:rolleyes: Tell the truth now -

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

gjb1969
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
i clean mine with hot soapy water lemon sent gets the smell out i find that my heavy waders hold a lot more smell than my lite ones do but the lemon works just the same:thumbsup:

RocksandReds
02-04-2010, 01:15 AM
wool lite detergent works wonders also. Fill up the tube throw in some wool lite soak waders inside and out (scrub off some bunker/fish slime with brush if needed) usually is:d, rinse and dry.

storminsteve
03-20-2010, 11:41 AM
What, you never sat in a room, smelt your own fart, and inhaled the aroma?:rolleyes: Tell the truth now -

A little too much information for me, but thanks for sharing. :kooky:
I use a diluted orange cleaner, and dry them out "inside out" in my yard. I have 2 pairs, so when one is nasty it gets a break for a few days.

buckethead
03-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I can't stand the smell of stinky waders. I am probably too complusive but I wash mine every week.

Frankiesurf
03-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Haven't washed my neoprenes in 10 years.

DarkSkies
03-20-2010, 10:16 PM
^^So that's why all the Stripercoast guys give you at least 50' of space when ya fish together. ;) :HappyWave:

surfstix1963
03-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Hey whatever works to keep them away from where you are fishing.:d

DarkSkies
05-03-2010, 06:33 AM
THESE THINGS WERE HORRID. The meat was grey dude. I don't mind clammin or fishing chunks. The smell doesn't bother me but, these things were bad. Tackle shop should be ashamed to sell these things.

DS is this what made your waders stink:HappyWave:

OK it's a little embarassing but who cares, it's all good even my stinky waders. :laugh:

I was fishing with Finchaser last week. We took his van. I knew the waders stunk because I could detect a faint aroma, the kind you get when you go out fishin a lot, don't change out the waders, and the stink of perspiration and other substances lingers longer. :upck:

There was an aura of stink wafting around me. No wonder when we went in the WaWa to get some coffee the people behind us stood 10 feet away. :eek:

Finchaser was too diplomatic to say something at the time, or maybe he's so grouchy because he lost his sense of smell. ;)

Anyway, the morning after his girlfriend gets in the van.

The first words out of her mouth were:
"Whoa, what the heck is that horrible smell? :scared:
Were you guys fishing bait last night?"

Fin:
"Nope, that's Rich and his waders, he was sitting right there where you are..."

At that point I think she forced him to stop the van, and they had to sanitize and put blankets on the seat where I was sitting.

Does that seem embarassing?
Maybe I need to wash those waders soon? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/don't%20know%20why.gif :ROFLMAO

surfstix1963
05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
I hope there not neoprene waders good luck getting the smell out of those,are you getting even because Fin has the Saigon Slammer plug and you don't:laugh::d

DarkSkies
05-03-2010, 08:09 AM
^ Surfstix, I get even by eating keilbasa and sausage, and keeping the windows closed...:d
and by posting more swan pics, he hates that....:laugh:

fishinmission78
05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
X2, the more your waders stink the less guys you will have to try to mug you. I dont like company when I fish I'm there to hook something.

CharlieTuna
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
That must have been a really foul smell to be there in the am. Have you taken a shower yet?

DarkSkies
05-03-2010, 11:54 PM
That must have been a really foul smell to be there in the am. Have you taken a shower yet?

Hey I take offense to that Charlie!
I take one once a week, whether I need it or not! :laugh:

bluesdude71
07-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I was fishing with Finchaser last week. We took his van. I knew the waders stunk because I could detect a faint aroma, the kind you get when you go out fishin a lot, don't change out the waders, and the stink of perspiration and other substances lingers longer. :upck:

There was an aura of stink wafting around me. No wonder when we went in the WaWa to get some coffee the people behind us stood 10 feet away. :eek:

Great stuff guys. I'm still rofl thinking about the definition of "faint aroma".:ROFLMAO
You should post that up in the story of the month, Dark.

DarkSkies
12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Bluesdude, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll do that today.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7199-more-prayers-for-finchaser/page6

Some folks may or may not know I've been fishin hard the last few days. I have leaky waders, haven't yet brought them back for replacements. My feet get wet, and there's a helluva lotta stink clouds hovering around me.

In fairness to Pebbles, for the weekends I scrub up good, and every day I wash my orifices and remember to change my underwear. :laugh:

But there's a lotta things that I just ain't got time for, changing fresh socks, cleaning the smelly waders, etc. I've been sleeping in my car to get the ability to fish dual tides before work. I'm a real hobo, I tell ya, and smell like one...

So last night I went to see Finchaser to check on his progress from the operation.

I had my waders on, and had to take them and my wet moldy socks off in the garage. :upck:

I saw him gag as the pungent aroma of fish, sweat, assorted stink and foot odors wafted into his field of smell.

We then went into his kitchen to talk, and he had to open 2 windows, and put the super high-speed microwave vent fan on to be able to talk to me without affecting his blood pressure.

His girlfriend walked by us on her way downstairs. I saw her nose and face wrinkle in horror and distinctly heard her gasp for air as she walked past me. :o

So in a way I'm sorry for that Fin and Michelle, sorry for stinkin up your house. I know you probably had to have a cleaning crew in this morning to get rid of the stank. :ROFLMAO

But in a way, it ain't important, the fish are chowing and surf's up. :fishing: :plastered:

Fin is, after all, a ranking officer of the Effumall club, so I thought he would understand.... :don't know why: :HappyWave: :rolleyes:

Had to burn scented candles to kill the foul smell after I asked him to leave.I almost threw up when he came through the door from the smell coming off of him. If any one has ever smelt the bilge of a head boat imagine 2 times worse. I cant even imagine what his car must smell like:upck:Poor Pebbles:(

I finally replaced my waders at Cabelas 12-16.
2011 should begin a new season of stink-free fishin. :rolleyes:

Monty
12-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Forget about celebrating the New Year......Those who have been privie to the "aroma" of your old waders will be toasting the new ones.
:HappyWave:

I finally replaced my waders at Cabelas 12-16.
2011 should begin a new season of stink-free fishin. :rolleyes:

dogfish
12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
2011 should begin

I think the operative word here is "should"
You know what they say, a leopard can't change his spots. Maybe dark likes the stink, eau de dark.:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

finchaser
12-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Forget about celebrating the New Year......Those who have been privie to the "aroma" of your old waders will be toasting the new ones.
:HappyWave:

What he ^^^^^said hopefuuly he burnt the old ones at a dirty water location