PDA

View Full Version : Improving technique

voyager35
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Most of us have at least several years of fishing experience. When you think about your method of fishing, what is something that you would like to improve upon?

Frankiesurf
02-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Always want to work on my casting. I also want to better understand how tides and currents affect certain areas that I fish to better learn how to find the fish.

DarkSkies
02-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I want to learn how to stand in the exact spot that Finchaser does. ;)
That guy could pull fish out of a puddle in the street, when everyone else can't buy a hit. :don't know why:

One of the things I really want to do is work on my fishing log and concentrate on fishing hard during optimal times. It will be computerized, but I haven't had the time to set it up yet.

Monty
02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Working the artificial better. Whether it be a plug, metal or slug-go, I need to present it better.

surfstix1963
02-14-2010, 05:40 AM
When I'm having a rough go of it sometimes I just sit back at a campfire w/ a bunch of buddies have a couple beers rethink the situation then things usually start coming back together sometimes a little slower than I hoped for.

williehookem
01-30-2011, 12:36 PM
I want to learn more about behavior of big bass. They don't usually move in schools like the smaller ones do, so I want to learn how they think.

seamonkey
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
I want to learn how to get better at bucktailing. The old guys pull fish in left and right when I see them. They outcatch me 3 to 1 when I am using the same bucktail. There must be subtle differences in technique. You can't learn that at a seminar or in a book, I will keep trying and watching the guys who are doing it right. and maybe ask them for pointers when they are not busy.

rip316
02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I want to learn how to get better at bucktailing. The old guys pull fish in left and right when I see them. They outcatch me 3 to 1 when I am using the same bucktail. There must be subtle differences in technique. You can't learn that at a seminar or in a book, I will keep trying and watching the guys who are doing it right. and maybe ask them for pointers when they are not busy.

I learned that the weight of the bucktail is important. Too heavy and It will dig in and not look very appealing, too light and the current can take it away. You want the bucktail just heavy enough that It will just sit right and when you lift the rod it will make it move in a more natural manner. Also, the types of bucktails are important too. The cheaper bucktails will lay on their sides same as some jig heads. Have to ask around here for some of the better brands.

gjb1969
02-22-2011, 07:12 PM
my casting and working bucktails i just loose way to many:burn: and i dont buy many for the season

clamchucker
07-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I think that no matter how long you have been fishing you can still learn something. For example, sometimes one color works over the other on a certain day. As a fisherman you have to be adept at recognizing these subtle differences if you want to catch. On other days it is all about the retrieve, whether it be a fast retrieve, slow, or a combination, more slow than fast, with some irregularity imparted to the line with your index finger.

finchaser
07-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I think that no matter how long you have been fishing you can still learn something. For example, sometimes one color works over the other on a certain day. As a fisherman you have to be adept at recognizing these subtle differences if you want to catch. On other days it is all about the retrieve, whether it be a fast retrieve, slow, or a combination, more slow than fast, with some irregularity imparted to the line with your index finger.

What he ^^^^^said:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Monty
07-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Well I have tried giving the 14" Hogys more action this year. More twitching and it has not worked at all in the dark. Going back to a much more steady action. So this year as for working Hogys I have regressed on technique.....but learning.

surfstix1963
07-16-2011, 07:07 AM
I noticed with any rubber bait you have to be very versatile in different retrieves more so than other surf plugs you really need to consider the current and the rate at which they sink and how fast they rise on different retrieve speeds you really need to visualize what it is doing under the water is it drifting right past the structure ,do you need to cast uptide more to get a better presentation when it reaches the structure I try myself when fishing something new trying to get a count of how long it takes to hit the bottom everytime I fish them because the scenario is always different then work on retrieve speeds these new reels take up so much line on a single turn of the handle you really don't realize how much you are moving the bait with that one turn of the handle and naturally as you reel faster it rises quicker so it maybe going right over their heads or for the bigguns they just don't want to move to get it(lazy)you know the deal find the structure and you will usually find a bass or 2.