PDA

View Full Version : Eric Schwaab new NMFS chief

jigfreak
02-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Eric Schwaab new NMFS chief

By Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html)

February 12, 2010, 4:15PM

Eric Schwaab, former deputy chief of the Maryland Dept. of Natural Resources, has been elevated to head of the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS). The surprise choice doesn't have the scientific degrees possessed by the last two NMFS chiefs, and commercial fishing leaders generally weren't happy with the choice. They had been backing marine scientist Brian Rothschild for the $150,000 a year position. New Jersey ASMFC Commissioner Tom Fote knows Schwaab, and is pleased he got the job. Brad Burns, president of the internet striped bass gamefish organization, Stripers Forever, noted that Schwaab is highly thought of in recreational fishing circles.

http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishing/index.ssf/2010/02/eric_schwaab_new_nmfs_chief.html

basshunter
02-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Lubchenco's choice to head NMFS draws many questions
By Richard Gaines

Staff Writer

The lengthy search for a federal fisheries chief bypassed the favorite son of the East Coast fishing industry, a venerated research scientist from New Bedford, for a state bureaucrat from Maryland, whose crab-based fishery includes very few ocean going boats.

So, from Maine to North Carolina yesterday, the announcement that Jane Lubchenco, with White House approval, had selected 48-year-old Eric C. Schwaab to lead the $1 billion National Marine Fishery Service and its 3,000 employees was greeted with a mix of uncertainty, disappointment, and cautious optimism.
Unlike well-known Brian Rothschild — the professor from the nation's scallop capital who sat in the front row of last month's raucous meeting of the New England Fishery Management Council, exchanging "hi-how-are-yas" with federal officials and scallopers alike — few around the Atlantic fishing ports yesterday seemed to have heard of the non-scientist and deputy secretary of natural resources in Maryland.

A resident of Catonsville, a landlocked Baltimore suburb, Schwaab exuded good humor and modesty in a radio interview yesterday, telling listeners to WBSM (1420 AM ) in New Bedford, that he was "not unfamiliar with federal fisheries, but I need to get up to speed."

He faces a brace of related problems. One is a scandalized fisheries enforcement cadre. Another is the Lubchenco plan to convert the nation's fisheries into regulatory commodities format that Lubchenco and others have conceded will eliminate many small independent boats and marginal businesses while leaving a relative handful of large-scale operators.

Schwaab deflected questions about both problems during 15 minutes at the mic that did little to fill in the blanks.
"I do not know much about Mr. Schwaab," said John Pappalardo, the chairman of the New England Council.
"I remember seeing him at an Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission meeting," added Pappalardo, policy director for the Cape Cod Commercial Hook Fishermen's Association. "I invite him to attend an upcoming council meeting to introduce himself to New England."

"I know nothing about him," said Dave Prebble, a council member from Rhode Island who came to Pappalardo and the council's defense last month following enormous political pressure to grant the scallop industry extra catch allocation.
"Yeah, it bothers me. Who supported him?" said Prebble. "A lot of (Schwaab's) background is not in fisheries, but in more general natural resources."
Indeed, the national fisheries chief beginning next week does not have the scientific degrees of the two previous NMFS chiefs (one was acting for the year it took to choose) and has spent significant time in forest work. But as Justin Kenney, Lubchenco's communications director, told the Times in an e-mail, Schwaab is acquainted with federal fishing issues and is an experienced manager.

"We have many fine scientists within the fisheries service," said Kenney. He said the job pays $150,000 a year.
"I have no opinion," said David Goethel, a member of the New England council and a commercial fisherman. "I don't know, he's not known to the fishing industry at all.
"(His) background looks more like inland fisheries," added Goethel, who lives outside Portsmouth, N.H. "I wouldn't prejudge the man, but those are my concerns right up front."
Rothschild, 75, said he got a call from Schwaab, 48, soon after Lubchenco's announcement went up on the NOAA Web site. He said he had gotten to know Schwaab a bit when Rothschild had consulted with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources on oyster issues.

Chesapeake Bay, which is very shallow and does not flush well, is perpetually polluted endangering the great blue crab, striped bass and oyster beds that produce a signature seafood medley for Maryland as distinct as New England's clam bake.
"My first thought was relief that they finally selected someone after a one-year process. The agency really needs a permanent leader," said Rothschild. "Second, Schwaab has a tremendous challenge ahead of him in New England. The challenge relates to the implementing a new way of doing business. (Catch shares) are fraught with difficulties."

"I'm concerned about the lack of a science background," said state Rep. Ann-Margaret Ferrante (D-Gloucester).

She said she believed Lubchenco missed a great chance to neutralize much of the industry's suspicion for the government by failing to offer the job to Rothschild, who advises Congressman Barney Frank and the administration of Gov. Deval Patrick on fishing issues and is considered a hero to many in the industry.
Peter Jensen, a former head of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources who has worked with Schwaab and Rothschild, said "Brian and I are old friends. I supported Brian."
Jensen said he worried whether Schwaab would have the strength of character to resist the direction he sees NMFS headed.
"I'm not convinced they are committed to helping the fishing industry," said Jensen. "I think they're changing it from the 'fisheries service' to an 'environmental management agency.'"
Jimmy Ruhle, who heads the Commercial Fisherman of America from his home on North Carolina's Outer Banks, said he has worked with Schwaab and "he needs a lot of educating."
"Eric has very little knowledge of ocean fishing," Ruhle said, "but he could be OK."

He added, however, that he liked the way Massachusetts was willing to stand up to NMFS and fight for its fishing fleet, and worried that Schwaab comes from a state without that cultural penchant for independence.

"When it comes down to a vote, Maryland does not challenge the federal government," Ruhle said. "Brian was my candidate."
Rothschild had no more ardent supporter than Richie Canastra. The co-owner of the Whaling City Seafood Display Auction said he believed Lubchenco shunned Rothschild.

"I think Brian was seen as a threat to her, to the concept of catch shares and the road they were going down," Canastra said. "You had congressmen sign petitions supporting Brian for the position which was filled by someone we don't even know.
"In Maryland there are no species that are in chaos," Canastra said. "He definitely has a high bar to prove himself."
New Bedford Mayor Scott Lang said the New England fishing industry had been waiting a long time for an advocate like Rothschild.

"For whatever the reason, they went in a different direction," said Lang.

He said he hopes Schwaab will be a healing force. Lang said he would invite the new fisheries chief to a shadow summit being planned for early March to prepare issues and solutions for the official council, which meets at the end of April. Rothschild will be presiding.

Rothschild said he did not know why Lubchenco did not select him,
He interviewed with her a year ago, but has not spoken to her since about the status of his candidacy.
Kenney did not respond to a request for an explanation of Lubchenco's thinking in making the choice.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_042224537.html?keyword=secondarystory