PDA

View Full Version : Freeport show February 12-14, 2010

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Just a head's up that the Freeport show is this weekend. If any of you guys are still on the fence about going to Washington on the 24th, the RFA will be there. Ask them any questions ya want, they won't bite!

We really could use some more guys to come down and protest. Thanks.

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/63.gifRecreational Fishing Alliance Contact: Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732
For Immediate Release February 4, 2010

"FREEPORT SHOW" SET FOR FEBRUARY 12-14
New York Sportfishing Federation's 28th Annual Forum & Auction

The 28th Annual New York Sportfishing Federation Forum & Auction returns to the Freeport Recreation Center next Friday, Saturday and Sunday, February 12-14, and features seminars by the top fishermen in the region. The show opens Friday the 12th at 2 p.m. with a good crowd expected early as anglers search out the best early deals among the more than 50 exhibitor booths.
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/37.jpgThe 2010 seminar series kicks off for the after work crowd on Friday night, as surf guide Mark Malenovsky talks structure and bait-fishing the surf at 5 p.m. on February 12th, followed by a very special how to clinic at 6 p.m. as Capt. Frank Crescitelli of Fin Chaser Charters and Guides Choice tackle shows you everything you ever wanted to know about choosing and using castnets and fishing live baits.
On Saturday, February 13th, the show reopens at 8 a.m., with seminars kicking off at 9 a.m. as Capt. Neil Faulkner talks shallow water fluke in room 101, while Fin-Chaser's Capt. Anthony Grassi putting on the first of two how-to clinics (second presentation at 5 p.m.) on loading a castnet. A double-barrel lineup of seminars continues at 10 a.m. with Freeport Tuna Club's Capt. Larry Festa talking monster sharks, and Capt. Phil Kess of Fishy Business discussing his favorite rigs, knots and specialized tactics.
At 11:15 a.m., the guy who literally wrote the book on Fishing For Striped Bass,http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/80.jpg Gary Caputi, will move into the lounge area seminar stage, while West End's Ralph Votta heads into room 101 to push tin in the suds for better surf success. Hit the offshore grounds at 12:30 with Capt. Harry Weinblatt in search of canyon tuna and marlin, or hone up on your bucktailing skills with legendary surfman Bill "Doc" Muller. At 1:45 p.m., striped bass record holder Capt. Bob Rocchetta explains what he does to consistently score stripers over the gunnel of his Rainbow Charters, while top flyfishing pro Jaiem Fleischman of Arts & Flies takes a lighter approach to fooling stripers in the surf.
At 3 p.m., fluke fishermen should snag a lounge seat early on Saturday as rodbuilder Al Goldberg shares tips for scoring Long Island doormats, while surf guide Bill Wetzel heads to room 101 for a striper spotlight on live-eeling in the surf. At 4 p.m., Capt. John Marino of American Sportfishing Charters reveals some of his best-kept secrets for consistently scoring big blackfish along the north shore, while noted author Tom Schlichter provides the show's exclusive spotlight on Long Island's outstanding freshwater action in room 101. Plus, a special added presentation at 5 p.m. features Capt. Jerry McGrath and a halibut adventure to Tanaku Lodge in Alaska.
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/54.jpgOn Sunday the 14th, the super Sunday of seminars opens with Dreamcatcher Charters' Capt. Stu Patterson and an exclusive kids fishing presentation at 9:30 a.m. Television personality and charter pro Capt. Andy LoCascio joins Capt. John Marino at 11 a.m. for an exciting presentation on fishing for stripers. Then, be sure to arrive early and fish like 'crazy' starting at 12:30 with Crazy Alberto Knie and a surfcasting extravaganza in the lounge.
Al's seminar will lead right into the gigantic Sunday auction at 2:30 with over a hundred fishing related items, including autographed artwork by Carey Chen, premium fishing tackle and guided charters for everything from inshore stripers to a Canyon Runner giant tuna trip and a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Tanaku Lodge in Alaska!
Now in its 28th year, the New York Sportfishing Federation Forum & Auction at the Freeport Recreation Center is the "can't miss" sportfishing event of the year in New York. Open Friday 2-8, Saturday 8-6 and Sunday 9-2:30. Admission is $10, $8 for kids and seniors, and children under 12 are free. Location is 130 E. Merrick Road in Freeport, less than half mile west of Exit M9W off the Meadowbrook.
For details, visit www.nysf.org. (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103004834792&s=10015&e=0011hcDncwYkRbqyEjFQxQ2TtwMpoE0gNNFbpy-tUz77_oupoJrwmvnRq4VJRqChMKv5SDgRdH0Z8t8fO7_0Knk8m dIJIa5p8brzIpsKXgnRVw=)

JOIN THE FEDERATION & GET ON THE BUS!
NYSF & RFA To Rally in DC on February 24

While you're at "Freeport Show" next week, be sure to get your new or renewing membership with the New York Sportfishing Federation - and the RFA - to protect your right to fish!
Established in 1981, the NYSF is a non-for-profit organization recognized as the voice of the recreational fishing community throughout the New York marine district. Together with the national lobbying power of the Recreational Fishing Alliance, your updated membership in both organizations ensures that your rights as a New York saltwater angler are protected - in Albany and down in Washington DC.

Be sure to join fellow Federation and RFA-NY members in DC on February 24th http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102181706823/img/69.jpgin a united effort to reform the Magnuson Stevens Act in order to keep America fishing. This historic event on the steps of the US Capitol in Washington DC is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - this rally has been coordinated by coastal fishermen from across the country, it is expected to draw several thousand recreational and commercial fishermen in an unprecedented show of unity at the steps of Democracy.

The Federation and the RFA are working together to organize and help promote this unprecedented rally in Washington; the United Boatmen of New York is currently filling up buses in Montauk, Captree and in Sheepshead Bay (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103004834792&s=10015&e=0011hcDncwYkRbEMtqSI016kwvFTt64twVzOjRcmSUhaQYGf w7gThhs1oDgq8MURNxVI93TaNQ7ZWFN-SjL5mSnoCqu6bcxGiSxyYQIDkVgRIx5lnnbGQj0sBQyQj6beAt Fjmls5HXixuQ=)to get sportfishermen to DC for the event. Don't miss out; once-in-a-lifetime doesn't come around very often!

Visit the sign-up booth at the Federation's Freeport Show next weekend, and get on the bus! Learn more at www.unitedwefish.com (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103004834792&s=10015&e=0011hcDncwYkRaqj2X7Smassd497vDbaz--yGw-P_5td_qeQsxSeaibSbn1l3MGiTB79O7nt_FfrY2NkBDAX4K1Vw Xuqrt42ijFInfPe_qdE7CN9j5gexNlKA==).

About Recreational Fishing Alliance

The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103004834792&s=10015&e=0011hcDncwYkRb3cV3WuAMo2-FWOQxIsdl1ATjJed5SfbWmFwCVrSvtGHrnpuludLoomuiu-RnXA99FbTjK1CdbyvRv4sQXkPfjk6G8kZ3eSHWBDN3Mp6ukRw= =).

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 10:15 AM
The seminars are today and Sunday, guys and girls, so why not get down there and check them out!

nitestrikes
02-13-2010, 11:06 AM
I went yesterday. No seminars for Fri, but I thought it was OK. Nothing spectacular, the same as last year. I liked the one at Queens College better, jmho.

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 10:59 PM
I got stuck in some traffic, and didn't get there until 4pm. By that time things were starting to wind down. The feedback I got was that it was a decent turnout, but because of the recession attendance seemed to be down.

The list of seminars looked interesting. :thumbsup:
It seemed like everyone on the NYSF team and their members worked hard to put a good show together.

It would have been nice to see the place a little more packed, but the reality is that these are tough times, and people are being careful with their disposable income. Many don't have disposable income, it is what it is.

It was still nice to meet a few new people and guys I recognized from other shows.

Good job to all in the NYSF club. :clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Right off the bat I met Hemi, (in)famous fisherman! :laugh: ;)

Anyone who knows this guy can't deny he's quite a character. :plastered:
He's larger than life, either on the internet or when you meet him in person. Full of laughs and ball bustin jokes, if yer fishin with this guy and not having a good time laughin, then ya might just be a little too uptight. :eek: :fishing:

Hemi was making bucktails for awhile.

Now his friend Steve Petri has taken over the selling part of that venture, and Hemi started making rods.

He's only been doing it awhile. The one I shot a video of wasn't finished yet, but it will be a cod rod to get in on the notable Montauk cod action.

Good luck with the rod building, dude, nice meeting ya again. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 11:11 PM
I've seen Ralph around at a few shows over the years. He has many years of fishing experience and knows his stuff.

Today he gave a seminar on fishing the surf with tins.

One of the things he's involved with now is a full line of Charlie Graves tins. For anyone who wants to learn about the old-timers at Montauk, tins, rigged eels, bucktails, and eels were a staple in Montauk fishing for decades. No surfcaster should be without a few tins of different sizes in his plug bag.

Nice meetin ya again, Ralph. :HappyWave:

Pic of some Charlie Graves tins:

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Also ran into Larry Carlucci and some others I haven't seen in awhile.

Larry is at many of the fishing shows and flea markets. I think he and a buddy might have a table at Asbury again this year selling used plugs. If ya see him, walk on over and check out the prices, some good deals. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Some pics

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 11:15 PM
more

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 11:27 PM
I first started talkin to Tom because of his hat. He was at the door directing traffic into the auditorium.

His hat would stand out for a country mile. :wow:

Anything related to fishing you could imagine is on that hat.
It took him 20 years to create it exactly the way he wanted it.
It's definitely one of a kind.

He's been offered $500 for it, but says it's not for sale, ever. :thumbsup:

More about Tom and what he fishes for in the "LI old-time memories" thread. Tom gave quite a fascinating interview. I hope I can do his stories justice.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5237&page=4

About Tom and Reels Unlimited.
From what I understand, he and a friend find reels, repair and sell them. They may also repair and service reels as well. He's been fishing for 81 years, so I think he may know a thing or 2 about reels.

Feel free to contact Tom at his e-mail if you have questions about getting a reel fixed:

TOMSREELS@gmail.com

Right now his PC isn't working, so give it a few weeks before you contact him and expect an answer.

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I went over to meet the NYSF guys. I thought the RFA would have a table there too and wanted to meet some of them as well.

From what I understood, the NYSF was the show proxy for the RFA, as the RFA wasn't there. Instead, there was a lot of literature on the March to Washington, and other NYSF / RFA things for sportsmen to get involved in.

As I mentioned previously, I think the NYSF guys did a great job putting the show together. This is the 28th year of them running this show.

If you get a chance, take a look at their website which tells you about them in more detail:

www.nysf.org (http://www.nysf.org)

DarkSkies
02-13-2010, 11:49 PM
12:20pm - Crazy Alberto will be giving a seminar on surfcasting secets

2:30pm - Charity fishing auction, where thousands of $$ worth of fishing items will be auctioned for charity.

All show and auction proceeds go to help the NYSF in helping to protect both the rights of saltwater anglers and of the natural resources in the New York marine district.

DarkSkies
02-14-2010, 08:37 AM
more pics

basshunter
02-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Good report Dark,:thumbsup: thanks for putting up with the traffic to get there. I'm going to try to get there today after time with the family.

nitestrikes
02-14-2010, 09:26 AM
The other thing I wanted to add when I went Fri was that attendance seemed a little light. Glad you mentioned that Dark, it might be the economy. I really think after 28 years that show is getting a little stale. They need to change it up a bit and maybe lower the admission price. You did a great job on the report though. I believe you could sell ice to an Eskimo. :D