PDA

View Full Version : rods in the surf

hookedonbass
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Why is it that I see so many larger length rods on the beach? I know it has to do with casting but do you really get that much extra casting distance between a 10ft and 12ft rod?

Doublerunner
02-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Depends on the rod and reel. Some of those are heavy heavers for guys who use the chunk bait and large heavy sinkers

surfstix1963
02-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Plugging I'm most comfy w/ a 10 ft. graphite for the most part,in rivers I drop down to 8' 6" lami, I do use my 11' lami when I throw big stuff and its crappy out it does wear on you and I still use my 11' Ugly Stik god that thing is old for the bait game.Longer as DR said is good to keep the line over the waves so the bait doesn't get washed in by the breaking waves and a long pole spike helps too for that & they usually have a much heavier rod rating also so some are not meant for plugging.

rip316
02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
I was at a sporting goods store the other day and they had an 8' 3" ugly stick and its rating was light. seemed to flimsy to me or is that a good one to get to use for surface poppers and small plugs. seemed way to light and whippy.

Frankiesurf
02-16-2010, 06:16 PM
You really have to check the ratings on them. You can't always tell by the feel.

Monty
02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
I really like plugging with rods between 9'8" and 10'8".
I have gotten used to rods that length, shorter than that and it feels funny. These rods are light, rated from 1-5 oz, can throw all day with them (and long casts).

I picked up a used 9' Tica Dolphin rod this winter rated 1/2-3 oz that feels great. These rods new are around $80.00 - $120.00 and I have heard good things about them. They come with quality guides and are light.

Frankiesurf
02-16-2010, 10:04 PM
The Tica is a good rod. I have the 9' and my buddy has a 10'.

The only problem I had with mine was that the reel seat loosened up after about two years. I drilled a few holes in the seat itself and injected epoxy into them tapped it a bit to settle it in then did it agin until it was full. Solid as a rock now. That reel seat will outlast the rest of the rod.

Monty
02-16-2010, 10:33 PM
FS, can you throw up to 3 oz with that 9 foot Tica rod? I like the feel of that rod a lot.

surfstix1963
02-22-2010, 06:07 AM
I was at a sporting goods store the other day and they had an 8' 3" ugly stick and its rating was light. seemed to flimsy to me or is that a good one to get to use for surface poppers and small plugs. seemed way to light and whippy.
Watch the new ugly stiks they are pretty crappy now I think I've had 8, lost count of the ugly stik custom and everyone of them shattered at the joint it was a great rod light felt good just cheaply made now.Very thin walled and very loose.They send you new ones but you pay to ship it back and it got old real quick.They got pissed the last time I told them to change their ad "the only thing you'll break is records" I'll stick to my lami's haven't broke one yet.I really don't like anything unless it's rated med.Just my .02 cents

Frankiesurf
02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Monty, it is the Tica Dolphin. Rated at 1/2 to 3 oz, fast action medium tip.

It throws light stuff really great. I wouldn't throw more than 2 1/2 with it. For some reason I don't trust it. The sweet spot is about 1 3/4 - 2 oz.

Great rod for pencils. I have also fished under Montauk light with it and pulled some fish up the rocks. Not too shabby for a $100 2 piece.

StormCaster
02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
A longer rod gives you a longer backswing that loads the rod for a greater casting arc. A 13 foot rod will outshine a 11 footer.

surfstix1963
02-23-2010, 04:25 PM
A decent rod which is fairly inexpensive is a lamiglas surf king I think they only come in 9 and 10 ft. though need to check that out.

Monty
02-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Frankiesurf, thanks for the great info, rod is lite.
Its short for me, but I really like the feel of it and will give it a shot this year.
Matching it with a 12-14 oz reel sound good?

Monty, it is the Tica Dolphin. Rated at 1/2 to 3 oz, fast action medium tip.

It throws light stuff really great. I wouldn't throw more than 2 1/2 with it. For some reason I don't trust it. The sweet spot is about 1 3/4 - 2 oz.

Great rod for pencils. I have also fished under Montauk light with it and pulled some fish up the rocks. Not too shabby for a $100 2 piece.