PDA

View Full Version : can you win a state record if the fish is caught illegally?

crosseyedbass
02-17-2010, 12:03 AM
I just read a post where a 64lb bass was caught off oregon onlet north carolina. The guys in the thread showed the water in that area is 40 degrees.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5972
I'm no scientist, but even I know you are not going to catch a mess of bass in 40 degree water.

What if they caught that record in the EEZ where the water is warmer? Is that fair to other guys who are going for the record?
Can they be disqualified, or should they?
I think it sucks they can get away with that. Where else would they have gotten the bass? Anyone? total bs. :burn:

dogfish
02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Something stinks and it isn't the fish. I agree, if they found they caught that in the eez, they should definitely be disqualified.

bababooey
02-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Give them a lie detector test. Problem solved.

surfstix1963
02-17-2010, 03:00 AM
No need you aren't going to find bass in that water temp. unless its dead and drifted in and got snagged or especially a live one that wants to eat. Your looking at a min. temp of 55 Degrees closer to 60 for bass.Thats why they call it EEZ fishing in NC & VA & other states, record should not stand by the laws of common sense:kooky: and lets go weigh it in for a potential record talk about having balls:2flip:

Innocent until proven guilty I guess.

storminsteve
02-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I looked at those temperature charts. There is no way you're going to catch bass that big in the 40 degree water unless you hit them under a bridge and they were all stacked on each other in a mini hibernation. They should definitely give the guys a lie detector test.

ledhead36
02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
This is a prime example of fishing the EEZ. He should not get the title and he should be given heavy fines as well.

Frankiesurf
02-17-2010, 07:40 PM
My thoughts exactly. When I first heard of this fish I saw Oregon Inlet and immediately thought of the EEZ. I don't think they would do that for a state record fish. They should but most likely won't.

Innocent until proven guilty I guess.

jigfreak
02-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Temperature charts are pretty accurate. I heard they are created by the buoys, satellite reports, and weather reporting stations.

You might catch 1 big bass in 40 degree water, but not a boatload of them. The guys who went on that boat should be told the story of Pinocchio.