PDA

View Full Version : waterproof reel

plugginpete
02-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Is there such a thing as a COMPLETELY waterproof reel that doesn't cost 1000?

rip316
02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
van staal and zee baas. i think.

Doublerunner
02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I have also seen some modified Penn reels

finchaser
02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
No just VS and Zeebass for now
Penn torque will be available in June for $800

gjb1969
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
i will get one of those mitchells reels i dont care abought the bananna handel:rolleyes:

surfstix1963
02-22-2010, 05:49 AM
I think the ? has been answered, personally if you are not swimming w/ it or standing in water up to your neck where it will be submerged I can think of alot of other things I could buy w/ that money.

rip316
02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
I agree. I don't think I would buy a reel that kinda money if I was loaded.

Doublerunner
02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
No just VS and Zeebass for now
Penn torque will be available in June for $800

I was not talking about the Torque

I was referring to Penn 704's that I have seen guys drill holes into them and seal the drag. Some even have gone with no bail on them. So long as the drag is sealed and water can drain off then it can be waterproof

finchaser
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM

I was referring to Penn 704's that I have seen guys drill holes into them and seal the drag. Some even have gone with no bail on them. So long as the drag is sealed and water can drain off then it can be waterproof

The body will still fill with water and destroy it,many pack the 704 with grease to keep water out it's still not water proof.
There is no way to seal the drag on them and the holes are to flush sand out of the rotor to avoid binding a common problem with them.

As I said there are only 3 totally submersible water proof reels the VS,Zeebass and Torque,the 704 and 706 can not be made water proof.
Many Shimano and Diawa reels come with waterproof drags only

surfstix1963
02-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Those 706 and 704 were good reels indestructible,simple workhorses a little hvy & the bail had some snap to it I think thats one reason for going bailess (keep your fingers) I really don't remember breaking anything except bail springs & you could take the whole reel apart in a few minutes.

JakeF
02-26-2010, 05:34 PM

John, even if you seal the side plate, the bearing on the front where the main shaft exits the gear box is not a sealed bearing and you will get water in the gear box when submerged, and as finchaser said, there is no way to really seal the drag. Getting water in the gear box is not that big of a deal if you clean it out well and regrease after the trip.

I've skished with mine a couple times to see what would happen, and it lives on. Not waterproof, but will do in a pinch. I keep it in the truck as a backup to the ZeeBaaS.
Definitely go bailless on them :thumbsup:

Doublerunner
02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
John, even if you seal the side plate, the bearing on the front where the main shaft exits the gear box is not a sealed bearing and you will get water in the gear box when submerged, and as finchaser said, there is no way to really seal the drag. Getting water in the gear box is not that big of a deal if you clean it out well and regrease after the trip.

I've skished with mine a couple times to see what would happen, and it lives on. Not waterproof, but will do in a pinch. I keep it in the truck as a backup to the ZeeBaaS.
Definitely go bailless on them :thumbsup:

Well I fish with Jackbass a lot. Guess I'm just used to seeing him swimming with it when maybe he's not really supposed to...That's why the "B" in his name is silent...:d

Doublerunner
03-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Just saw a video of Blasko skishing and he's using a Penn 706. Must be modified but the video shows him reeling it underwater

finchaser
03-22-2010, 08:49 AM
most likely packed with grease mixture there is no way to make a 706 waterproof

Jackbass
03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Exactly for the most part guys will load the reel with grease to keep water from intruding. There is no way to seal off the Bearing on the main shaft

StormCaster
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I use to load it with marine wheel bearing grease in my 704Z reels.