2010 Ocean Fire Company #1
14th Annual Fishing Flea Market
Type of Event: Fishing Flea Market
Event Date(s): 02/21/2010
Event Time(s): 8:30am - 3:00pm
Admission: $3
Address: 401 Niblick Street
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742
Email: danmiles23@comcast.net (danmiles23@comcast.net)
Phone: -N/A-

DarkSkies
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey people I hit that fishing flea market up today, and got a few PMs asking me where the report is.

It will be in this thread. I put too many things on my plate today, and hope to have the pics and videos up by tomorrow night. If I ran into you today and took a pic or video of you, check back then.

Sorry for the delay. :o

I met quite a few people and I think got a few nice interesting stories to tell. Till tomorrow.... :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
A little about the Flea market's history:

Ocean Fire Company Number 1 is one of the two fully volunteer fire companies which make up the Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department. The Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department protects the over 5,300 full time, year round residents and the visitors (which can swell to over 10 times the population) of the 1.7 square mile Borough of Point Pleasant Beach.

Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, the volunteers stand ready to respond to calls for service. Emergency situations handled by the Fire Department may include structure fires, vehicle fires, motor vehicle collisions, smoke investigations, gas leaks, automatic fire alarms investigations, carbon monoxide alarms, EMS assistance calls, calls for mutual aid to surrounding communities, and many other assistance and rescue calls.
Ocean Fire Company Number 1 was incorportated in 1885. This was one year before the incorporation of the Borough of Point Pleasant Beach. This was the first fire company to be incorporated in Ocean County. For almost 125 years our volunteers have provided service to our community.
The Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department and Ocean Fire Company Number 1, like most volunteer fire departments in this country are alway looking for volunteers. If you have a love for your community and a desire to be a member of a professional organization of firefighters protecting a great community we urge you to join our department.

This is the 14th year the Fire Dept is running that flea market. They say it has gotten bigger every year from its humble origins on the firehouse grounds.

All the money raised is used to support OFC #1. It's entirely volunteer, and the money goes a long way to helping with their expenses. A big hand for all the men and women connected with OFC#1 for another successful day. :clapping::clapping:

tropics
02-22-2010, 05:11 AM
Wish you would have stopped by,I had a table there was a real good turn out of people. Biggest they ever had..

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 06:58 AM
^ Hey Richie, I was looking to stop by but I got sidetracked. As soon as I got there, I asked people where the guy selling the lead was.

I also came upon someone who had sinkers in the hallway. I asked them if there was anyone else selling lead, or if they knew a guy Richie selling lead. They and some others directed me to the "dive team", but I never made it to that table or your table either. So I did look for ya, for about 5 minutes. :o

I got sidetracked doing interviews, and I honestly forgot. When ya meet me, you'll see that I focus on whatever I'm doing at the moment, and get lost in that.

And I simply forgot. I write myself mental notes to remember. I really wanted to meet ya yesterday, get some pics of your table, and put some pics up here. I'm such a goofball sometimes. :bucktooth:

I was supposed to hustle out of there and drive up to the East Meadow LI fishing flea market as well, so I had the time factor on my brain. Then, as you said, the Point Pleasant show was so crowded that I got lost in the interviews there. I never did make it up to LI, the Point Pleasant stories were too good to pass up. :thumbsup:

I'm not only king of the googs, but also king of the goofballs. ;) :laugh:

I'm truly sorry I missed ya. It's my fault and I apologize. Hope to run into you at another show this spring. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

tropics
02-22-2010, 09:47 AM
^ Hey Richie, I was looking to stop by but I got sidetracked. As soon as I got there, I asked people where the guy selling the lead was.

I also came upon someone who had sinkers in the hallway. I asked them if there was anyone else selling lead, or if they knew a guy "Richie" selling lead. They and some others directed me to the "dive team", but I never made it to that table or your table either. So I did look for ya, for about 5 minutes. :o

I'm truly sorry I missed ya. It's my fault and I apologize. Hope to run into you at another show this spring. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

The guy in the hallway, Santa Claus beard. That was me. I had someone ask about other guys with sinkers,Sorry I did not hear my name.

No need to apologize. i am sure I have a few more shows to do.

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Tell me if you recognize your pic in one of the following pics, Richie. For some reason I had it in my head you would be in the Gym, on the left. I interviewed the Hot Wheels people, and the young kid who was makin his own teasers, so I'm thinking you had to be somewhere in that area based on your comments.

Oh well next time. :don't know why: :HappyWave:

tropics
02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Tell me if you recognize your pic in one of the following pics, Richie. For some reason I had it in my head you were in the Gym, on the left. I interviewed the Hot wheels people, and the young kid who was makin his own teasers, so I'm thinking you had to be somewhere in that area based on your comments.

Oh well next time. :don't know why: :HappyWave:

:) I had the table next to him in the hall, there was a space between our tables.

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Getting there was no problem, but on the way some locals told me parking was bad and they gave up on going inside.

The school is in a residential area, and there were some areas that had to be shared by the neighborhood people because of all the snow they had the previous week. I decided to give it a shot anyway. I'm glad I did.

As I got inside I met Bill Pierce and Mr Fox at the ticket table. I also understood that Dan Miles was the guy running the show. When I asked them, they said attendance was high this year, higher than last. No numbers, but they were happy, said it was one of the best years attendance wise. Tropics confirmed that as well.

The place was pretty crowded, with people coming and going. In addition to the tables in the gym, there were 2 hallways worth of vendor tables. The buzz was that people were happy, and walking out with good deals. :thumbsup:

This pic here is one of the firefighters and his Dad.

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Some pics:

Capts Ron and Art from the Miss Michelle, selling some surplus

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Richie, in this pic the guy in the black all the way to the back has a beard, was that you?

Gary and Barry, they'll be at the Lacey Elks on 3-13

Storm shad packs for $2 and $2.50

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I thought this was an interesting story. Rob is 20 and has been making teasers for 6 years with his grandfather, and selling them on his own for a year or 2. He started when he was 14, and is working hard at the flea markets to make a name for himself and get money to pay for school.

A tribute to the entrepeneurial spirit of early America, it was nice to see a younger person trying to build a business. Good luck Rob, I hope your business grows and prospers. :thumbsup:

Most of his teasers are $2 each, or 3/$5. Some great prices there.

He wasn't sure if he was going to any more flea markets. If you want to buy from him via mail, hit him up at:
bbrown403@yahoo.com

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Tons of used plugs for reasonable prices. He puts all new VMCs and HD split rings on his salt water plugs before putting them up for sale.

A few dozen rods and reels as well.

Next shows:
Hightstown
Lacey Elks

Nice to meet ya Jeff. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 07:20 PM

I met Connie at the Point Pleasant Fire co fishing flea market. Her Dad runs a small PA company called Tri-plex tackle making bucktails and hand tied bottom fishing rigs.

She helps with not only the rigs, but is also starting to tie the bucktails. :thumbsup: It was nice to meet a family where 2 generations are working together to build a good business. Best of luck to you both! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Joe has been making bucktails for about 4 years now, and fishing a lot longer than that. His favorite fish to fish for is fluke, and his stingers with the double hook help to turn that thump into a catch!

Take a look at some of the nice fluke he caught in the pics.

He also sells his own teasers. He has been fishin for 60 years, and his next flea market will be the Hightstown one. Nice meetin ya Joe! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 07:46 PM
If you can think of a tin profile, and it can be made, Dan can do it!

He had a show special of $2 ea for blem Hopkins tins, around 2 oz, how can you pass on a deal like that? You know you're gonna lose a dozen a year if you fish hard.

He's been doing this for a bunch of years, has great prices, and fishes his products as well as selling them. He also has been fishing for over 50 years in the salt, and has quite a perspective of how things used to be before the Striped bass moratorium in the 80's.

He also carries Fluke jigs, Avas, Hopkins profiles, Charlie Graves style profiles, and Stingsilver tins.

Nice to meet ya, Dan! :HappyWave:

You can get in touch with Dan at TINMANTACKLE@msn.com

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I met Bruce at Hi-Mar last week, and ran into him again here. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 08:09 PM
some video

I got distracted and didn't shoot this video until it was almost closing time. You can still get a general idea of the setup and all the tables they had

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Hot Wheels fishing team is a bunch of handicapped guys with dreams to go fishing. However, instead of only having dreams, they get it done. :thumbsup:

I ran into Wayne S maneuvering around the gym in his wheelchair, and he got to talking. He told me he just joined the Hot Wheels for fishing group that day. I went to their table, thought it was a positive theme, and decided to do a little story on it.

As I understand it, it was started by Chris C, who is handicapped and gets around in a wheelchair. He doesn't let that get him down though. He's a fishin maniac, and decided early on in his life not to let a thing like a wheelchair interfere with his fishing.

He started soliciting contributions to take other handicapped people fishing. He's friends with Kevin Bogan of Point Pleasant, who suggested Chris kick it up a notch, get legal, and try to make it into a big thing where they reach out to as many people as possible. I'm not sure, but Mark from Alex's B&T in Point Pleasant may be involved helping them as well.

"From one small stone, mountains can be moved."

Chris with Mark of Alex's B&T in the background.

Wayne S, who just joined Sunday, and was my initial introduction to the group.

Chris going fishing and getting written up in the Fisherman and the Asbury Park Press

"Hot Wheels offers Accessible Angling" the APP article written in the Hook Line and Sinker column.

In this pic he shows a longfin tuna he got. :clapping::clapping:
Feb 4, 2010 edition of the Fisherman. "Hot Wheels Fishing Rolls into town"

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 08:32 PM
some shots of Chris and Wayne

www.hotwheelsfishing.com (http://www.hotwheelsfishing.com)

clamchucker
02-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Excellent reporting on this one Dark. Exceptional job on Hot wheels fishing as well.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks Clamchucker. I was kinda bummed that I missed the time frame for the East Meadow ffm, but in the end it turned out great. Lots of trafffic, good stories, and good people. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Chris from Hot Wheels fishing did a short interview.

If I missed anyone hope to catch up with ya at the next show. Nice meeting all of ya's. :HappyWave:

plugcrazy
02-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Rich you never disappoint. :clapping: You should be reporting for a magazine or newspaper. Thanks for the great job.:HappyWave:

tropics
02-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Hi Rich I was to the right of Rob, you can see my hand truck in the corner LOL. Nice job with the videos.

Richie

jigfreak
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Chris from Hot Wheels fishing did a short interview.

If I missed anyone hope to catch up with ya at the next show. Nice meeting all of ya's. :HappyWave:

I think I bumped into you when you were filming these guys Dark. you were taking up all the space in the hallway! j/k, it was real crowded, I think you said "excuse me" even though it was my fault, I wasn't looking where I was going. Now that I know what you look like, next time I'll stop and say hi. I have to say you did a great job on this show. It's for a good cause, the fire dept needs the dough, and this year the place was jammed with people. I got some used penn550s in great shape for $30 each.
Very nice job on the reporting, and especially the guy in the wheelchair. Good mojo on you this season.:thumbsup:

tropics
02-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Slightly over 800 attended the show WOW :wow:

buckethead
02-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Nice turn out!

plugaholic
02-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Whos going I mite be there.

plugaholic
02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Same place Antrim School Point Pleasant.

Event Time(s): 8:30am - 3:00pm

bababooey
02-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I'll be there good thing to do on a sunday. Look forward to seeing you plug. :HappyWave:
Directions:
Ocean Fire Company #1
18th Annual Fishing Flea Market
Event Date(s): 02/24/2013
Event Time(s): 8:30am - 2:30pm
Vendor Info: Contact for table information
Additional Info:

There will be NO PARKING OR OFF LOADING FROM THE FIELD

PLEASE NOTE:

New or used merchandise is acceptable.

Tables will be assigned on a first come, first served basis.
PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO THOSE VENDORS WHO RENT MULTIPLE TABLES/SPACES.

Refreshments will be available for purchase.
With full use of the GYM, the CAFETERIA and the HALLWAYS.Directions:
DIRECTIONS TO ANTRIM SCHOOL:

From NORTH: Parkway South to exit 98; follow signs for Rt. 34 South; take Rt. 34 South to Rt. 35 South; go over the Brielle Bridge into Pt. Pleasant Beach, go to the third light; make a left onto Arnold Avenue, go through the next light and over the R.R. tracks to the second block on the left, TURN LEFT onto St. Louis Ave and follow to the end of St. Louis, which dead ends into ANTRIM SCHOOL.

From SOUTH: Take GSP to exit 90 to Rt. 70 East to Rt. 88 East; take Rt. 88 East until it turns into Rt. 35 North; (approx. 5 miles); go to the third light (1/2 mile); make a right turn onto Arnold Ave, cross the R.R. tracks to the second block on the left, TURN LEFT onto St. Louis Ave and follow to the end of St. Louis, which dead ends into ANTRIM SCHOOL.

DarkSkies
02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
I was there today. Ran into some people I had lost touch with for years. Life is funny that way...if you fish a lot, friends and acquaintances are like the ebb and flow of the tides....and good friends will always come back into the picture like a good night of fishing, or a good tide to fish....:learn: :HappyWave:

I talked to some of the firemen in charge, it seems Dan was running it again..:HappyWave:....his buddies at the table wanted to bust his balls and have him stand in front of the entry for pics., but he was camera shy and wanted all the others to have the credit...:thumbsup:...nonetheless....good flea market, once again, good job guys. :thumbsup:

There may have been slightly less participation because of the economy and Sandy. It seems like the early morning traffic was busy with the most numbers. As it got later the crowd thinned out noticably.

Still a lot of great deals on sinkers, terminal tackle, used reels, and deeply discounted used gear to be had for all saltwater fishermen.....surf, boat, pier, jetty, inshore, and offshore...with a little freshwater thrown in as well.

I met a friend I haven't seen in awhile..he was able to score 2 heavy anchors for his boat already set up with the chain and the main rope, for $20 each...not a bad deal. Plenty of deals like that, and plastic plugs, the ones no one seems to want anymore, at prices from $1-5....with some custom wood plugs as well, and old hard to find plastic plugs like Rebel F-50's, old redfins, rebels, and Hellcats.

DarkSkies
02-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Some pics....

Dan the Tinman..selling most jigs and tins from $3-5

Always nice to run into ya, Dan. :HappyWave:

Mark from Hi-Mar and his son selling NOS and Vintage plastic plugs. "The Finest Anglers" Custom Lures. Nice running into ya's. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-25-2013, 09:17 AM
I was on a budget again, looking to replace some things that I will probably lose this year. Went a little over my strict $20 budget ....this is what $26 will get you at one of these flea markets.....

DarkSkies
02-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Russ of Lures4You, And Kevin of Kevin's Lures...both local builders.....nice to meet ya's again...:HappyWave:

Lures4You....Russ is now back from Florida for a little while....

Kevin's Lures....decent selection from $5 - $12....you can't beat that price for custom wooden plugs...he's also one of the only local builders to sell plug do-it-yourself kits for beginning hobbyists...

fishinmission78
02-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Location info for tomorrow.
If you need sinkers or bulk lead this is one of the best places to get it. Every year the wreck divers score a table and sell it by the lb. Good deal for making bucktails and jigs. See you there.

Feb.
Ocean Fire Company #1
19th Annual Fishing Flea Market
Event Date(s): 02/23/2014
Event Time(s): 8:30am - 2:30pm
Phone: 732-714-8308
Vendor Info: Contact for table information
Additional Info:
PLEASE NOTE:
New or used merchandise is acceptable

Tables will be assigned on a first come, first served basis.
PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO THOSE VENDORS WHO RENT MULTIPLE TABLES/SPACES.

Refreshments will be available for purchase.

Directions:
DIRECTIONS TO ANTRIM SCHOOL:
>From NORTH: Parkway South to exit 98; follow signs for Rt. 34 South; take Rt. 34 South to Rt. 35 South; go over the Brielle Bridge into Pt. Pleasant Beach, go to the third light; make a left onto Arnold Avenue, go through the next light and over the R.R. tracks to the second block on the left, TURN LEFT onto St. Louis Ave and follow to the end of St. Louis, which dead ends into ANTRIM SCHOOL.

>From SOUTH: Take GSP to exit 90 to Rt. 70 East to Rt. 88 East; take Rt. 88 East until it turns into Rt. 35 North; (approx. 5 miles); go to the third light (1/2 mile); make a right turn onto Arnold Ave, cross the R.R. tracks to the second block on the left, TURN LEFT onto St. Louis Ave and follow to the end of St. Louis, which dead ends into ANTRIM SCHOOL.

fishinmission78
02-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Decent turnout today. wentt mid morning and it was crowded. Picked up some good quality old school bucktails for 50 cents to $1 each. some little neck wooden popper clones for $3 apiece and a few metal lips for $5 each. Got a few tins at good prices from Dan the Tinman. Also a russian guy was selling new SPs for $8 each so I picked up a few of them as well.

buckethead
02-23-2014, 04:05 PM
^^^^I think I know the Russian you're talking about. He usually takes 2 tables at the markets and focuses on volume selling. He has sebiles for 10-15 when the retail on them is anywhere from $20-32.Bucktails for less than $!? Finding deals like that is like a needle in a haystack. I would have snatched them up too. Good score.

hookedonbass
02-23-2014, 10:39 PM
I never heard of bucktails for 50c or $1.You guys must be awesome bargin hunters.

fishinmission78
02-27-2016, 12:02 AM
Bump for the ffm on Sunday
Ocean Fire Company No. 1 Fishing Flea Market Open Date:Sun, Feb 28, 2016
Close Date:Sun, Feb 28, 2016
http://www.ofc1.org Description:
Since 1996. All types of fishing paraphenalia and equipment along with expert fisherman and enthusiasts on hand to offer ideas and expertise. Location:Antrim School (http://www.eventcrazy.com/Point-Pleasant-Beach-NJ/attractions/details/76362-Antrim-School)
401 Niblick Street
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ (http://www.eventcrazy.com/searchFiles/results.cfm?sType=Event&sCity=Point%20Pleasant%20Beach&sState=NJ&sCountry=US&)