PDA

View Full Version : fighting a fish

bluesdude71
02-23-2010, 06:53 PM
If you are a catch and release guy has there ever been a time when you had to keep the fish you landed because it would die even if you threw it back?

finchaser
02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
more than i care to remember

jigfreak
02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm not really catch and release per say. I like grilled bass with a spicy rub. :drool: I do like to put the big girls back tho. 2 years ago I got a 40lb bass plugging in the ocean at night. Bringing her in she got bashed against the rocks as it was pretty rough. I tried to revive her, but I think that bashing the rock gave her brain damage. So I brought her home and ate her. A little tough, but bass is bass. That's one of the few that I regret killing.

rip316
02-24-2010, 01:17 AM
The more I read and learn about the stocks I think I am leaning toward just a pic of a big *** cow. We do eat the fish though so hopefully I will be able to eat some of the smaller fish I catch if I get good enough. lol

surfstix1963
02-24-2010, 05:59 AM
I agree w/ fin too many, thats the reason I use singles in the rear and cut one hook gap off of my front trebles and also crush the remaining 2 barbs on the front.Its a challenge the fish wins or I do but I give the fish as many oppurtunities to win and survive.I don't use wimpy tackle because that exhausts the fish I want it landed and released as quick as possible.

johnnysaxatilis
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
ya i replace all my back trebels with single buck siwash's, crush the barbs on the front ones. but reguardless fatalities happen. I was fortunate enough to release ALL my bass last year though :rolleyes:.
but there was one time when i was throwin a schoolie back into the wash and the swell was huge so right as i let the littel guy go the water receeded and it made a nice WACK sound when it struck the rock haha. poor little guy. i dunno is that counted as a successful release? ok so almost all my bass last year:don't know why:

surfstix1963
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Things happen you just do your best I've seen some real clowns out there especially w/ blues crap you would think they were unhooking a 10' shark.

Frankiesurf
02-24-2010, 05:30 PM
One day last year I had three hours straight of gorilla blues. I hooked two of them deep and kept them. I eventually took off the rear hook and I was still getting so many just on the treble that I replaced that with a siwash.

Other than that I didn't didn't kill any other fish except for the one I took for Thanksgiving.

When I land a fish, my primary objective is getting it back into water ASAP. The fact that I am a clumsy fool doesn't help matters much.