PDA

View Full Version : Who has the right of way?

hookset
02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
You out on the jetty minding your own business. You been out there for several hours fishing with bait. A boat is coming up close to the jetty trolling. Should you be reeling in your line? Should they be moving their boat further out so the line does not get caught in their prop. Who has the right of way?

Monty
02-24-2010, 02:50 PM
They should move out further.
Whoever is ther first has the right of way.
I hate it when boaters show no respect for the surf fisherman by going so close to shore.

Frankiesurf
02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
It is always first come first serve in that situation. I don't walk the beach and find a boat within range and cast at it. They SHOULD give you the room you need.

The shore caster will eventually lose those though. It is either you stop casting and reel in or cast and lose a plug. Lose Lose situation.

surfstix1963
02-25-2010, 03:20 AM
No comment I do what I do and no need to say it I've been in enough scuffles w/ boats they dont always win.

stripermania
02-25-2010, 09:14 AM
The surfcaster has the right of way. The boat can move further out. That said if it is night and you are on the jetty you can't be seen unless it is too late. So in those circumstances it would be beneficial to both if you pull your line in.

jigfreak
02-25-2010, 02:42 PM
No comment I do what I do and no need to say it I've been in enough scuffles w/ boats they dont always win.

That's what extra lead is for.:d

Simp
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
That's what extra lead is for.:d

Or the sparkplugs!:d

i bd fossil
02-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Could never figure out why someone would put such an investment at risk to crash into rocks or run aground and possibly sink. If the fish are biting within casting distance from the shore GET OUT AND FISH FROM SHORE!!!!!!! JMO.

Fossil on the side

VSdreams
08-14-2010, 03:56 PM
The surfcaster has the right of way. The boat can move further out. That said if it is night and you are on the jetty you can't be seen unless it is too late. So in those circumstances it would be beneficial to both if you pull your line in.

Exactly.