PDA

View Full Version : first 2010 NJ keeper is caught when?

storminsteve
02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I think the water is too cold. You might get a few runts, but the backbays are way too cold with the snowmelt runoff. Other than the warmwater spot, when do you think the first NJ keeper will be caught? I say March 7.

voyager35
02-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I say March 8.
It got up to a boiling 38 degrees today.:rolleyes:

buckethead
02-27-2010, 07:44 PM
I say still too cold I'll go with the 15th of March.

SharkHart
02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
The problems is there is a warm water discharge that will hold bass now, and the guys that fish it will report and drive many miles for a weigh in to claim a gift certificate and be all smug about not saying the most important detail, the warm water. So its almost like there is Two first keepers. The "true" first keep Id say around the 17th in a river.

surferman
02-28-2010, 09:47 PM
The problems is there is a warm water discharge that will hold bass now, and the guys that fish it will report and drive many miles for a weigh in to claim a gift certificate and be all smug about not saying the most important detail, the warm water. So its almost like there is Two first keepers. The "true" first keep Id say around the 17th in a river.

I agree, and say the first coldwater keeper bass will be caught around the 2nd week of march.

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Forget all the research guys and gals. I just saw the first housefly of the year. :burn: Forget about the moon phase, water temps, sunny days, dogwood, lilac, all the other time tested methods and measures...

The housefly is it!

I boldly predict a striped bass will be caught within 2 hours of this posting. :kooky: So everyone drop what they're doing and run out and catch those little saltwater carp up! :laugh: ;)

gjb1969
03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
well guys i looking around the first keeper striper is in snj so now we can stop talking and go fish:fishing:good fishin and tite lines to all:fishing:

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
It's over Johnny. The first keeper was caught at 3am in South Jersey somewhere. The guy caught 3 bass starting at 2am. The first were smaller, the keeper was 29", caught at 3am.

He weighed it in at Absecon B&T, got his $200 gift certificate.
http://www.abseconbay.com/abseconbay/main.html

He said he caught it on rubber. :thumbsup:

Congrats Chris McIntee for being the first to catch a 2010 NJ bass in cold water. :clapping::clapping:

SharkHart
03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I know for a fact the last few seasons abesecon bay winner was caught about 35 miles north at a discharge, I wouldnt read too much into this just yet.

finchaser
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
I know for a fact the last few seasons abesecon bay winner was caught about 35 miles north at a discharge, I wouldn't read too much into this just yet.

What he said^^^^^ especially the part about rubber and fishing in the dark with out the sun warming the water to put fish on the feed.
Plus many spots in the back are still frozen and lets not forget salt water freezes at 28 degrees and there is allot of run off to come. Most shops don't even have bait yet and with no flounder season won't rush to get it.

DarkSkies
03-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey guys you have a point there. I tend to take people at face value when they say something unless there's evidence otherwise.

I know the water is extemely cold. I agree with you both on that point. I know people who have been catching bass all winter in "environmentally altered" water. :rolleyes: That was one of the only places in the area to be able to catch bass. I think it's sad that people think they have a shot at catching a bass elsewhere when they're holding in only a few places because of that water temp.

Catching them there was illegal then.
Now, with the season open for all NJ water, I have to ask myself why a guy would make up a story about where he caught it when it's now legal to fish that water? :don't know why:

He reported that he caught it in cold water on rubber, and that's the story I'm gonna accept, for now. I wouldn't want anyone calling me a liar if I was telling the truth.

Again, you're all entitled to think what you want. We all have our opinions. I think the ones who might know the absolute truth are guys that fish with him regularly.

A man's only as good as his word. If he doesn't have that, he doesn't have much else. So in the meantime, I accept his story as valid.

SharkHart
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Im just saying a lot of guys see a pic of a keeper and run out to their favorite spots which might not be ready for a month yet. Some anglers and shops leave out some key details to be cheeky or shops want to get people out and buying tackle. Its like the tiny fine print in ads.

jigfreak
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
He reported that he caught it in cold water on rubber, and that's the story I'm gonna accept, for now. .

Im just saying a lot of guys see a pic of a keeper and run out to their favorite spots which might not be ready for a month yet. Some anglers and shops leave out some key details to be cheeky or shops want to get people out and buying tackle. Its like the tiny fine print in ads.

Fish usually don't chew rubber when the water is down in the bottom 40's unless it's a warm outflow. Had he claimed bloodworms, I would believe it. If that fish was any more nucular it would be glowing. A bunch were caught there today, biggest 38". What SH said, x2. Just my .02c