PDA

View Full Version : signs from the birds

seamonkey
03-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Does it always mean that fish are in the area if there are birds? There have been times when I see the birds but no evidence of fish.

rip316
03-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Birds mean there's bait. doesn't mean that the fish are right on top with them. The fish could be lower in the water column so, if you are fishing for them on the surface you won't get them. You have to try different methods to find out if they are actually there. I have been out with acres of bunker with not a single person hookin up with birds active. Just my experiences.

finchaser
03-04-2010, 08:59 AM
What he^^^said plus sometimes gulls work a garbage tide line and guys on the beach think there are fish. Sea birds are key gulls are not reliable. Gannets follow the bass schools north and south. If I waited to see birds I wouldn't catch 80% of the fish I do. To me birds are over rated, some boat and beach guy's spend more time chasing birds than fishing and more importantly catching:don't know why:.
Just my .02

jonthepain
03-04-2010, 09:19 AM
i think it depends on what the birds are doing. if they are going crazy and bombing en masse then i'd say, yeah you stand a good chance of hooking up. if they are just circling, chances are not as good.

if they are going crazy, alot of times it's because there are pieces of baitfish (easy pickins), which means that there are also pieces falling slowly under the bait pod. that's where the cows are.

i was following a bunker pod down the outer banks one summer, you see them a lot down there, and they don't necessarily mean predators. this particular pod was about twenty yards across, and had come in to the wash. they were not peanuts but full grown, 6 to 8 inch bunker. i was thinking that there must be something around to push it that far in, so i was running a hopkins under them. every so often i'd snag one, and so i'd let it flop around under the pod.

all of a sudden i see this enormous cow under them looking at me thru the shore break. it was real calm and clear, and the beach dropped off right at the edge into a slough that ran all along the beach for miles. the outer banks can be like that; it's a lot different than the jersey shore, where it's usually pretty gradual.

well anyway this enormous striper was just kind of suspending not three feet away in about 4 foot of water, under a bunch of bunker, looking right at me. i about dropped my rod.

didn't catch anything that day but i'll never forget that eye contact.

rip316
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Wow. that's nuts.

strikezone31
03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
i think it depends on what the birds are doing. if they are going crazy and bombing en masse then i'd say, yeah you stand a good chance of hooking up. if they are just circling, chances are not as good.

I agree. If the birds are diving you should be throwing out your line.