PDA

View Full Version : Fishing reports: Turd Ferguson helps the new guys

DarkSkies
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
For those who want to help the newbies but don't want the crowds that result...I think it's a good idea to help the new guys out to teach them "How".....or most importantly the "Why" that fish may be in a certain area..
The where, IMO, is less important..because once you understand the How and Why better...you will be more than halfway there....:learn:

.... I'll be doling these tidbits out a little at a time, either some general comments or some "How To" for the fishing season.

Most of it will apply to NJ and LI bay/ Sound areas, if the general area isn't indicated.

Specific questions on Where may not be answered..... be happy with what ya get, or not. ;)
Tight Lines,
Turd

DarkSkies
03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Find out where Rich Swiss buys his donuts from. :HappyWave:

Wait outside the place when he pulls up, memorize the plate # of his truck.

Discreetly follow him, keeping at least 500 feet from him at all times. Try not to get arrested doing this. :kooky: Discreetly set up in the general area. You don't need to be in the exact spot, but you do need to only fish 1 rod.

There are state police roaming the RB this year. Anyone fishin more than 2 rods will be arrested and sent to Yugoslavia to work in the coal mines. :moon:

Fish fresh clams, carefully release all the small runts. After you nail a dozen or so, you may have a keeper. :cool:

DarkSkies
03-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Alternate plan:

Scout the bay at low tide by yourself, look at the structure.

This week there are extreme low tides, great time to learn.

Get the eff out there and fish! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
First tidbit:

Reno had fresh clams today. :lookhappy:

DarkSkies
03-04-2010, 12:58 PM
For some reason as part of the intel today, the following info was sent to me:

- There are lesbians in NJ, some are hot, some are not. They are in charge of some large businesses. :cool:

- Bearded clams are not to be confused with surf clams.

- The best clams are juicy.

- Sometimes really stinky clams get the job done.

- People are asking about using clambrella rigs or clamzilla rigs in the early season. More on that in a later post.

That is all...:d

DarkSkies
03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Water temps are trending up, but slowly.

There is some key intel in the chart below.

Study it well.

Don't ask me about it, it's a secret map if you can figure out how to decode it. ;)

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/catl.html

DarkSkies
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
When will the fish be here?
When will the fish be here?
Are we there yet?

(Ya won't know unless you're out there fishin) :d

For those who can't be bothered with finding their own fish...

Sent in by OGB, thanks!

Crocuses - fishing for first spring resident bass
Tulips – arrival of winter flounder
Lilac – weakfish are in town
Forsythia – bluefish and fluke are on the move
Dogwood – arrival of migratory striped bass

September’s full harvest moon has a tremendous effect on both weakfish and striped bass which take it as a sign to start their annual southern migration. During this lunar period juvenile species of both predator and prey are driven outward along the shoreline.

Wind from the North, fish come forth
Wind from the South, fish shut there mouth
Wind from the East, fish come to feast
Wind from the West, fishing is the best

hookset
03-05-2010, 05:39 PM
You forgot that the season really gets into full swing when you see the white bucket brigade out in force, or guys looking for the blitzes.

storminsteve
03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
You forgot that the season really gets into full swing when you see the white bucket brigade out in force, or guys looking for the blitzes.

What's wrong with the white buckets?:laugh:
ledhead posted this originally, I'm stealing it;)

Over hill, over dale
As we hit the beach trail,
And those White Buckets go rolling along.
In and out, hear them shout,
Counter march and right about,

Then it's hi! hi! hee!
Over the dune nimbly,
Shout out your presence loud and strong,
For where e'er you go,
You will always know
That those White Buckets go rolling along.

In the storm, in the night,
Action left or action right
See those white buckets go rolling along
Limber front, limber rear,
Prepare to mount your bucketeer

Was it high, was it low,
Where the hell did the fish go?
As those White Buckets go rolling along
Was it left, was it right,
Now we won't get home tonight
And those White Buckets go rolling along

March along, sing our song,
With the bucket brigade of the free
Count the brave, count the true,
Who have fought to victory
We're the Googans and proud of our name
We're the Googans and proudly proclaim

First to fight for the right,
And to show a white rods might,
And The White Buckets go Rolling Along
Proud of all we have done,
Fighting the battle's done,
And White Buckets go Rolling Along.

Then it's Hi! Hi! Hey!
The Googan's are on their way.
Count off the cadence loud and strong,
For where e'er we go,
You will always know
That The White Buckets keep Rolling Along.

Sandy Hook, Montauks ranks,
Hither Hill and Cape Cods tanks,
And The White Buckets go went rolling along
Minute men, from the start,
Always fighting from the heart,
And The White Buckets keep rolling along.

Men in rags, men who froze,
Still the Googans met their foes,
And The White Buckets went rolling along.
Faith in themselves that we're right,
And They'll fight with all their might,
As The White Buckets keep rolling along.

wish4fish
03-05-2010, 07:20 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10251&d=1267826071

lol wait till the last week of may and u will see these googs trip all over themselves at the jetties thats exactly what it looks like xcept they all are the cool guys with the cool gear:kooky:

cowherder
03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10251&d=1267826071

lol wait till the last week of may and u will see these googs trip all over themselves at the jetties thats exactly what it looks like xcept they all are the cool guys with the cool gear:kooky:

Funny stuff! I never got to see that stuff on the jetties because I mostly kept to myself on the sand beaches. Last yeat got crowded at sandy hook at the very end, but I think that was because of cell phones and spot burning. Why can't people learn to be quiet when there is a good bite, or use the private messages or e-mails to pass some good fishing tips along?

DarkSkies
03-07-2010, 01:24 AM
West wind wally with some early season advice

Frankiesurf
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks Wally!:clapping:

DarkSkies
03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
- Bearded clams are not to be confused with surf clams.

- The best clams are juicy.

- Sometimes really stinky clams get the job done.

- People are asking about using clambrella rigs or clamzilla rigs in the early season. More on that in a later post.
That is all...:d

Last week we were having some fun with clambrella rigs and the right presentation for spring fishing on another site.

I was supposed to post it last week, but couldn't get to it until now. Here ya go...

How to: fishing the clambrella rig

Question:
[hey all,
just ordered a 4 pack of clambrellas and last night after dinner i was trying one out in the back yard. don't want to look like a fool out on gp this season. is it supposed to open and spread like a hi-lo or is the advantage in having the clams bunch up? because how i was pitching it last night it was like i was tossing a seafood alfredo. any advice would be great. thanks.]

Responses:
1. you can't be serious that you bought that. Just use a hi-low rig and that s all you need. Take that thing back. You definately got ripped off

is this some kind of joke??

Cmon guys the man was seriously trying to learn a valuable new technique. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
You all knew that clambrellas have been around in the US since the days the pilgrims fished, right? http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

There's a few special tricks and techniques to add to your angling experience when using the clambrella.

Let's try to help a brother fisherman out here:

1. just ordered a 4 pack of clambrellas and last night after dinner i was trying one out in the back yard.
That was a smart decision Radio. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif Buying a clambrella and learning to use it to catch large takes a while. The guys who do well with them are the ones who pay their dues and put in their time.

2. don't want to look like a fool out on gp this season. is it supposed to open and spread like a hi-lo or is the advantage in having the clams bunch up?
That would depend on how the fish are running. If it's a full moon, it's better having the clams bunch up and let them sit together on the bottom. Fish are sometimes spooked during a full moon. The key to catching large during a time like this is to make absolutely sure that clambrella glob stays on the bottom. During the first April full moon, I have seen guys land cows up to 45# using that rig, by carefully following the above procedure.

It's also is deadly during an October full moon if the surf is very quiet. If you have done your homework and are there at the correct time, sometimes in addition to catching your cow the Great Pumpkin or King Neptune has appeared to lucky anglers. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

3. because how i was pitching it last night it was like i was tossing a seafood alfredo. any advice would be great. thanks
Anyone can buy and use a clambrella, but not everyone can master the skills needed. You need to throw it just the right way for it to unfold and sit there with all those bait choices for the hungry bass to find. The technique for the clambrella is somewhat like throwing a cast net for bunker.

The key here: practice, practice, and more practice.

(I'll try to come back when I have more time and explain various advanced clambrella tricks, such as.. )

-dipping the clams in bunker or garlic oil to get more fish

-mixing and matching clams and fresh bunker for the optimum amount of strikes

- tricks of the old-timers such as tipping some of the clambrella hooks with fresh bacon

-fishing the rig with maximum efficiency by carefully perching a fishing ladder in calm surf and learning how this extra height will give you more leverage when fighting big fish

- advanced clambrella trolling, where one attaches the rig to a sturdy rod mounted to the bed of a truck or the back of your beach buggy. This is deadly during times when you know the bass are there but they are sitting on the bottom with lockjaw. It's also best done at night so the tourists don't see how effective it really is...http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

There ya go **********, hope that helps! http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/wave.gif
Anyone else with tips and tricks for this or other early season specialty striped bass rigs, feel free to jump in. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

DarkSkies
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Topics that I'll try to cover next time:

*Finding clams for the advanced clamzilla rig.

*A little history of the clamzilla clams and the techniques, only for the advanced anglers out there. ;)

*The super advanced snausage rig.

*Where to get the freshest clams if you can't travel to dig for them in the rich clamzilla fields. :lookhappy:

* Advanced clambrella and clamzilla trolling techniques from the beach.

cowherder
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM

2. don't want to look like a fool out on gp this season. is it supposed to open and spread like a hi-lo or is the advantage in having the clams bunch up?
That would depend on how the fish are running. If it's a full moon, it's better having the clams bunch up and let them sit together on the bottom. Fish are sometimes spooked during a full moon. The key to catching large during a time like this is to make absolutely sure that clambrella glob stays on the bottom. During the first April full moon, I have seen guys land cows up to 45# using that rig, by carefully following the above procedure.

It's also is deadly during an October full moon if the surf is very quiet. If you have done your homework and are there at the correct time, sometimes in addition to catching your cow the Great Pumpkin or King Neptune has appeared to lucky anglers. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

3. because how i was pitching it last night it was like i was tossing a seafood alfredo. any advice would be great. thanks
Anyone can buy and use a clambrella, but not everyone can master the skills needed. You need to throw it just the right way for it to unfold and sit there with all those bait choices for the hungry bass to find. The technique for the clambrella is somewhat like throwing a cast net for bunker.

I don't know where in your brain you get this stuff dark, (I mean TURD! :HappyWave:) but keep em coming.:clapping::clapping:

seamonkey
03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Is this this what you looked like finchaser, when you first learned?:d

DarkSkies
03-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't know how many remember the Woodstock years. If ya don't, too bad...:2flip:

Gimme an "F"

(up to 48 yesterday) :lookhappy:

(up to 46 yesterday)

DarkSkies
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Topics that I'll try to cover next time:

*Finding clams for the advanced clamzilla rig.

*A little history of the clamzilla clams and the techniques, only for the advanced anglers out there. ;)

*The super advanced snausage rig.

*Where to get the freshest clams if you can't travel to dig for them in the rich clamzilla fields. :lookhappy:

* Advanced clambrella and clamzilla trolling techniques from the beach.

2nd in a series of advanced clam techniques....;)

The Question:
"Holy Chit great post.
Did you write that article in the NJ Angler Mag or am I getting you confused with AJ Bruno? Either way GREAT article on the Clambrellahttp://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Any tips on the new rig I'm using the Clamzilla?"

My Response:
Dude, I can't believe you know about the Clamzilla!
(I'm no writer, just a hack who smoked too much pot in the hippy days http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif)

Anyway, you must be lucky to know about the Clamzilla rig, which is a hybrid of the clambrella that can only be set up by using the special clamzilla clams.

The clamzilla clams are most often found near the islands of the southern hemisphere that give off a green glow during the full moon. Therefore, you have to travel there in the dead of night.

Once morning comes, you walk onto the flats where the clamzilla clams live. The natives who live there, of the Ubuntu clan, will help you out if it's your first time there, but you have to bribe them with Camel cigarettes and butane lighters.

You have to be careful walking the flats there, as just beyond is a drop to 300' deep canyons. These canyons are patrolled by hungry tiger sharks. Once a season the Ubuntu natives sacrifice a pig or sheep to the tiger sharks to ensure their yearly safety and a bountiful clam harvest.

As you're raking for these clams with the special Ubuntu rakes with the long tines, you have to be aware that the clams are tough suckers to pull out of there. They really dig in there, and have to be pried out with force.

Once you get one, you will see why they're worth the effort. They are the toughest and juiciest clams around. The natives have quite a good business going with the clamzilla exports. They ship them by canoe to the nearest big island, where they are then transferred by airplane to the Eastern and Western coasts of the US

You can't just find them in any bait and tackle shop though. The buyers of these clamzilla clams are some of the sharpest surf sharpies out there. They're the guys you hear about catching the biggest cows that you assume were nailed on live bunker. In reality, they get their biggest fish in the dead of night with those clamzilla clams on the clambrella rig
I've not been fortunate enough yet in my fishin career to be allowed to buy these clams directly from the secret tackle shops. However, I have tagged along on a few fishing trips with some of these sharpies and seen how it's done. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

There are a few reasons the clamzilla clams are so great...

1. They stay on the hook. Once you cut a piece off and put it on there, even a 20# bluefish can't rip it off without becoming fatally hooked.

2. The clam meat emits a stink that can be smelled by trophy striped bass for miles.

3. You can use the meat over and over, and even salt it for the winter. So even though it's initially expensive, you save $$ in the long run

4. There is a supernatural quality to the clam. It retains its juices no matter how many times you dunk it in the water.

5. Because they are so big, you can literally carve dozens of baits from one clamzilla clam. All you need to do is put one small piece on each hook of the clambrella rig, and you're good to go!

You know the rest ***, as you obiously must know one of the secret sharpies out there to be even allowed to mention the clamzilla. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/wave.gif

I put this out there so maybe some of the guys who are getting frustrated with slow catches and long waiting times have something to hope for. If this interests you, you have to seek out the anonymous sharpie and ask them what they know of it. You'll find if you are respectful enough when you ask them, you may be invited on a clamzilla night fishing trip.

If so, consider yourself lucky

DarkSkies
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Gimme an "I"

storminsteve
03-11-2010, 08:51 AM

The clamzilla clams are most often found near the islands of the southern hemisphere that give off a green glow during the full moon. Therefore, you have to travel there in the dead of night.

Once morning comes, you walk onto the flats where the clamzilla clams live. The natives who live there, of the Ubuntu clan, will help you out if it's your first time there, but you have to bribe them with Camel cigarettes and butane lighters.

You have to be careful walking the flats there, as just beyond is a drop to 300' deep canyons. These canyons are patrolled by hungry tiger sharks. Once a season the Ubuntu natives sacrifice a pig or sheep to the tiger sharks to ensure their yearly safety and a bountiful clam harvest.

As you're raking for these clams with the special Ubuntu rakes with the long tines, you have to be aware that the clams are tough suckers to pull out of there. They really dig in there, and have to be pried out with force.

rofl :clapping::clapping: What creativity dark, you almost had me suspending my belief and believing it was a real place.You should definitely write for a living.:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Steve if you heard all the voices in my head that I do, maybe you wouldn't think so, maybe you would have me committed! ;)
But I'm glad you were entertained. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Gimme an "S"

(pay attention to the pressure for the next 12 hours) http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
03-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Gimme an "H" :lookhappy:

DarkSkies
03-12-2010, 12:54 PM
learn your flowers ;)

cardoc765
03-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey Dark, how are you? I was wondering if you would send me a pm or tell me here about pressure and how it affects the bass? I watch moon and tide, as well as wind. I fish RB and was just looking for another pointer to help with my luck at it. Also, what sites are you getting the water temp and waether chart you posted?

KEEP FISHING>

bababooey
03-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't know how many remember the Woodstock years. If ya don't, too bad...:2flip:

Gimme an "F"

Gimme an "I"

Gimme an "S"

Gimme an "H" :lookhappy:

Woodstock? A always suspected you were a hippy Communist subversive, DS. Now I KNOW you are! You freak!!!:ROFLMAO
l4xD8j8ye9k

So...you have any pics of you at Woodstock?That would make you about 59 years old, I didn't think you were that ancient.:d

DarkSkies
03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Woodstock? A always suspected you were a hippy Communist subversive, DS. Now I KNOW you are! You freak!!!:ROFLMAO
So...you have any pics of you at Woodstock?That would make you about 59 years old, I didn't think you were that ancient.:d

I wasn't old enough to make Woodstock, ya goofball. ;) :HappyWave:
I have to admit I would have loved to be there, though. I would give anything to be able to see Hendrix play live, he was the man. :thumbsup:
As for Communists, I think the only Communist subversives we have on this site are you and Frankiesurf. :moon:

Hey Dark, how are you? I was wondering if you would send me a pm or tell me here about pressure and how it affects the bass? I watch moon and tide, as well as wind. I fish RB and was just looking for another pointer to help with my luck at it. Also, what sites are you getting the water temp and waether chart you posted?
KEEP FISHING>

Cardoc what's up, long time no see! Any luck with the job search or are you still looking? I posted a "looking for work" thiing for ya,
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5042

I hope things worked out.

Those charts came from our front page, RB and BB water temp charts, the links are easy to follow, let me know if ya have difficulty.

The barometric pressure is for NJsurfer.com, I believe we have a link for that here as well under the weather stickies at the top of some of the pages.

I have a friend who's like the DR of barometric pressure he's so obsessive about it. The guys who paid attention to their yearly fishing logs and those pressure readings in the last 48 hours are happy, that's about all I can say for now. :lookhappy: ;)

Study that stuff and keep a log, it will lead you to Nirvana. Give me a shout via pm or e-mail when yer going out. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Ya put me in a Woodstock mood, bababooey, you frikkin Commie. ;) :HappyWave:

Canned Heat
V55FfDnkQ6o

Country Joe
GqHkMAo9Gos

Ten years after
LFpfureaCVs

Jimi, no explanation needed...
kgV6SPwN6gU

Voodoo child, intro by Max Yasgur :thumbsup::thumbsup:
rAzxmJAmDdc

cardoc765
03-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey Dark check your email. Also you'll see I posted on the link about work for me. :fishing:

basshunter
03-14-2010, 05:26 PM

1. They stay on the hook. Once you cut a piece off and put it on there, even a 20# bluefish can't rip it off without becoming fatally hooked.

2. The clam meat emits a stink that can be smelled by trophy striped bass for miles.

3. You can use the meat over and over, and even salt it for the winter. So even though it's initially expensive, you save $$ in the long run

4. There is a supernatural quality to the clam. It retains its juices no matter how many times you dunk it in the water.

5. Because they are so big, you can literally carve dozens of baits from one clamzilla clam. All you need to do is put one small piece on each hook of the clambrella rig, and you're good to go!

This is very creative writing, classic! If you saw it in another thread you might think it was solid advice someone was giving. I enjoyed that, you should give a clamzilla seminar or something!:):clapping:

DarkSkies
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
This is very creative writing, classic! If you saw it in another thread you might think it was solid advice someone was giving. I enjoyed that, you should give a clamzilla seminar or something!:):clapping:

Of course it's solid advice, wassamatta fa u? :kooky:
It takes specialized knowledge to be able to use the clambrella and clamzilla rigs effectively. Otherwise you're just wastin your time. :bucktooth:

BTW, Killie is the original inventor of the Clambrella rig design and deserves credit. Only a secret sharpie like him coulda drawn up something as bizarre as that. :clapping: :HappyWave:

He's got the best prices on T-shirts and stickers, he will even create a custom logo for ya, all ya gotta do is ask.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5183

Today's tip:
The outgoing is also good if yer fishin in the daytime this week. ;) :cool:

DarkSkies
03-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Today:

1. Reno has clams.

2. The water is warm, mud is still cold. Late afternoons are golden. ;)

DarkSkies
03-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Bunker are coming from the East. :plastered:

gjb1969
03-22-2010, 07:03 PM
BUNKA!!!!BUNKA!!!THE BUNKA ARE COMEING!!!!:D:clapping::dribble:

buckethead
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM

Question:
[hey all,
just ordered a 4 pack of clambrellas and last night after dinner i was trying one out in the back yard. don't want to look like a fool out on gp this season. is it supposed to open and spread like a hi-lo or is the advantage in having the clams bunch up? because how i was pitching it last night it was like i was tossing a seafood alfredo. any advice would be great. thanks.]

Responses:
1. you can't be serious that you bought that. Just use a hi-low rig and that s all you need. Take that thing back. You definately got ripped off

is this some kind of joke??

Cmon guys the man was seriously trying to learn a valuable new technique. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
You all knew that clambrellas have been around in the US since the days the pilgrims fished, right? http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

There's a few special tricks and techniques to add to your angling experience when using the clambrella.

Let's try to help a brother fisherman out here:

1. just ordered a 4 pack of clambrellas and last night after dinner i was trying one out in the back yard.
That was a smart decision Radio. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif Buying a clambrella and learning to use it to catch large takes a while. The guys who do well with them are the ones who pay their dues and put in their time.

(I'll try to come back when I have more time and explain various advanced clambrella tricks, such as.. )

-dipping the clams in bunker or garlic oil to get more fish

-mixing and matching clams and fresh bunker for the optimum amount of strikes

- tricks of the old-timers such as tipping some of the clambrella hooks with fresh bacon

-fishing the rig with maximum efficiency by carefully perching a fishing ladder in calm surf and learning how this extra height will give you more leverage when fighting big fish

- advanced clambrella trolling, where one attaches the rig to a sturdy rod mounted to the bed of a truck or the back of your beach buggy. This is deadly during times when you know the bass are there but they are sitting on the bottom with lockjaw. It's also best done at night so the tourists don't see how effective it really is...http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

There ya go **********, hope that helps! http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/wave.gif
Anyone else with tips and tricks for this or other early season specialty striped bass rigs, feel free to jump in. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

The Question:
"Holy Chit great post.
Did you write that article in the NJ Angler Mag or am I getting you confused with AJ Bruno? Either way GREAT article on the Clambrellahttp://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Any tips on the new rig I'm using the Clamzilla?"

My Response:
Dude, I can't believe you know about the Clamzilla!
(I'm no writer, just a hack who smoked too much pot in the hippy days http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif)

Anyway, you must be lucky to know about the Clamzilla rig, which is a hybrid of the clambrella that can only be set up by using the special clamzilla clams.

Once you get one, you will see why they're worth the effort. They are the toughest and juiciest clams around. The natives have quite a good business going with the clamzilla exports. They ship them by canoe to the nearest big island, where they are then transferred by airplane to the Eastern and Western coasts of the US.

You can't just find them in any bait and tackle shop though. The buyers of these clamzilla clams are some of the sharpest surf sharpies out there. They're the guys you hear about catching the biggest cows that you assume were nailed on live bunker. In reality, they get their biggest fish in the dead of night with those clamzilla clams on the clambrella rig
I've not been fortunate enough yet in my fishin career to be allowed to buy these clams directly from the secret tackle shops. However, I have tagged along on a few fishing trips with some of these sharpies and seen how it's done. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

You know the rest ***, as you obiously must know one of the secret sharpies out there to be even allowed to mention the clamzilla. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/wave.gif

I put this out there so maybe some of the guys who are getting frustrated with slow catches and long waiting times have something to hope for. If this interests you, you have to seek out the anonymous sharpie and ask them what they know of it. You'll find if you are respectful enough when you ask them, you may be invited on a clamzilla night fishing trip.

If so, consider yourself lucky

These are some of the funniest posts I have seen all season. You should consider having a "Best of" section here. I remembered reading them but lost the place they were at. It took a while to find these. Great stuff, keep them coming!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
03-28-2010, 06:54 PM
These are some of the funniest posts I have seen all season. You should consider having a "Best of" section here. I remembered reading them but lost the place they were at. It took a while to find these. Great stuff, keep them coming!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thanks Buckethead, I've been thinking of that for awhile now. If one or more people mentions an idea, that puts me in gear to do it. I'll keep ya posted, glad ya liked them.

Tips for fishin in front of the weather:
1. Bloodworms and tapes
2. Tommy scored some small today, morning and just now. :clapping:

rip316
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Tommy is the man.

DarkSkies
04-01-2010, 07:27 AM
1. You can't catch fish when the moon is full and bright. :rolleyes:

2. You can't catch fish on artificials in March. :rolleyes:

3. Clams are what ya want to catch the big early Spring bass. :rolleyes:

What's the common denominator to beat the odds in the above scenarios?

Find bait and actively (or sporadically) feeding fish. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif
Find water that's at the right temps.

Pic courtesy of OGB, 3-31-10 :thumbsup:

32" bass taken on a yozuri. :lookhappy:
Water 48 deg.
C&R to grow bigger.

DarkSkies
04-02-2010, 01:12 PM
People send me links to the most inane threads that people start on the internet. I know people are just starting out, but I wonder if people think before they ask these questions. :don't know why: Or more specifically, do they even do any research before they ask the questions.?

What is research? :huh:
Getting a little piece of information or intel, and using that info to learn more about how to fish, what to fish, and where to fish.

When is the best time to fish?
Low light situations, but that changes seasonally.

What does the water look like on the beach?
There are now dozens of cameras covering every major ocean beach. When Killie wants to know the conditions, he simply calls Finchaser. :laugh: :HappyWave:
For those of us not that fortunate, click on a cam, and see for yourself. I'm checking the surf cams at least 3x/day during the season. I don't want to hear how things are out there, I want to see for myself. :thumbsup:
(for the bays, I agree there are no cams, you have to kind of figure that out. You can tell a lot from minor comments in a person's reports, if they're kind enough to include the conditions. That's why my reports are so detailed sometimes.)

Here's my response to one of our newer members Cardoc:

Cardoc, (Your strategy to fish the incoming to the top was smart, BTW. :thumbsup: More on that in the Turd thread.)

Here's a guy who wants to learn. :thumbsup: He PMs me asking for weather and tide/temp links, and then sends me back some of his own that he's been using. :clapping: He's glad to hear the advice of others, but also wants to bring something to the table through his own effort. A guy like that I'm glad to help, because he doesn't want to be spoon fed, he wants to learn for himself, by researching and doing. And... he knows how to use the "Search" key before he asks his questions. :clapping:

Lesson for today, How will the water temps affect my fishing and when it's most optimal to fish?

1. One successful Spring pattern you hear about a lot is to "fish the outgoing as the warm water from the creeks and small streams will be the warmest as it dumps out into the bay." Generally, that's true.

2. When it's NOT true is important to learn as well. Storms, rain, noreasters, snow, etc, will all dump cold dirty water out to the bay via the rivers, creeks, and marshes. Outgoing will bring lots of debris, bulkheads, and assorted crap down to interfere with fishing.

3. In cases like this it's important to know the difference between ocean and bay temps. If the ocean water is warmer and you have trees and boat parts drifting on the outgoing, it should be a no brainer to fish the incoming where in some places the water is warmer and cleaner.

4. So why are folks still confused, Mr Turd Ferguson, you may ask? :don't know why:
Because a lot of people will look at one site, or gauge, and that's the extent of their motivation. Looking at ocean temps, and then comparing them to bay temps? :eek:
What a concept...Oh the horror, Turd, that's too much work, we just want to go fishing! :kooky:

5. Study the temp differentials all through the tide. Ask yourself "why" when the day is bright and sunny, you'll see a downward spike at some point in the day on the graph. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

6. Then compare the recorded temps and graphs to the tide charts for that area. If you look at them every day, like I do (at least 4x/day on a slow day :o), you may spot some trends or pattrns. That will be some scientific guidance as to when to start fishing, and for how long.

Take a look at these Raritan and Barnegat bay charts.
Come back at some time during the day, check them again with an understanding of the tides. How do they compare? How does the info you develop tomorrow compare with today? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

7. Above all, patterns are made to be broken. The toughest thing about fishing this Spring has been the lack of a consistent pattern. You may have something working for 2 days, for the next 3 days it's something else. Remember that temp guages and stations in the bay represent the temps taken at one spot and don't reflect all the geographical variations for that area. You also have to think about how wind and developing weather patterns will affect the bite as well. :learn:

8. The fisherman/woman who wants to truly learn and become better through their own efforts will challenge themselves to think about "Why" some of these things happen, and learn to profit by placing themselves more frequently in places where fish are likely to be.

Hope this helps, people. They didn't have any of this info available at your fingertips 20 years ago... ;)

fishinmission78
04-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I know people are just starting out, but I wonder if people think before they ask these questions. :don't know why: Or more specifically, do they even do any research before they ask the questions.?

7. Above all, patterns are made to be broken. The toughest thing about fishing this Spring has been the lack of a consistent pattern. You may have something working for 2 days, for the next 3 days it's something else. Remember that temp guages and stations in the bay represent the temps taken at one spot and don't reflect all the geographical variations for that area. You also have to think about how wind and developing weather patterns will affect the bite as well. :learn:

8. The fisherman/woman who wants to truly learn and become better through their own efforts will challenge themselves to think about "Why" some of these things happen, and learn to profit by placing themselves more frequently in places where fish are likely to be.

Hope this helps, people. They didn't have any of this info available at your fingertips 20 years ago... ;)

Right on, Dark (or Turd).

Why should people learn, they have people like you, and every internet and spring seminar they can think of where they can learn all this without trying. They don't want to put too many details in their heads. Mommy and Daddy did everything for them when they were kids, now they expect the whole world to cater to them too.

cardoc765
04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Well fishinmission, thats only because they want to have somone to blame when they don't catch fish. No matter how much I know about the subject, I am always open to learn more. I also am the type of person who like to share my knowledge with others too. i have posted before in the fishing reports section, it is important to go out and do your own homework. What happens to those who rely on others to teach them and put them into fish when that person leaves town forever. I guess they stop fishing. Be a report maker not a report chaser is my motto. I t would be easy for me to change where i am fishing and go after the reports. But the fish are all over the bay. I right now I am focussing on one area and learning it. For the most part it's slow all over. But I have learned that where I fish i thought top of the tide was good because we got 3 fish that way. But, yesterday it was 2 hours into incoming and then RIP's son get his at the top.

All this to say, I totally agree with Dark. Fishing is not catching. If it were there would be no fish left to catch by now. It's more of a hunting experience where you scout out area, look for signs of life, check times of day, temps, etc. and then go try your thing. hopefully it pays off for you.

rip316
04-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Well said Cardoc. You have to at the very least start to read up on the fish you re targeting. I am sure it is much easier now than it was back in the day with all of the information that is out there. I have only been fishing for bass for two years and only have,I would honestly say have 10 keepers. Rule #1 you have to put your time in. You have to ACTUALLY GET OFF OF YOUR DEAD *** AND GO TO THE BEACH AT LOW TIDE. Not have someone that knows take you out and say "throw it there"
Darkskies told me that before we would go fishing I would have to research the area I want to fish and give him 5 spots that could be productive or he would never speak to me again or be my friend. (thought u would laugh at that Dark) That is why we as individuals have to go out there and put in the time and learn how to catch fish.

DarkSkies
04-03-2010, 10:43 AM
You have to at the very least start to read up on the fish you re targeting. ...You have to ACTUALLY GET OFF OF YOUR DEAD *** AND GO TO THE BEACH AT LOW TIDE. Not have someone that knows take you out and say "throw it there"
Darkskies told me that before we would go fishing I would have to research the area I want to fish and give him 5 spots that could be productive or he would never speak to me again or be my friend. (thought u would laugh at that Dark) That is why we as individuals have to go out there and put in the time and learn how to catch fish.

:laugh: :clapping:
Hey I didn't say that I would never speak to ya, I said I wouldn't help ya any more! :moon:
I still feel that way, I'm always willing to help people who have the motivation to help themselves as well by doing the work to learn.

That's how I learned. It was valuable to me to have to get that info as little pieces of the puzzle. I'm still learning every day. :learn:

The reason I made ya do that is I wanted you to be able to transfer that knowledge and deductive reasoning to any opportunities you'll have in the future to fish a different area. The dynamics wouldn't have worked if I just gave ya some street names.

Ya done good man, you're learning the right way. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

rockhopper
04-03-2010, 11:01 AM
The reason I made ya do that is I wanted you to be able to transfer that knowledge and deductive reasoning to any opportunities you'll have in the future to fish a different area. The dynamics wouldn't have worked if I just gave ya some street names.

:clapping:

rip316
04-03-2010, 12:44 PM
And I thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

DarkSkies
04-08-2010, 10:28 AM
^ Anytime bro. :thumbsup:

Tip for the day:

Eff the clams.
Find the bunker, chunk it. ;) :fishing:

Time to fish your spearing and small profile hard and soft plastics deep in the night too. Don't be shy. :lookhappy:

DarkSkies
04-11-2010, 12:29 AM
I visited the Belford pirates 2 days ago for some bait. They told me action had started to pick up in the bay and a new body of bass had moved in. Even though the water temps have gone down, now is the time to fish. It's worth it to be out there. :moon:

DarkSkies
04-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Tip for the day:
Eff the clams.

Gotta retract that for a few days until the bunker are thicker. As crazy as it sounds, even though clams don't live in the bay, they still seem to be producing.

Tommy got 2 decent fish among others fishing way in the back, this morning. Nicest ones were 14, and 24. :clapping: :thumbsup: Clams
It might be shifting to an early morning bite, too early to determine it as a pattern, though. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

finchaser
04-11-2010, 07:15 PM
They are feeding on the last of the incoming tide and guess what thats early morning now. You bait guys are amazing:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
04-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Wish it were that easy Fin. :don't know why:

We fished the whole of the incoming last night till 9:30 or a little later this morning, and part of the ebb. If that pattern was golden throughout the bay we would have had dozens of bass, and/or guys fishing in the late afternoon would have scored big time as well... Yet we skunked so heavily you could have smelled us in Louisiana. ;)

I think it's time...

We need to start the Finchaser seminar series...

to be continued in another thread...:HappyWave:

rip316
04-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Early morning bite sucks too.

bababooey
04-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I visited the Belford pirates 2 days ago for some bait. They told me action had started to pick up in the bay and a new body of bass had moved in. Even though the water temps have gone down, now is the time to fish. It's worth it to be out there. :moon:

Right on the $$ with that call, dark.:thumbsup:
This is from Ristori's column yesterday -

Stripers flood into Raritan Bay and Shore waters

By Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html)

April 11, 2010, 8:49PM

Striped bass have arrived earlier than ever along the Shore and in Raritan Bay. Several years ago there were a couple of seasons that opened with large bass on bunker chunks off Staten Island during late April, but that only repeated one more year -- and was later in the month than the present run. The last two springs have been poor in the bay, and the early clam fishing has been very inconsistent, but it now appears that a good body of larger bass has moved in.

DarkSkies
04-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I really hate to say this, but there's a hot clam bite in the ocean right now. Some keepers 28-33" are being pulled in, beginning and end of day. If you're out there in the hot sun expecting a fish, good luck. But the times I mentioned are producing.

Good luck, I'm hooked on the arti action. Worse than a crack addict. :laugh: :plastered: :drool:

rip316
04-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Here is the best thing that I have learned so far. YOU CAN NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ ON ANY POST, REPORT, BITE, BAIT, LURES, SPOT, AREA, BEACH, TIDE, or any other buts of information that is out ther. A report is just that. You have to go out there with your own knowledge and thinking and get REALLLLLYYY LLLUUCCCKKKYYYY.
I have been reading for a while now that at one moment there's a small piece of advise here and there but, all in all that info may have been good that day or that tide or on that bait. It doesn't mean jack spit when you actually get out there and put to the test the info in your own brain and catch some fish yourself and be your own report. I will no longer read the report section on this site until I post on what I catch myself and then you guys can run around and chase the fish I caught on clams today that tomorrow will be feeding on bunker when I caught them on the incoming when tomorrow it will be the bottom of the outgoing.
Sorry for the rant. I am just pist at myself for listening to everyone else and still not catching consistantly. Tomorrow or the next day, I will be the report.

DarkSkies
04-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Sorry for the rant. I am just pist at myself for listening to everyone else and still not catching consistantly. Tomorrow or the next day, I will be the report.

You had to work late a few nights this week and missed out. You're always trying your best to learn, contribute to the site, and help others when you can. Family and work should come first though. :thumbsup:

As for being ashamed at not catching, no one catches all the time, that's life! The only people who should have "fishing shame" are those who think they're somehow better people than others because of the fish they catch. You'll gettum soon, and whether you catch em or not good mojo will come your way. :HappyWave:

A little bird tells me you'll be catchin fish by the beginning of next week. ;)

DarkSkies
04-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I really hate to say this, but there's a hot clam bite in the ocean right now. Some keepers 28-33" are being pulled in, beginning and end of day. If you're out there in the hot sun expecting a fish, good luck. But the times I mentioned are producing.

Good luck, I'm done with clams for now. I'm hooked on the arti action. Worse than a crack addict. :laugh: :plastered: :drool:

The clam blitzes continue, you mooks and googans. ;)
Today I got a bunch of reports, bass were caught on clams in a 30 mile stretch from Monmouth to Ocean counties. Some places were pure bass, no bluefish. Catch em up. :moon:
Please try not to take more than you can use. There's no real purpose served weighing in (3) 8# bass at a tackle shop just because you have a bonus tag....:don't know why:

DarkSkies
04-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Fin says this all the time, he's right.

When you hear the tackle shops hyping all the recent beach blitzes, remember that many of those blitzes happen because fish are in hot pursuit of adult bunker and end up near the surf line. When the blitzes are over, the bunker (survivors ;)) and the big fish move on as part of the seasonal migration. A guy buys the "special" clams and bunker from the tackle shop, walks on the beach hours after the report, catches no fish, and wonders why.

What we really need for sustained Spring surf action is the various whitebait...rainfish, bay anchovies, herring etc. Some have reported these in small amounts, and some members here have reported sand eels, thanks. :thumbsup:

My point is that generally by this time of year the surf zone has a lot of this bait making its northern migration. We haven't seen the bulk of these forage fish yet, and that's why there will be large stretches of "dead water". If there's nothing to hold the fish, they move on.

Look for consistent action on artificials when you see these fish more consistently in the surf. I'm hoping that will happen within the next week or so, as these small fish are definitely late this year.

wish4fish
04-29-2010, 01:32 PM
tuuuuuurd!
ferguson!:ROFLMAO
lol

DarkSkies
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
tuuuuuurd!
ferguson!:ROFLMAO
lol

Yup, and you're a young punk who can't stay out all night. :HappyWave: I'd rather be Turd, it fits me. :laugh:

DarkSkies
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I hate recommending storm shads when big bluefish are around. Wish4fish and I each went through 2 packs and some singles I had laying around. It's an expensive way to catch fish. Bucktails or leadheads with rubber are usually a better alternative. :learn:

But last night the storm shads outproduced all other presentations even though there wasn't much bait around in the water. It is what it is, gotta roll with what works.

My last 2 keepers came on storm shads.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
05-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Bunker and clams still a good choice...

1. They had a hot clam bite in the nomoco ocean for most of the day.

2. There has been a great bite on bunker heads, as nice size bass and some big blues are nailed where the bunker are thickest at night. I passed by one of those areas on the way out, saw bunker stacked by the hundreds.Live and learn. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
05-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Did that get your attention?
Good.

What people need to realize is that for the surf guys we have a specific season to get big fish off NJ beaches. You can always catch a few short bass or cocktail bluefish. I'm talking about targeting bluefish from shore in the 15# class, and bass 25 and above at night.

These are all generalizations, you or I can each come up with examples to dispute what I'm saying.

However, the next 30 to 45 days should generally be the best of the surf action we'll have till the fall, with the action generally dropping off after that if seasonal patterns hold. If someone asked me which of the next 30 to 45 days or nights to fish, I would say all of them. :kooky:

If you're keeping a detailed log with many years in it, you can plan your trips for the big girls. However, generally speaking, they will show up within the next 2-3 weeks in our surf. They're out there now offshore making their northern migration.

There are only 2 things to hold them close to us, weather and bait. Weather includes water temps and storm patterns. A spring pattern of intermittent storms ain't so bad because it keeps the water temps down. Ocean temps now are already flirting in the mid-60's in places.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/355.html

Once those temps hit the 70's, bass generally will seek cooler water North of us.

A key variable that will hold them is bait and bait migration. A sustained series of W winds will bring bunker tight into the beach and allow some of us to be bunker snagging heroes. ;) :plastered: :fishing:

Without that pattern, the bass will continue their migration North, frequently cutting across the Mud Hole to LI and points North, as Finchaser so often says.

Even the bluefish action isn't guaranteed from night to night. Big bass and bluefish are shadowing the largest bunker schools. The water is already getting too warm in the bay flats for those big blues. They will be moving offshore to spawn very soon. Then all that will be left is the 1-3# cocktails and tailor blues. :(

If you're addicted to big fish action from the surf, the time to be out is now. So get off your azzes and put some hours into pounding the sand and rocks!

Of course, I would be equally as happy if everyone stayed home, all the more space for me. ;) :HappyWave:

wish4fish
05-05-2010, 09:18 PM
If you're addicted to big fish action from the surf, the time to be out is now. So get off your azzes and put some hours into pounding the sand and rocks!

yeah move your asses out there and fish!!!! :lookhappy:

wish4fish
05-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I hate recommending storm shads when big bluefish are around. Wish4fish and I each went through 2 packs and some singles I had laying around.

yeah but it was a good nite lol, mad blues!

DarkSkies
05-17-2010, 06:03 PM
From today's report:

One noticeable thing to me was a distinct lack of small bait in the ocean and bay areas I visited. That bait is the glue that keeps the surf action more consistent and brings bluefish in... in turn calling in bass to scoop up what's left.

Bunker drag the bass and big bluefish to or away from an area like a vacuum. We really need more schools of small forage fish to move along the surf line, or it will be a continuous loop of cars and SUVs driving back and forth looking for the scattered bunker schools. ;)

DarkSkies
05-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Bunker drag the bass and big bluefish to or away from an area like a vacuum. We really need more schools of small forage fish to move along the surf line, or it will be a continuous loop of cars and SUVs driving back and forth looking for the scattered bunker schools.

That doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Large schools of rainfish have appeared in the surf, big bass were on them and bunker today. Also bay anchovy schools are building both in the surf and the back bays.

After the water lays down and nothing else seems to work, ya might wanna break out the teasers for fishing other times than when a blitz is in front of you.

Speaking of blitzes, congrats to all the guys who hooked up today, and braved the intense surf. I heard some great stories related to me. Wish I could have been there, congrats to the few who were there at the right time and place. I'm sure those memories will last a lifetime. :thumbsup: :fishing:

gjb1969
05-19-2010, 12:20 AM
well u could use the cheap swim shads like the ones made by south bend for there hurricane brand and if u get bit off its part of the game :fishing:

DarkSkies
05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
1., Rubber - it's what's for dinner

well u could use the cheap swim shads like the ones made by south bend for there hurricane brand and if u get bit off its part of the game :fishing:

Gotta get that rubber wholesale, thanks G.
Rubber, it's what's for dinner.

2. When the water is colder, sandworms outfish clams, and sometimes bunker, at times other than early spring.
Don't believe me? Try it and find out for yourself.

DarkSkies
05-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Surfwalker, talked to one guy last night who had 2 short bass on artificials, he confirmed those first light comments. It seems to me there's a point to that as well. People have been catching fish in the dark on artificials, but after a lot of effort.

It seems for now the first light bite is a better than the night bite, unless you're fly fishing grass shrimp patterns at night. I try to reason things like this in my head all the time, talked with Jim Cousins at Giglio's this morning to get his take on it.

There were bass all over popping on grass shrimp for awhile. The bite seemed slow, even for the bait guys. (Yet I did get a pic of a guy who got a 21 last night, slack tide, bunker head)

Just some helpful hints. ;)

DarkSkies
06-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Figuring a pattern:
In the past few days I have been discussing with some people how it seems the night and day fishing pattern, if there is one, tends to favor the incoming tide. Last night, I got fish on the first 2 hours of the outgoing. As far as figuring a pattern, a big frustration for me this year is the lack of a pattern for any consistent amount of time.

Bunker along the NJ Coast:
Some new schools were spotted and have been reported all along the internet sites. There may be a very few bass under them, not many like people were finding last week. Once the bunker boats get to them in the next 24 hours, this info will be moot anyway. ;)

DarkSkies
06-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Bunker along the NJ Coast:
Some new schools were spotted and have been reported all along the internet sites. There may be a very few bass under them, not many like people were finding last week. Once the bunker boats get to them in the next 24 hours, this info will be moot anyway. ;)

Bunker are still around, and nervous. :d

On the way home scouted some back bay areas. Lots of dirty water and chocolate milk. The ocean was a little discolored as well.

For those who're fishin anything other than the ocean in the next 2 days, ya might want to consider fishin bait because of the dirty water.

Soft shell crabs...
Now's the time to use em in the ocean. ;)

DarkSkies
07-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I was gonna say you people should be fishing the incoming tides during these months, but Surfstix beat me to it. :thumbsup:

I fished the ocean this morning for a short while, the incoming definitely brings cooler water.

Go deep and slow the warm water this year will make them sluggish, inlets are the best bet incoming is usually better getting some cooler more oxygenated water flow and as the others have said fish at night or early a.m. and dusk.

DarkSkies
10-03-2010, 12:41 PM
All the mullet didn't leave with the full moon we had a few weeks ago. Additionally, there are schools of peanut and adult bunker coming down from the North, schools numbering in the thousands. They rest in some of the harbors at night, and then move on after a day or so.

In many cases the adults are sliding offshore and following a path 1-10 miles out. The peanuts have been travelling closer to shore. In any event, the recent Noreast pattern has them moving quicker, and lounging around less.

Once this weather shifts to a NW pattern, look for this onslaught of bait to spark up some incredible fishing. That will be great for surfcasters IF they are near the surf zone.

Remember folks, I can't always put ya on fish, that's up to you. :learn:

But I can share about the circumstances and trends that will bring them near us. Actually, they're around right at this moment. :lookhappy: The difficulty is reachin em. :drool: :fishing:

DarkSkies
10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
1.Mullet are still around.

2. Eel time - time for eels, bass up to 23# nailed in the channels. :lookhappy:

DarkSkies
10-08-2010, 10:51 AM
RB and BB water temps have dropped 10 degrees in the past 7 days. The low 60's and high 50's are prime temps for bass, and will push the baitfish along on their southern migration as well.

Mullet are still along the beaches and bays. In some years they're already gone by now.

The new moon tides will give the surf guys more chances to connect with bigger fall fish as they offer good exposure and longer fishing time for strategic areas that the fish pass by... edges, inlets, points, etc.

So get yer azzes out there and put in the time in, the opportunity is there. :thumbsup: :drool: :fishing:

bababooey
10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Nice to see you posting Turd.:plastered:
Blues and bass are just offshore, hopefully you surf nuts will grab a few. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

DarkSkies
10-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks Bababooey, catch em up. :HappyWave:

Pebbles and I were out this morning, only 1/2 hr fishing because we missed the bite. We did see birds working small bait 1/4 mile to a mile offshore, just out of reach of surfcasters. The NW wind will set things up, but unfortunately according to the extended weather forecast might not be sustained.
Still, it was a good opportunity for the kayakers and the boats. :fishing:

I met a few new people this morning. If you're part of any group I was talkin to, be aware that a 22# bass was caught on clams around 5-6am yesterday, and weighed in at Giglio's.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4033&highlight=giglio%27s
There's a good pre-sunrise bite in the area I met you people in, keep at it and fish hard. :lookhappy:

jigfreak
10-10-2010, 09:26 PM
So close yet so far. I heard a lot of them are about 6 miles off, might as well have a rocket launcher. And you can't fish for them in the EEZ either.

DarkSkies
10-24-2010, 12:46 AM
If I hear one more guy say "the full moon ruins the fishing" I'm gonna start foaming out of the side of my mouth. :kooky:

-Phosphorescence ruins the fishing...
-Too much boat traffic can ruin the fishing...
-Selfish fishermen can ruin the fishing...
-Ego-driven spot burners who have a need to clue people in where they're fishing can ruin the fishing...
-Crowds can ruin the fishing...we met some older guys tonight who left one crowded place to fish in peace and solitude, some of these guys knew Pizza Joe, Seabright Freddie, and Chuckwagon Chuck. :thumbsup:

Tonight, there was only scattered bait, a tiny fraction of what had been around. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

That can ruin the fishing. :learn:

cowherder
10-24-2010, 12:27 PM
-Ego-driven spot burners who have a need to clue people in where they're fishing can ruin the fishing...

Right on, maybe those are the guys who never got attention in school or at home. Why else would you want to bring a lot of strangers in where you are fishing? Thanks Turd! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-26-2010, 03:04 PM
^ You're welcome.

Last night's S wind dirtied up the water a bit in the ocean. Think about that if you're fishin plugs at night, what colors are good to overcome this obstacle? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
10-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Some reporters, outdoor writers, and fishing guides have been at the beach within the last 24 hours. It's only a matter of time before Al gets wind of it and puts the story up.

I give it 48 more hours before the whole NJ population of salt water anglers decides to take a drive and sample the acclaimed fishin. :lynchmob: :viking:

Enjoy the solitude while you can. Remember the chaos we had last year in November when a website posted hourly updates of who was catching what, where, and with GPS coordinates. ;) :don't know why:

jigfreak
10-28-2010, 09:50 AM
^^^ You nailed that prediction ds, 3 minutes after you posted that he posted on his daily blog. You must be psychic.:d
I hate that just when surf action gets good, it has to be promoted and publicized. And you can never tell Al anything that he won't blab to the public. He doesn't know the meaning of the word secret.

DarkSkies
10-29-2010, 03:00 PM
^ What can I say, Jigfreak? ;)

The man has to write for a living, and part of that is talking about locations where they're catching fish. That's one of the things that keeps me from selling my writing skills for magazine or news fishing articles. :beatin:

That's part of what they want you to deliver, and I'm not sure I could do that.

Surf update 10-29
If using rubber, is the jig too light or too heavy? Dragging on the bottom is as bad as being on the top. Many sandeels spend their lives about 6" from the bottom. Think about that as you make your presentation.

If those are around are catching and you're not, what are they doing differently? Often it's a slight variation in retrieve between yours and their retrieve. Figure it out, and you'll hook up.
Today a friend presented me with this dilemma. In going over what he was using, we figured out his leader was too heavy. Unless you're fishing rocks or specifically targeting bigger fish at night, a lighter leader is fine for daytime fishing and smaller presentations and fish. Try it and see the difference. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

Metal, not just for Motorhead fans...
Metal seems to be gaining an edge in the daytime over rubber now, but don't overlook throwing metal at night, as has been mentioned here by others.

Last but not least.....
Be willing to experiment with your presentation if you're not catchin.
This morning the usual presentations weren't doing it for me, I then got 3 fish in a row on a yellow dressed bucktail.

DarkSkies
10-29-2010, 03:27 PM
I feel when all the stats become known, the Tue and Wed of this week may come to be referred to as the "you should have been there!!" nights for the 2010 NJ surfcasting season. ;)

It's all downhill from here on after. :(

Tremendous fishin right now, and tremendous disappointments as well. Many guys are putting in their time and getting :skunk:. The only consistent pattern I've seen so far is that fish are around when bait is heavy. However, just because bait is heavy doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll catch, OR that fish will be in that location. Figuring the time, tide, and stage of tide might be helpful during a normal fall surf season, but this season so far has proven to be anything but normal.

Those who spend a lot of time fishin will get more fish, or more quality fish. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

An hour or 2 fishing here or there, unfortunately for the way the good bite has been, will not cut it. You not only have to position yourself where the fish are likely to show up, but be adept enough to recognize what the best presentation for that night is, based on weather and tide patterns. Good luck people. I hope the action continues. :fishing:

DarkSkies
11-09-2010, 09:52 AM
For those guys throwing metal,

green and white seem to be hot tube colors for the last 2 days. :thumbsup:
Fast retrieve.

DarkSkies
11-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Tackle shop owners and some people are blaming the full moon for the current lack of numbers of fish in the NJ surf. Don't believe the hype.

The complete total biomass of striped bass for the E Coast now centers on a body of fish between Montauk and the Delaware Bay, with a few exceptions. The fish haven't shown up in numbers in the Chessy yet, only some dribs and drabs.

That means the entire striped bass E Coast population is now concentrated between Montauk and the Delaware Bay. A straight-line nautical distance of about 100 miles, give or take a few. Anyone who has the exact distance feel free to post it up. :cool:

The biomass is shrinking.
This has been gov't documented and I'll post more in another thread when I get the chance.

I'm posting this here because when you read the tackle shop reports and the justifications why there are less fish, please be aware that...

"It's the full moon"
"We need some whitewater"
"We need some more sand eels in the surf"

These excuses are merely masks for the real issues. Learn to read between the lines. Don't just believe what I say. Educate yourselves. There are many members here more seasoned than I who have been saying the same thing for years.

I wonder if people will start listening now...or if it will take another mediocre surf season to grab peoples' attention? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

DarkSkies
11-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Herring are here, in the surf and in the inlets, and just out of reach at times.
Remember that... when you throw Avas and can't get a hit. Match the herring profile and you should hook up, wider metal, slim poppers, and herring profile swimmers.

Tiny schoolies are also here.
We're nearing the end of the season. Not much time left, catch em up.

lostatsea
11-27-2010, 06:00 AM
I feel when all the stats become known, the Tue and Wed of this week may come to be referred to as the "you should have been there!!" nights for the 2010 NJ surfcasting season. ;)

It's all downhill from here on after. :(

Tremendous fishin right now, and tremendous disappointments as well.

The complete total biomass of striped bass for the E Coast now centers on a body of fish between Montauk and the Delaware Bay, with a few exceptions. The fish haven't shown up in numbers in the Chessy yet, only some dribs and drabs.

That means the entire striped bass E Coast population is now concentrated between Montauk and the Delaware Bay. A straight-line nautical distance of about 100 miles, give or take a few. Anyone who has the exact distance feel free to post it up. :cool:
The biomasss is shrinking.
This has been gov't documented and I'll post more in another thread when I get the chance.

I wonder if people will start listening now...or if it will take another mediocre surf season to grab peoples' attention? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

Dark. I was wondering how these statements compare with each other, as I read them as being contradictory. On one hand, it seemed like you said it was a good surf season. In the post underneath that, you say the biomass is shrinking. I can tell you there is a tremendous amount of bait and bass and bluefish within 3 miles of the surf.

How is it possible to have 2 totally different perspectives with both of them being accurate?

DarkSkies
11-27-2010, 06:16 PM
It about Matching the Hatch. Flys under 3 inches are catching. I was fishing a sandeel pattern and nothing. I seen Rainfish break and cut my fly to about 2 to 2 1/2 got hit on the next cast. Caught a bass with in the Next 10 casts. Then it got real windy had to quit. It's always fun on the flyrod.

Vpass makes an excellent point here. Sandeels are around, but very small. Today the ones I was snagging were 3" at most. There are also rainfish in the surf, 1-2". Match these bait profiles and you'll increase your hookups.

DarkSkies
11-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Dark. I was wondering how these statements compare with each other, as I read them as being contradictory. On one hand, it seemed like you said it was a good surf season. In the post underneath that, you say the biomass is shrinking. I can tell you there is a tremendous amount of bait and bass and bluefish within 3 miles of the surf.

How is it possible to have 2 totally different perspectives with both of them being accurate?

Lostatsea, apologies for the late response to this. I wanted to do it when I had a chance to sit down and go into some detail.

First of all, We need more people to ask questions like that.
Part of my response can be seen here, in the "Where are the striped bass" thread
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?760-Where-are-the-Striped-Bass&p=44400#post44400

or in Finchaser's "Decline of bass" thread
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7271-Decline-of-bass

The explanation lies in the so-called M&M theory on page 7 or 8 of the first referenced thread.
Yes, this was a good year for some surfcasters.

There was a night during the week of Oct 13 when some bass to 46# were landed on a north jersey beach, all on artificials, over 100 keepers total for that one beach. That's an unusual catch for surfcasting at night with artificials in NJ. So that's why I mentioned it. The guys who were there that night will remember it forever.

And, there have been so many big fish landed on bunker in an Ocean County surf area during the last half of Oct and half of Nov that I imagine this year will be a year for the record books with those catches.

Yet, those aren't the only 2 areas in NJ that should hold fish.

By and large, the surf bite has been sporadic, short-lived, and concentrated around only a few key areas this year. A reasonable explanation could be that there are less fish on the edges, according to the M&M theory.

On a boat, you can always find fish in the middle of any concentration.

Realistically, the surf fishermen are the first to tell if there are less fish because they fish on the "edges".

I hope this explained it somewhat. Review those threads I linked in here. Then, if you, still have questions, feel free, ask away. Thank you for asking an interesting question. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon14.png

DarkSkies
12-05-2010, 09:12 AM
As Finchaser and others have said, the afternoon bite is shaping up as the time to be out there. The surf temps are dropping. Any sunny day will give them a slight bump, and spur a finite afternoon bite. At times that bite will only be an hour before dark, but it's better than nothing. :fishing:

jigfreak
12-05-2010, 09:53 PM
^^Yup.:)

stripermania
12-06-2010, 07:40 AM
At times that bite will only be an hour before dark, but it's better than nothing. :fishing:

I'm sorry Turd, but I think an hour of good fishing is pretty lame. What happened to the great November and December blitzes of years past?

DarkSkies
12-07-2010, 07:51 AM
^^ Stripermania, here's some light reading for ya! :HappyWave:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?760-Where-are-the-Striped-Bass&highlight=where+are+the+bass

There are a lot of opinions on the correct answers to your question. Each answer can be disputed. Many of our theories are based on scientific numbers that are at best, guesstimates.

Some say the fish are all offshore, making them less available for the surf guys.
Others cite anecdotal experience that their surf catches have been steadily declining, and the biomass is shrinking.

I met such an old timer on the beach yesterday. He's not an internet guy, he only cares about fishing, and his immediate circle of friends and experiences. He told me this is the worst 2 years for surf fishing, on the whole, for him since the moratorium in 1982. That says a lot to me. :learn:

Let me know if you have any more questions after reading the thread above. We have several more threads here like that. Just do a search on "striped bass biomass" or "striped bass decline", etc, here. Feel free to PM me any time, or post any further questions.

Talk to any of the old timers who fish every day, and you'll begin to get a clearer picture.

finchaser
12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I met such an old timer on the beach yesterday. He's not an internet guy, he only cares about fishing, and his immediate circle of friends and experiences. He told me this is the worst 2 years for surf fishing, on the whole, for him since the moratorium in 1982. That says a lot to me. :learn:

And it's going to get worse,as there were not allot of small fish moving south for the past 3 years

DarkSkies
04-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Some thoughts about using artificials at night right now.....from the NJ fishing reports thread

"there are juvenile bass feeding in a few places where small bait has appeared, but this is often just out of reach. Some kayakyers I know have been doing well. Again, it's still hit or miss. And the guys I know slinging bait have complained it's slowed down in the last 2 nights. The water temp has dropped, but the overall trend pattern is still rising.

Like FnM said, it makes sense to put the time in now while a lot of people aren't crowding ya.

The end of a sunny or warmer day, right before dark, would be the best chances of someone catching on artificials at the early spring places. But that all depends on the tide. Last night best tides were later at night."

DarkSkies
04-12-2011, 08:58 PM
More bass are coming, into the bays where we all fish. :fishing: The inconsistency is frustrating, but certain segments of the waters have awoken. There are some quality fish around now. If I didn't have to work, I would be out there every chance I could in the next week.

Be aware, this doesn't mean bass are all over the place. But they are concentrated, in certain areas throughout N and S Jersey. As soon as the temps get more uniform, this may no longer be the case as these bass move elsewhere in search for food. Just some "food for thought", people. :cool:

DarkSkies
04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
The window is open.....

FYI Good conditions throughout the night and into the false dawn. HT at around 4:30AM tomorrow. Once the sun starts shining again, this window could close....

jason
04-14-2011, 02:18 AM
Every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut. Thanks Mr. Ferguson. :idea:

DarkSkies
04-17-2011, 01:44 PM
You're quite welcome... if squirrels were all blind I would be leading them all with bells on the googan bucket. :laugh: ;)

Bluefish update......
I'm gonna make a prediction that people will start picking up racer bluefish in the BB and RB areas sometime this week or by the beginning of next.
They've already been caught in the ocean, though only for a few minuites.

What will probably happen is bait guys in Nomoco oceanside will report them first, or we'll get some reports of inlet bluefish along the NJ Coast.

As soon as the chocolate milk settles down, people should be getting them on small poppers in the usual back bay spots. This would be a great opportunity to take the kids fishing, folks. They easily tire of shore fishing and waiting hours for a striped bass to hit. The bluefish grab their attention better than most fish, and are perfect fish to bring children of many ages fishing for.

I'll set up some more details in another thread, but really want to see more kids out there bluefishing this year. Dads who sincerely want to take their kids out, and are not just selfishly looking for spots, feel free to PM me any time. I'll do the best I can to get you and the kids into some bluefish. :fishing:

DarkSkies
04-20-2011, 12:51 AM
Some big drum have come into the bays. Hold your rods and don't stray too far, lest you be the one to come here and cry your tale of woe about the "monster" that got away.... :eek:

fishinmission78
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Drum really start to get aggressive during a full moon. Waiting for my first one this year.

DarkSkies
04-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Got some nice bass pics sent to me last night via phone.

We're coming off the full moon, these next few days are prime fishin times for the dark side. The first few nights of a waning gibbous moon can bring incredible fishing action. Mark that down in your notebooks, guys and gals. ;)
Tides are still strong, waters are higher than normal, giving you a longer than normal window in certain areas.

Remember that the bunker move from night to night, usually moving out with the tides. The bunker you see today may not be the same that were there yesterday, as they have moved on in many instances. What guys are seeing is new bunker that comes in to feed for the night, and then moves on.

As for finding them, they tend to swim into the wind.

If we have a hard E, ask yourself where they could be if swimming into the E will give them shelter somewhere?
Same for a W or hard NW, ask yourself where they could be tucked in, in a situation like that. Try to challenge yourself with these types of questions, and you'll improve your skill set. :learn:

wish4fish
04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
yeahbaby there r bass under the big bunker schools and some blue dogs too dark stop being a loner and answer your phone and stop by one nite!:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Wsih4fish, will do, your crew has been putting in their time, wtg. :HappyWave:

From today:
Fishin report, fished the bay 4-7:30am today, a few bass to 31", and 2 bluefish, light bucktails and small swimmers. The fish I got were in the middle to the bottom of the water column.

When fish are in an excited state over baitfish or bunker as the water temps rise, "Slow and low" presentation isn't always necessary. But when the water is still a little cold and they're not hitting top water, think of where they may be. They could be right there and you don't know it because you ain't presenting to them right. You can't go wrong with a light bucktail or rubber with lead for early spring. :learn:

If those presentations don't yield anything, it's time to move on to the next spot.

cowherder
04-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Mr Turd, I would like to add to that, if I might.:HappyWave: I haven't been out that much this season because of family responsibilities but continue to enjoy the reports and banter here.
I got 2 fish on clams today, but the strikes were not aggressive. So I would add when you are bait fishing, hold the rod or stay very close to it. You will miss the fish if you are not doing this.

DarkSkies
05-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the input Cowherder. Anyone can jump in this thread at any time, that's what makes it interesting, so feel free, folks. Special attention given to the most inflammatory or goog-tastic questions. :laugh: ;)

The latest tidbit---
Slow and low is the way to go....

This may seem 2nd nature to some for this time of year.
The water is cold and despite the sudden rise in bay temps, the fish are still sluggish.

I tried to help a new guy last week. He had $1000 worth of gear :scared: a St Croix top of the line rod, premium tackle bag, filled with all the brand-name expensive $30 plugs,,,,yet he was casting a 12" pencil popper in a deep water area.

I asked him if he wanted some feedback on what he was doing, he said yes.

So I tried......
The right presentation for that area is bucktails, rubber.
Fish are on the bottom, I tried to explain to him....
I went on to explain a little about deep-water presentation, and asked him if he wanted to sharpen his casting skills by going after a few bluefish... :viking:

"Bluefish????" He asked me in disdain, a look of shock filling his goog-tastic aura....;)
"Well, if thats all thats there, thanks but no thanks...." :upck:

Ain't nothing wrong with learning to sharpen your skill set by targeting and releasing a couple 100 bluefish. :huh: Then, when you finally catch a big bass you won't drop it due to googan error. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Maybe the way I think, learning at the school of hard knocks and opportunities taken, doesn't exist for a lot of people anymore....That's ok, that's the way I learned, and damn glad to have done it that way. :thumbsup:

fishinmission78
05-05-2011, 05:09 PM
"Bluefish????" He asked me in disdain, a look of shock filling his goog-tastic aura....;)
"Well, if thats all thats there, thanks but no thanks...." :upck:

Ain't nothing wrong with learning to sharpen your skill set by targeting and releasing a couple 100 bluefish. :huh: Then, when you finally catch a big bass you won't drop it due to googan error. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Maybe the way I think, learning at the school of hard knocks and opportunities taken, doesn't exist for a lot of people anymore....That's ok, that's the way I learned, and damn glad to have done it that way. :thumbsup:

I learned the same way, darkskies, trial and error. No internet, no cell phone chain, no facebook buddy lists, just good old fashioned sweat and walking and walking until you learned the cuts and troths. I don't feel bad saying this, a guy like that doesn't deserve to catch a fish. Buying high end stuff doesn't make you a fisherman, putting in your time and learning to read the waterr does. Today I got some bass. I have been out for the last 2 weeks, no fish so I didnt report. At least I was out there trying, and I didn't need $1000 worth of gear to do it.

BassBuddah
05-06-2011, 01:34 PM
The latest tidbit---
Slow and low is the way to go....

This may seem 2nd nature to some for this time of year.
The water is cold and despite the sudden rise in bay temps, the fish are still sluggish.

Great advice DS.:thumbsup: You are spot on about that for this time of year. The fish this morning were on the bottom. Reeling metal quickly high in the water column got no results for some guys next to me. After they saw me catch a few, I advised them to start dragging the bottom, and they hooked up. When the water is cold, they don't behave like the nutty bluefish we are used to seeing. Also, I sharpened my fishing skills like you did the old fashioned way, through hard work, trial and error.

DarkSkies
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I hear ya BassBuddah! When we started fishing there was no internet or seminars.
Just pounding beach after beach, getting skunked, and refining your technique as you learned little bits and pieces of the puzzle. When you have to work for something, I think you appreciate it more. :learn:

Rainfish are here.....

I did see some rainfish 1-2", and some small blues harassing them. Tried different presentations. They nipped at the ends of small rubber, so I went with small swimmers and downsized until I got action. Picky bite on rainfish, missed quite a few. Managed 4 small blues to 5#. That bite died before first light.

Now would be a good time to use the smallest swimmers you have in the back bay when rainfish are around, make sure ya upgrade the hooks. ;)
Also if you have teasers that match that profile, fish them.

With not many sources of forage in the back bays other than bunker, it's been slim pickins for a lot of the predators, and a lot of the bass and bluefish have migrated on to SI, Jbay, and LI. Hopefully as the rainfish become more concentrated it will encourage the bass and blues to stick around for awhile...:fishing:

DarkSkies
05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Concentrate on the ocean bite....now is a good time to get out there, figure out where the fish are passing by, and try to put yourself near the pathway they have been taking. The spawns are mostly done and the fish are on the move in their northern migration. A 43# bass was caught in OcCo yesterday on a pencil in rough surf. Even though the surf was big, the water, which had been full of weeds, was clean for periods of time.

Late last week, a 70lb drum was landed on the Misty Morn out of Morgan as they fished Raritan Bay for bass. A friend sent me the pic, I'll post it soon.

A 47# bass was caught on Sun morning in the MoCo surf on a clam. The pics of that fish don't do it justice, it was a real slob. The belly was relatively empty, one fluke, and some small fish.The fish was spawned out. If that fish had been caught when she was feeding on bunker, she would have been a legitimate 50. Congrats to M, who fishes all the time, and was in the right place at the right time to nail that cow! (And didn't need to brag about it on the internet) :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:

I've been getting some pics of some nice bass people sent in to me. I've been a little busy and haven't had time to post. I'll post the ones I have permission to, when I get a chance.

Know that some quality fish are out there. There are less and less of these big fish around. I'll go into details backing that up in another thread.

If you do get one of these big fish, please ask yourself if your life will really be that much better if you parade it around to all the internet sites and tackle shops. Will it make you that much of a better person? If it's your personal best or a 50, then it's your choice to keep it, and I completely understand the need to do that. :clapping:

But if it's a 30 or 40, please remember that as mentioned, there are less and less of these fish each year. We can't just make more of them, like Doritos. A 30-40# striped bass can take 20 years to get to that size. Please respect this resource as much as possible so we have them for future generations. :fishing: Thanks for reading, folks. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Fishing in the fog and weedy water....In retrospect, fishing clams or bunker in the ocean, if you could find a place that had some cleaner water, was the move to make last night. The fish are still there, migrating north. Bait on the bottom is the most consistent way for the surf guys to reach them with dirtier water when there is little around in terms of forage fish.

DarkSkies
05-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Biggest fish of the surf season were nailed tonight. At least (4) at 50 or close, many many more....

With an E wind, and outgoing tide, completely against what should have been the pattern. The bite died cold, then all of a sudden it was on again. Congrats to the guys who were there. The OFFC even got into em. About time, cause I heard they were all giving up fishin and buying golf clubs.... :laugh: :HappyWave:

WTG, and congrats. :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
05-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Folks, right now if you get a fish with a pencil popper chances are it will be lot bigger than a 26" bass you can easily control.

With that in mind, if you go out there on the rocks, you could eventually bring in something large. It's only fair that you plan the landing out ahead of time, to get the fish back quickly (if you are releasing it) or to get the fish gaffed and up out of the way of everyone else ( if you are keeping it).

Most guys out there, they wouldn't need to read this. But there are some eager new people who need to learn, somehow.

Suggestions -

Please don't learn by letting your fish cross lines with someone else.

Have a rod that is strong enough to control your fish.

Guide the fish toward you and away from others using the drag and aggressive reeling technique, being mindful never to give the fish an inch of slack even for a second.

Before you hook up with that fish, have a game plan where you decide how you will land it, and how you will efficiently protect yourself from the ocean and any big/rogue waves in a set that could knock you on your aZZ. :scared:

Envision yourself landing that fish, and make sure it's protected eough that you won't slip or fall in if the fish still has some fight in it.

Gaffing:
Maybe I'm old school, but I believe every serious fisherman should land his own fish. Most of the time I fish alone so I'm used to it.

I grab on to the lower lip, grab it in a vice-like grip, and don't let go no matter what happens. You need to grab that lip with confidence and control your fish while you either bring it up top or release it.

Never grab a bass around the gill plates if you're releasing it. That can kill the fish after release.

Hope this helps, people.

This post was inspired by seeing a few dead fish floatiing.
I felt some folks could use the advice. :learn:

DarkSkies
06-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Fish are around in the ocean at night. Here's the catch, they're away from the bunker blitzes, and you will have to work for them. :eek: :laugh:

Sometimes it takes 3 hours of concentrated casting before the first fish hits.
Last night was a little better, I hooked or missed a fish about once every half hour. :fishing:

Fish the dropping tide in the ocean, slow and low is the way to go. Remember that the ocean temps went down substantially in the last few days, and fish are lethargic sometimes at night unless they're chasing bunker.
Classic cold-water presentation pattern should work here.
Small, medium-level swimmers, about 1-3' down.

DarkSkies
06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Remember that the ocean temps went down substantially in the last few days,

That pattern continues, the ocean seemed even colder last night.
Also, where I was fishin, the fish had been feeding toward the end of the ebb. Last night I couldn't hook a fish until the flood tide started.

finchaser
06-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Now if the bunker would just leave

hookset
09-20-2011, 06:38 PM
If a striped bass ***** in the water, can one hear it?
Can you see it? Would anyone be listening?

DarkSkies
09-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Hookset....I recall someone once saying they didn't eat fish because "fish pee and poop in the water".
That's like saying you can't eat pork or steak because there is crap in the barnyard.
Something you might hear the JCrew guys who tie sweaters around their shoulders say....The rainbow crew....
Does that answer your question? :HappyWave:

bababooey
09-22-2011, 12:06 AM
:clapping:TurdF, even the military now accepts the fruits and nuts with open arms, no love for the LGBT folks? :rolleyes:
I have to agree with you in part. I cant stand guys who won't touch fish. If they are like that they never come on my boat again. Women I make exceptions for, but any guy who won't handle his fish went to the Richard Simmons school of masculinity.:ROFLMAO

DarkSkies
10-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I cant stand guys who won't touch fish. If they are like that they never come on my boat again. Women I make exceptions for, but any guy who won't handle his fish went to the Richard Simmons school of masculinity.:ROFLMAO

I knew there was something I liked about ya! :) :thumbsup:

A Noreast pattern is developing...the thing to do is get out and fish in front of it....remember all the internet heroes saying about after the last noreaster, there would be "EPIC" fishing?.....:huh: :don't know why:....Well they soon shut their mouths after the water got dirty and nasty, as there were no reports to brag about....noreasters in NJ are good for increasing liquor sales in bars, a spike in takeout food orders, and maybe an increase in the pregnancy rate....otherwise they ain't good for much else, and ruin the fishing for a few days after.....

but before a noreast pattern? ....fish tend to be on the feed.
I checked the barometric trends, and for now the barometric pressure is a little too high to cause me to salivate, but I'll try to make it out there anyway,,,giving it a shot.....:fishing:
Good luck, people. :)

DarkSkies
10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
I have seen at least 5 threads this morning on the internet hyping up the Northeast pattern as blowing the fishing wide open. All a Noreast pattern does for NJ is bring us dirty water in the aftermath. It also diminishes any good feeding patterns that might have developed. Yes it does sometimes bring a bonanza for guys who fish clams, but generally speaking most other fishermen will not have great success in the days directly after a noreast pattern. The better times to fish, as has been mentioned here many times, are in the nights leading up to that. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

Whether you catch fish or not, the opportunity is still better after a NW system has set up and is in effect. :learn:

baitstealer
11-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Turd Ferg, a question. Sometimes in your reports, you say you fished for 5 minutes and know the fish are not there. With all due respect, you can't see underneath the water, so how do you come to know, whether the fish are there, or not? Thanks very much!

finchaser
11-03-2011, 07:42 PM
He looks for bubbles on the waters surface he's so good he can smell fish farts. Some times when you plug you get covered up with weed,no water ,no signs of any life,water too rough to fish,water to dirty. But DS it's about the farts.

wish4fish
11-03-2011, 08:21 PM
ha ha yeah and the way dark is hes always smelling things, i bet he likes smelling the fish farts too lol!

surfwalker
11-03-2011, 10:45 PM
He looks for bubbles on the waters surface he's so good he can smell fish farts..

So that's what that smell comes from. The ole timers told me it was from mermaids, but I always thought the bubbles were caused from guys throwing bricks in the water. Fish farts, must be enjoyable.

Monty
11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
So that's what that smell comes from. The ole timers told me it was from mermaids, but I always thought the bubbles were caused from guys throwing bricks in the water. Fish farts, must be enjoyable.

I throw bricks.
And also thought they were mermaid farts.

dogfish
11-04-2011, 03:05 AM
darkskies, the fish fart whisperer.:scared:
surfwalker, the mermaid fart whisperer.
finchaser, the hook doctor.
monty, the brick fish catcher and tree whisperer.
What a group!:kooky: :cool: :clapping:

DarkSkies
11-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Advice for late fall.....

We really are transitioning toward a dawn and dusk/late afternoon bite, the classic pattern for late fall fishing as the water gets colder. That was working for the last few days, but today there were an unusually large #of guys spread out over a 20 mile area hoping for a morning bite, and the best of the best got skunked....what does that say for the inconsistency out there?...

It's gotta be frustrating as hell for the guys who live in PA and come in to fish hard for just one day, and face the dead water that we are seeing lately...

Nonetheless, I feel that for the few weeks ahead, dawn and dusk are still the best opportunities for a guy to get a fish or 2. I'll still stick with the night bite hoping for a bigger fish, but will eventually have to give that up and leave the darkside for the light of day...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

...,Still hoping for a strong sandeel presence, which until now has been inconsistent as well. Once they set up, I will be out on the bars, deep in the night, happily catching and laughing like a madman....

...but until then, I'll just be laughing like a madman, googan fool that I am... :plastered:with no one to listen but the laughing gulls..... :laugh:

Hoping against hope....hope springs eternal in the mind of the surf fisherman... :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
He looks for bubbles on the waters surface he's so good he can smell fish farts. Some times when you plug you get covered up with weed,no water ,no signs of any life,water too rough to fish,water to dirty. But DS it's about the farts.

darkskies, the fish fart whisperer.:scared:
surfwalker, the mermaid fart whisperer.
finchaser, the hook doctor.
monty, the brick fish catcher and tree whisperer.
What a group!:kooky: :cool: :clapping:

If there were awards or sections here for Posts of the Year, these would be at the top of my list. :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:

I was laughing so hard when I read this I literally fell off my chair. :ROFLMAO
Priceless!
The imagination of you mooks is beyond hilarious....I wish I had the resources to create a fishing show.....it would be off the hook with the characters we would have in it...unfortunately I would have to have creative control because it would be unacceptable to show where we fish, and I would really want to focus on the humor and things that went on besides fishing.....,for example, I relayed the conversation to Pebbles that Fin and I had when I hooked myself.....

"I can't believe you did that you ****ing dillydock!"
(There was more, along the lines of "I told ya not to be stupid, ya moron!" from the old Stern show)

Fishing is the theme that brings us all together, but sometimes the things that happen, while we're out there...are the icing on the cake, the sizzle in the steak...and the things that make it all worthwhile, even when we ain't catchin'.

Thanks for the laughs, guys, absolutely priceless. :HappyWave:

jigfreak
11-04-2011, 05:10 PM
There are guys who claim they can smell bunker in the water (cucumbers)
There are guys who claim they can smell bass, that they have a distinct aroma.

But ds, he goes for the fish farts.:laugh:
You are so good you need to run a seminar - How to Catch More, and Bigger, Cow Striped Bass by Searching for the Fish Fart Aromas.
Should be a sell-out.:rolleyes: :HappyWave:

fishinmission78
11-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Finder of fish farts, sounds kind of catchy.

bababooey
11-06-2011, 12:30 PM
There are guys who claim they can smell bunker in the water (cucumbers)
There are guys who claim they can smell bass, that they have a distinct aroma.

But ds, he goes for the fish farts.:laugh:

I think it's a bionic sense, like the 6 million $ man.:wheeeee:
As for the seminar, there are guys out there who will pay for a seminar on anything. If he held a seminar on how to fish clams from the surf, he would get at least 50-100 guys to attend. What is the breakeven on a gig like that?

storminsteve
11-06-2011, 12:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc

dark skies, astronaut and fisherman: a man barely alive
Gentlemen we can rebuild him

We have the technology
We have the capability to make the worlds first fish fart smelling fisherman
dark skies will be that man

Better than he was before
Better, Stronger, Faster
Able to smell fish farts that lead him to the fish.
Able to hook a fish while simultaneously hooking himself.
Able to sleep in a public toilet, despite the stench.

Able to wear waders for weeks at a time without washing, and able to exist on coffee and bargain basement hindu pork roll sandwiches (maybe that's why the waders smell so much):ROFLMAO
And able to withstand bitter cold winds, and fish 71 hours at a time, for one fish.:HappyWave:

We have the technology
We have the capability
If we unleash this man upon the world, will it be for the better good, or a science experiment gone wrong?:scared:

dogfish
11-06-2011, 04:24 PM
:whoo: Science experiment gone wrong.

porgy75
11-06-2011, 06:02 PM
:clapping::clapping:omg that is so funny! You guys really bust on him hard. I only have one pair of waders and they get smelly sometimes. I am glad I am not the subject of these taunts or I might have to stay away from fishing for awhile.:eek:

dogfish
11-06-2011, 06:05 PM
porgy, we need to evaluate those waders. Post a video of yourself wearing them and walking past normal folks. If anyone falls down or shrinks away in disgust, you can be the new poster child for wader hygeine. That's what we're about, equal opportunity ball busters here. As for staying away from fishing, if ya can't take the heat, go home and cry like a girl.;) No sissies allowed on this site.:laugh:

bababooey
11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Steve you da man! You ever want to get in on the striper bite from a boat, get in touch, we crushed them today. As for dark/turd ferguson, he is definitely a science experiment gone wrong. that was hilarious.:kicknuts: :wheeeee:
Porgy, if you are a sissy we will have you crying for Mommy, so buck up and take it like a man! There are no fish in the surf anyway, you might as well put those waders away and put on a pair of grundens for a boat trip.

jigfreak
11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Bababooey boat fish don't count. I bet you netted every one of them, even the small ones.:rolleyes:

cowherder
11-06-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc

dark skies, astronaut and fisherman: a man barely alive
Gentlemen we can rebuild him

We have the technology

Better, Stronger, Faster

Able to wear waders for weeks at a time without washing, and able to exist on coffee and bargain basement hindu pork roll sandwiches (maybe that's why the waders smell so much):ROFLMAO
And able to withstand bitter cold winds, and fish 71 hours at a time, for one fish.:HappyWave:

We have the technology
We have the capability
If we unleash this man upon the world, will it be for the better good, or a science experiment gone wrong?:scared:

Ha ha so funny steve, you should write for TV shows or something.:clapping:

DarkSkies
11-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Today's report....

"the best way to do that would have been to get out on the bar....but the tide was coming in quick....I tried anyway, got a little wet.....:bucktooth:

Birds were on bait and fish anywhere from 250-500' out for several hours. The chief complaint of a lot of guys was that the fish were just out of reach.... and they were, except for the guys on the bar or those who could cast 250' each time...."

Your best bet is to get out on the bar, dropping tide, be CAREFUL and pay attention to when the tide is coming back in so you can get out of there.
In many cases, the fish are just over the bar, and will smash your jig or metal as soon as it hits the bottom edge of that bar. :learn:

A smart angler will pay attention to how the bar moves in contour with the surf line, and the opening of the outsuck. After fishing a place a few hours, you should be able to predict the moment when your presentation will get smashed, by remembering where past fish were hitting.

DarkSkies
11-07-2011, 10:09 PM

Better, Stronger, Faster

:clapping::clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup: Steve, your creativity knows no bounds, I gotta tell ya I fell of my chair laughing when I read it....:ROFLMAO
I wanna send ya a plug for that...PM me your address and I'll send it out! :HappyWave:Thanks so much for the laughs, bro!

If you want to get more plugs, all ya have to do is

1.tape a video of yourself saying....

"Darkskies....the worlds FIRST fish fart smelling fisherman, on StripersAndAnglers.com"

2. and post it on Youtube.....:)

If ya do it, I'll send ya 3 more plugs for doing that....:HappyWave:

Any other member who reads this, and wants to earn 2 free plugs,

Just follow the 2 steps above, and I'll send you 2 free plugs

Thanks for the laughs guys, I'm still laughing as I type this! :laugh: :clapping: :kooky::clapping: :bigeyes: :bucktooth: :wheeeee: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-12-2011, 12:08 AM
I have no beef with guys who fish bait, and want to first acknowledge the fact that the biggest fish are caught on bait, every year. Whether you use bunker, clams, eels, worms, live herring or spot, there are times when bait will out-produce artificials...and that's definitely the time to use it....

But for all the guys fishin clams out there.....when you see fish starting to swirl in the fall surf at first light, and they're feeding on sand eels, that means the profile is sand eels, not clams....and the best presentation to catch those fish is metal, slim slender profile jigs of some kind that resemble those sand eels....not clams........:beatin:

Fishing a clam rod is fine, but for Pete's sake bring another rod with ya, and throw that metal...we saw too many guys fishin clams this morning, with the rod idly sitting in the spike or in their hands, while the rest of the guys fishing metal were hooked up consistently......:learn:

fishinmission78
11-12-2011, 01:07 AM
Clammers during blitzes, I always wondered why a guy dosn't put down his stick and pick up a plugging stick. I think some of these guys are afraid to work for their fish. Sit on a bunket and dream away. If I fish clams I have the rod in my hand waiting for the strike.
btw love the 6 million dollar man parody Steve, used to watch that show all the time.

clamchucker
11-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Dark Skies, I think clams have their time and place in any fishermans arsenal. They work particularly well after a heavy noreaster or in the spring when the water is very cold. The point you made about matching the hatch was one I agree with. Right now the bass are feeding on sandeels and small rainfish and bay anchovies. Those folks who throw offerings that most closely represent this forage will have the most success.

DarkSkies
11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Well-said, clamchucker, Thanks!

It's been said there are times when a man wishes he had a longer rod...both in fishing a big surf and in social sitations....there are times when (some) guys might say...Gee I could have used a few extra inches today....:ROFLMAO

If that's true, then Finchaser must be hung like a horse...:laugh:
Cause that old basstard, out of shape geezer, old and wizened, with more aches and pains than half the young bucks on the beach, has been killing it lately.....

And it ain't the metal he's throwing,...or the rod, it's the guy...:cool:
That basstard consistently out-throws 90% of the guys on the beach.....

Why, you could be fishin right next to him, and not catch a single solitary fish...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png ;)

Mick - Lately Fin has been doing most of the C&R of the bigger fish, I lost my edge when the bite went to metal. That old wrinkled basstard is a freaking machine,,,,he schools most of the internet heroes on the beach every time out there lately, except yesterday when the high hook (not him) got one fluke....so let's give it up for the old grouch, who releases more keepers in a year than a clam guy catches in 5 years...:clapping::clapping:

So work on your distance, try to use heavier metals when it's warranted (like today, when 3 oz was a good choice), and if ya ain't long enough, work on that too....:rolleyes: :) :fishing:

storminsteve
11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
It's been said there are times when a man wishes he had a longer rod...both in fishing a big surf and in social sitations....there are times when (some) guys might say...Gee I could have used a few extra inches today....:ROFLMAO

If that's true, then Finchaser must be hung like a horse...:laugh:
Cause that old basstard, out of shape geezer, old and wizened, with more aches and pains than half the young bucks on the beach, has been killing it lately.....

So work on your distance, try to use heavier metals when it's warranted (like today, when 3 oz was a good choice), and if ya ain't long enough, work on that too....:rolleyes: :) :fishing:

So do you come up short in the bedroom too, Turd? I don't have that problem as I'm hung like Ron Jeremy.:laugh:;) :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
^^. My life is so much richer, now that you shared that tidbit about yourself, Steve....:kooky: :laugh:

Please do not wear waders on jetties, ya might end up dead.....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8116-Dead-Fisherman-washes-up-on-beach

bababooey
11-17-2011, 09:20 PM
So do you come up short in the bedroom too, Turd? I don't have that problem as I'm hung like Ron Jeremy.:laugh:;) :HappyWave:

I look like Ron Jeremy, handsome devil that he is, but am hung like a pimple. Does that count?:laugh: As for Dark, I think with those glasses he kind of looks like Magoo, we could call him magoo skies!:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-19-2011, 04:18 PM
^^ Magoo this, Bababooey! :2flip: :) :HappyWave:

Ibsp was hot this am, we had about 70 between 5 of us,

no bar- no fish.

No long cast - no fish.

Great point Shark....this has been said time and time again, but people seem to not want to learn.....
A few days ago I was next to 3 guys on a less crowded beach,,,each of them was casting metal with a teaser, and each cast was about 50-75 feet...if you're going to cast like that ya might as well stay home....:kooky:

I was thinking about saying something, but unsolicited advice can backfire at times, so I just let them catch no fish and moved on.....

Realistically, when the fish are far out, you need casts of at least 200' or more, and a teaser, which may be good for the night bite, will impede your maximum distance....

Cast to the swirls....
A friend and I got into a few giant bluefish and some small bass yesterday. It was toughm and a real slow pick, 100 casts for each fish....one thing that helped us was to obsessively cast to a swirl whenever we saw a fish come up to grab a sand eel...these were mostly bluefish, but a lot of fun. When the bite is random and fish are scattered like that you have to learn to think strategically...

plugaholic
11-19-2011, 04:59 PM
I look like Ron Jeremy, handsome devil that he is, but am hung like a pimple. Does that count?:laugh: :

Haha you stole that from Stern!

bababooey
11-19-2011, 05:41 PM
^^ Did you happen to notice what my screen name was? Doh!:ROFLMAO

DarkSkies
12-14-2011, 08:15 AM
End of season pattern....

As the water gets colder and with the air temps being what they are, we will eventually transition to a point where the best bite is end of day...there is still an early morning surf bite, tide-dependent...but the dawn bite seems to have greatly dimiinished. Loiok for that pattern to continue and realize that the afternoons will now start to show as being more worth your time...

fishinmission78
12-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Right call dude. Theres a bit of early am, better action in the pm for guys who dont have to work.

DarkSkies
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
End of season pattern....

As the water gets colder and with the air temps being what they are, we will eventually transition to a point where the best bite is end of day...there is still an early morning surf bite, tide-dependent...but the dawn bite seems to have greatly dimiinished. Loiok for that pattern to continue and realize that the afternoons will now start to show as being more worth your time...

Thanks fishinmission, I was talking about this way back on Dec 14...our patterns are all screwed up this year, we have some unprecedented action,,,but this pattern is one that you can generally bank on for this time of year, at least for small schoolies.

Another pattern you new guys should be aware of is Full Moon obscured by clouds
more in this thread when I get a chance....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5279-Let-s-talk-about-full-moon-surf-fishing-(and-new-moon-as-well....)&p=52265&highlight=full+moon+fishing

DarkSkies
03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Also...I don't want to put guys off by saying this.
I'm happy for the ones who are catching. I'm seeing our members here catch a lot of the bigger fish....to me, that indicates you're paying attention to your logs and seasonal variations...
But to me, back bay bait fishing in the spring, is relatively easy...
IF you keep detailed logs and put in your time to understand bait and fish migration...

It's a given that every year, they will (usually) be at location A, B, C, D, E, and F in a logical sequence....

If you keep detailed logs and obsessively pay attention to bait migration (like I do) :learn:, you will see they follow the same "highways" every year....and when they veer off those highways, it's relatively easy to predict when and where.

Granted, some of us are out there, and we don't always catch...to me that's part of fishing...anyone who always claims to catch fish, from land, every trip, is flat out lying, or else they're timing their trips to coincide with phone calls and cell phone chains...

The point is, even with the best planning, we don't always find what we're looking for....
For me, I'm primarily looking for fish, but it's the solitude, enjoyment of nature, being at one and seeing the awesome power of God and his creations, these are all the amazing things that draw me out there as well, and to me, it's best enjoyed where there are less crowds.

I know the back bay areas tend to draw crowds early season....so I generally have a plan where I can fish elsewhere....

I was explaining to a friend the other day how I usually don't run around chasing the spring bunker blitzes...for one thing they happen when I have to work, and the other thing that turns me off is the crowds....

Anywhere there is not likely to be a crowd, is where ya might find me fishin...

DarkSkies
03-16-2012, 02:55 PM
I have always been a little uncomfortable with praise and acclaim...
I have found a lot of fish over the winter....
Some have sniped about that, and in some internet forums made comments that could best be described as petty jealousy....

In a way, it makes it so you are a little hesitant sharing a night when you get double digit fish...and ultimately tend to be more inclined to share those numbers with the guys you also know, who are doing as well. Those who know me know I have a pretty thick skin, and have cultivated a persona for myself as a larger than life character. It's easy for me, because I'm the same crazy character both on the internet and off.

A lot of the folks I am in contact with regularly, who catch numbers and good sized fish, are not reporting it, not weighing in at tackle shops, and really hate the internet and what it has done to the learning curve in fishing...most of us learned the hard way, and still, when we have good nights, may have to work for every fish. Even for those of us who fish a lot, it's a very rare night when you have "a fish on every cast".

I love that kind of quiet isolated fishing, and seem to gravitate toward it more and more lately...if everyone is fishing at location A....I'll try to go to location C, just for the solitude...

What I really want to focus on here, is the efforts of friends, and members who have been posting here...:clapping::clapping:

I know you all are out there at night, hitting it hard...and every time you catch a teen to 25# class fish this Spring, out there alone by itself at night, that is note-worthy.

You,(collectively) who have been out there in the cold, rain, windy nights, and generally sloppy and unpleasant conditions, who have suffered through countless skunkings and nights where the only way you would come home with a fish is to stop at the Acme on the way home....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png,,,yet you have been out there anyway,,,,making your own reports, and knowing that it would only be a matter of time before the fish would turn on....

To you folks out there....I salute you all..and your efforts..
Remember that posting a report here, even if you got the skunk, there is no shame...I post my skunk reports all the time, it's part of fishing for me...

To the guys who are just starting out, if you see someone here who is consistently catching fish...try to learn from them....ask them questions politely, and they just might help ya a bit....remember that a lot of us learned to fish without the internet..don't be surprised if they are only slightly helpful and not willing to give the store away....

But keep at it, keep a detailed log, and eventually you will see how it makes a difference...
Good luck out there, folks. There are a lot of nice fish to be caught...so go out and have some fun..... (and please remember to bring your trash home with you when possible)....:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Some of these are for the ocean, some for the bays...I'll leave it up to you folks to figure it out...:d

There are those who feel I'm making it too easy on the new guys...
So this post may not be up for too long...

I'll try to leave it up until we get the site bugs fixed....and you are able to use the search key to find all the informative threads we have on these topics....
After that it may disappear depending on how many grouchy comments I get back-channel....:scared:

Spring Triggers....

1. The first Noreast pattern when the season opens.
2. A few sunny days in a row...
3. Dramatic drop in barometric pressure preceding a pending storm system.
4. The sudden upward shift of bay temps to where they consistently hold between 45-50 for more than a few days.
5. The shift in ocean temps to where they are steadily at 45 deg and trending upward..
6. The abundance or absence of cold dirty water
7. Gathering of herring in certain harbors and ports
8. The arrival of bunker in back bay areas.

Note how the bunker was the last one. Is it significant that while others place such a value on it, it's listed last here?

You tell me....

Anyone who understands the first 6 triggers I listed, doesn't need my advice.....they're already out fishin somewhere when a combination of two or more of those factors are in play......:learn:

hookset
03-18-2012, 10:15 AM
TMI Dark, they should have to work for it like we all did - just saying.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-23-2012, 09:45 AM
^ Hookset, you and others here have made your points perfectly clear,,,and I hear you...when we started there was no internet to lead you to the fish...you had to find them...

More often than not, we didn't find fish...and had to learn these things through trial and error...and many skunks in between..it was a painfully slow process...which I still feel is a beneficial way for the folks just starting out....learning one thing at a time...and learning it by being out there, walking around,, and experiencing it with their own eyes and intellect, not just from reading on the internet.....

Keeping your comments in mind....
There was a report a few days ago where a guy mentioned..."Well we lost the bunker for now....when we find them again we'll be back on the fish..." :huh:
Where do the bunker go?

A few things...
Bunker are filter feeders...
Bunker will feed on algae and various forms of plankton and small marine life on the water's surface.
Generally speaking, bunker will swim into the wind....and can be found in different areas of a safe harbor or bay depending on stage of the tide...

So if the bunker are not where they were, how can you tell where they will be? :don't know why:
Sorry folks, I can't give ya's the answers, that scouting and learning is up to those who are motivated to learn, like we all had to do....

I can tell ya's that I have obsessive conversations daily, with friends who are as obsessive as me, as to where we think the bait will move, depending on the weather....

There were bunker in Raritan Bay. They held in one area for a few days, guys caught some big bass...then they left, the fishing petered out....why?
Because of a shift in wind pattern....

And my friend not only predicted when it would happen, he predicted where they would end up...with the resulting catches from that other area proving this simple theory....

DarkSkies
03-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Ask yourself the following questions...

When you can answer these, for each bay area you fish in....you will no longer have to rely on others to find the fish when bunker are around....
Remember the answers will be different depending on the bay you fish and the direction it is situated in...

1. Where do the bunker move when it's an East wind?
2. If it is a light East wind VS a steady stiff E wind, does that make a difference
(Hint, yes it does)
3. What if it is a SW wind, where could they be?
4. What about a W wind?
5. What about a NW wind?
6. What about a severe temperature drop, or increase, will that affect where they will be?
7. What about a North wind? Where?
8. What about a South wind? Where?
9 Does it make any difference if the ocean temps are different from the bay temps?
10 What about if the harbor or marina temps are different from the rest of the bay?
11. What about if there is a protected cove in a harbor or cove that provides a lee from the wind? Will bunker behave differently in an area like that?

finchaser
03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Too much thinking and work i'll just go to a seafood resturant and eat some good eating seafood.

Can't believe people eat fish from Raritan bay especially fish that eat BUNKER:upck:

stripermania
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Finchaser I don't catch a lot of fish so if I catch a fish I'm eating it. I eat too little of them to know what a bunker eating bass tastes like as opposed to a bass that eats clams and herring. The bottom line is these fish eat crap from the bottom, ir you think of all they eat, and from what I have heard, they would eat raw human sewage if you put it in front of them.:upck: Using that logic we would never eat any striped bass at all. I am sorry you don't like them and no disrespect meant but I can't wait to eat my first striper of the year, sir!:fishing:

bababooey
03-24-2012, 09:34 PM
The bottom line is these fish eat crap from the bottom, ir you think of all they eat, and from what I have heard, they would eat raw human sewage if you put it in front of them.:upck: Using that logic we would never eat any striped bass at all.

I think they would eat crap if you fed it to them, after all birds eat crap, and did you ever see a dog eat his own crap? Yum yum.

I first visited Florida in 1980. My buddy Sonny had given me a tour of some of the beaches and parks and the thing that impressed me the most was the cleanliness of the bathrooms. I can't be sure if they were well maintained or just not used very often, but every one that I went into was spotless. :thumbsup:

I moved down in the fall of 85 and started longlining out of Pompano beach. A few months later they were rebuilding the docks and our whole fleet fished out of Naples for the next few months. Naples was a lovely place and at the time had the highest per capita income in the country.

Some time in the mid winter a group of us stopped into the local diner for some breakfast. The guys went back to their boats while i decided to take a look at the Naples pier. I wached a guy at the end of the pier nailing some small drum so i sat back and enjoyed the show and the sun. Unfortunately my relaxation would be cut short as my insides started growling and nature called. :scared:

I knew I wouldn't make it back to the marina in time, so I stopped into the mens room on the pier. I figured no problem, never saw an outhouse in Florida I didn't like. What I found when I walked through the door was the most disgusting bathroom I had ever seen in the Sunshine state and to add insult to injury no door on the stall. :burn:

I ran off the pier and started jogging down the beach. A few snowbirds sunbathing, but no one swimming. I ran about 200 yards form the pier, kicked off my sneakers and took off my shirt and dove in. I swam out a ways, out of eyesight from the sun bathers, dropped my shorts and let loose. There's a first time for everything and this was my first "in the water expulsion". Any thoughts of secrecy were quickly dashed as the expectant log was no where to be seen. :whoo: Instead I had a bad case of the squirts and a brown stain rose up around me. Normally cool when the going gets tough, I started to freak out and tried to backstroke my way out of that cesspool as I was completely enveloped in ****. :wow: Wouldn't want to swallow any tainted water accidently doing the breast stroke or the crawl. :upck:

My kicking only made things worse as I was completely engulfed in the brown water. I was panicing and can only imagine the look of horror that came over my face, I was swimming in ****. :eek:

I let loose again and repeated the performance as seemingly hundreds of little brown bits surrounded me :bigeyes: and I had hoped that I had distanced myself far enough away from the pier and beach that my frantic thrashing and discolored water would go unseen. While the people on the pier and snowbirds on the beach may have been oblivious to my plight, my actions had not gone unnoticed. The native gulls terns and pelicans came out of nowhere and from a distance this certainly could have been mistaken for a blitz. :embarassed: These birds loved eating ****. :drool: Who knew :don't know why:

The birds were everywhere first a gull then a tern and then a pelican all partaking in the happy meal. I had a fish eye view of this avian feeding frenzy and frankly the pelicans were coming a little too close for comfort. I was sure my secret was out, but I regained my composure and put some distance between me the birds and the chum slick. They hung around for awhile feasting on the little turds, then disappeared when the last nuggets were eaten and the sea was quiet once again.

As soon as I got out of the mess I threw on my shorts and switched from the back stroke to a freestyle and kept swimming up the beach. When I was away from the scene of the crime and no folks in sight I swam ashore and headed back to the marina. I'll never know for sure if anyone was the wiser but somebody had to have figured it out I changed into some dry clothes and went back later on for my shirt and sneakers.

You know, I never did fish that pier :D

7deadlyplugs
03-25-2012, 08:54 AM
"crap" story in the "turd" ferguson thread. lol

rockhopper
03-25-2012, 04:47 PM
That is so sick!

DarkSkies
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
1. If you're a Dad looking to get your kids into bluefish, throw bunker....

2. If you're a surfcaster looking for some tackle busting action.....artificials will crush them now....but only at night....they are picky....

For the day bite the best bets are metal offerings (wobbly is best), light bucktails, and small SS poppers, with bright colors if it's overcast. If it's colder due to the weather, the fish will be on the bottom.

Rubber is the least intelligent choice,:don't know why: unless you have unlimited funds.....

If ya need more guidance, look for bait concentrations.

Go get em, folks.

DarkSkies
05-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Bababooey, thanks for resurrecting Shakey's post.....IMO an internet fishing classic. :clapping: :thumbsup:

Rain, rain, and more rain.....
It's nasty, foggy, rough seas, rough surf, and in some places, downright dangerous.
Remember that no fish is worth your life, please be careful out there....

Also remember that rain or not, the migrating fish are now moving by us.
A fair case can be made that around 50% of them have already passed us by,, as this season began early and the timetables will be different this year.

They are now catching 50# bass at Orient...those are not LI Sound "Overwintering" fish, but Chesapeake, Delaware, and Hudson migrating fish that will be migrating up that way.....

If you're waiting for a 6 week long series of blitzes at the MoCo rocks and jetties......you may be betting on the wrong horse...those blitzes have been happening, 1/ to 1 hour at a time, with no consistency. So there is no point in sitting on a bench waiting for the blitz fish....at least IMO......

but there are fish to be had...inlets, pinch points, bays, points, etc, etc......this is the time to be out there, folks....
Fish don't care if it's raining...they're already wet....and the truth is...there are less fish out there now., than ever before...and the participation has dropped substantially for surf fishing....

Blink your eyes and the next scenario,. will be guys asking "Who's going to Montauk this week!" :learn:

DarkSkies
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Hickory shad....
First started near an inlet, where I noticed a lot of fish feeding. Quickly determined they were hickory shad. Changed up to add a small teaser and I got one every few casts. After a half dozen I knew it was time to press on as there were no bass or blues in the mix.

About these shad:
They are a lot of fun to catch, sometimes called "Jersey Tarpon"
They have a strong smell, I think stronger than herring.
They will hit very small plugs and small metal aggressively.

A teaser may be the best way to catch a lot of them. They frequently feed on very small bait and that night, it was smaller than 3". Either grass shrimp or rainfish. A 3" redgill produced results, but if I were to have downsized I believe I would have had them on almost every cast. They were very active in the feeding.

Some younger fly fishermen came by. I told them the fish were "in the seam". At first they didn't understand what I was talking about but gradually understood as I showed them. I hope they got some after I left.

Some observations: (from report 6-26-12)

Note the bluefish were actually harder to catch than the bass in the dark---the bluefish are smart enough to nudge the plug, realize it's plastic, and then turn away, while the bass are not.

The smaller bass were aggressive, but the keeper sized ones were halfway in before they actually fought. It was like they are affected by the lower oxygen content in the water.

This is similar to what I experienced in the Winter when the water temps went down close to 40 and the Bass were almost comatose.

From this I can hypothesize when the ocean waters are calm, I will probably have little chance at catching night bass....IMO you need some sort of an offshore swell to get these fish more active....hence the reason why some guys with bait are still catching bass....

baitstealer
06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Thank you for helping the new guys ds. I will bring some teasers with me from now on.

DarkSkies
08-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Fishing the old ways....
When fishing for bass gets tough, get back to basics and fish the bucktail.

It doesn't always work for me.
Sometimes, fishing in the rivers, I do better with rubber.

On the other hand, when nothing else you're throwing gets any action, it may just be, that the fish ain't there.....
You can make that assumption...but before going home do yourself a favor and give bucktailing a shot.

There's a right way and wrong way to fish a bucktail.
It should almost always have a trailer, grub, worm, rubber, or pork rind....
And if you ain't bouncing them on the bottom and losing a few along the way, (with the exception of fast current where sometimes the fish will hold in different areas other than the bottom) don't bother because you won't find fish without losing a few bucktails.....

Here's a small bass that smashed a bucktail the other night.
I stopped taking pics of these small fish because with the high water temps I want to release these fish as quickly as possible...but thought some of ya's might like to see that old-school really does work....:learn:

Smilin Bill with 4" white grub...
I just happened to be using black because of the full moon, but IMO at night, unless you're fishing a place where there is ambient light, color does not matter as much as presentation.

DarkSkies
08-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Fishing the old ways....

We have a lot of threads here for the new guys, fishing the old ways (courtesy of Finchaser and some of the other old farts here...:cool: :HappyWave:)
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7584-Fishing-the-old-ways&highlight=fishing+ways

There are also some good threads on bucktailing....just do a search here and you'll learn a lot.

Or go out and buy John Skinner's books, or at least the book on bucktailing....I consider him to be one of the best fishermen around today....and he's a great and patient teacher....

seamonkey
08-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Cool, thanks!

DarkSkies
08-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Sharking in NJ....Summer 2012....

Surfstix posted this,:HappyWave: I'm just posting it here again with a few other references and suggestions.....

Surfstix originally posted this, and I thought I would link to it so you are guys are aware that sharks are everywhere now.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8554-Sharking-the-NJ-surf
Thanks Surfstix!
The original footage was shot by Tommy Lynch...fantastic footage, Tom. :thumbsup:

Some friends who fish LBI for sharks were saying the bite has died out there and seeking to go further South near Atlantic City.....and the reality is they are all over following the bunker, spot, and kingfish. IBSP, Mocoo, NY Bight, Ocean City, Cape May,....Wherever these forage species are thickest you may find these sharks. Guys I know got brown sharks off Breezy Point the other day, so it's safe to assume that you may find them anywhere the bait is thick like I mentioned.....more on this in the Turd Ferguson thread....

DarkSkies
08-18-2012, 10:58 PM
The last 2 weeks as it has been developing.....

1. Almost 2 weeks ago someone who was out fishing in the daytime called me and said there were big bluefish crashing adult bunker in Monmouth county. Since the source is impeccable I set out to try and find them in the towns of that county. No luck, they weren't there yet with any consistency.....And I looked under every rock, crevice and piece of structure for these bluefish that (according to my logs) tend to show up near the end of August....

2. Earlier this week, some sitemembers were fishing a Monmouth County beach in the morning, fluking with gulp.
They reported some shark-like creatures, at least 3' long, that were finning on the surface as they were in pursuit of small pods of bait.....Some got spooled by these fish.

3. My standard thought was these were cow nose rays which now cover the whole coast of NJ and NY.....

4. What puzzled me was some of the guys reported these mystery fish biting through steel leaders of some guys who weren't fluking and had heavier gear.
This was perplexing to them as well.
We talked about them being sharks, but I kind of discounted that notion.

5. Although one had a fish on for about 20 minutes, he never got a look at the fish and lost it in the first breaker. That was as close as it got.

6. Now with this shark video posted by Tom Lynch, I think it's reasonable to say there are brown/dusky sharks all throughout the NY Bight area.....and off the beaches of LI as well. Again, where the forage is thick is where you're likely to find a few....

7. Yesterday, some friends were out fishing and landed a few 15lb class bluefish from the surf using artificials....
This being the 2nd reliable report I've gotten, I'm optimistic that guys will start catching these 15lb bluefish more regularly...

8. They, and the sharks, come in and out subject to the bait concentrations, and when the bait moves they seem to vanish offshore....but I feel we will be seeing more reports of these bigger bluefish.

When that happens I'll spend more time on bluefish, and albies.

There aren't too many fish you can catch from the surf that will give you a fight the above 2 species do....
A 15# bluefish fights to the death..:viking:.....when you're done fighting a few, at times you need new tackle.....to me the adrenalin is addictive.......

Good luck and remember it's hard to chase after these fish as there is no real consistency right now....but I believe very soon there will be....for those who think about where the highest bait concentrations are likely to show up.....
:fishing:
Good luck out there....and be careful....

paco33
08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
8. They, and the sharks, come in and out subject to the bait concentrations, and when the bait moves they seem to vanish offshore....but I feel we will be seeing more reports ...

Excellent call ds. We were sharking last night at Sandy Hook. brought a 5 gallon bucket of mackeral pieces and threw some out every 5 minutes. Went to the SRI earlier on the incoming and got some spots and kingfish for biat. That inlet is loaded with them.
Cut the kingfish, bottom half to eat, heads for the sharks. I don't waste anything.

Had one nice brown shark around 9pm about an hour before high tide. Looked to be about 4' and maybe 50lbs. Got it into the wash, lost it when it bit the leader. Managed 3 others, all dogfish. Bite died when the tide went slack. Didn't stick around to see if it could get better. They are there, tons of fun.

DarkSkies
09-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Glad to hear you got into those sharks, Paco, :HappyWave:
I think by now that fishery is winding down as well. The ocean water temps will (hopefully) continue to trend down as we shift the 2012 season from a S/SW pattern to more of a N/NW pattern.

Sept 14 - 2012........The mullet is really starting to move out of the back bays, much quicker than some folks are predicting.

There are 90 days left before the fall fishing will start to shut down.
There is no guarantee we will have a repeat of last year's unusually robust Winter.

The time to fish is now.
Whether you catch or not, the opportunity is there. :fishing:

buckethead
09-15-2012, 04:15 PM
There are 90 days left before the fall fishing will start to shut down.
There is no guarantee we will have a repeat of last year's unusually robust Winter.

The time to fish is now.
Whether you catch or not, the opportunity is there. :fishing:

I hear you dark, and if the herring don't come around this winter it will be a long cold one without bass.

DarkSkies
09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I hear you dark, and if the herring don't come around this winter it will be a long cold one without bass.

Buckethead,,,,fishing in the Winter spoiled me.,...was the most robust fishing I have had in years....

There are no guarantees, but i'm really hoping for a repeat...if it's half as good as it was, I'll be ecstatic. :drool:

Mullet run 2012 -
In years past the September Full moon (Harvest Moon) has been the one yardstick when the mullet are supposed to leave the bays for the ocean. It doesn't always happen exactly this way. This year is an illustration. Some of the mullet have been streaming down the coast for almost a month now, which is a few weeks early.

Some thoughts -
When I scouted some water on the way home the previous trip, I found none, and was a little disappointed.

The thing that is driving most of the better fishing right now is larger schools of mullet. Although this may seem obvious to some, I say that to indicate that there is a good chance that if you can't find mullet in any larger numbers you may not be able to find fish. The rainfish and spearing are important as well, but in my experience the fish become a little more picky with only these 2 types of small forage... I'm always happier when there are more varieties in the forage mix because it gives you a better chance of catching them on artificials.

DarkSkies
10-02-2012, 07:20 AM
I wanted to add a little to this.
I was thinking that Sunday's Harvest moon would have cleared the bay area (Raritan and Barnegat) out of mullet and peanuts.

Did some scouting on the way home after last trip and found this to not be exactly true.
There are many areas that no longer hold bait, so this bay migration to the ocean is happening, albeit a little at a time.

It seems the Barnegat Bay and similar areas have dumped their mullet out faster.
Evidence of this is in the surf line at IBSP and LBI, where you can see steady schools of mullet and the little blues are all over them.

However, this has not happened to as great an extent in Monmouth County...the mullet presence in the surf line there is noticably lighter. At least it was to me when i scouted these areas.

The important thing to note is that the Raritan Bay and NY Bight area is still holding a tremendous amount of bait, spearing, rainfish, mullet, 5" peanut bunker, spot/lafayette, and small porgies, blackfish, and seabass. Even some adult bunker as well.

I look for this bait to stick around awhile, possibly exiting around Columbus Day...or sooner if a severe storm system develops.

If you can do some scouting and know what to look for, you might find some good fish.
All the legal fish and bigger blues I have found so far have been tight to the largest bait concentrations. :learn:

Monty
10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
The important thing to note is that the Raritan Bay and NY Bight area is still holding a tremendous amount of bait, spearing, rainfish, mullet, 5" peanut bunker, spot/lafayette, and small porgies, blackfish, and seabass. Even some adult bunker as well.

Three out of last four Sundays ocean side I have seen enormous amounts of SMALL bait. Nothing that approaches 5 inches.
I have not been able to identify anything over two inches.

DarkSkies
10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
^
That's because it was in a holding pattern in the back bays..and the colder wind and weather is starting to push them out. Good observation, Monty...it's nice to know when you are not catching you are still thinking...on those 9 hour trips of yours.....:laugh: :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Fall Fishing Strategies....
This fall is different. I know some will roll their eyes when I say there are less bass around, but I fish 5 nights a week during the season and this is what I'm seeing, and my logs show.

What works for me is being out there as much as I can and making a lot of sacrifices to do it.

My perception of the fishing in our general NY Bight, S Shore, and North Jersey fishing so far, is that the bass are just starting to show in numbers, making their way down from Montauk, and some finally starting to come down the E River.....

This has been a slow trickle so far.
I still am able to find bass, but spending 5-7 hours at a time at night to do it.

3 nights ago I fished the ocean, 14 bass to 15# on artificials. It was a great night of action for me.,,,because the fish were there, active, but picky......

The next night I was fishing the same general areas for 7 hours, not even a tap. :?
the bass had moved on further down the Coast., Lately I have seen that my catches have come in waves of catching, with a lot of skunking :( in between.

In my experience...
Big surf can be an asset IF there is a lot of bait, AND BASS, around, as it can concentrate them.

There are times when the bass, or blues, are just not there, or within reach of surf fishermen.

They could be 1/2 mile out passing through on the migration and we would never know it....

The surf guys need fish to be on the edges, or accessible deepwater rips, or somewhere that offers easy food to bass, to catch numbers of them.

Most often for me, The "pattern" is....one or 2 bass for hours of effort...that's why I say that I see less bass out there....ALL the areas I fish I have caught fish for years there, (in past years) in numbers this time of year.

And I just ain't seeing those numbers without a 5 to 7 hour trip at night.

DarkSkies
10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Some advice,, if you want to take it....

Anyone can catch fish in a blitz, but it takes real thinking to find fish consistently if they are scattered, or not blitzing.....

Thoughts on fall surf fishing for Oct.....

1. As we near the end of the mullet run...the surf bite, has been a consistent 30 minutes to an hour in the morning.

2. Yesterday, pre dawn, I joined a lineup of 40 guys, popular NJ surf spot, because I hadn't caught a fish all night and was so thirsty for a bass, if you know what I mean,,,out of 40 of us fishing a 1/2 mile of beach, a handful of bass were caught, none by me. And where I was, there was no bite in the dark, though I have been getting them in other areas in the dark.

3. Wind and dirty water....
IMO a wind shift can be good if you have no action. If you have good action you don't want the wind to shift, you want that pattern to remain the same.,,,That N/ NE wind ruined the pattern that I had discovered, and killed the fishing in my area.

Also on sunday AM, our water was disgusting....you couldn't even see down 6 inches into the ocean. That has affected the bite, when the fish are scattered.

4. Versatility...
I'm not a bait guy, but sometimes when the water is that dirty a bunker head or clam will bring you the fish. They have an easier time finding that, than an artificial, when the fish are scattered.

5. Scattered fish....
For some of the reasons I went into above, I am seeing the fish to be scattered this time of year in the surf....and that shouldn't be,,,as I said....

To deal with this, I fish more locations, sometimes leaving one area, and fishing 1-2 miles away at another area that seems promising,,,,I have done this 7-8 times a night to get fish,,,but it is tedious and tiring,,,,,hard to keep motivated when you can't seem to find them,,,,,

6, Feeding times...
During the end of the mullet run, unless you can find bass and blues stacked up crashing bait somewhere at night, the most consistent action has been occuring when you were fishing, 30 minutes to an hour around sunrise....

I don't usually fish that time because I want more action than that when I am out there....and it has become hard for me to find, the action at the level I seek.
My best action and biggest fish this year have come from the 12-4am window.

7. Perseverance....
....you should be fishing every chance you have now....and your results should change soon.

ledhead36
10-15-2012, 04:31 PM
good post turd. :thumbsup: You have to put your time in.

DarkSkies
10-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks ledhead....I know Chas, you, and a few others have been fishing bait consistently......

My thoughts on that,,,,,
And for the guys fishing bait, (as much as it pains me to say this..) :rolleyes: you may have a better chance of nailing a bigger fish right now, with a bunker head or hunk of clam.....

DarkSkies
11-11-2012, 01:59 PM
The Ocean in a lot of NJ areas is in the low 50's. Bass are usually active and aggressive at that temp, but last night I found them to be very sluggish, just bumping the plug. Lots of things that didn't fit a pattern last night. Several fish hooked in the head, quite a few missed fish, and once you missed the hookset they would not come back for it.

My best assessment of this behavior is that with a temp drop of around 8 degrees in 1 week, that has been a shock to their system. You might not notice that if on a boat and come across actively feeding fish, but for the surf bite absent large quantities of bait, these bass are a challenge to catch right now, at least for me......

Remember if you are out fishing at night it's a lot different than the day bite. You may only have one or 2 shots at a quality fish. If you blow it you might just be telling your friends about "the one that got away" instead of having actual proof.

I know this because........:bucktooth:

I was that guy last night......:beatin:

For the most consistent surf fishing right now...
There is a 1/2 hour bite now at sunrise. Local tackle shop weighed in a 15. Kicked myself for having missed out on that, but 1/2 hour or hour at a time is just not my style of fishing.,.....it's not enough for me.....

And there is a bite, about an hour, at the end of day, before and up to sundown. If you can't find them by then and don't want to spend all night looking for them, most normal people go home at that point......:laugh: ;)

Getting it done:

Small swimmers.....
Bombers
Daiwa SP
Teasers
Bucktails

Fish seem to be in the top half of the water column lately foraging for small spearing and rainfish.

DarkSkies
11-16-2012, 03:32 PM
"Basically, unless you're fishing clams, the fishing with artificials is poor right now....and the night bite is even worse....
Fishing with clams, however, you could get into some stable schoolie action." :learn:

DarkSkies
11-22-2012, 01:07 PM
"Basically, unless you're fishing clams, the fishing with artificials is poor right now....and the night bite is even worse....
Fishing with clams, however, you could get into some stable schoolie action." :learn:

It really is terrible for this time of year, if you look at historically how it has been. The water has cleaned up from the storms. The migratory fish should be in NJ waters in higher numbers. There was a big body of bass in the Delaware bay, but there should be additional numbers in our local surf, part of the Hudson migratory stock.

By most Capt's accounts, they are not finding them in numbers either.

They are not stacked up in the Hudson yet, or in the NY bight, even the traditional deeper water places and channels where they usually hold.
IMO the colder water in the NY Bight has driven much of the food out of there, and the fish with them.

So where are they?

There is no huge body of fish yet to come from Montauk.
The Moriches, Fire Island bite is slowly diminishing. Many of those fish being caught are schoolies and small keepers.

A lot of bigger fish have taken the offshore route South, and those of us not chasing them in a boat may never see them this late in the season.

The Hudson fish should be here, right at our shores, or at least in the lower reaches of the NY Bight......
And although there are a few of us catching and finding fish,.......most of the better anglers I know have packed it in for the season,......

DarkSkies
11-22-2012, 01:09 PM
So my question is,,,,,,Where are the Hudson River Migratory bass, if they are not in this area?...and not pending arrival from Montauk....

I put these things out there not to be negative, but to get folks to look at things realistically.

I'm still fishing.....
I have hope when the herring or bunker finally start to arrive in numbers, we will have a little better bite.

Tackle shops need your business, desperately.......If you're getting the Jones to fish now, you may be disappointed....
OTOH, the tackle shops need your business......

Some of them, without revenue for Nov and Dec, will not be around for next year....
So even if not seriously fishing, you might want to think about going down to your local tackle shops, and just buying something.......I did.....

Food for thought, folks....

storminsteve
11-22-2012, 02:30 PM
^^ Thanks for the push about the tackle shops dark. As soon as Giglios is open I will go in there and buy something. Went in to surfside in long branch this week and bought some plugs. The owners name is Jack, nice guy.

rockhopper
11-22-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm still fishing.....
I have hope when the herring or bunker finally start to arrive in numbers, we will have a little better bite.

Dark they're getting herrring in Montauk right now and using them in the rips for bass.

Herring at Mecca

Yeah baby!

DarkSkies
11-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the reports BassBuddah and Rockhopper.....
:HappyWave:I keep hoping that herring or some more small bait will arrrive and save the day for this season on the South Shore LI and NJ, but at this point it doesn't seem likely......

Those fish at Montauk could be
1. fish that were pushed out of the Sound during Sandy and will make their way back into the rivers for the Winter once the herring leave......
2. or they could be Hudson fish that never made it down that far yet.......

In any event, not to be negative, but the average size of those fish is being reported as around 10#....and in the big picture there really aren't very many of them, certainly not as many as some are anticipating to arrive on the shores of NJ for a late fall bite......

Hope springs eternal in the mind of the fisherman, so I keep hoping I am wrong.....
And each trip out at night keeps reinforcing what I already know.......fat lady is around the corner.......:(

DarkSkies
11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
"You can't catch what ain't there"........Finchaser, circa 2012.....

The cold dirty water in most of LI and NJ IMO has been a shock to the system of the fish.
The aftermath of Sandy, and the extreme temperature drop. has pushed a lot of the bait out of our immediate area.
Even the smaller bait that I normally see this time of year, bunched up at different areas, is a hit and miss proposition.
I know guys are still optimistic.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news either (leave that to Finchaser, the King of Gloom and Doom reports) :laugh: :HappyWave:...but without a presence of enough bait to keep the fish around, the season is winding down much more quickly than last year.

Those who have the same expectations as last year of "more fish coming from the North" are likely to be disappointed, as I just don't see it happening at this time.......

DarkSkies
12-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Now transitioning to an end of day bite....(for all those who don't want to spend hours at night fruitlessly searching for the bigger fish....AKA needle in haystack fish...:kooky:) ;)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?1877-fishing-terms-dictionary&p=63836&posted=1#post63836

storminsteve
12-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeppers, and they all have diapers on!

DarkSkies
12-12-2012, 07:48 PM
**Clams or daytime fishing are your best bet if you want to catch numbers of bass from the surf now...

(Steve, the daytime fish are small, I agree.....)
For those fishing for them,

1. please crush your barbs if fishing plugs or jigs....
2. And use small circle hooks if fishing clams.......
These fish are our future resource and it's best to minimize injury and get them back into the water ASAP.....please think of that if you are taking pics of them as well......

Thanks for reading.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Late report....
Fished 2 hours Sat night....

There have been some very brief windows to catch the small fish that are left. The larger fish that some of us were catching are gone from all the legal areas.
I wanted to get out earlier, but Sat was a 14 hour work day to catch up on a lot of things I had put aside to go hunt after the fish when they were there.....some who are jealous of that often don't realize the hours we put in, or the other prices we pay, to go after the fish when the bite is hot......:learn:

The dark side of fishing thread here is an illustrative example of that.......

Sometimes, even though you know it will be a waste of time, it's good to get out there anyway.....
The solitude to me is a big part of that package of what it means to me to get out there for a few hours.....

Final water temp - 38degrees, crystal clear water.....

**Death comes to the surf zone at those temps and below.....
(Actually, below 42 you really don't have a shot of catching bass on artificials, and below 40 your chances even of catching on bait or worms are less than winning the lottery.....):)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8748-Death-Comes-to-the-Surf-Zone

The forecast weather for the next 10 days isn't promising.....even friends who have fished clams in the last week have not really had any action.....

Ocean temps are pretty stable this time of year and take a very long time to increase or decrease, absent a storm system.

As previously mentioned, the limited windows are at the end of a very sunny day or 2, when the shallower water can warm up to the 42 degree range. Although possible, that's not likely going forward in the next 2 weeks...

I'll probably give it a rest for a week or so, get the work done that I put off for so long.....:( and maybe give it a shot during the last weeks of Feb.

DarkSkies
03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
The early spring fish are small, I agree.....For those fishing for them,

1. please crush your barbs if fishing plugs or jigs....
2. And use small circle hooks if fishing clams.......
These fish are our future resource and it's best to minimize injury and get them back into the water ASAP.....please think of that if you are taking pics of them as well......

Spring Bay fshing 2013......
As the OGB also mentioned, there aren't a lot of signs to bring larger fish in yet....no small forage, creeks (in NNJ,and excluding warmer water areas ) are mostly dead water and devoid of life at this time....some small fish are around but IMO there is not enough forage to sustain larger numbers and sizes in any quantity at this moment...

Bunker were seen in the bays before this...but IMO the bunker schools are not large yet as they get in season...and they move from day to day....As Fin was saying, we need the smaller forage as a stable base to bring more fish into the mix. The marine worms are a big part of this, but the other significant part is the killies, spearing, dace, grass shrinmp, and other small species that early season bass will eat....and right now, for many areas, these small fish are just not there....

**This could change with a few days, or a week of sunny/warmer weather. :learn:

I know folks are dying to catch fish right now, and many of us are climbing the walls.....
If you are willing to sit there for a few hours, near the top of tide, after a sunny day, the chances are decent you may catch a fish or two......:fishing:Many of these fish are babies, and the future of our resource...please be careful with the C&R... thanks for reading.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
A friend got a 37" bass about 20 lbs on Sat.
Just to put things in perspective, he fished 8 hours for that one fish. :thumbsup::fishing:
Congrats to all who are getting out there and putting in their time. Odds are you won't catch fish like this fishing for an hour at a time. It has been nasty and windy for the last 2 weeks. Anyone who is even out trying, deserves some :clapping: :clapping:. You guys are making your own reports instead of chasing them. Whether you catch or not, great effort....well-done. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

** Fishing window and feeding window......
These terms are crucial for success particularly when the water is cold. As has been mentioned by several members here, there are little spurts of activity when the bay waters warm up a few degrees....it reallly makes sense to pay close attention to these early season temps and look for these windows in time when those temps may cause a few bass to feed.

It bothers me when folks hype up a report or try to make generalizations about the few early season fish that are caught...the reality is that right now most of the guys out there aren't catching, the water (in most areas) is too cold for consistency. The ones who are, are generally lone wolves, fishing based on their logs and decades of experience, knowing when and where to target the few fish that may be feeding in an area. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

DarkSkies
03-25-2013, 11:26 AM
This is so important, that if you don't do it, my probing question to folks who are going out there, is "Why do you bother, then?" :don't know why: If you're going to go out in the raw weather, cold and wind, and sometimes cold driving rain, why wouldn't you want to pick the very best time, that was optimal for you to catch a fish? :huh:

Here's one example.....
There were some newer anglers I felt sorry for...out many times last year and this spring, still no bass caught by them.....I knew where and when they were fishing, advised them to change the time frame as they were fishing the worst possible time.....when I try to suggest this, often the response I get is...."Well I fish when I can....".....OK I get that,,,,unless we want to be unemployed and divorced, we have to make compromises when we fish....

**Remember this...the fish wait for no one......:learn:
Knowing this, I gave them specific advice about the best time to fish (right now, this framework can change weekly early and late season with colder water temps)......

What did they do?
They fished in the exact opposite part of the day that I told them their best opportunities were......:beatin:And had no action at all......
I'm a results oriented guy.....sometimes I rub people the wrong way because of my bluntness....

I feel this way about fishing, and advice...there were few who offered me advice when I wanted to learn artificials....I was grateful for whatever advice they gave me, even though some of it was harsh criticism....I took the criticism, and to this day still feel that I do listen. If I am doing something wrong, or something that is not conducive to me finding fish, I want to learn how to be better.....
I think for good anglers, that learning never stops.....

An alarming trend among some new guys is:
1. They don't want to listen.
2. They don't want to really understand the advice you are giviing them.
3. Or, they want to spend the least amount of time at it, and catch a 50 lb bass in their first year of fishing....
4. I learned the old fashioned way. It was incredibly difficult for me, with much humiliation along the way....wondering if I would ever get to the point where I could understand these "patterns" that some of us talk about....:banghead2:

**My gripe here, is that there isn't much committment among some of the newer anglers out there.....whether it be to learn the best times to fish, and how to fish when conditions change, to the severe culture of apathy among many salt water fishermen when it comes to getting involved fighting for fishing access, fishing quota, or fishing opportunities......

And it makes me sad...because each time I try to help someone, it takes time from my day, that I could be doing something else....I don't mind helping, because I want to pay forward for some of the help that was given me....

But if I give you advice and tell you to do something a certain way, if you don't take it seriously, I probably won't help you again.

I know I have alienated some in the fishing world with my candid comments.:rolleyes:

I'm not looking to make hundreds more friends in life...I have enough good folks I know who I can count on....When I help (or anyone else) helps someone., we like to feel that the advice was worth our while, that the person learned from, and improved their game, from said advice........

DarkSkies
03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
**New guys out there, please remember the words above.
1. If anyone here, or an old-timer you meet, offers you advice... Whether it be fishing or life skills related, we all want to be appreciated.
2. If you can pay attention, follow up,, and let the person giving you advice, see that you have benefitted from and appreciate the wisdom...
3. It's possible that they will want to help you more....and continue the relationship.......

These are things that I have learned in my life, going to the school of hard knocks.....and it is why I'm a little impatient with those who don't want to put the effort in.......

Remember that no matter how many seminars you go to, books you read, or advice ANY of us gives you...there is no substitute to learning fishing, to time on the water, and paying attention and documenting the lessons you learn from each trip, to become better.

Fishing window and feeding window....
There are some very informative threads here...all for the trouble of doing a search....they're relatively easy to find.....

All newer guys here should read them. if you have particular questions, ask them, in that thread,,,,and I'm sure someone will answer you......
Fishing window-
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8560-Discussion-FISHING-Window-and-What-it-Means-to-You

Feeding window-
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8561-Discussion-FEEDING-Window-and-What-it-Means-to-Land-Based-Anglers

DarkSkies
03-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Had a meeting about Drag Island last night....
As I made my way home before work this morning, I was inexplicably drawn to make a few stops.
Water temps were not so encouraging.....had some trips I was thinking of making in the next 10 days....will probably put them off till water temps rise a little bit more.....

There are so many going back and forth on this about what the temps are, or where the temps should be.....

I think Fin and some of the others have said it best...:thumbsup:
The winter 2 years ago was pretty mild. Many of us have gotten spoiled being able to fish for them outside the usual seasonal parameters.
One of the key things driving early season bass, IMO, (in addition to water temps) is bait and forage. Other than the worms starting to stir in the mud everywhere, and some S Jersey areas with warmer temps and more forage, there is not a lot of forage around now, in most areas.

Inlets and areas leading to them are still cold. Back bays heat up for a day or 2 for brief windows, and then shut down again. Key on those warmer areas, spend time out there, and you will probably find some fish......

Overall, I may wait a bit as I have too much on the plate right now.
Still, was good to get out there after almost 2 months of not making a cast...:fishing:

mick2360
03-31-2013, 08:04 PM
DS, I dropped in after a long hiatus. Good to see that you are still mentoring the newer guys and making some good common sense points. All that I have to add is that crushing barbs is a good idea anytime of year but especially important now. The sun is high in the sky and warming the bays.....good things are going to happen. I may dust off my gear and meet up with you this year......they sure as hell are not biting in my office!

Be safe!
Mick

DarkSkies
03-31-2013, 11:58 PM
^^ Anytime Mick...it's a little slow in NNJ now...but a week should change all that....,give me a call, come on down....:fishing: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Last night, about 5 minutes before I was scheduled to make to move to somplace else, I caught and released a nice 16 lb bass on a big swimmer.
The excitement of that fish brought out my addictive tendencies.
Casted another 100 times looking for another, not a touch.
2 additional hours of hoping when I should have made a move elsewhere. :beatin:

By doing that I missed the tide at the other place I wanted to be.
There is an old saying, don't leave fish to find fish, so I stuck with that last night.

Happy, but still struggling with fishing as an addiction. If you want to catch fish consistently, you need to know when to leave one place and move to the next. With bunker around and fish feeding on them at night it has been very frustrating for me as I struggle to figure out what little patterns there might be.

You hear me talking about blind casting a lot. For bigger fish, in my experience, in the end it is all about random casting in areas likely to hold them.
Very tough to figure if there are less fish around. That is what my experience is out there at night, on artificials.

DarkSkies
05-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Picky bluefish.....

With all the plugs and plastic I carry the fish only wanted 4 inch shads reeled in really slow. They were right on the bottom.

I found the same thing in both places I fished, Vpass. :HappyWave:
People talk about how easy bluefish are to catch, and will hit anything artificial you throw at them.
When the water drops drastically after being warmer, or trends down to 50 degrees or less, in my experience they become very picky for the artificial bite.

finchaser
05-09-2013, 08:34 PM
south winds cooler water made them lethargic you had to finesse them to hit

porgy75
05-10-2013, 11:20 AM
**New guys out there, please remember the words above.
1. If anyone here, or an old-timer you meet, offers you advice... Whether it be fishing or life skills related, we all want to be appreciated.
2. If you can pay attention, follow up,, and let the person giving you advice, see that you have benefitted from and appreciate the wisdom...
3. It's possible that they will want to help you more....and continue the relationship.......

These are things that I have learned in my life, going to the school of hard knocks.....and it is why I'm a little impatient with those who don't want to put the effort in.......

Remember that no matter how many seminars you go to, books you read, or advice ANY of us gives you...there is no substitute to learning fishing, to time on the water, and paying attention and documenting the lessons you learn from each trip, to become better.

Fishing window and feeding window....
There are some very informative threads here...all for the trouble of doing a search....they're relatively easy to find.....

All newer guys here should read them. if you have particular questions, ask them, in that thread,,,,and I'm sure someone will answer you......
Fishing window-
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8560-Discussion-FISHING-Window-and-What-it-Means-to-You

Feeding window-
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8561-Discussion-FEEDING-Window-and-What-it-Means-to-Land-Based-Anglers

Picky bluefish.....

I found the same thing in both places I fished, Vpass. :HappyWave:
People talk about how easy bluefish are to catch, and will hit anything artificial you throw at them.
When the water drops drastically after being warmer, or trends down to 50 degrees or less, in my experience they become very picky for the artificial bite.

south winds cooler water made them lethargic you had to finesse them to hit

I have learned so much just from this thread alone. I hope I have at least said thank you for all you do and inviting us in to learn this stuff ds.

Finchaser I also hope I have thanked you too for your input. It is apparent to me you are one of the old salts that has earned lifes wisdom through the school of hard knocks, you too ds. Thanks for all you share. I go back from time to time and read this thread to see if there is anything I missed., thanks for sharing your wealth of knowedge and being so helpful.

DarkSkies
07-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the kind words Porgy. I'm sure Fin appreciates them, too. :HappyWave:

This is just a reminder that this site is about all of you....
I have explained to you all, that the site is about you, and what you all post...

Some key things I have noticed about the internet generation out there......
a. They want to be entertained,
b. They want to be excited,
c. Yet many are not willing to be even a small part of the excitement, or the entertainment...instead expecting others to do it for them.

So Porgy, I thank you for the questions and threads you and others pose on this site...if you are thinking it in your head...chances are...someone else has the same question....ask away......and thanks for doing your part to be part of our community.....:HappyWave:

This is something I recently sent to a friend....he fished all night for one 13# bass........

"The biggest sense of achievement is not when everyone else is catching fish in a blitz..it's when you catch one or two, on a night when it seems they are not around...."

It's a real sense of accomplishment to find one,
when others think there are none.....:learn:

DarkSkies
07-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Mid-Summer Fishing doldrums........
In my experience, the NJ areas that are now holding the most amount of bait, and fish....and chances of night bass, blues, and weakfish...tend to be back bay areas...and will continue to be superior through October.....

a. one thing that diminishes the activity is the high water temp, so if you are fishing now at night, the best advice I can give you is to
b. concentrate on the last 3 hours of the flood tides when the water can be up to 8 degrees cooler.....
c. Look for barometric changes, like a severe .4 to .5 drop before a storm system comes through.
d. Look for significant temperature drops or wind pattern shifts....these can all be productive in spurring a feed.

** Remember this as a rule..if you are fishing back bays, and even the ocean, when there are only a few fish around it is critical to find the "feeding window" - sometimes that window will only last for 1/2 hour to 2 hours, or only 20 minutes.....
This is why it's important to fish a whole tide at a time, until you figure it out, and then you will be dialed in, if a pattern develops....:fishing:

DarkSkies
08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Late summer transitions.......

My logs show late summer bluefish (other than the snappers) start to load back into the bay during the last 2 weeks of August....this has been a fairly consistent pattern......but it also depends on water temperatures lowering a bit, and the gathering of small and larger baits....this Post Sandy year has been slightly different for a lot of back bay areas that usually see more activity at night.

The exciting thing about this for me.... is that it's been my experience that the more bluefish that fill a bay or river/creek system or area, the better the bass activity becomes.
Bass can sometimes be lazy feeders and stay on the perimeter when bluefish start to make their end of day runs into the bay looking to harass the growing pods of different bait.

The best fall times for me, have been end of day, and deep in the night.....I have found that lack of boat traffic in an area is a key factor if you are looking to find this type of activity....one of the few exceptions being that if the bait is extremely thick and concentrated in an area, the predators may be less affected by the boat traffic and feed anyway....

This can be exciting to find in late summer water that is seemingly dead, or filled with predictable summer residents like small fluke, sea robins, croakers, and spot......one trip you will be out there....and after a long absence, say to yourself........"Wow where did all these bluefish come from?" :huh:
The more likely scenarion is they were there before you thought they were, but gravitating to areas of highest bait concentration.....

As mentioned, the water temps tend to have an affect, in my experience, on how the angler will perceive the bite to be......as the bay temps drop into the 70's and start to trend downward, I have found those temps to be ideal for marauding packs of bluefish, weakfish, and later on....bass.

DarkSkies
08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
So many fishermen concentrate on the ocean this time of year, waiting for the fish to "load up" and become more apparent, near the jetties and inlets.....
That's a great strategy if you are
1. targeting fluke, which by this time are starting to move from the back bay flats into deeper water anyway...
2. or targeting sharks...

However, if you are targeting any of the other species mentioned above......my best experience for consistent late summer action has been in the back bay areas and sod banks.
Whether you are fishing bait or artificials this time of year...the amount of juvenile baitfish in the back, simply dwarfs the scattered amount you will find in the surfline , and as such presents a compelling reason (for me) to exploit every known concentration of back bay bait, to see if there are fish on them. :learn:

There were years in the past, that I did not leave the back bay areas to fish the ocean until the end of October (Columbus Day)...the fishing was that good, and there were enough nights with double digit catches of bass and blues to the teens to make it worthwhile....

**Unfortunately, that pattern has changed for me. I am finding less bass overall as part of a decline I have seen in the past 8 years...hence the reason for me moving around more.....the point I'm trying to make here, is that for the next 6-8 weeks, speaking strictly of Jersey waters, the back bay will be more productive for those who understand tides, structure, and bait patterns....

Understand these patterns, the limited feeding windows common to the back bays, and what sparks fish to feed....and you will manage to find some exciting action out there at night. :fishing:

DarkSkies
11-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Pattern fishing...fishing a Pattern......

Fishing Fall 2013.....when I or friends do find them....there is no pattern, or the pattern will only last for a few nights, if we are lucky.....I had double digits of bass the other night....went back last night hoping that pattern would repeat, as it has for me, for the last 10 years,,,and nothing.......
This can be explained by a lot of things....but for those of us who fish patterns, and eagerly anticipate that once we find fish, we will have them for awhile....these patterns have not really held up like in the past....

The best explanation I have for this (my experience only, others may have different opinions)...is that the fish are spread so thin, that it's very tough to try to discover a pattern,,,

What I am experiencing....is patches of fish...here and there.....
This far into the fall run, the bass being spread so thin,, has not been so poor for me, for many years......

cowherder
11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
^^ ds I think you mentioned in the past about standing on the red x. So far this year that would be something to look for because it does not seem like a pattern to me either it just seems too random. Maybe I should look to purchase a red x detector lol.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Cowherder, I think these comments below, will confirm the difficulty of finding a pattern, lasting beyond a few days.....

** I think the bulk of the bigger bluefish that we were targeting have shifted over to the N side of the NY Bight.....
Some have re-appeared on the RB flats, some close and some only reachable by kayak....and there were some really nice ones in the surf on Fri...chasing the bunker in tight along with some trophy bass.....
What prevents me from hitting the surf for them is these bigger blues usually mostly show up chasing large schools of bunker.....and that means you have to be there for that hour or two......they get sucked out like a vacuum when the bunker move offshore......

So for me....chasing them on the flats and rivers is more predictable of a pattern to try and follow......and can yield double or triple digits on those rare nights when you are perfectly dialed in....with the occasional 15+ pound bluefish thrown in, and the occasional large tiderunner weakfish.........

But so far this year.....those patterns have not lasted for more than a few days, for me.

** Also, for those waiting for the next "wave" of bigger bass to come up from South Jersey....
be aware that they are already catching migratory fish....
1. At Montauk....(slow bite so far)
2. and Cape Cod

DarkSkies
05-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Lack of consistent pattern.....continued....
(Observations from my 5-29 trip)

When the numbers are down, like it was before the moratorium, it becomes difficult to catch bass in areas where they previously were. On that night's (5-29) trip I made 5 different stops. Each place had produced at least one bass in previous years' trips.
1. Fishing does change to year to year,
2. and temperature affects this as well....
3. but the seasonal patterns a lot of us try to follow, are pretty regular. If you pay attention to time, lunar cycle, tide, current flow, and bait movement, you can usually pick up a few fish on a night's trip out there....

I don't bother fishing for bass in the daylight any more because unless you're on the boat and find feeding fish, it's too inconsistent for me. The night tides have been a consistent producer for me for bass and bluefish action, especially the moon tides, during which I have almost always done well.

To be out at night, moon tides, cloudy conditions, has been the ticket for multiple trips of double digit catches of larger bass for me in the past. There is one place that I only usually hit during the beginning of a noreast pattern, always holds fish for those specific conditions...Thur's trip was the first time this season, that I have seen fish there.....and they were only bigger fish.....mid to high teens.....no signs of smaller bass at all.....which is really disturbing to me....

So in summary,
A. fishing for bass with a bunker head or chunk, will give you that one or two bass that are feasting on that pod.....
B. When the concentrations are higher, you can get them with artificials, if you want to work at it.....
C. I view fishing and catching with bunker or heads, as not indicative of the health of the fishery.....and it may lull some into a false sense of security..."Look the bass are around....see I caught a 20 lber last night on a bunker head!"....this is not logically accurate, IMO.....
D. It's the same way when you are working live eels in an area......with a live eel....even if no fish are around....you will draw that one fish, that is within a hundred yards.....to that eel because it's one of the most deadly tactics for drawing bass in.......but catching that one bass, on the eel.....again, does not show relative health of a fishery........
These are just my observations, over decades of fishing bait and artificials....
Again, nothing wrong with fishing bait....I did it for many years....and know many key tapeworm beds I used to dig at regularly.......

But also...in my observation......fishing with bait is a guarantee to catch at least one fish.....if fish are active in that area......
because fish, even when numbers are thin.....will be drawn to the scent or live activity detected by their lateral lines.....

** Fishing with artificials, especially looking for bass at night.....has been pretty disappointing for me, this year......because there is just no pattern that has lasted more than a few nights, or hours, so far, for me.....and the catching (while focusing on areas that have always held a few bass) has been disappointing as well..
These are just my observations...thanks for reading.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
09-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Right now - 9-11-14- Advice for Fishing Artificials that Catch....NNJ

1. You can't go wrong with fishing a bucktail/rubber or BT/pork right now.
Rubber would be good too but will get chopped by the bluefish.

2. Fish, if any, are down and deep as the bait that was around 2 weeks ago has really thinned out.

3. If you have plugs, try some 5" or less..., SP minnows (or smaller) white or yellow, or small bombers with shiny foil blue colors or white with red heads, the best mullet representations out there....

4. TEASERS are a MUST as most of the forage is 3" or less, but tough to fish when weeds are in the water.

5. You cannot throw those small plugs in rough water though...Poppers would work at first light in the ocean when mullet run the coast as they are doing now.
6. As I said most of the mullet have cleared out of our back bays, not only here, but raritan river, shark river, and barnegat bay and manasquan river - they are 90% gone already, except for the new schools that may come in at night to rest from up north.

7. Your window to fish the ocean is the first half hour before and after first light every day, or the last 2 hours before dark at and of day.
If you can find a few mullet you will find fish at those times.

8. Pickings are very slim right now. No one who is fishing from shore now is catching more than a few, if that many.Party boat just started catching in the channels, What few bass there are, are either scattered, or deep and on the bottom

9. And...this is the best of it, right now IMO, this full moon weekend....By Monday if no more bait arrives,, it could get worse,,,,as we traditionally every year go into an October waiting period until some resident bass start to move into the usual places by the mid to 3rd week of october...and we will start to see a small portion of the migrating bass......

DarkSkies
09-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Some additional thoughts I recently shared.......

The last advice I can leave ya's with for today....
1. There is no substitute for time on the water....Nothing has taught me better...than spending countless hours out there...and making detailed observations in my head which I translate to my fishing log...

2. We are all learning.....the day that I stop learning, and think that I know everything...is the day that I no longer need to be on this earth...
Sharing our experiences is great...but you have to realize that when sharing, we may come across in the wrong way..
Since I'm very disappointed about the Coastwide state of striped bass fishing sometimes....I may come across as gruff or blunt...

No one held my hand and taught me step by step how to fish...or gave me detailed tips like I try to give to the new guys...I had to go out there and piece it together..before internet forums were popular...also being fortunate to fish with some of the best old salts out there...along the way. :fishing:
I respond best to helping when I see some guy out there that is struggling, and wants to work for the fish....just like I was at one time....

3. Don't be afraid to fail, or try different things.. when you are fishing..or in life....I learned more from my failures than successes in life...because they taught me what NOT to do...and when it was not a good time to be out there...

Best of luck this Fall, people!..:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-28-2014, 08:33 AM
I posted this yesterday........

**The point is.,....for those who are waiting for the run to "start"...it's already (about) half over......(if you look at numbers of fish that have passed us by), because of the poor weather and conditions some weeks.....

So if any of ya's are "on the fence"......
If you know places where sandeels have been gathering, go out and fish them hard.....unless these sandeels move in and stabilize.....the bass will just keep following the bunker down the Coast.......

So get off the couch.....drink the energy drinks......get ready to lose sleep and walk around like a zombie at work....because if you want a big fish from land....your time is limited.....and the time is now....
Good luck to all.......:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-28-2014, 08:40 AM
....because if you want a big fish from land....your time is limited.....and the time is now....
Good luck to all.......:HappyWave:

The opportunities are also limited, compared to past years.....
One of my friends targets only big fish from land, and knows the where and when.....he usually lands at least 10 fish or more a year up to 40#...avoidiing the bunker blitzes, targeting them only at night as they move along our Eastern Coast..........

Yesterday he snagged a bunch of bunker, and set out later at night with a plan to get a 30 or 40.......
(again, remember he's not targeting schoolies, has no interest in catching them).....

He makes a lot of sacrifices to get these bigger fish, and was one of the few Jersey guys who was at Montauk in 2013 the last week of October, when the surf bite was "dead" and all of a sudden a good sand eel bite developed.....catching 13 fish to 28# that night, and a few others the next night, before the fish moved on.........

He texted me last night at 1AM...fishing a well-known NJ migratory area....having fished for 5 hours, using fresh snagged bloody bunker..:headbang:....and not one bass to show for it.........
I use this, as an example...of all the folks out there looking for bass...and trying...and not succeeding....because the fishing is so inconsistent....with less numbers around.....unlesss
A. you're in the middle of a bunker blitz...
B. or a specific strategic stop along the migration highway.....:learn: