PDA

View Full Version : in the surf

surferman
03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
The water temp is still on the colder side. What kind of fish are in the surf at this time of year besides stripers?

storminsteve
03-08-2010, 09:28 AM
On the bay and river side you can get some white perch, and the flounder are here. On the ocean side you might not be as lucky, although a friend who hits the surf a lot said there are sandeels and small stripers in some places. No big fish though.

bababooey
03-08-2010, 10:29 AM
There is a special kind of whitefish. It travels here all the way from Coney Island. I see them more when the water is warmer, but you might run into one or two in the early season. I definitely wouldn't target them. You might not be happy if you catch one. :eek: :d

plugcrazy
03-08-2010, 11:20 AM
You have to go out to get them but cod are in.

Mike O
03-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey bababoohey,

Yeah Ive caught a few of them, I believe they are called White Eeels LOL! Except those babies run all year long, LOL. To everyone, good luck this season.

Mike O

finchaser
03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
There is a special kind of whitefish. It travels here all the way from Coney Island. I see them more when the water is warmer, but you might run into one or two in the early season. I definitely wouldn't target them. You might not be happy if you catch one. :eek: :d

:clapping::clapping::clapping: and lets not forget the real needle fish that accompany them with the spring run off. Surf is still 38 degrees took the temp today at the inlet