PDA

View Full Version : what type of bait?

stripermania
03-09-2010, 10:21 AM
What type of bait is more prevalent throughout the year? Does the season depict which type of bait we should be using?

bababooey
03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Sure does. Match the hatch is one of the best lessons a new fisherman can learn. That was originally used by fly fishermen, I think, but it applies to all fishing. Clams are a "no brainer" bait because they're easy for a fish to find and suck down. There are times of the year when it's not optimal to use clams though. For example, you would not be fishing to the best of your intelligence if you continue to fish clams when the big bunker or sandeels are around. You need to use the exact bait they are feeding on or something artificial that closely matches it. Hope this helps.

gjb1969
03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
so ture at this time of the year most guys who fish out front will go with clams as there is a lack of bait in some places but i fined that worms are a better choice at this time of the year if u go and look around at low tide u will see the worm holes in the mud all u need is a little sun and the temps go up a little each day and the one thing that starts moveing around is worms so i stay with worms in the early part of the year as i think they are the first thing the fish start noseing around for i have bin looking around and ther isn not a lot of bait fish in some places yet so i say go with worms just for a time tite lines and good fishin:fishing: