PDA

View Full Version : Bringing them in

plugaholic
03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
When you've got a large bass on your hook it is better to over power them and bring them in; or should you go for the ride and let them tire before landing them?

Simp
03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Don't rush a big bass. Let them tell you when they're ready then use the waves to help you bring it in.

surfstix1963
03-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Never horse a big fish.The key is to let the fish wear itself down you are not going to stop her.Some things to remember.

1:Never tighten your drag (it should have been adjusted before you fished)if need be slow the spool with your finger don't stop it slow it.

2:Never give a fish slack line just keep enough tension to keep slack out of the line everytime the fish makes a move you have to react watch what the fish and your line is doing.If you follow a fish you will give it slack line don't chase them down the beach(tension)

3:Bass will have an exceptional first run they will slow at one point this is when you gain some line they slow because a acid is building in their bodies affecting their organs until that is expelled by urination the fish cannot utilize it's body to fight when the second run starts this acid has been expelled the second run may not be as great as the first but big fish still have that monster tail for strength.You may get a third but by then the fish is exhausted and you will gain on her.

4:The hardest part is to land the fish you must use wave action to do this don't use the rod if that hook pulls your fish is gone and that hook may be in your mouth or face the longer you fight a fish the bigger the hole gets in its mouth when the fish is close enough grab the fish not the leader the hook can still pull.

5:Heres the hardest part of the fight for some quick photo,measure and weigh or the trip to the bait shop for the glory of it.Just a couple of suggestions.

:HappyWave:

Doublerunner
03-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I will try to get them in as quickly as I can without horsing them as I want them to have the best chance of recovery and successful release

jigfreak
03-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I let them tire out. I always enjoy the long awaited runs.

lostatsea
07-22-2010, 03:13 PM
I think it depends on where you are. On a boat you want to get them in quickly while in the surf you have to let the bass let you know when she's ready, like surfstix and simp said.

jonthepain
07-23-2010, 08:55 AM
I will try to get them in as quickly as I can without horsing them as I want them to have the best chance of recovery and successful release
yup