PDA

View Full Version : Size of weight to use

surferman
03-13-2010, 05:23 PM
How do you determine what oz weight to use in the different water conditions as you go to set up for bait fishing? I am talking about fishing with clams from the surf or the back bay.

gjb1969
03-13-2010, 05:45 PM
i have with me 1oz to 5 oz thats it and most of the time i dont have to go to 5 oz so 4 oz is what i use the most:fishing:

Frankiesurf
03-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Toss it out and see if it holds. If not, go bigger. I have used up to 8oz on the front side.

surfstix1963
03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
After 8 oz. I'm done if you find your leader twisting up alot due to a strong current and your using a fish finder dump the FF and tie the sinker directly to the bottom of the leader and the hook up higher on the leader so the sinker holds bottom and the bait raises up in the water column try and situate your hook so the bait doesn't come much more than 2 ft. off the bottom.

rip316
03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
When you cast up current and then 5 seconds go by and your rig is at your feet. HAHAHA

finchaser
03-16-2010, 08:06 AM
After 8 oz. I'm done if you find your leader twisting up alot due to a strong current and your using a fish finder dump the FF and tie the sinker directly to the bottom of the leader and the hook up higher on the leader so the sinker holds bottom and the bait raises up in the water column try and situate your hook so the bait doesn't come much more than 2 ft. off the bottom.

what he said after 8 ounce no need tp be out there

plugcrazy
03-16-2010, 05:23 PM

I find that the 4 or 5 oz weights spook the fish, doing this method. Is there a way to alieveate this problem without moving to a lighter weight?

surfstix1963
03-17-2010, 06:15 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with the sinker for the most part, possibly it may factor in w/ small fish if you are looking for smaller fish go plugging bait fishing is looking for the large .Big bass generally feed on large bait so picking up a glob of clam or bunker chunk and a sinker probably doesn't phase them a bit.It's more likely the tide isn't right and the fish are not feeding aggressively at that time they will do the same thing w/ a FF.When the bite is not consistent and they are dropping the bait using a circle hook is not effective either because for the hook to work properly they must run w/ it for it to set. I would move to a different spot w/ better moving water and see if I could find larger more willing fish.Just like plugging there is a science to catching on bait it may be something you are doing you need to figure it out thats why I switch the rigs around it may work better or it may not wont know unless I try.I actually find I drop more fish w/ the FF rig and circles when using bunker it is probably the circles fault because you don't get enough hook penetration through the bunker because of the short shank and end up dropping the fish.

finchaser
03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with the sinker for the most part, possibly it may factor in w/ small fish if you are looking for smaller fish go plugging bait fishing is looking for the large .Big bass generally feed on large bait so picking up a glob of clam or bunker chunk and a sinker probably doesn't phase them a bit.It's more likely the tide isn't right and the fish are not feeding aggressively at that time they will do the same thing w/ a FF.When the bite is not consistent and they are dropping the bait using a circle hook is not effective either because for the hook to work properly they must run w/ it for it to set. I would move to a different spot w/ better moving water and see if I could find larger more willing fish.Just like plugging there is a science to catching on bait it may be something you are doing you need to figure it out thats why I switch the rigs around it may work better or it may not wont know unless I try.I actually find I drop more fish w/ the FF rig and circles when using bunker it is probably the circles fault because you don't get enough hook penetration through the bunker because of the short shank and end up dropping the fish.

What he ^^^said it has nothing to do with the sinker. A sinker makes less noise than a plug or metal touching down. Most people fish clams because it's probably the easiest way to catch a bass. But there is a very small learning curve even less than snagging a bunker. The best way to learn is trail and error with out the Internet. Many people that give advise lucked into fish and preach that method as gospel but are truly clueless. Best way to learn is mirror a person on the beach who is catching, pay attention to there presentation and sinker size. Most of your truly good bass fisherman learned that way there was no internet.;)

buckethead
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I usually start with a 4oz and see if it moves. If it stays and I get only taps I go to a 3oz.

clamchucker
03-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Best way to learn is mirror a person on the beach who is catching, pay attention to there presentation and sinker size. Most of your truly good bass fisherman learned that way there was no internet.;)

:clapping::clapping:Sound advice. What you young folks need to realize is that when us old folks started out fishing there was no internet. There were no How to books or seminars. We had to learn by trial and error. We made mistakes and learned not to make them again, all on our own. If you wanted the latest fishing news you had to be in the tackle shop in the morning when the guys came in to weigh their fish. All information in the newspapers was at least a few days old. And, people were not so forthcoming with the information like they are now. People kept their spots and successes close to their vest and only spoke of them to their trusted fishing buddies.