PDA

View Full Version : RFA-NJ Fights For Surfcasting Access In Cape May

DarkSkies
03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
"What has the RFA done for surf fishermen?"

There have been some criticisms leveled at RFA in the past. Some have had reservations about supporting the RFA because it seemed to them the RFA was focusing solely on boat fishermen and some of the issues they faced.

Even though I'm an RFA supporter, I don't mind talking about that. To me that's part of the whole package. People are no longer willing to blindly support a cause if they don't know all the facts. That's understandable.

So, to be fair, there were quite a few fishermen asking the questions:
"What has the RFA done for surf fishermen?
Do surf fishermen even matter in the platforms and policies of the RFA?"

Read the latest RFA-NJ press release and decide for yourselves. I think they showed good initiative involving themselves in this issue. I hope to see some positive results now that they're raising more awareness. :thumbsup:

RFA-NJ Fights For Surfcasting Access In Cape May
March 16, 2010

Recreational Fishing Alliance (NJ) Contact: Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732
For Immediate Release March 16, 2010

LORAN TOWER CLOSING THREATENS TWO-MILE BEACH ACCESS
RFA-NJ Fights For Surfcasting Access In Cape May

March 16, 2010 - Many New Jersey surfcasters gasped when the headline "As Coast Guard shuts down Loran, site of Cape facility eyed for piping plover nesting" ran in the January 20, 2010 of the Atlantic City Press. Land-based fishermen's ability to access Two Mile Beach and Cold Spring Inlet has been challenged before, and according to the Recreational Fishing Alliance's New Jersey chapter (RFA-NJ) another battle could be looming on the horizon.

The closing of the Loran tower has muddled the future of Two Mile Beach, as the Coast Guard is considering vacating the property. Given the opportunity, the federal Fish and Wildlife Service has stated interest in obtaining the land for beach nesting birds. Howard Schlegal, manager of the Cape May National Wildlife Refuge, states "If the Wildlife Service gets the property, the beach would be closed from April 1 to September 30 for the piping plovers."

Rather than delay and wait for the Coast Guard to make a decision, RFA-NJ has taken action to maintain surf fishermen's right to access Two Mile Beach. In a letter to U.S. Rep. LoBiondo, the ranking member of the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation, RFA-NJ states "As one of the leading groups representing land-based anglers in NJ, we wanted to bring this issue to your attention and voice our opinion/concerns early in the process and continue a dialogue with you as this process moves forward. Any pending property transfer should not impose additional access restrictions for land-based fishermen, regardless of which entity assumes responsibility of the property. Currently, land-based fishermen are only allowed access to the beachfront and jetty on foot. This low-impact use suits anglers, offering an experience unlike other beaches, and should be permitted to continue going forward."

The RFA-NJ official letter to Rep. LoBiondo recognized that various beach-nesting birds, including the endangered piping plover, utilize Two Mile Beach and many other beaches throughout the State. "However, we believe it is premature for the FWS to be taking a position regarding access prior to actually obtaining the property and considering public comment. The stated closure period would be excessive and inconsistent with management practices used for other beaches within the state."

RFA-NJ is confident that Two-Mile Beach and the Cold Spring Inlet Jetty can be managed to be both protective of threatened and endangered species while also providing access to land-based anglers, and the chapter Board noted in their letter to Rep. LoBiondo that they "would like to be engaged with you and your staff on this issue and we request that you include us in any upcoming meetings on the subject."

Rep. LoBiondo responded by writing "Over the past decade, I have been pleased to work with the New Jersey RFA, the Coast Guard and the Fish and Wildlife Service to maintain access to the Cold Spring Inlet Jetty for fishermen. It is no secret that the jetty is one of the best land-based fishing spots in South Jersey. As the Coast Guard determines the future of its Two-Mile Beach property, rest assured I remain committed to preserving access to the jetty for fishermen."

RFA-NJ looks forward to working with Congressman LoBiondo going forward and fighting for continued access for New Jersey's land-based fishermen.

To learn more about the RFA-NJ chapter and to get involved in NJ saltwater fishing issues, visit www.rfanj.org. (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103196713781&s=10015&e=0018nsoTdp5BmzchMnLbVwaCabspv8osRqno4m8FO0fsJhwd Le-gOo7rucBMJzH1PJDXEF4HSXWz9sf0UXzpHk3lxbaSci9NH9wXf Tyo7UsNi7quxLd3I5OLQ==)

About Recreational Fishing Alliance
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA-NJ chapter mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers in New Jersey, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103196713781&s=10015&e=0018nsoTdp5BmxRCpa4-77ShVrL_mW51a9ccP5lMSN0J0qGrb2J3Wr_7nuTei9ho0V5jRN 8R6Ub_1M7fAmVeL8xCubhrj67vZL9HrI6CfS9RQGE_88GYcrTn A==).

Pebbles
03-16-2010, 05:11 PM
There should be a way to protect the birds and allow fishermen access to the surf. It is good to see that they are making their concerns known now. Sometimes they slip things through and it is too late.

finchaser
03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
To protect the birds send Rich:HappyWave:

clamchucker
03-17-2010, 02:47 PM
I wish them success. That area should be enjoyed by all.

HerringRollins
03-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Cape May has a lot of jetties which all have signs posted No fishing. They want the vacationers to come which bring huge revenue to their town. Sometimes I wonder if they will do anything to stop the fishermen from coming.

surferman
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
They want the vacationers to come which bring huge revenue to their town.

Yes, but surf fishermen don't matter as much as the tourists do. Tourists are a preferred group. It's good to have orgs like the RFA to fight it out by lobbying or these things would be swept under the rug.