PDA

View Full Version : American Armed Forces: A story of one family's contributions

DarkSkies
03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
We were driving back home today when Pebbles and her Step-Dad spotted some guys putting flowers on a military statue.

They were pointing to the various names of the soldiers killed, and talking among themselves.

We were narurally curious. I didn't think this was an official day to remember veterans, so we were wondering what they were doing, and asked them.

It turns out that this day was a very special day for the gentlemen there. They shared their stories with us, and we listened in amazement.

DarkSkies
03-21-2010, 12:59 PM
They told us that their Mom had passed away very recently. They took some flowers from the funeral service, and wanted to place them by this statue to honor their memories of their Mom.

She always encouraged them to follow their dreams, and they achieved part of those dreams from their Military Service. These 2 brothers have collectively given over 30 years of their lives to serving the USA through their military service.

In addition to that, the daughter of one of them has chosen to carry on this proud military tradition. She's now serving her 2nd tour of Iraq. :clapping:

DarkSkies
03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
They are everyman, and anonymous at the same time. They are the immigrants who came here from other countries to make a better life for themselves and their families.

They are the people born in this country who feel compelled to to more than talk about pride and honor by enlisting.

They are people from all walks of life, whether born in Anerica or not, who feel a tremendous sense of pride about their country and the opportunities it affords them for a better life.

So they feel a desire to give back by serving their country.

In fact, some of them feel compelled to give something back. They see it as their duty.

Because these gentlemen saw it as an honor to serve, they didn't want attention or special notoriety for what they did, and their years of service.

Their stories would make a great feature newspaper article. It would allow many others to hear a different perspective of those who served, to see that America is truly a melting pot of immigrants from all nations, fighting together to preserve our freedom.

In fact, I sensed that we were being a little intrusive, and had to back off from my usual gregarious style. :bucktooth:

These men humbly suggested that there are others out there who have given more. Others have paid for their patriotism with their lives. :(

So they don't want publicity or any news exposure. I asked if I could write afew complimentary paragraphs about them detailing some general history, and they graciously agreed.

If you are reading this, please honor these gentlemens' wishes for not having any more recognition than in this thread. Feel free to post any comments or praise, but please, they are so humble that they don't want more recognition.

DarkSkies
03-21-2010, 01:19 PM
In the pictures I'll be posting, you will see brothers Marcos and Antonio M, and their brother in law Gary L. Gary L also served in the Navy and Gov't service, but was very humble about his service and time served.

So, some more details about the 2 brothers Marcos and Antonio M.

These are the broad details as I understood them from our brief interview, and are subject to edit or changes, depending on what they are comfortable with. I tried to be as broad as possible without giving out specifics.

They came to this country from Ecuador when they were children.

Marcos was in the Air Force, serving from 1979-91.

Antonio was in the Navy, serving from 1977-1997.

They both saw action, and some of the sad things that men see in these wars.

Their service encompassed the Gulf War/Desert Storm, and the Grenada invasion.

Despite all the death and destruction they have seen, Marcos' daughter decided she wanted to enlise as well. She is now serving her 2nd tour in Iraq as a MP.

Wow, what courage. :clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-21-2010, 01:27 PM
These are the pics of them with the flowers they placed today.

I am very sorry for your loss, gentlemen, and am sure your Mother is smiling down on you today not only for honoring her, but also for the positive role models you have been for many around you.

Thank you for sharing some of your stories with us. I hope my descriptions did them some justice, and followed your wishes to keep it general. It was an honor to meet you all. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

captnemo
03-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Great story, Darkskies. Hat's off to these guys and the sacrifices they made. In times of depression and economic turmoil, these are the stories I like to read. :clapping:

storminsteve
03-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Fantastic story, God bless those soldiers. Condolences on the loss of their Mother. May he keep that one man's daughter safe and that she return safely.:thumbsup:

jigfreak
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Cool story.:cool: