PDA

View Full Version : Fishing reports: Separating the hype from the reality....

DarkSkies
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
There's so much talk about internet spot burning and secrecy. I and a lot of others understand and support general reports. Sometimes I wonder if we're not just like the dying salmon swimming against the tide with this attitude. :huh:

All the talk of secrecy, keeping places under your vest...

And the latest issue of the NJ fisherman talks about them catching fish at every known location in NJ.
(that's a mis-statement, they actually left out one or 2 spots)

They're not just catching them, they're bailing them. If you read the reports, you would think the bass are jumping out of the water. :bigeyes: You would think you can catch them without even having a hook, just throw the clam, worm (of course available at the tackle shop where the report came from). :plastered:

DarkSkies
03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Support your local tackle shop. :thumbsup:

I know these guys have to sell bait to make a living, and with the poor economy they need every dollar. Some are struggling so much they are considering selling the shop for an easier life.

So it's understable that some of these people would get into the hype, or hyperbole.

They have to sell bait, tackle, and get the guys out fishin. There are some of the better ones out there who will actually tell you when the bite sucks, not to bother coming down. :clapping:

I guess the point of this thread is to learn to tell the difference between the hype and the reality. The truth is that the early season bass fishing in NJ is a waiting game, or a case of finding the limited bait concentrations and delivering that profile in an artificial to them.

The fish are out there now. They are available to those who want to put a lot of time in looking for them. There are those who can go to a beach, throw in a line, and in 2 minutes they'll have a fish on. Most of the others are sitting there as the small groups of fish make their way to a certain area at a certain time. And most of the fish being caught are small, with an occasional 20 thrown in.

After you fish more than a few seasons, you will see there's a lot of ego at stake out there. Some have learned to deal with it and make their own reports, making fishing assessments from yearly logs and records of past catches.

I thought I would throw this out there to see what others thought.

1.Have you bought into the hype, do you let yourself be manipulated by it?

2. Or do you go out there to try and make your own report?

3. What do you think of all the hype out there?

surfwalker
03-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Never relied on so-called reports, couldn't care less about them. If I'm going, I'm going and I make my own reports. It's for my own personal satisfaction.

cardoc765
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
:fishing: When I was younger and started going out on my own, I used to rely on tackle shop reports. I didn't know and better. As time went on and I got skunked a few times I started to wonder. Then I took it upon myself to say, regardless of what the magazines, tackle shops, or spot burners online say, I was going to go where I thought might be a good spot based on homework and years of knowing the area and fish. I personally think another reason they do this (especially spot burners) is so people will go to those places they burn and not where they are fishing. Heck, if someone I didn't really know asked me where I was catching my fish I woudl do the same. Send them somewhere else or at least educate them a bit on doing their own homework and telling them the bay or ocean is a big place and the fish don't have houses. They swim all over.

All this to say, there are many reasons for the hype. Like Dark, i agree these guys need to make a living. I've let guys sell me to much bait at times in the past when I had my boat. But even then, where ever I saw other boats most times I was fishing where they were not. Kinda like the party boat chasers. Guys in their boats following the party boats to spend their day catching small fish or none at all.

I was out at the hook with my boat one day with my dad, all the party boats were at the cedars and my dad was like "go there, they know where the fish are". I told him hold on. I looked at my gps and fishfinder and found a wide hole about 1/2 mile or so from them further off the tip of the hook and landed 6 fluke in the 6-7lb range while the party boat reports the next day said they got nothing but shorts.

SO go out and be a report maker. Listen to what others have to say jsut to know that fish are POSIBBLY biting out there and go find em.

storminsteve
03-25-2010, 02:20 PM
I want to be a tackle store hero. In fact, I want to be one so much I wrote a song about it. Actually I stole it from the band Foreigner. Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. ;)

Tackle shop hero

Standing in the rain, with his head hung low
Couldn't find the bunker, it was real slow
Heard the roar of the crowd, he could picture the scene
Put his ear to the fishing magazines, then like a distant scream
He heard one internet report, just blew him away :wow:
He saw stars in his eyes, and the very next day

Bought a beat up honey lami, in a secondhand store
Didn't know how to fish it, but he knew for sure
That one magic rod, felt good in his hands, didn't take long, to understand

Just one magic rod, slung way down low
Was a one way ticket, only one way to go
So he started fishin', ain't never gonna stop
Gotta keep on fishin', someday gonna make it to the top:cool:

And be a tackle store hero, got stars in his eyes, he's a tackle shop hero :rolleyes:
He took one lami rod, tackle shop hero, stars in his eyes
Tackle shop hero, (stars in his eyes) He'll come alive tonight

In a town without a name, on the Raritan Bay, :moon:
in a heavy downpour
Thought he passed his own shadow, by the go go lounge door :naughty:
Like a trip through the past, to that day in the rain

And that one lami rod, made his whole life change
Now he needs to keep on fishin', he just can't stop
Gotta keep on fishin', that boy has got to stay on top

And be a tackle shop hero, got cows in his eyes
He's a tackle shop hero, got bass in his eyes
Yeah, tackle shop hero, bunker bass in his eyes
With that one lami rod, (clams in his eyes)
He'll come alive, come alive tonight...Woah

Yeah, he's gotta keep on fishin', just can't stop
Gotta keep on fishin', that boy has got to stay on top of the tackle shop

He's just a tackle shop hero, aah aah aaah --- :plastered:

cowherder
03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
In a town without a name, on the Raritan Bay, :moon:
in a heavy downpour
Thought he passed his own shadow, by the go go lounge door :naughty:
Like a trip through the past, to that day in the rain
:plastered:

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Funny as hell Storminsteve! Been to the GGR or AD lately?

[/URL]

[URL="http://www.myspace.com/forbidden"]ForBiddeN twitter.com/Christine_Dolce (http://www.myspace.com/53746769) http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/124/s_ad73303890614ca9bd967a373bd53019.jpg (http://www.myspace.com/forbidden)

TILA TEQUILA (http://www.myspace.com/TilaTequila) http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/117/s_5c8e14b7ac034fff9aacd4399bc4fa98.jpg (http://www.myspace.com/TilaTequila)

gjb1969
03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
crazy :kooky:but guys have to put the time in and fish thats how u will see what works for u. so if they dont want to learn they can kick rocks:moon:

Monty
03-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Same here. I go whenever I can.
I do like hearing that some guys are catching fish (this site).
But that is more for the "congratulations", good to hear you got into some fish thing. Its a feel good thing.

Never relied on so-called reports, couldn't care less about them. If I'm going, I'm going and I make my own reports. It's for my own personal satisfaction.