PDA

View Full Version : Point Pleasant: Man Dies in Manasquan River/ PP Canal

bababooey
03-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I feel bad for all involved, but what the heck were they thinking?:huh:
Thoughts and prayers for the families.

POINT PLEASANT — A Long Beach Township man drowned after the canoe he was traveling in capsized this morning in the Point Pleasant Canal, State Police reported.

Aaron McLaoghlin, 28, and three friends were attempting to paddle their canoe from Treasure Island in the Manasquan River to Maxson Avenue Beach in Point Pleasant when their boat began taking on water near the canal entrance, State Police Detective Brian Polite said.

buckethead
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
The guy went missing yesterday morning around 9:30. They did not find the guy until late in the afternoon.

In this kind of cold water it does not take long before someone feels weak and goes under. Very Sad.

surferman
03-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Should have been wearing his pfd and a drysuit. Sad to hear.:(

wish4fish
03-28-2010, 02:35 PM
too late for that now, the guy was stupid now hes dead

BassBuddah
03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
That has to be harsh news for the family. Condolences

rip316
03-28-2010, 07:38 PM
S a f e t y f i r s t g u y s. Always

jigfreak
03-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Wow, a canoe. They don't allow PWC or anything in that canal the water rips by. I don't know why they thought that would be a good idea. That's a shame.

fishinmission78
03-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't know why they thought that would be a good idea.

Gods way of thinning people from the herd.

Doublerunner
03-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Gods way of thinning people from the herd.

This is one of the worst replies I have ever seen.

A young man is dead. We've all done things in our youth that were not the most thoughtful. Let's call it a tragic accident and leave it at that

cardoc765
03-30-2010, 08:33 AM
That just like the 4 guys who went fishing on the jetties in Morgan. When High tide came and they couln't stay on the rocks anymore, they got their friend to come in an inflatable boat to rescue them and that became a disaster. It sucks for anyone to lose their life. A year or so ago, football players in Florida out fishing on a 20ft center console, capsize and all die except for 1 I believe. My thing is, I just don't underdstand what people are thinking. The football players had to see a storm coming in and could have gone home.

One summer, my brother was out on our boat at the rip at Sandy Hook. Water was a bit choppy as it always is there, and behind him in a dude and his wife in an 18ft row boat with a little motor. He tells the guy he shouldn't be out there like that, and the guy flips him off. Mind ya, no pfd's on either of them. So my brother goes back to fishing and about an hourlater sees State police and coast guard heading right to him. Finally he decides to look around to see what they were heading his was for. The row boat dude took on a rode wave and over they went, him and her hanging off the sides of the boat as it floated upside down.

Think safety first at all times. Even when you don't think you need to. And do your homework and rationalize whether its worth doing and if so, how will you make it home safely no matter what changes on the water. :fishing:

fishinmission78
03-30-2010, 02:24 PM
This is one of the worst replies I have ever seen.

A young man is dead. We've all done things in our youth that were not the most thoughtful. Let's call it a tragic accident and leave it at that

Do you even know that water they were canoing in and the volume that flows through there? Coupled with the fact that we are approaching full moon, and the tides are stronger and higher. Those guys had no business being on that canoe out there in that water, and with 4 in one canoe they were probably overloaded to boot.
Am I sorry for what I said? No way.
Do I feel sorry for their families, and the fact that one family will never again be to talk to the guy who was a brother, cousin, or friend? They will never be able to share good times or fishing stories ever again.
Yes, I absolutely feel sorry for the families. And it was not a youthful indescretion, the guy was 28 and he should have known better.

...and behind him in a dude and his wife in an 18ft row boat with a little motor. He tells the guy he shouldn't be out there like that, and the guy flips him off. Mind ya, no pfd's on either of them. So my brother goes back to fishing and about an hourlater sees State police and coast guard heading right to him. Finally he decides to look around to see what they were heading his was for. The row boat dude took on a rode wave and over they went, him and her hanging off the sides of the boat as it floated upside down.

Think safety first at all times. Even when you don't think you need to. And do your homework and rationalize whether its worth doing and if so, how will you make it home safely no matter what changes on the water. :fishing:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::thumbsup: Now here is a dude who knows what time it is. Cardoc, your brother tried to help the azz-bag and the guy gave him the finger. Your brother was that guy's last chance, other than the coast guard. That's the thanks he got for trying to help.
I feel sorry for the guys wife that he brought her out there and put her life in danger. As for the guy in the 18footer, I again say that's Gods way of thinning out the herd.

Doublerunner, God bless you for feeling sorry for people who are too stupid to help themselves. I'm not that guy, if your stupidity kills you then you deserved to die.

Doublerunner
03-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Not the reply I had hoped for but it is the one I expected

cowherder
03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Sad to hear the news.

plugcrazy
03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Fishinmission78, what's up with you man? Just because people make mistakes does not mean that they deserve to die. What if it were your kid out there who this happened to, I bet your mouth would be shut then.:beatin:

fishinmission78
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Fishinmission78, what's up with you man? Just because people make mistakes does not mean that they deserve to die. What if it were your kid out there who this happened to, I bet your mouth would be shut then.:beatin:

Are you kidding me?
We have another one, would you like some cheese with that whine?
There were 4 people in that canoe, fail
The water temps were in the 40,s fail
No pfds, fail
No canoes, kayaks, or PWCs are allowed in that area, fail.
This was an epic fail, I bet they didn't even have a backup plan or tell anyone where they were going in case they ran into trouble.
I feel sorry for the families, not the guy who died. If you don't agree with me, fine, but show me the logic, the sensibility. A guy gets drunk and walks out in traffic and gets killed, are you going to cry for him too? Wah Wah Waambulance.:waaah:

rip316
03-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Fishinmission, I agree with you that it was not very smart for any of those people to be out in those conditions. I think what everyone is trying to say to you is that maybe your words should not have been so harsh. A man died and that is all we can say. Maybe we all can learn a valuable lesson from this and move on with our lives a little wiser. Fish safe and be well.

cardoc765
04-01-2010, 12:16 AM
See, I agree that the guys were stupid for doing what they did. Just like the football players in Florida, the dudes on the Morgan jetties, and the guy my brother saw. No sense of safety or common sense. However, it does suck for someone to lose their life. Now families suffer from someone's ignorance. When I see or hear of something like this I ask myself "what were they thinking" and "how could they put themselves in that predicament"? I guess since I wouldn't do something like that, I have a hard time wondering how someone else could. Hey, there are people all over the globe who don't think before they do something. I just hate to find out that their lack of thought or concern for safety caused a tragedy. I would have rather have heard that they were rescued and learned a lesson.