PDA

View Full Version : April Bluefish in the ocean - NJ

DarkSkies
04-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend from Brooklyn. They got a tip, and came over to NJ yesterday. They were fishing the surf in Northern NJ..

They got bluefish 8-10#. These were skinny racers. He said if they had been eating well they would be around 12-13.

Bite was on the incoming, and died at slack. The only thing that worked was bunker, artificials were ignored.

Every year they show up around the 2nd week of April. Sometimes sooner depending on the water temps.

Looks like we might see them in the back bays a bit earlier this year.

Monty
04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Great news Dark:HappyWave:, thanks, I can't wait to hook into a Blue.

Simp
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Nice! Bring on the Piranhas! :dribble:

gjb1969
04-05-2010, 03:47 PM
BLUEFISH!!!!!! BLUEFISH***** I NEED MY FIX###:wow::D

wish4fish
04-08-2010, 09:34 PM
dark u the man u called it sooner than any of the other sites out there! there in the rb we got em tonight with smak it poppers and small krocs

DarkSkies
04-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I was looking for those bluefish this morning. By April 14 is usually when some of the bay spots have the racers.

I specifically seek out the larger ones, I love to play with the demons. :dribble:

Other than the day they were intercepted in nomoco 2 weeks ago by the Brooklyn crew and Wish4fish's reports last week, they have not been caught consistently. The big ones reported 13 days ago are probably in Jamaica Bay already. When racers do show up we usually get a week or 2 of end-of-day action on small metal and poppers in the back bay areas.

They have shown up in another area in Monmouth county. These are very small, only 2-3#, but ideal size for a Dad to take his kids fishing for, bluefish and bunker, perfect together. ;)

I don't want to crowd the places they were being caught at this morning, but if any Dad wants to take his children fishing, PM me and I'll help ya out. :thumbsup:

skinner
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
I headed out last night and caught a 4lb blue after an hour. I was in the back, using a black bomber near structure.