PDA

View Full Version : How many of you actually research the Striper?

surfwalker
04-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I’m always curious.

Are you that interested in this fish that you’ll read, do research, find out the habits and ask endless questions about the Striper. Observe others at the wetline. One who experiments with the plugs they carry and find out for yourself what really works and when.

Or are you on the other hand, one who just relies on reports and what someone tells you to throw and where. In other words just interested in catching, no interest in the reasons how you catch.

Do you only plug for the Striper when the odds are in you favor (spring/fall), or the whole season?

Like I said, I’m always curious. There’s no right or wrong. To each his own.

We all like to catch, but sometimes the pursuit and accomplishment on our own is very satisfying, to me.

voyager35
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Do you only plug for the Striper when the odds are in you favor (spring/fall), or the whole season?

We all like to catch, but sometimes the pursuit and accomplishment on our own is very satisfying, to me.

I have been studying the striper for years surfwalker. I think I know slightly more about them than I know about women, but not much more. Women are infinitely harder to figure out.

I fish from a boat too, does that count? I fish for striped bass, fluke, sea bass when you are allowed to catch them, tog, bluefish, and sometimes drum and albies.

The bass are my preferred quarry, and to me present the most challenge. I like to look back at the end of a day when everything comes together and we ran into some nice fish. I use logs from previous years to do that, and also a fishermens sense when we are out on the water. I have heard stripers are in decline, and have some evidence of that. I would not be happy if we lost them as a resource. I don't eat all the fish I catch, but will eat bass. I think tog taste better.

surfstix1963
04-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I have studied them for years and still do you need to fully understand your quarry to make you a better fisherman.In fact they are really not beach related fish they are generally just passing through in search of food thats why they are there.It is not a hangout spot as an inlet or rocky shoreline would be with all of it's structure.

DarkSkies
04-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Women are infinitely harder to figure out.

Yep, sometimes they are...;)

I think the American Indians had a great take on this Surfwalker. They respected all animals they killed. They revered their spirits. They knew that those animals and fish provided them with opportunities, including striped bass.

We have gotten away from the "fish for sustenance" mode in modern society to a large degree, though there are still many people who fish to feed their families.

I have a thirst for all topics concerning striped bass. Where they are likely to be, how they travel, and how they bring economic and psychic benefit to wherever they can be found. That includes seeing their numbers flourish for many generations to come. It's hard to convey that thirst to someone who doesn't seem interested. I think through education some more people will become interested. :thumbsup:

porgy75
04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I still consider myself new at fishing so whenever I get some spare time I read up about stripers. The more time you put in and the better knowledge you have. It is not just about knowing the area and reading the water. You have to be fully informed about what you are going after.

finchaser
04-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Been studying them since the mid 60's and still studying and learning till this day. IMO most anyone can catch a bass in a blitz, it s figuring them out and catching them on a daily basis which makes it fun. Just when you think you got it down pat back to the drawing board.

Frankiesurf
04-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Always trying to learn more about them. A lot of times it takes some out of the box thinking to catch them and even that fails occasionally. I have definitely tried somethings that made my friends look at me like I was nuts.

I don't think you will get any report chasers posting about this. I do watch reports but I am looking for bait movement. That would be mostly in early spring or early/mid fall. I just like to keep an eye out on what is on the way towards my neck of the woods. I haven't been doing this long enough nor have I yet to keep a complete enough log throughout a whole season to be able to give myself an accurate determination of fish movement.

rip316
04-03-2010, 10:27 PM
I want to be like these experienced fishermen. I stumbled on an older guy fishing one morning as he was catching bass after bass. I just stood there in amazement. As I neared him he looks at me as I am just staring and he says " MORNING" I studdered the same and he just smiled at me. He looked at my ava17 and asked me if I had a ava 007.Which I did. He tells me to put it on and stand next to him. I did and he tells me to cast and reel slow with my rod pointed down. So i oblige. Instanly nailing a 31" bass. I am so excited at this point that I can not even think. He tells me good job and said that was todays lesson. They wanted a smaller metal. That was it. This guys walks off like a dream. I swear it was freaky. This is one of the reasons why I want to be a serious surfcaster. The right way. Story might sound crazy but, it is true.

Frankiesurf
04-03-2010, 10:32 PM
So you sold the boat already RIP?

ledhead36
03-01-2011, 08:23 AM
IMO most anyone can catch a bass in a blitz, it s figuring them out and catching them on a daily basis which makes it fun.

Spot-on advice, I agree.

baitstealer
10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I’m always curious.

Are you that interested in this fish that you’ll read, do research, find out the habits and ask endless questions about the Striper. Observe others at the wetline. One who experiments with the plugs they carry and find out for yourself what really works and when.

Or are you on the other hand, one who just relies on reports and what someone tells you to throw and where. In other words just interested in catching, no interest in the reasons how you catch.

I am interested in learning as much as I can surfwalker as I am what most people would consider a newbie. I fished with clams for a long time and now I occasionally try for them with lures and metal. It boggles my mind how hard it is to catch them with lures. With clams, something seems to be interested. With lures, you have to work real hard to get them to hit it. I am constantly asking myself why they will hit a certain thing made out of plastic metal or wood. People say they are dumb, but if they were I could probably catch more of them.

I think stripers are very smart, and am trying to learn all I can about them. I mean, even their migration pattern, how is it that stripers instinctively know to migrate from the Chesapeake bay all the way to the northern regions? There are no road mape in the ocean. Mind-boggling. Thank you for all of your input surfwaller. It seems you know a lot and I have learned from your posts.