PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for striper size limit

stripermania
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
N.J. anglers may get 24-inch stripers

By Al Ristori

April 12, 2010, 7:50PM

The N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife has proposed a change in striped bass regulations from the two at a minimum of 28 inches that applies all along the coast to a conservation equivalency of one at 24 inches or geater plus another of 32 inches or more. The Technical committee has approved that change which is calculated to actually improve the spawning stock biomass (SSB). The concept was accepted today during a conference call of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) Striped Bass Advisory Panel. Ex-state Senator Lou Bassano and I are the N.J. members of that panel, and we both supported the proposal. Some other members had reservations, but the vote ended in favor by 8 to 2.

The next step will be consideration at the ASMFC Spring Meeting. If approved there, the Division will have to consider setting up punlic hearings as this proposal was developed by the Marine Fisheries Council in conjunction with the state's marine scientists -- and the general public hasn't had much of a chance to weigh in the change. Furthermore, changes in striped bass regulations must be approved by the state legislature. The change could come this year, though I suspect 2011 is more likely.

Allen Riley of South Plainfield had the only report today. He said the weather was too nice at Sandy Hook, as fishing is rarely good under those circumstances. A couple of Riley's friends reported having caught bass of 34 and 29 inches on bait Sunday afternoon, but this morning was dead. Surprisingly, the water temperature had dropped off considerably to 48.9 degrees.

Riley noted that Divison law enforcement personal were checking anglers over the weekend for their Registry cards. Those without them got a warning -- and info on how to register.

Monty
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
I dislike this possible change and am in favor of 1 fish, 36 inches or bigger.

cardoc765
04-13-2010, 02:27 PM
We used to have that regulation a couple years ago. It was ok, but sometimes hurt knowing you had to throw back a nice fat what would be keeper today. It was one 28 or bigger and the 2nd had to be over 32 i believe. If anything gets done, this is better than shutting the fishery down like they did in 1982.

gjb1969
04-13-2010, 02:42 PM
just let me fish i am cool with it change size fine with me i get quite a few big fish but i dont keep them they go back or i give they to people who eat them i have lost more big fish in the last 3 years than i care to think of so it is what it is :rolleyes:

finchaser
04-13-2010, 03:41 PM
That is on hold

finchaser
04-13-2010, 03:43 PM
I dislike this possible change and am in favor of 1 fish, 36 inches or bigger.

what he said that's what brought them back the first time
Even 1 at 28 and 1 over 36 saves the most prolific breeders