PDA

View Full Version : What should I bring to Montauk?

porgy75
04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I want to start planning a trip to Montauk. What are some of the essentials I need to bring with me? When do the stripers hit Montauk?

dogfish
04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
You won't have quality fish there until June. Some runts maybe, but not much in the way of the bigger girls.

As for a trip list, you should bring 2 pairs of waders, 2 pairs of corkers, many bucktails in the 1-2oz range, a tray of pencil poppers, several changes of clothes, and lots of water or beer.:plastered::fishing:

Have you ever been there before? If not it might be a better idea to go with a friend or someone who has fished it a few times. The rocks up there are a bit dangerous for first timers. Good luck.

surfstix1963
04-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Depends on where you want to fish under the light, behind town on the open beaches,Shagwong etc. as mentioned above you should scout it out or go w/ someone it can be pretty tricky under the light especially in the dark only takes one good wave or rock to bang you up.Korkers are a must,bucktails,floating poppers,darters.(yellow,white and green have always been good)on the open beach treat it like any other.

Jackbass
04-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Yellow SS needles, yellow SS Darters, White Bucktails. The rocks under hero and under the light can be tricky you will need Korkers! other than that I would have a dry top, neoprene waders, breathables are ok but bring some patch kits just in case. Bring Red Bulls and 5 hour energies. A loaf of bread and peanut butter. you will be golden. Also bring a bunch of money if you plan on getting any of the over sand permits.

lostatsea
08-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Bring lots of bucktails. And then bring some more, you will lose them.