PDA

View Full Version : Manasquan Reservoir

Southpaw1123
05-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Is anyone familiar with fishing there? I am trying to plan a trip with a few buddies to get out with our kayaks. From what I have read there are some hybrid stripers and tiger muskies in there. Any information that you can post will be appreciated. Also is the state web page correct in saying that you can keep 2 hybrids at 16"? I am a C&R guy so it doesnt matter to me, but some of the others might want to keep them. We will be going in about 2 weeks, if anyone has a kayak and wants to hook up feel free. I will firm up the date and time in the next few weeks......Ray

voyager35
05-12-2008, 06:39 AM
It's a nice sized reservoir if you've never been there. In addition to those muskies, which are pretty hard to catch, you have some big bass and wipers in there.

Try a spinnerbait like a Rapala or Blue fox if the water and conditions are warm when you go. If it's a day like today, try dark worms crawled slowly near the bottom. You can either fish them with a lead Mr Twister hook setup, or very small egg sinker rigged in front. I usually use black or purple worms, don't bother with the other colors unless it's real warm out.

There is a bunch of dead trees on the side, try fishing the edges there, or look for areas where small streams and creeks empty into it, also good.

Don't have any pics from my trips there, but I found some on the net. It's a beautiful place. Once you go there, you will be back.

fishlipper
05-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Southpaw, this time of year I would also try a topwater crankbait or small jerkbait. Think they have catfish and smallmouth as well. Those tiger muskie are hard to catch, but worth a shot, here's a pic some guy caught few years ago. For muskies, try big blade spinners.