PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Reports Threads vs. Law Affecting Threads

surfwalker
04-22-2010, 08:41 AM
I’ve noticed that now and in the past, not only on this site, but even on others, that a fishing report thread gets so many more views than a thread that concerns laws that may (will) affect our fishing habits directly.

I’m not an activist or a nut on things, but I do know when law makers propose something, it’s already in the works. And if the main proposal isn’t passed then they already have set plans to follow up on, they want what they want. If we are not informed, educate ourselves and keep up with these proposals and voice our opinions, en masse, then they will push through all the curtailing laws that they want.

I thank finchaser, among others, who post these threads and have contributed to the bills that were imposed in the past that helped our addiction. The 200 mile limit, the bunker bills, the New Jersey Striped Bass Game Fish Status, access laws and so on. These bills were not always around, they were initiated by people that were concerned and then followed through, relentlessly. In other words they were informed and wanted change.

We all like to read the reports, I enjoy reading about a fishers time at the wetline. But we also have to keep an eye open to the laws that some of the pols try to get passed through, most are not to the fishers advantage.

I just get concerned when I see fishing report views in the thousands and then law affecting views in the minority.

It’s just my opinion and I’m not scolding anyone. But, my interest in the Bass, among other species, has always been immense and I like to keep myself informed on anything that may affect my fishing world.

Some things can be changed and some things can be prevented, if we are informed.

finchaser
04-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Well said:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Most of the times the people who ignore issues are the first to cast stones and b***h and moan after the bill or law is passed. If they used half that energy to stop a bill or law we wouldn't be in allot of these situations. Many things don't turn out as they are first posted,but public awareness is always key.

dogfish
04-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I just get concerned when I see fishing report views in the thousands and then law affecting views in the minority.

It’s just my opinion and I’m not scolding anyone. But, my interest in the Bass, among other species, has always been immense and I like to keep myself informed on anything that may affect my fishing world.

Some things can be changed and some things can be prevented, if we are informed.

Why should folks bother to keep informed surfwalker, the new mentality is take all the big bass while the getting good. Here in MA the numbers have been trending down the past few years, do you think lots of folks are paying attention to that? Maybe stripersforever is, but as far as mainstream fishing folk go, the voices of concern are so quiet it's almost like no one is listening. Anyone who talks about saving bass is politely listened to but many people must think of us as fanatics because otherwise more people might be talking it up. Or worse, they say people who look at options other than filling the cooler with big bass as tree huggers. I catch bass to feed my family, and have seen my numbers of big girls go down in the last 5 years.
Why should people be worried about bass, there are plenty to go around for centuries, as proven by all the internet reports and pictures.:kooky: Get in line to catch the big girls up, hurry you don't wanna miss yer chance.

7deadlyplugs
04-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Well said:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Most of the times the people who ignore issues are the first to cast stones and b***h and moan after the bill or law is passed. If they used half that energy to stop a bill or law we wouldn't be in allot of these situations. Many things don't turn out as they are first posted,but public awareness is always key.

Public awareness, why have public awareness, we now have internet fishing by the numbers, folks probably think we can hire people to give our fishing rights away, why bother. Apathy is the key word here.

DarkSkies
04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
When I meet people for the first time, after the usual notes comparing fishing reports, if they mention anything about bass numbers being down or weakfish being different, etc, I'll try to take the conversation in a direction about what's happing today and how it will affect us tomorrow. At that point about 90% of the guys' eyes will glaze over and I know it's time to stop.

I don't know how to change that, I wish I did Surfwalker. The old 90/10 rule seems to apply here as well. If we do have to pass another moratorium, we'll have plenty of time to then talk about what we could or should have done, won't we? :learn:

A lot of people don't seem to get it that many of the guys most vocal about it now have lived through it and know what they're talking about.

Bottom line:
A pic of a cow bass will always elicit more public involvement or comments.

seamonkey
04-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I’m not an activist or a nut on things, but I do know when law makers propose something, it’s already in the works. And if the main proposal isn’t passed then they already have set plans to follow up on, they want what they want. If we are not informed, educate ourselves and keep up with these proposals and voice our opinions, en masse, then they will push through all the curtailing laws that they want.

I thank finchaser, among others, who post these threads and have contributed to the bills that were imposed in the past that helped our addiction. The 200 mile limit, the bunker bills, the New Jersey Striped Bass Game Fish Status, access laws and so on. These bills were not always around, they were initiated by people that were concerned and then followed through, relentlessly. In other words they were informed and wanted change.

IDK Surfwalker, maybe people think that the fix is in, or that the lobbyist already helped the lawmakers to make the decisions. And yet you have people like you and finchaser and others who it seems have been fighting for years. How do you keep up the energy to keep the fight?

finchaser
04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Surfwalker, people like you and finchaser and others who it seems have been fighting for years. How do you keep up the energy to keep the fight? Quote

Because I lived through the last collapse and most people have no idea what is on the horizon only it's coming faster. These magnificent fish are not Dorrito's we can't make more. The writing is on the wall less and less small fish every year means breeding is down. Next will be less big fish leaving mediums and the bye bye again. Last time it was commercial guys this time its us which really has nothing to do with regulations. People do not have to kill everything they catch for INTERNET and tackle store driven ego's. A picture of a release has a big inpact on many leaving a lasting impression. Keeping a fish to eat is great letting a fish lie on the beach or deck of a boat in the heat then a picture and oops meat is soft and in a Dumpster is wrong.

clamchucker
08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
A lot of people don't seem to get it that many of the guys most vocal about it now have lived through it and know what they're talking about.

Bottom line:
A pic of a cow bass will always elicit more public involvement or comments.

Yes we have lived through it. There were times when you could go a month without catching a striped bass from shore. And that was in the prime part of the season. A lot of the younger people here don't remember that, or think it is made up. I can assure you it did happen.
No one likes being told what to do or someone yelling at them about conservation. The way we can all learn from the past is to be careful in how we catch, release, and not be greedy about the fish we eat. I sincerely hope we don't have another moratorium.

JakeF
08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=7021

surfwalker
08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Jake, I thank you for reporting the review of those meetings. Any information reported is invaluable to all of us as Striper seekers.

bluesdude71
12-01-2012, 10:30 AM

We all like to read the reports, I enjoy reading about a fishers time at the wetline. But we also have to keep an eye open to the laws that some of the pols try to get passed through, most are not to the fishers advantage.

Good point. What gets me is it appears a lot of times the legislators have their minds made up already. It is only when we make a big stink about it that there is a chance of changing things.